HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2013, 04:50 PM
  #651
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
That ring idea is pretty neat - looking forward to watching a Canucks game from up there!

 
Old
03-29-2013, 05:14 PM
  #652
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
That ring idea is pretty neat - looking forward to watching a Canucks game from up there!
in hockey configuration you might be looking directly down onto the ice

gstommylee is online now  
Old
03-29-2013, 05:25 PM
  #653
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
in hockey configuration you might be looking directly down onto the ice


Yeah that Blip out? You will be close to the ice. crazy

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 06:04 PM
  #654
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"
 
Blue Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/to-a...-gold-faithful

Update from Hansen.

He talks about the sonic rings in the upper part of the arena
"Click images to embiggen"? That's awesome that he would use that word.

Blue Goose is online now  
Old
03-29-2013, 06:05 PM
  #655
Stonewall
Registered User
 
Stonewall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
in hockey configuration you might be looking directly down onto the ice
That would be sweet.

Stonewall is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 07:59 PM
  #656
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 1m
MT @nickmonacelli: BREAKING: New court docs reveal no minority owners plan to submit #nbakings 7% offer by 4/1 auction deadline.

The 7% is good as Hansen's

gstommylee is online now  
Old
03-29-2013, 08:00 PM
  #657
Shaz
Registered User
 
Shaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tacoma, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
This sale is as good as done

Kings will be the Sonics next season

Awesome news

Shaz is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
  #658
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
apparently right of first offer goes until apirl 10/12 which ever it is but not sure if no one wants to bid by apirl first why would that date matter.

there really only 2 that could match if wanted two JK (who dropped out from making an offer) doesn't seem too and not sure who that other person is that owns about 3%.

gstommylee is online now  
Old
03-29-2013, 10:22 PM
  #659
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
So how close is this to being Kings to Seattle with no minority owners coming forth?

Deadline soon?

If my deductive reasoning is correct, if P, then Q, so the if the NBA in Seattle this fall, the NHL will be as well.

The entire premise of the NHL being in Seattle is based on the NBA since the arena is based on getting the Kings?

Hello Coyotes?

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 01:03 AM
  #660
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
So how close is this to being Kings to Seattle with no minority owners coming forth?

Deadline soon?

If my deductive reasoning is correct, if P, then Q, so the if the NBA in Seattle this fall, the NHL will be as well.

The entire premise of the NHL being in Seattle is based on the NBA since the arena is based on getting the Kings?

Hello Coyotes?
Yes we have to get the Kings for coyotes to be here in fall.

we'll find out which way the NBA is leaning after the 3rd. Supposedly if Hansen gets approved as minority owner of the 7% he would have ROFR so by chance NBA says no to the 65% maloofs try to sell locally hansen can claim ROFR thus getting the kings. On top of that local group has to match the 72% or even more if Hansen accquires even more shares of the team.

gstommylee is online now  
Old
03-30-2013, 01:51 AM
  #661
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,149
vCash: 50
The problem is that Hansen doesn't want to own the NHL team, beyond possibly a minority position. The big question is what about other arena revenues. The NHL business model does not work without the team getting at least some of the ancillary arena revenue. A separate-owners scenario works in the American Airlines Center in Dallas because the NBA and NHL owners split ownership, and income, 50/50. Would Hansen give up 50% of concert and other non-sports income on an ongoing basis? And how would he feel about an NHL team competing with his Sonics for fan dollars? Seems that Paul Allen and Les Alexander prefer to pocket all the revenues, and block an NHL team. And then there was ASG, who basically ran the Thrashers out of town in Atlanta.

"The devil is in the details", but we would have to see what terms he offers potential NHL partners.

knorthern knight is online now  
Old
03-30-2013, 10:20 AM
  #662
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
The problem is that Hansen doesn't want to own the NHL team, beyond possibly a minority position. The big question is what about other arena revenues. The NHL business model does not work without the team getting at least some of the ancillary arena revenue. A separate-owners scenario works in the American Airlines Center in Dallas because the NBA and NHL owners split ownership, and income, 50/50. Would Hansen give up 50% of concert and other non-sports income on an ongoing basis? And how would he feel about an NHL team competing with his Sonics for fan dollars? Seems that Paul Allen and Les Alexander prefer to pocket all the revenues, and block an NHL team. And then there was ASG, who basically ran the Thrashers out of town in Atlanta.

"The devil is in the details", but we would have to see what terms he offers potential NHL partners.
But there is a reason he is building the rink as multi-functional though. Unlike the Barclay's Centre in Brooklyn, Hansen has gone out of his way to build the rink to accomodate NHL hockey. I gotta think he will be willing to work with the potential NHL owners, particularly if they are willing to put money into the new rink, creating a partnership in owning the rink as well.

Holden Caulfield is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 03:03 PM
  #663
gmjevtwa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Everett, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
The problem is that Hansen doesn't want to own the NHL team, beyond possibly a minority position. The big question is what about other arena revenues. The NHL business model does not work without the team getting at least some of the ancillary arena revenue. A separate-owners scenario works in the American Airlines Center in Dallas because the NBA and NHL owners split ownership, and income, 50/50. Would Hansen give up 50% of concert and other non-sports income on an ongoing basis? And how would he feel about an NHL team competing with his Sonics for fan dollars? Seems that Paul Allen and Les Alexander prefer to pocket all the revenues, and block an NHL team. And then there was ASG, who basically ran the Thrashers out of town in Atlanta.

"The devil is in the details", but we would have to see what terms he offers potential NHL partners.
It is true that Hansen is more interested in owning an NBA team in Seattle. However, if he were not interested in having an NHL team, why would his group design a new arena to include an NHL regulation-size rink? Did you know that the previous SuperSonics owner (Barry Ackerly from 1983-2001) purposely had the current KeyArena venue designed as a basketball venue only, which cannot accommodate a regulation-size hockey rink without folding up one entire end of the seating? In the end, the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City, and the WHL Seattle Thunderbirds moved south to suburban Kent.

As noted in the agreement between Hansen, the city of Seattle and the county officials, securing an NBA team is the priority in getting the new arena built, which includes another vote by city and county councils, the completion of an economic and environmental reports and the resolution of at least one more lawsuit. Even Hansen admits that an NHL team needs to be included for the new arena to be viable. The project would receive an additional $80 million in funds by the county if a NHL team is also secured after an NBA team is secured.

Being on the outside as just a fan, I'm not certain about the intricacies of arena agreements in other cities where the NBA and NHL share venues. It sounds very complicated and is certainly out of my range. I'm only familiar with what I've read in the news (including KING 5 TV [NBC]), the Sonics Arena website, the fan site Sonics Rising and the city of Seattle's press releases, as well as Seattle's very notable history involving past and current franchises and the long, drawn-out process of building and/or rebuilding arenas and stadiums.

Considering Hansen and the Seattle Arena group are, as of this posting, preparing to present their case to the NBA owners in a few days and will find out if the transfer of ownership and relocation will be approved on around April 18 or 19, any discussion about arena revenues for a potential Seattle NHL team is speculation and will certainly be discussed by the people responsible for both teams and the new arena in due time, whenever that is.


Last edited by gmjevtwa: 03-30-2013 at 06:59 PM.
gmjevtwa is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 03:32 PM
  #664
maruk14
Registered User
 
maruk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjevtwa View Post
It is true that Hansen is more interested in owning an NBA team in Seattle. However, if he were not interested in having an NHL team, why would his group design a new arena to include an NHL regulation-size rink? Did you know that the previous SuperSonics owner (Barry Ackerly from 1983-2001) purposely had the current KeyArena venue designed as a basketball venue only, which cannot accommodate a regulation-size hockey rink without folding up one entire end of the seating? In the end, the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City, and the WHL Seattle Thunderbirds moved south to suburban Kent.

As noted in the agreement between Hansen, the city of Seattle and the county officials, securing an NBA team is the priority in getting the new arena build, which includes another vote by city and county councils, the completion of an economic and environmental reports and the resolution of at least one more lawsuit. Even Hansen admits that an NHL team needs to be included for the new arena to be viable. The project would receive an additional $80 million in funds by the county if a NHL team is also secured after an NBA team is secured.

Being on the outside as just a fan, I'm not certain about the intricacies of arena agreements in other cities where the NBA and NHL share venues. It sounds very complicated and is certainly out of my range. I'm only familiar with what I've read in the news (including KING 5 TV [NBC]), the Sonics Arena website, the fan site Sonics Rising and the city of Seattle's press releases, as well as Seattle's very notable history involving past and current franchises and the long, drawn-out process of building and/or rebuilding arenas and stadiums.

Considering Hansen and the Seattle Arena group are, as of this posting, preparing to present their case to the NBA owners in a few days and will find out if the transfer of ownership and relocation will be approved on around April 18 or 19, any discussion about arena revenues for a potential Seattle NHL team is speculation and will certainly be discussed by the people responsible for both teams and the new arena in due time, whenever that is.
This is correct - and anyone who says the NHL is an afterthought is ignoring the $80MM reasons Hansen and his team have to get the NHL to Seattle.

maruk14 is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 03:55 PM
  #665
Brodie
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
"Click images to embiggen"? That's awesome that he would use that word.
It's a perfectly cromulent arena design

Brodie is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 04:05 PM
  #666
Brooklyn Americans
Registered User
 
Brooklyn Americans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
It's a perfectly cromulent arena design

Brooklyn Americans is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 04:24 PM
  #667
JetsAlternate
Registered User
 
JetsAlternate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
So how close is this to being Kings to Seattle with no minority owners coming forth?

Deadline soon?

If my deductive reasoning is correct, if P, then Q, so the if the NBA in Seattle this fall, the NHL will be as well.

The entire premise of the NHL being in Seattle is based on the NBA since the arena is based on getting the Kings?

Hello Coyotes?
Hold on. I don't think that makes a lot of sense. Another way to phrase your premise is:

P only if Q

The NBA is in Seattle this fall only if the NHL will be as well.

P can be true while Q can be false.

Though it is likely, it isn't entirely guaranteed that the Coyotes will relocate to Seattle if that city acquires an NBA franchise. P is necessary for Q, though Q is sufficient for P. If the Coyotes are in Seattle, it means Seattle already has an NBA franchise.

If Q then P.

We'll have to hold our breath and hope for the best.


Last edited by JetsAlternate: 03-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.
JetsAlternate is online now  
Old
03-30-2013, 11:13 PM
  #668
OilersFan1978
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Hold on. I don't think that makes a lot of sense. Another way to phrase your premise is:

P only if Q

The NBA is in Seattle this fall only if the NHL will be as well.

P can be true while Q can be false.

Though it is likely, it isn't entirely guaranteed that the Coyotes will relocate to Seattle if that city acquires an NBA franchise. P is necessary for Q, though Q is sufficient for P. If the Coyotes are in Seattle, it means Seattle already has an NBA franchise.

If Q then P.

We'll have to hold our breath and hope for the best.
Actually, that's not entirely true. The NBA can be in Seattle by itself. It would be ideal if both the NBA and NHL show up, but they don't both need to show up, and certainly not at the same time. They only need to secure an NBA team to get the new arena built, and if the NHL doesn't come to town for a few more years then that will be fine for them because then they can just plop the new NHL team into the new arena without them having to spend time at the Key.

That said, there is a chance the NHL could relocate to Seattle for next season and the team would play in the Key for 2-3 years until the new arena is built. But we shall see what happens in a few weeks. I think the Kings are bound for Seattle; if that does indeed happen, then who knows what will happen with regard to the NHL. Interesting days ahead!

OilersFan1978 is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 11:22 PM
  #669
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Algebra!

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 11:33 PM
  #670
LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE
Registered User
 
LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
please god

please santa

i have been a good non coal boy

very need team in seattle

will leave coffee with cookies

nhl please

sincerely,

yours,

love,

ME

LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 11:34 PM
  #671
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan1978 View Post
Actually, that's not entirely true. The NBA can be in Seattle by itself. It would be ideal if both the NBA and NHL show up, but they don't both need to show up, and certainly not at the same time. They only need to secure an NBA team to get the new arena built, and if the NHL doesn't come to town for a few more years then that will be fine for them because then they can just plop the new NHL team into the new arena without them having to spend time at the Key.

That said, there is a chance the NHL could relocate to Seattle for next season and the team would play in the Key for 2-3 years until the new arena is built. But we shall see what happens in a few weeks. I think the Kings are bound for Seattle; if that does indeed happen, then who knows what will happen with regard to the NHL. Interesting days ahead!
Its possible if we get kings we get coyotes but we could also may not get coyotes. We shall see what happens.

gstommylee is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 12:13 AM
  #672
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,149
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjevtwa View Post
It is true that Hansen is more interested in owning an NBA team in Seattle. However, if he were not interested in having an NHL team, why would his group design a new arena to include an NHL regulation-size rink?
That's what Paul Allen and Les Alexander did. The NHL would dearly love to be in Houston+Portland right now, but hockey-ready arenas don't help. In the case of KC there's an NBA+NHL ready arena, but no efforts to put teams in there.

Quote:
As noted in the agreement between Hansen, the city of Seattle and the county officials, securing an NBA team is the priority in getting the new arena built, which includes another vote by city and county councils, the completion of an economic and environmental reports and the resolution of at least one more lawsuit. Even Hansen admits that an NHL team needs to be included for the new arena to be viable. The project would receive an additional $80 million in funds by the county if a NHL team is also secured after an NBA team is secured.
Hansen won't publically say "NO" to an NHL team. But it has to be worth his while. Let's assume a 50/50 split as per the American Airlines Center in Dallas. How much is Hansen committing of his own money (minus the $80 million "NHL bonus")? Take half that number, and add it to the cost of the NHL expansion/relocation team in Seattle. Hopefully a local billionaire will step up. This is not a project for a "mere millionaire".

knorthern knight is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 02:36 AM
  #673
JetsAlternate
Registered User
 
JetsAlternate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan1978 View Post
Actually, that's not entirely true. The NBA can be in Seattle by itself. It would be ideal if both the NBA and NHL show up, but they don't both need to show up, and certainly not at the same time. They only need to secure an NBA team to get the new arena built, and if the NHL doesn't come to town for a few more years then that will be fine for them because then they can just plop the new NHL team into the new arena without them having to spend time at the Key.

That said, there is a chance the NHL could relocate to Seattle for next season and the team would play in the Key for 2-3 years until the new arena is built. But we shall see what happens in a few weeks. I think the Kings are bound for Seattle; if that does indeed happen, then who knows what will happen with regard to the NHL. Interesting days ahead!
That's what I said. I was providing an analysis of Heyoooo's argument and offering an alternative, more accurate analysis, one that happens to be consistent with yours.

"If the NHL is in Seattle, then the NBA is [already] in Seattle."

That's a bit different from what he proposed. The former statement can not be true if the latter is false. If the former is true, then the latter must also be true. The former being true guarantees the latter being true via the rule of inference known as "modus ponens." The same could not be said about Heyoooo's argument. Formal logic can be challenging!


Last edited by JetsAlternate: 03-31-2013 at 02:48 AM.
JetsAlternate is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 04:19 PM
  #674
OilersFan1978
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
That's what I said. I was providing an analysis of Heyoooo's argument and offering an alternative, more accurate analysis, one that happens to be consistent with yours.

"If the NHL is in Seattle, then the NBA is [already] in Seattle."

That's a bit different from what he proposed. The former statement can not be true if the latter is false. If the former is true, then the latter must also be true. The former being true guarantees the latter being true via the rule of inference known as "modus ponens." The same could not be said about Heyoooo's argument. Formal logic can be challenging!
Whoops! Sorry about that!

OilersFan1978 is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 05:31 PM
  #675
maruk14
Registered User
 
maruk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,917
vCash: 500
A bit of a pro-Seattle relocation article.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...?smid=tw-share

maruk14 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.