HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Is it fair to say we miss thomas?

Old
03-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Cronuss

vCash: 2823
How strange, ironic, and sad would it be if we actually landed MSL and his good pal Timmy was no longer on the team?

Imagine what could have been...

Also have to think that Timmy would be a little regretful of his decision in this case.

Cronuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:40 AM
MarchandNoseBest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
This. I have no doubt Rask is a capable potential #1 for a Stanley Cup champion...Let's remember there have been a lot of very very good goalies who have never won a Cup.
But did they not win them because they were chokers/not clutch enough or because their teams weren't good enough and it takes that combined with a lot of good luck to win a Stanley Cup? Keep in mind there were Bruins fans who ridiculously called Thomas a choker as well before he won the Cup.

I think fans really underrate just how hard it is to win a championship. Not everyone is going to win one, but it doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the player because they didn't. Usually it means their teams just weren't good enough, they didn't get lucky enough, etc. Are there cases of some guys who don't translate well to post-season hockey? Sure, but that's due more to a style of play in their game (like being too soft) than the fact they are chokers/not clutch.

I think the word clutch and choker is thrown around far too easily. How else do you explain people flip flopping so badly on guys like Thomas, Chara and Lucic? It's not that they magically got clutch or in Lucic's case, magically became a choker. It's called people jumping the gun and being too quick to throw a label on them over a small sample size of games.

MarchandNoseBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastNiner View Post
Rask isn't perfect, but a goalie isn't losing you four games in a row after you have a 3-0 series lead and a 3-0 lead in game seven.

He can be better at times, but he's still better than almost every goalie in this league.

It would be a rude awakening for people here if Rask weren't on this team, and the Bruins have a middle of the pack goalie.
He could probably score a goal or two if Claude plays him up front on the PP.

Do it Claude, do it!

If the Bruins were able to score goals when they need to half the time, Rask does not have to steal anything.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:53 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I actually forgot about Thomas until I saw this thread. Rask at worst gets an A-...Toronto would kill for this guy

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Bruins 54

I have nothing against Chara, believe me this is no slight on Chara ..

But is there anyone else here like me ??

That misses Bobby Orr ....

Bruins 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:08 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

This thread is pretty unfair. With a decent PP and less turnovers, this thread doesn't exist. Tuukka shouldn't be asked to win 82 games. He's doing enough to make us competitive. He's better than Fleury already.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:31 AM
spokedB

I miss Cheesie too

and Terry Sawchuk. And Frankie Brimsek.

Timmy would be two years older than he was when he backed the team to the Cup. Had he been in his twenties, he could reasonably be expected to repeat. Not so at 39.

No, it's Tuuka time and Anton isn't chopped liver.

spokedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:37 AM
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever

vCash: 527
Yes, I miss Tim Thomas big time!
Not only was TT a super goalie for the Bruins and MVP hero of the 2011 Stanley Cup, but I miss his character. Thomas had a certain swagger to his character that seemed to exude confidence to the other players on the team. I just felt more confident when he was in net, giving us the best chance to win.
In all my years as a Bruins fan, Timmy was the best Bruins goalie I have ever seen...he was a special player!
Goalies as great as Thomas are hard to find...and I am still ticked off the way he was railroaded out of Boston after the famous Whitehouse incident. I’ll bet some of the people responsible for Timmy’s departure are now regretting their actions.

As for Tuukka, he is still young and has great potential, but to be honest, I am not sold on his capability to take the B's to the SC finals, but I am still optimistic, and wish him all the best.

P.S. I wish all these pro-Rask,anti-Thomas fans would stop calling people “Rask haters” just because a fan offers Tuukka some constructive criticism.

Last edited by bobbyorr04: 03-29-2013 at 12:25 PM.
bobbyorr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

I don't know.

I've been very hard on/critical of Rask, but that doesn't mean I miss Thomas.

Thomas had to go through a lot of growing pains to become the man we saw in the 2011 playoffs, but is he still that man? Was he that man against Washington?

I think I miss having a goalie who can put the team on his shoulders. Rask hasn't done that yet IMO, but I think he has the ability to do it.

03-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Serpico4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
Rask has all the talent in the world but let's see if he can be as clutch as Thomas was. IMO that's what separates the good goalies (Rask, Ludquist, Luongo,) from the great ones (brodeur, Thomas)
Thomas was a postseason choker until he had that great cup run. Tuukka was the only reason the B's got to the playoffs the year they collapsed to Philly, and I would point to everyone else on the team just as much as Tuukk for that collapse, including Thomas who was so bad the coach couldn't throw him out there when Rask was gassed. People forget these things.

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:14 AM
averagealex

Tukka's definitely talented, but he quite simply doesn't have Thomas' ability to steal games. On a team that's had some unbelievable 3rd period meltdowns, this could be making a whole lot of difference.

For example, I think Timmy maybe would have been able to steal that Penguins game where they played like absolute crap with a lead for the entire game. Khudobin played great for most of game, but Thomas just made ridiculous saves when his team let him down defensively to hold on for wins.

averagealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:16 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagealex View Post
Tukka's definitely talented, but he quite simply doesn't have Thomas' ability to steal games. On a team that's had some unbelievable 3rd period meltdowns, this could be making a whole lot of difference.

For example, I think Timmy maybe would have been able to steal that Penguins game where they played like absolute crap with a lead for the entire game. Khudobin played great for most of game, but Thomas just made ridiculous saves when his team let him down defensively to hold on for wins.
Exactly, good goalies keep teams in games, great goalies steal games where their team deserved nothing and Timmy did that, and did it a ton. I like Tuukka, he`s played well, but he has a long way to go to have me convinced he`s clutch

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Aucoin11*

If you miss thomas, you shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico4ever View Post
Thomas was a postseason choker until he had that great cup run. Tuukka was the only reason the B's got to the playoffs the year they collapsed to Philly, and I would point to everyone else on the team just as much as Tuukk for that collapse, including Thomas who was so bad the coach couldn't throw him out there when Rask was gassed. People forget these things.
Thomas also choked extremely hard after that cup run against washington. He has one year of not choking on his resume.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Timmy isn't comming back.

I do miss him but we all have to move on.

03-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Zdeno33Lucic

vCash: 4114
We won the mtl game cause of tuukka

He has stolen games

Zdeno33Lucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:41 AM
NastyNate17

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...2783--nhl.html

^At least somebody thinks he's good

NastyNate17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie27Seguin19 View Post

He has stolen games
We lost that game.

Ruzicka38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Schalkenullvier*

who wouldn't miss a Vezina calibre goaltender? At the present time, Tuukka for Thomas is a small downgrade I think. But Tuukka is young for a goalie, and he has stolen some games (think the one vs. Montreal). If this team needs to be carried consistently to win, we wouldn't have consistent succes with Timmy in net either.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:07 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I miss Thomas, no slight on Rask though, Rask is solid, but Thomas was just something else. You don't see players like that every day.

I won't go too hard on Rask until I see him preform in the playoffs this year.

This is how I feel.

And, our problems are rooted in lack of scoring and porous defense. As has been pointed out, when you can't score, every mistake in net is magnified.

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
If you miss thomas, you shouldn't.

Thomas also choked extremely hard after that cup run against washington. He has one year of not choking on his resume.
.923 sv %, 2.14 GAA in that 7 game series. Yeah, he really caughed that one up for us didnt he?

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:13 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

My final comment on this topic is this:

When someone is gone, relative, friend, co-worker, athlete, we always forget about all the dumb things they did and only remember the really good things. Thomas was otherworldly during the Cup run, but there was a lot of times over the last few years when he looked like sh** and gave up some horrible goals. People seem to have forgotten this stuff and only remember the great saves he made.

Rask has the ability (IMO) to be better than Thomas when all is said and done. Doesn't mean he will be, but he's already pretty damned good. Time to stop blaming him for these losses. It's the team in front of him that's at fault for that right now.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:25 PM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie27Seguin19 View Post

He has stolen games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzicka38 View Post
We lost that game.
Ha was about to post the same thing. He was talking about the MTL game about 3 months ago. Thanks for that Tuukaa!

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:26 PM
KrejciMVP

Tukka had an ok game. I'm not going to complain about 2 goals. Bruins needs to score.

KrejciMVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:27 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

what I miss about TT is how much it just looked like he was having fun. You'd always see him smiling during a game.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:29 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
what I miss about TT is how much it just looked like he was having fun. You'd always see him smiling during a game.
Absolutley, even after he'd lay someone out when the rest of the team was sleepwalking.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote