HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

(HF Story) Kevin Prendergast Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
(HF Story) Kevin Prendergast PT 1

The article covering the first portion of my discussions with Kevin Prendergast are now up on the first page: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Keep in mind that this is the first of three articles that will stem from the past weekend during which time I spoke with K.P. on a couple different occasions.

This first piece is basically an update on prospects within the organization. There will be a WJC piece following this and then a third article detail scouting policies and practices of the present day Oilers and how they may differ from how things used to be years ago.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Guy Flaming: 12-23-2003 at 11:43 PM.
Old
12-23-2003, 11:09 PM
elphy101

Great Read. Looking good Guy. Keep up the good work.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:13 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
concerning the points that the Oilers have $2m still left to play with this year (after the whole Comrie business) which someone who i can't remember who said that the Oilers have. This is why i think they will not spend that money and stick it into 'reserves'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Predergast
at the end of the year we're going to look at all our prospects, look at our situation, and see how much money we have left over

Old
12-24-2003, 03:27 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Great Read. Looking good Guy. Keep up the good work.

What he said.

Old
12-24-2003, 03:50 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
concerning the points that the Oilers have $2m still left to play with this year (after the whole Comrie business) which someone who i can't remember who said that the Oilers have. This is why i think they will not spend that money and stick it into 'reserves'.
I think this idea of reserves is a load of crap. I don't think there is any such things as room under the budget or reserves for a team that not too long ago made a cash call to the owners. Until Lowe actually spends money, then I'll believe that. The only reason we even got Oates is because they wouldn't have to pay him for the whole year. The Oilers have no money and if they are going to turn this around, if will be with callups from TO.

Old
12-24-2003, 06:44 AM
woody

wow that was only part 1, great story I am looking forward to part 2&3.
thank you

Old
12-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Thanks for the good read, Guy. The Q&A format is the best because it allows you to squeeze in much more information than a regular article.

Old
12-24-2003, 07:29 AM
Mr Sakich

Guy, I hope the editors of the Sun and journal come to this site. Your interviews are consistently superior to anything that has appeared in their papers this year.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:08 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
Thanks for the good read, Guy. The Q&A format is the best because it allows you to squeeze in much more information than a regular article.

"Part 2" is probably going to come after a WJC piece I am about to start writing. The WJC story might have a quip or two in it from K.P. but is mostly made up of quotes from Oiler rookies and vets and also a couple vets from the Canucks who have played in the tournament. I want that story to hit your screen during the early parts of the tournament so because of timing, Part 2 of the K.P. interview is going to come after the WJC article. But be patient because I think it will be the better read between Part 1 & 2.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:17 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
Guy, I hope the editors of the Sun and journal come to this site. Your interviews are consistently superior to anything that has appeared in their papers this year.

Thanks M.W.! I have talked to one of those papers already but haven't actually sent them anything yet. I was told to come up with something "sexy" by which I took to mean "interesting or controversial" I think I've got the interesting down already but the controversial...

Old
12-24-2003, 08:22 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Thanks M.W.! I have talked to one of those papers already but haven't actually sent them anything yet. I was told to come up with something "sexy" by which I took to mean "interesting or controversial" I think I've got the interesting down already but the controversial...
That's what I like so much about your writing - you don't try to make it controversial when it isn't. You are always able to write an interesting story, without having to make in sensational to compensate for a lack of writing ability.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:25 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
That's what I like so much about your writing - you don't try to make it controversial when it isn't. You are always able to write an interesting story, without having to make in sensational to compensate for a lack of writing ability.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Personally I think interesting should sell as many papers as controversial... I know it probably doesn't but it should.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Thanks man, I appreciate that. Personally I think interesting should sell as many papers as controversial... I know it probably doesn't but it should.
And you wonder why the Sun keeps a player/agent's lackey like Brownlee around. My God, he probably earned his entire year's salary with the Winter leak about the $2.5 million dollar request.

I am sure that your writing will be in print before you know it.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I am sure that your writing will be in print before you know it.

It is. I contribute to the Edmonton Oilers' ZONE Magazine that they sell at the games. I write the "Future Oilers" page. I've done about 15 issues so far. Next time you're at a game buy one... it's usually about page 47 just left of center in the book.

Also contributing to the Edmonton Sprots Scene for the past couple of months. i write a Toronto Roadrunners column for that monthly paper but just yesterday the boss says he thinks he's going to move me up to the Oilers column. (is that a promotion in just two months?)

But I think I know what you meant Slats and these are not one of the big two dailys here in Rivercity. I'm not so sure I should hold my breath.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:23 AM
momentai

Great read Guy.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:08 PM
GorillazXL

GuyF

Excellent article, good work, though I'm kindda cheesed that you had the board worked up about Jaques... Though his shoulder situation is pretty serious, its not as huge as an ego thing, thank god.

GXL

Old
12-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Shizuka

Once again, GuyF, a fantastic article. I have to echo the sentiments here, that your writing and professionalism is exemplary! I also feel the need to praise the Oilers organization for allowing access to the scouting staff and even to go to games / scouting trips with them! That is amazing, and the warm welcome they've given you should be commended. Fantastic to see!

Last edited by Shizuka: 12-24-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old
12-24-2003, 04:27 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
I would venture that "sexy" means an article that will 'make you look', then doesn't let you look away until you're finished. Of course, after you're finished, you want more.
Your 'up close and personal' view of the Oilers does that for us.
Thanx Guy.

Old
12-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Oilhitch

Thanks for the article Guy. I am always very interested in the development of the prosepcts. Soemtimes it is very tough to find updates on some of the players. Keep them coming I look forward to the next 2 articles.

Old
12-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Great read, I especially enjoyed reading what Mr. Prendergast had to say about the Swedish prospects.

One thing though; he mentioned that Joukov was called up to HV 71 but only played on the fourth line. Actually, Joukov hasn't played any SEL games with HV 71 this season. HV71 called up their prospects earlier this season during an international tournament but then they decided to play Sharks prospect Alexander Hulth and undrafted Sebastian Meijer instead of Joukov. So he hasn't made his elite debut yet.

I have liked what I have seen of Joukov in the second tier league this year. He is definitely great when he has the puck but not as impressive when he is without the puck. He needs to work with that. Sometimes he seems to be floating a bit also and his work-ethics could use some improvements IMO.

Old
12-25-2003, 04:21 PM
HOZ

Great article! Enjoyed it a lot!

Old
12-25-2003, 08:11 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
One thing though; he mentioned that Joukov was called up to HV 71 but only played on the fourth line. Actually, Joukov hasn't played any SEL games with HV 71 this season. HV71 called up their prospects earlier this season during an international tournament but then they decided to play Sharks prospect Alexander Hulth and undrafted Sebastian Meijer instead of Joukov. So he hasn't made his elite debut yet.

I have liked what I have seen of Joukov in the second tier league this year. He is definitely great when he has the puck but not as impressive when he is without the puck. He needs to work with that. Sometimes he seems to be floating a bit also and his work-ethics could use some improvements IMO.

Thanks for the added info there Predatore... always nice to have someone on the scene who can fill in the holes for us. I don't think K.P. has actually been over there yet... i know he's going twice in 2004 though.

Old
12-26-2003, 07:50 AM
Ben Dover

vCash:
because there are oiler fans from around the world posting here, I wonder if KP ever comes here to catch up on his prospects?

Old
12-26-2003, 08:02 AM
aspin

Thanks

Thanks for the Horacek, Legg, Dufort, Dewan, Antilla, Caron, Fisher and Hrabal questions Guy. That is to bad about Dufort. It is really disappointing news about Antilla. Legg must really have been dropped as K.P. had it wrong and he is actually in the CHL and not the ECHL anymore.

Guy, as for your articles...try not to change too much. Don't sell out for the "sexy". Your articles are far more interesting and informative than any other heresay that we always get here.

Closed Thread