HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Confirmed Details of 2013 CBA & CBA Questions (Merged)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 07:40 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
NHL boosts benefits for former players

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...nefit-hike-cox

The Star has learned that last week, after ratifying a new collective bargaining agreement with the players on the heels of a painful 113-day lockout, NHL owners also unilaterally decided to improve a special benefit program for former players 65 and over by 50 per cent.

As of Monday, the NHL Players’ Association, which improved pension benefits for current players in the new CBA, had not committed to increasing its contribution to the Senior Player Benefit to $3 million annually..
.................................................. .....................................

The Senior Player Benefit, which started in 2005, has been in the headlines in recent months after the Star reported in November that neither the league nor the players had committed to continuing the fund after the old CBA expired Sept. 15.

.................................................. .................................................. ....
After the Star reported on the uncertainty facing retired NHLers who didn’t know if they would be getting Senior Player Benefit cheques in 2013 as scheduled, in December both the league and NHLPA relented and promised to continue funding the program.

Now, with the lockout over, NHL owners have gone a step further and increased their contribution, which would be worth $30 million over the next decade.

.................................................. ............................................
What remains unclear is why it’s the league taking the lead on this initiative and not NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr. Five years ago, former union boss Paul Kelly upped the union’s share and invited the league to do the same.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Riptide

vCash: 500
The CBA Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
I wonder if you can sign a player to a 1 yr deal on July 1st. Then extend him for 8 years. In theory he's a player with 1 yr left on his deal, and a player currently on your roster...

Also, NTC/NMC kick in right away... but what happens if it's a young RFA who's not yet eligible for a NTC yet who's sign an extension with the NTC/NMC ?? Does it still kick in right away thus giving it to them before they should be able to receive it? Or does this only count on players who are eligible for it, who sign extensions?

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
01-15-2013, 02:12 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I wonder if you can sign a player to a 1 yr deal on July 1st. Then extend him for 8 years. In theory he's a player with 1 yr left on his deal, and a player currently on your roster...
Nope.

- Unless they change the rules, a player on a 1 yr SPC can not sign an extension until Jan 1.

- In order to sign a player to an 8 yr deal/extension, the player has to be on a Club's reserve List as of the previous trade deadline - so in this case, if the player was signed as a UFA (or otherwise acquired after the trade deadline) he couldn't sign an 8 yr extension until after the next trade deadline (in Feb).

Quote:
Also, NTC/NMC kick in right away... but what happens if it's a young RFA who's not yet eligible for a NTC yet who's sign an extension with the NTC/NMC ?? Does it still kick in right away thus giving it to them before they should be able to receive it? Or does this only count on players who are eligible for it, who sign extensions?
The acceleration of the NTC/NMC only affects players already eligible for a NTC/NMC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA MOU Terms
26. No Move/No Trade Clauses
No Move/No Trade Clauses that are negotiated as part of a contract extension may become effective immediately upon execution of, but prior to the effectiveness of, the extension contract, provided:
a) The Player is otherwise currently eligible to have a No Move/No Trade Clause, and

b) The Club with whom the contract extension is entered into agrees to make the No Move/No Trade Clause effective immediately upon execution of the extension contract.

Last edited by kdb209: 01-15-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Nope.

- Unless they change the rules, a player on a 1 yr SPC can not sign an extension until Jan 1.

- In order to sign a player to an 8 yr deal/extension, the player has to be on a Club's reserve List as of the previous trade deadline - so in this case, if the player was signed as a UFA (or otherwise acquired after the trade deadline) he couldn't sign an 8 yr extension until after the next trade deadline (in Feb).

The acceleration of the NTC/NMC only affects players already eligible for a NTC/NMC.
Thanks. Interesting bit there that not all NTC/NMC have to take effect immediately, but only if the club/player agree for that to happen.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

Details of "accelerated amnesty buyout" (aka the Gomez/Redden Rule).

Old
01-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
I don't understand some of the language being used. Is the salary cap ceiling likely to rise every year over the new CBA?

Edit: Good, that makes things a bit more interesting for the next 10 years. Thanks Kemisti!

Last edited by Socratic Method Man: 01-21-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 03:43 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
I don't understand some of the language being used. Is the salary cap ceiling likely to rise every year over the new CBA?
Seems so. Growth rate may not be the same as during the previous CBA but some growth is still expected.

Ofc the cap is set at 64.3 for next season, then after that season it can start rising.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:27 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

A few things that stood out after my skimming of MOU:

First, waivers are set at 24 hours, regardless of day of the week.

Second, teams have to reserve 80 tickets for visiting team (50+ in lower bowl), 16+ tickets for NHLPA (16 RS; increases for playoffs). Didn't see reserved tickets for league, but that could be unchanged from previous CBA.

Third, struck me that CBA may be requiring more expenditures of support staff. Two+ trainers at all practices and games. And other explicit staff requirements (including specialties of doctors and medical staff within 50' of ice surface at games).

Fourth, nice that non-ELS players can opt for their own hotel room. (For this season, it'll be on a rooms-available basis, but next season, would be required.)

Fifth, a lot of post-2005 CBA negotiated agreements that are either included or explicitly excluded from incorporation in new CBA. I.e., Player-name letter on topic is to be included.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

... Also, fines can now be 50% of a players per day/game salary (up to $10k for first offense, $15k for subsequent).

Edit: and WRT scheduling, teams have to give players 4 days off/month -- two on the road, two at home.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 01-19-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 12:59 PM
pokerface1

Anyone have a link to the full CBA(not the 24 pg summary)?

I'm curious to know whether the draft eligibility rules were changed for non-NA players. Under the previous CBA non-NA's could be drafted at the age of 21 after being passed up in the previous 3 years(example: Magnus Nygren(06/90) drafted by Montreal in the 2011 draft.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:36 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface1 View Post
Anyone have a link to the full CBA(not the 24 pg summary)?

I'm curious to know whether the draft eligibility rules were changed for non-NA players. Under the previous CBA non-NA's could be drafted at the age of 21 after being passed up in the previous 3 years(example: Magnus Nygren(06/90) drafted by Montreal in the 2011 draft.
Wait a few weeks/months.

The lawyers for both sides are (still) working on it. (Expect big announcements, new stickied CBA FAQ thread and more when it happens.)

Old
02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416279
Bob Mckenzie clarifies that the only change to the NHL draft lottery is that the "winner" will take #1 draft spot (in first round). Odds of winning draft are not changing (this year).

Old
03-04-2013, 10:21 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417390
Draft lottery to be held 4/29. (For 14 non-playoff teams; reiterating above post -- any team can win #1 slot; odds unchanged from previous.)

Entry draft @ Prudential Center (NJ) on June 30 -- all 7 rounds. Starting @ 3pm ET.

While it hasn't been stated (yet), my guess is that RFA QOs will be due on 7/1 (Monday after draft) circa 5pm ET.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:48 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Have I missed the part of the CBA where the difference between the ceiling and floor expands?
Upper Limit = Midpoint + 15%
Lower Limit = Midpoint - 15%

with the caveat $16M <= (Upper Limit - Lower Limit) <= $28M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL / NHLPA CBA MOU
The Payroll Range for 2013/14 shall be as follows:

Lower Limit = $44 Million
Midpoint = $54.15 Million
Upper Limit = $64.3 Million

Beginning in 2014/15, and on a going forward basis, the Payroll Range will be calculated as follows:
a) The Midpoint will be calculated in accordance with the formula utilized in the expired CBA, including with respect to the year-over-year growth factor and using 50% as the applicable Players’ Share.

b) The Upper and Lower Limits will be determined as follows:
• Upper Limit: +15% of the Adjusted Midpoint
• Lower Limit: -15% of the Adjusted Midpoint
• Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Upper Limit shall never fall below $64.3M during the term of this Agreement and the magnitude of the Payroll Range shall never fall below $16 million and never rise above $28 million (from Lower Limit to Upper Limit).

Old
03-30-2013, 02:02 AM
Peter Griffin

CBA question (Effectively "loaning" players via trade)

Does anyone know if there is a rule in the new CBA preventing a team from "loaning" a player so to speak for a playoff run? For example, if a team has a player signed past the current season but is out of the playoff race and another team is interested in that player but doesn't have the cap space in the following season, could a team trade this player with the intentions of re-acquiring this player via trade in the off-season, effectively "renting" the player?

I believe there was a rule preventing this type of move in the past because of the waiver draft but does anyone know for sure if this rule is still apart of the CBA? I would imagine it is, but don't know for sure. Thanks!

Last edited by kdb209: 03-30-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old
03-30-2013, 02:26 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Does anyone know if there is a rule in the new CBA preventing a team from "loaning" a player so to speak for a playoff run? For example, if a team has a player signed past the current season but is out of the playoff race and another team is interested in that player but doesn't have the cap space in the following season, could a team trade this player with the intentions of re-acquiring this player via trade in the off-season, effectively "renting" the player?

I believe there was a rule preventing this type of move in the past because of the waiver draft but does anyone know for sure if this rule is still apart of the CBA? I would imagine it is, but don't know for sure. Thanks!
You can "intend" to re-acquire the player but you can not discuss this idea with a player and come to some sort of agreement. As in, you cannot tell the player "we will trade you for assets as long as you sign with us again this off-season."

That would be circumvention.. you can re-acquire a player though. Just can't have it established or anything pre-planned with the player/agent.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
You can "intend" to re-acquire the player but you can not discuss this idea with a player and come to some sort of agreement. As in, you cannot tell the player "we will trade you for assets as long as you sign with us again this off-season."

That would be circumvention.. you can re-acquire a player though. Just can't have it established or anything pre-planned with the player/agent.
By re-acquire, does that also include through trade? The scenario I'm thinking of is one in which a player is signed long term when he is dealt at the deadline, "rented" for the remainder of that season and playoffs, and then dealt back to his original team in the off-season. I re-call there being a rule in either the previous CBA or the one before it that prevented a player being dealt within a certain amount of time prior to the annual waiver draft and then being dealt back to the original team after(I think it was a year), but with the removal of the waiver draft, does such a rule still exist?

Old
03-30-2013, 01:08 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
By re-acquire, does that also include through trade? The scenario I'm thinking of is one in which a player is signed long term when he is dealt at the deadline, "rented" for the remainder of that season and playoffs, and then dealt back to his original team in the off-season. I re-call there being a rule in either the previous CBA or the one before it that prevented a player being dealt within a certain amount of time prior to the annual waiver draft and then being dealt back to the original team after(I think it was a year), but with the removal of the waiver draft, does such a rule still exist?
No. The purpose of that rule was to prevent a team from stashing a player they otherwise could not protect in the Waiver Draft. A player traded within 4 weeks before the Waiver Draft could not be re-acquired by his original team during that season.

There is no similar rule now.

A team is free to want to re-acquire a player - but there can be no binding agreement to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL By-Laws Section 9.4

9.4 A Member Club shall not loan a player to another Member Club. All transfers between Member Clubs (including transfers resulting from draft claims or purchase persuant to Section 16A or the Expansion Draft Regulations or as an equalization payment for a free agent resulting from negotiation or arbitration under Section 9A) shall be absolute and shall not contain any provision:
(a) for the return or other disposition of the rights to the services of that player at any future time; or

(b) restricting in any way the transferability of that player at any future time.
In addition, if a team did re-acquire a player and it appeared to the League that the intent of the trades was to be a loan in violation of that By-Law, the the teams could be subject to investigation and sanctions under the No Circumvention rules of Article 26.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
No. The purpose of that rule was to prevent a team from stashing a player they otherwise could not protect in the Waiver Draft. A player traded within 4 weeks before the Waiver Draft could not be re-acquired by his original team during that season.

A team is free to want to re-acquire a player - but there can be no binding agreement to do so.

In addition, if a team did re-acquire a player and it appeared to the League that the intent of the trades was to be a loan in violation of that By-Law, the the teams could be subject to investigation and sanctions under the No Circumvention rules of Article 26.

Great, thanks! I probably could've just avoided making a thread and just directly PM'ed you as I figured you'd be the one to answer it for me.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:00 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:

Curious, does 9.4.B nullify all NTC/NMC clauses or is that in some other rule? Sounds like that just prohibits teams from saying "I'll trade you player X as long as you don't trade him to my rival"

Old
04-02-2013, 01:21 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://nhl.si.com/2013/04/02/new-cba...-deadline-day/

Quote:
The old American Hockey League Clear Day roster deadline, once a hand-in-hand event with the NHL trade deadline, is no more, thanks to the new CBA.
What does that mean? In the past, teams had to determine which eligible players they would make available to their farm teams for the postseason the same day as the trade deadline. Once those decisions were made, NHL teams were limited to four minor league call-ups the rest of the regular season, unless an emergency situation dictated the need for more.
And now? NHL clubs still have to decide which eligible players they want to participate in the chase for the Calder Cup, but they won’t have to worry about the paper transactions — sending players down to the A and then recalling them in time to play that night — that used to take up valuable time on the busiest day of the year.

More importantly, the four recalls limitation is gone, which benefits both the parent and farm club.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:28 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
The last line seems to contradict the Summary of Terms:
Quote:
The existing “Four Recall Rule” will continue to be applicable, but only during the period between the Trade Deadline and the end of the Regular Season. Following the conclusion of the NHL Regular Season, a Club may exercise an unlimited number of additional Regular Recalls provided that it may have no more than three (3) Players on its Active Roster who were recalled by way of Regular Recall after the Trade Deadline, unless the fourth Player had been recalled during the Regular Season in which case such Player may remain in the NHL.
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

Old
04-02-2013, 02:16 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
The last line seems to contradict the Summary of Terms:

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf
The SI article seems to be incorrect. I think in the previous CBA the four reall rule extended into the playoffs, where as now it ends at the conculsion of the regular season.

I know at one proposal the NHLPA made during negotiations they proposed complete elimination of the 4 recall rule.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:31 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The CBA Questions Thread

This thread will help to centralize questions about the new CBA, and particularly to keep the "links" thread nice and clean.

Fire away with your CBA Q&A...

Old
04-02-2013, 05:06 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Do players demoted to the AHL still have to physically report?

A team trades a draft pick for a rental, and in order to fit him onto the 23 man roster, reassigns an ELC to the AHL, with the expectation they'll return to the NHL team after the deadline. Does that player still have to report to the AHL team? If so, could they still be assigned to the ECHL if that happened to be closer?

Closed Thread