HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
And the Kings ended up with Toffoli in the 2nd round. I'd rather have Forbort and Toffoli over Etem.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:17 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
And the Kings ended up with Toffoli in the 2nd round. I'd rather have Forbort and Toffoli over Etem.
I agree.

Looking at the players that you don't draft is like chasing your own tail. Its entertaining but you never get anything out of it.

Sure it can be a useful tool to gage how well you do at the draft table but I can't imagine that anyone would have any problems at all with how well that has worked out for us. We missed on EE, bummer but alright. They missed out on TT and DF that time and KG and LV and TP and VV and JM and AM and TL and JN and DK and on and on and on.

Pointing out a player that we didn't take just doesn't mean anything is my point.

I will take where we are now. Not saying it wouldn't have been great to have picked up EE, just that we've done alright everywhere else and in the end Forbort's value hasn't been perfectly established just yet.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:24 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Emerson Etem >>>> Derek Forbort.

Been saying this since draft day. Etem is going to be a stud. Forbort is going to have to go back for another year at North Dakota and we probably won't see him with the Kings till at least 2014-2015, unless he plays in Manchester when he leaves school (AKA big disappointment)
I get where your coming from but I don't agree entirely. If you are disappointed with Forbort I understand but the guy is very likely going to make the NHL and go on to be a solid second pairing (#4 if everything goes as projected) with size and durability.

Hardly a waste of a pick and if Leopold at this stage of his career is worth a second and a fifth then Forbort is going to do nothing but increase in value like he has since the day we drafted him. He is seen as a can't miss kid around the scouting world and his name will garner a ton of attention during the NCAA's (he is already being credited with being the best D for ND this past season by some and one of the best in the NCAA by several).

The amount of time it takes for him to make the NHL is irrelevant. We are stupidly deep on D where our kids are concerned (Nik Des is NHL ready and is going to have to cool his jets next season down in MCH or wherever the team ends up if it moves and then there is Gravel who is very highly touted who is ready to make the jump to the AHL and the list goes on) so Forbort taking until the ripe old age of 23 to make the team isn't a big deal.

I love Etem and would really have liked to see him on our team but not having him doesn't impact the way I feel about drafting Forbort or Toffoli or anyone else. Every year there are lots of solid players that we pass on who go on to become really good prospects/NHL players and every year we draft players that do the same that other teams passed on.

Its how the game is played to me.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:36 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I get where your coming from but I don't agree entirely. If you are disappointed with Forbort I understand but the guy is very likely going to make the NHL and go on to be a solid second pairing (#4 if everything goes as projected) with size and durability.

Hardly a waste of a pick and if Leopold at this stage of his career is worth a second and a fifth then Forbort is going to do nothing but increase in value like he has since the day we drafted him. He is seen as a can't miss kid around the scouting world and his name will garner a ton of attention during the NCAA's (he is already being credited with being the best D for ND this past season by some and one of the best in the NCAA by several).

The amount of time it takes for him to make the NHL is irrelevant. We are stupidly deep on D where our kids are concerned (Nik Des is NHL ready and is going to have to cool his jets next season down in MCH or wherever the team ends up if it moves and then there is Gravel who is very highly touted who is ready to make the jump to the AHL and the list goes on) so Forbort taking until the ripe old age of 23 to make the team isn't a big deal.

I love Etem and would really have liked to see him on our team but not having him doesn't impact the way I feel about drafting Forbort or Toffoli or anyone else. Every year there are lots of solid players that we pass on who go on to become really good prospects/NHL players and every year we draft players that do the same that other teams passed on.

Its how the game is played to me.
Defenders take awhile, Scuds, Mitchell, Greene..

They were all older when they hit NHL ICE. Forbort is doing fine.

I would prefer if forbort returns to ND, that program does a good job of producing NHL roster players.

I have this feeling no one would care about Etem if he was from say New York...

Old
03-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Looks like North Dakota's season is over, courtesy of Yale, and they're advancing to the Frozen Four for the first time in school history I believe.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:47 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Defenders take awhile, Scuds, Mitchell, Greene..

They were all older when they hit NHL ICE. Forbort is doing fine.

I would prefer if forbort returns to ND, that program does a good job of producing NHL roster players.

I have this feeling no one would care about Etem if he was from say New York...
My point exactly. Forbort is doing fine of course, this year I was spoiled enough to spend a whole month in ND MN and NE (NE for the great outdoor series) and saw a ton of Forbort. Spoke to him a few times and I really like the kids personality.

He is a big guy who due to his size will take longer to develop but he is on track. The thing with Etem is that the kid has game and is going to be a good player but then so is Forbort and so is Toffi and the list goes on and on.

That's why I can't see having passed on Etem and taken Forbort or Toffoli etc makes anyone a disappointment. Horses for courses.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

And now we wait to see if the Kings sign Forbort and get him to Manchester.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:48 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Looks like North Dakota's season is over, courtesy of Yale, and they're advancing to the Frozen Four for the first time in school history I believe.
Yale, tsh....pfft.....hmph....tsk.....phfffft...Yale.... ...as if........

Yale still sucks. One good player and a great coach.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:20 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Nevermimd

Old
03-31-2013, 12:25 PM
bacchusbuddha

Send a message via AIM to bacchusbuddha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
And a +2. Night and day for him.
Finally saw Ebert play in person last night. I was one spot in line away from winning his game-worn!

He logged a ton of minutes and clearly has more latent talent than most of the guys out there.

His individual game looks very good at times but it seems like he's still learning to read his teammates and adjust to the (lack of) flow of the ECHL.

Physically, he was not out of place on the ice with some much older guys. A number of times it looked like he was getting beat wide on the rush, but he always managed to get in just enough contact to slow his man down and tie up. Good shot from the point, gets a lot on his passes.

He's playing a very big role already, especially on the PP, so it's pretty crucial for him to adapt and find some chemistry with his new team to start the playoffs.

Last edited by bacchusbuddha: 03-31-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old
03-31-2013, 12:34 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Emerson Etem >>>> Derek Forbort.

Been saying this since draft day. Etem is going to be a stud. Forbort is going to have to go back for another year at North Dakota and we probably won't see him with the Kings till at least 2014-2015, unless he plays in Manchester when he leaves school (AKA big disappointment)
Why is that a big disappointment?

This isn't the NFL. Getting quicker results on a player isn't always the goal. You want the better results. Forbort is still devloping, and is getting better by most accounts, especially by TG, who has seen him multiple times live.

How about we let him play one game of pro hockey before saying he's vastly inferior to a kid who has all of two goals in his NHL career.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:42 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

This isn't the NFL. Getting quicker results on a player isn't always the goal. You want the better results. Forbort is still devloping, and is getting better by most accounts, especially by TG, who has seen him multiple times live.

How about we let him play one game of pro hockey before saying he's vastly inferior to a kid who has all of two goals in his NHL career.
Just wanted to add that the decision is in Forborts hands officially.

Rumor has him leaning towards going pro but I think that we want him to go back to school. Too bad I am not in Grand Forks today.

Last edited by etherialone: 03-31-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old
03-31-2013, 04:30 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Dowd and Gravel playing right now StC vs MiamiOH.

Dowd forced to take a penalty, smart play.

Gravel having a big game defencively.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:56 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Just wanted to add that the decision is in Forborts hands officially.

Rumor has him leaning towards going pro but I think that we want him to go back to school. Too bad I am not in Grand Forks today.
Which is exactly what he should do. I've watched a bunch of ND games on cable this year and I don't see another year in college measurably helping his development. He doesn't play much if any on the pp (not that that is a problem) and his role is basically chip the puck along the boards out of the dzone. He really needs bigger challenges against stronger, faster more talented players and to learn how to be a professional (IMO).

Old
03-31-2013, 11:35 PM
CNS
A World Alone

St. Cloud won so those two are off to the Frozen Four. I suggest if you're not a Gravel fan or haven't watched him before, watch him when the Frozen Four starts. Then you'll realize why some of us are so high on him

Old
04-01-2013, 02:49 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Gravel > Forbort. Yeah, I said it.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:02 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
I thought that was a common opinion for a while now.... At least it has been in my head.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:50 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
You aren't the only one.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:10 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Gravel had such a solid game yesterday. His game during the playoffs has elevated and I would say he has easily been one of the top 4 Dman in all of the tournament.

He took a penalty early on (total baloney call) and then came out and played a flawless game. His presence in front of the net and positioning is really a difference maker. It has come a long way from where he was two years ago. He has been a favorite for awhile and really looks like I solid mobile SAH type that should be a King for a long time.

When he reaches his potential I think he could end up a 2nd pairing SAH who makes smart passes and can skate. Just a very good hard hitting smart Dman.

By the way Dowd had a great game again yesterday as well. I don't write allot about him but he is having a really solid year and its going to be fun watching him in Manchester. He is still sort of an enigma to me so it will be nice to see what our MCH posters think of him. He is still a high energy forward with nice hands that skates really well. That said it seems like at times that he tries to do too much. When it works he looks like a budding power forward stud (though his size doesn't indicate that he would make a typical PF) and when it doesn't he looks like any other scoring forward.

He is a fun player to watch so if you get a chance to see the frozen four you should. He and Gravel are both good reasons to watch the final four and the great level of hockey is too.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:26 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

Forbort is the new Boyle. Etem is the new Perry.

While Forbort spends years developing into a mediocre NHL player, Etem will be scoring goals in the NHL.

Forbort is one of those typical prospects that gets overrated because of his size.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯Until April

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Forbort is the new Boyle. Etem is the new Perry.

While Forbort spends years developing into a mediocre NHL player, Etem will be scoring goals in the NHL.

Forbort is one of those typical prospects that gets overrated because of his size.
Etem was flying last night, too. Kid is fast, shifty, can shoot, and can bang. I'm not going to pretend to know too much about Forbort because I definitely haven't seen him as much as others here, but I know he was a project...I'm worried DL out-thought himself in the first round yet again.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Etem the new Perry? Man, some of the comments I read on here is beyond ridiculous.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:02 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Etem the new Perry? Man, some of the comments I read on here is beyond ridiculous.
I was half joking. I was referring to the situation; not comparing them as players.

The debate over Etem/Forbort, reminds me a lot of the debate over Perry/Boyle.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Boyle was a giant project who played high school hockey when he was drafted. Forbort was highly projected in his draft class. I don't see a valid comparison.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:26 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Boyle was a giant project who played high school hockey when he was drafted. Forbort was highly projected in his draft class. I don't see a valid comparison.
You're comparing the players. I'm comparing the situation.

And like I said, I was half joking, but there are some similarities. People will be debating Etem vs. Forbort for years, just as they were debating Perry vs. Boyle for years.

Closed Thread