HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 7: RIP Roger Ebert

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 09:11 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Alright, going to be checking out at least two houses and three condos on Saturday. We'll see how it goes....
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
do you have any freebie advice on building upper body strength? i'm fine w/ cardio - and i do work out with a trainer...but i fail at most upper body exercises...and i'm bad at doing them on my own...i usually screw up the form...and my trainer has told me that what i'm good at is building muscle knots in my shoulders b/c of trouble executing basic arm lists.

she says that it's not unusual for females to have trouble developing upper body strength if they have a normal gym routine (i.e. i'm not into body building).

that's my one problem at the gym...i'm fine w/ the cardio - and other trainer led exercises - but the killer is not am i apparently unable to build any upper body strength i can't even do basic exercises on my own w/o messing them up
It's hard to say without being able to see your body type and strength level, so with that said... I'd really just suggest ditching actual weights, if you do use them and the machines often, and doing more core work. Some time this weekend I'll try and gather some pictures of a bunch of core workouts for you to do.

I have my orientation Saturday and am hoping I get my books, so that would likely have a bunch of stuff in there I could send you that I haven't learned yet, despite all the time I spend in the gym.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:44 PM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

vCash: 500
Anyone ever go to Mariano's? We just got one in Frankfort, it's the only grocery store I actually look forward to go to.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:13 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Visited a half dozen places, think I'm leaning more towards condos over houses now. Saw a two-story unit that I absolutely love, but the taxes might be a tad too high for me to realistically afford.

Will all depend on what kind of a loan I can get, and obviously will need to visit more places as if I found a place I really, really liked after only a single day, there's bound to be lots of other great places, too.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

I have an amazing idea for a GDT.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:57 PM
RayP

Grilled some killer pork chops tonight for dinner.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

My GDT is almost finished, so if you want me to use it, I'm totally fine with it.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
Anyone ever go to Mariano's? We just got one in Frankfort, it's the only grocery store I actually look forward to go to.
Have one right by my house and another getting built that's even closer. Only place my girlfriend and I grocery shop anymore. Phenomenal store, great prices. Like you said, it actually makes me want to grocery shop and look forward to it. Never thought those words would ever leave my mouth.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:05 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
My GDT is almost finished, so if you want me to use it, I'm totally fine with it.
FYI, Detroit lineups have to be in magenta.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
FYI, Detroit lineups have to be in magenta.
That's fine. Do I have to use a particular color for the Hawks?

Old
03-30-2013, 08:11 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Black or red, I don't care. That's just the tradition for Detroit.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Black or red, I don't care. That's just the tradition for Detroit.
Alright, you got it. I'll do my best.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:40 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Good luck!

It's hard to say without being able to see your body type and strength level, so with that said... I'd really just suggest ditching actual weights, if you do use them and the machines often, and doing more core work. Some time this weekend I'll try and gather some pictures of a bunch of core workouts for you to do.

I have my orientation Saturday and am hoping I get my books, so that would likely have a bunch of stuff in there I could send you that I haven't learned yet, despite all the time I spend in the gym.
I'm 5'7 and would say i'm average weight for my height...although i'm always trying to lose "the last 5 lbs" i'm quite "normal" in appearance, if that makes any sense. my weight is pretty static - i don't gain it (or, i guess, lose it) easily. i'm not curvy though...i think you call my body shape "ruler"...but if do gain wait it's around my mid-section...it's not on my hips & lower

the one thing is i've got fairly small shoulders and horrible upper body strength...and i have to admit i've got very bad posture. i don't really ever get lower back pain...but i do have shoulder/neck tension. it's probably "desk job" type pain (and in my job i've previously spent a lot of time travelling...sitting on planes and airports...and i think that had a bad effect b/c my workout schedule - especially b/c after working/travelling i'd invariably lie on my bed in my hotel).

i'm in my early 30s and am admitting to myself that i've led a pretty sedentary lifestyle that i'm afraid is either catching up to me (or will soon). it doesn't help that, like i said, my weight doesn't really change much...which means i'm not always inspired to "hit the gym". it doesn't help that i'm pretty uncoordinated - so have never really been into sports...and i'm not really an "outdoorsy" person...which means my form of exercise has been pretty much limited to the gym...which is fine and all...but it also means that when i run into, um, "motivation" issues it's not like i have some other form of physical activity (like a local soccer league) to fall back on

my other problem is i don't love a lot of gym exercises...so usually limit myself to the elliptical...which is fine for cardio, i think...but not much else.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Cullksinikers

I had buffalo wings, shrimp scampi, steak Diane, and mash potatoes at Cheesecake Factory tonight. It had been a couple years since my last trip. Better than what I remembered.

Last edited by Cullksinikers: 03-31-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old
03-31-2013, 10:37 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Weekly weigh-in report... stayed exactly the same, 175.4 lbs. No shocker, as I had a cheat day recently, but still disappointing that I essentially only lost 4 lbs in March.

Still, down 46+ lbs since January's not too bad.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:49 AM
RayP

Watched Lincoln last night. Normally I throw a fit to watching any movie beyond 2+ hours, but that movie kicked some serious ass I thought.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:07 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I'm 5'7 and would say i'm average weight for my height...although i'm always trying to lose "the last 5 lbs" i'm quite "normal" in appearance, if that makes any sense. my weight is pretty static - i don't gain it (or, i guess, lose it) easily. i'm not curvy though...i think you call my body shape "ruler"...but if do gain wait it's around my mid-section...it's not on my hips & lower

the one thing is i've got fairly small shoulders and horrible upper body strength...and i have to admit i've got very bad posture. i don't really ever get lower back pain...but i do have shoulder/neck tension. it's probably "desk job" type pain (and in my job i've previously spent a lot of time travelling...sitting on planes and airports...and i think that had a bad effect b/c my workout schedule - especially b/c after working/travelling i'd invariably lie on my bed in my hotel).

i'm in my early 30s and am admitting to myself that i've led a pretty sedentary lifestyle that i'm afraid is either catching up to me (or will soon). it doesn't help that, like i said, my weight doesn't really change much...which means i'm not always inspired to "hit the gym". it doesn't help that i'm pretty uncoordinated - so have never really been into sports...and i'm not really an "outdoorsy" person...which means my form of exercise has been pretty much limited to the gym...which is fine and all...but it also means that when i run into, um, "motivation" issues it's not like i have some other form of physical activity (like a local soccer league) to fall back on

my other problem is i don't love a lot of gym exercises...so usually limit myself to the elliptical...which is fine for cardio, i think...but not much else.

I hear you on the posture thing. I have to consciously fix mine on a daily basis, otherwise I'll hunch or slouch too much, or not relax my shoulders enough.

How would you rate your core? Most people underwork that part at the gym, and that would be my first suggestion, is to improve your core. How well and how many different core exercises do you know of that you can add to your routine?

Old
04-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Watched Lincoln last night. Normally I throw a fit to watching any movie beyond 2+ hours, but that movie kicked some serious ass I thought.
Need to see that still. It's OnDemand right now so might fire it up this week.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:06 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Need to see that still. It's OnDemand right now so might fire it up this week.
I am super picky when it comes to movies, and try and protest having to sit thru anything 2+ hours long. Loved this one that I'll happily watch it again.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

Quote:
I am super picky when it comes to movies, and try and protest having to sit thru anything 2+ hours long. Loved this one that I'll happily watch it again.
Ray likes 80 minute romantic comedies.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:24 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Old
04-02-2013, 12:29 PM
RayP

More into just downright stupid comedies, like Step Brothers, Tropic Thunder, Anchorman, Super Bad etc.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

I like what ever I think is good. The length of the film doesn't bother me if it holds my attention. I can watch the LOTR trilogy all day, every day.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:44 PM
RayP

After about 30-45 minutes is when my mind starts to just wander completely off topic and away from 95% of the movies I watch.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

My best friend is like that. It's funny, because he reads books all day.

I love reading. That just doesn't make sense to me, though.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:

More into just downright stupid comedies, like Step Brothers, Tropic Thunder, Anchorman, Super Bad etc.
Please tell me you have seen Borat.

Closed Thread