HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The HF chapter of the Jose Reyes fanclub (avatars/wallpapers in posts #1-3)

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 06:07 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
The Countdown continues: 1 day until opening day! (schedule wallpapers in post #2)

All avatars are free for use by anyone. There's no need to "claim" one or worry that another poster is using the one you want.

Starting Pitchers
DickeyMorrowBuehrleJohnsonHapp

Bullpen Pt 1
Coming soon (maybe)
coming soon (maybe)
CecilBushLoupRogersOliverDelabar

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 04-06-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

The HF chapter of the Jose Reyes fanclub (avatars/wallpapers in posts #1-3)

Bullpen Pt 2
SantosJanssen

Starting Lineup
ReyesCabreraBautistaEncarnacionLawrieLind
ArencibiaRasmusBonifacio

Last edited by The Nemesis: 04-01-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

The Countdown continues: 3 days until opening day!

Bench
DavisIzturisBlancoDeRosa

Coaches/Front Office
Gibbons

Special
Lawrie

2013 Schedule Wallpapers - April

To download each wallpaper, click the thumbnail, then click the small image that appears on the page to open up the full-size image. Then right-click and save.

1920x1080
DickeyDickey #2BlancoPlayers

1680x1050

1600x900

Last edited by The Nemesis: 04-03-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old
03-30-2013, 06:11 PM
firstemperor

^ My mistake, I meant OKC, I keep mistaking Kansas City in MLB expansion with that city because they are a strong canadidate for NBA expansion.

But the point still stands. I don't think Montreal will get a team anytime soon. They don't have the market anymore for sustained success. They were getting <100 fans at some point.

On the other hand, I think Vancouver moving to Memphis in the NBA was definitely a mistake by Stern. Can't say the same for the Expos at all/

Old
03-30-2013, 06:12 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

psst...
game 6 world series is on sportsnet
touch em all joe!

Old
03-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Tampa would be the ideal team to move. They aren't getting a new stadium thanks to Loria and they don't draw fans even with a winner, coupled with the fact they play in the AL East it would make for a big Toronto-Montreal rivalry to drive ticket sales, having Boston and New York in town for 18 games wont hurt either.

Oakland will eventually go to San Jose which should fix their mess of a situation.

Finally they have to force Loria to sell the team to someone who wont spit in everyone's face year after year. With that new ballpark, having new ownership could help revive and make Miami at least a top 15-20 range attendance franchise.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Kadri 4 Hart

Re: Our top 5

I think LAD does have a solid top 5 too, but Crawford is a huge ? and Hanley is out for about a month I believe and isn't the same hitter he once was.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:18 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
^ My mistake, I meant OKC, I keep mistaking Kansas City in MLB expansion with that city because they are a strong canadidate for NBA expansion.

But the point still stands. I don't think Montreal will get a team anytime soon. They don't have the market anymore for sustained success. They were getting <100 fans at some point.

On the other hand, I think Vancouver moving to Memphis in the NBA was definitely a mistake by Stern. Can't say the same for the Expos at all/
Montreal was a minor mistake just in how it went down with Loria. The were probably done for at the time anyway, but Loria didn't help matters.

and just briefly touching on the Grizzlies, David Stern basically admitted on the radio last year or year before last that he doesn't think the NBA can go back to Vancouver "because we (the league) screwed it up". It's the most asinine excuse I could possibly imagine, especially in the face of Charlotte and now Seattle getting new teams rather quickly after losing their initial ones.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:44 PM
weems

Cant wait until Stroman is ready to be inserted into this pen.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:51 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

put an avatar teaser into the 1st post.

Provided I can get the GDT graphics done over the next day and a half or so, I want to see if I can get a healthy batch of avatars up on Monday.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:57 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Sweet wallpapers btw, took the first Dickey one

Old
03-30-2013, 07:08 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Sweet wallpapers btw, took the first Dickey one
Thanks. There weren't a lot of pictures for the spring, so I had to go with a batch of more "artsy" shots of Dickey's initial workout and the like.

From now on I'll probably just do 2 subjects per month (gonna try for one pitcher, one fielder/batter) instead of 4.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post

I don't know how you could say that. If Montreal isn't a market, in what way is Los Vegas or OKC a market? Montreal had excellent attendence for much of their pre-strike history. They weren't the only team to take a hit in 1994-95. The Jays took a massive hit, many other teams in the MLB did as well. Combined with the strike and an owner who was purposely sabatoging them (Refusing to negotiate TV contracts, setting unrealistic demands for a new stadium, using legal loopholes to get rid of his co-owner who wanted to keep the team in Montreal, just to name a few). Under a different owner, there was a strong chance a new downtown ballpark got build in Montreal.

In the aftermath of the team moving, I would have said they were a poor market. Montrealers were done with baseball. But I wouldn't say that now. Young people who were too young to appreciate the Expo's are starting to get interested in baseball again. Expo merchandise is pretty common. The Blue Jays recent resurgence has actually helped this.

OKC is a small market that will only be able to have one team, the Thunder. Los Vegas is far too hot, they would need a climate controlled stadium that would pay massive energy costs. Its over 40C easily with the humidity. Plus, the city of Los Vegas hates paying for infastructure that isn't related to the gambling industry.

In my mind, there are only three markets for the MLB left, the Carolina's, Vancouver, and Montreal. If a prospective Montreal owner can get some serious momentum, they may be able to restart the stadium question in Montreal. You'd probably need someone like the Molson Family to do it, because with Quebec's financial trouble a stadium would need massive private finds. That's why Vancouver make more sense.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:35 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I'm not sure how much sense Vancouver makes at the moment. BC place isn't really suited for baseball. The "retractable roof" is a misnomer, since it's only a small portion at the top of the awning/dome type structure that opens up, making the place a lot more like a full dome a la Tropicana, as opposed to a proper retractable roof stadium. Plus the stadium is already created for football and soccer and would have the same issues converting for baseball that the other football/baseball hybrid stadiums do (Oakland, the previous Florida Marlins home. Rogers Centre isn't a problem so much like this because it was built to accomodate baseball, rather than having baseball shoehorned in after the fact)

If that old proposal for a waterfront stadium had gone through, then it might've worked, but I don't like the prospect of BC Place as a baseball venue and given how quickly all the yuppies in north and west van shut down stadium plans and outdoor venues previously, I can't see them being able to sneak through a proper baseball stadium unless it's out in the (relative) boonies like Burnaby or Richmond.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:38 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

dykstra hits the 3 run homer
jays 5 phillies 4 top 7th

Old
03-30-2013, 07:49 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Typical Blue Jays. They're gonna choke away this WS like so many other chances they've had.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I'm not sure how much sense Vancouver makes at the moment. BC place isn't really suited for baseball. The "retractable roof" is a misnomer, since it's only a small portion at the top of the awning/dome type structure that opens up, making the place a lot more like a full dome a la Tropicana, as opposed to a proper retractable roof stadium. Plus the stadium is already created for football and soccer and would have the same issues converting for baseball that the other football/baseball hybrid stadiums do (Oakland, the previous Florida Marlins home. Rogers Centre isn't a problem so much like this because it was built to accomodate baseball, rather than having baseball shoehorned in after the fact)

If that old proposal for a waterfront stadium had gone through, then it might've worked, but I don't like the prospect of BC Place as a baseball venue and given how quickly all the yuppies in north and west van shut down stadium plans and outdoor venues previously, I can't see them being able to sneak through a proper baseball stadium unless it's out in the (relative) boonies like Burnaby or Richmond.
Even if it's not suited for baseball it should be able to host it, and is a highly modern stadium, thus is better than Olympic Stadium.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Less than 24 hours and the season starts. Too bad its Texas and Houston.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:34 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

BC Place is suitable for the Jays to play an exhibition series before they open a season, and that's about it

MLB isn't expanding/relocating a team to a city without a real baseball stadium.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:37 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

that alomar at bat was great
borders..bah

bottom of the 9th here we go:
mitch williams you suck !

Old
03-30-2013, 08:44 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

I think I've said this every year for the past five years, but I've never been more excited for a baseball season than this year. This time for obvious reasons. SOOOOOOOO PUMPED. Sucks we don't play on the 1st like everyone else but at least we don't have that one day off after the opener that usually happens.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:45 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Even if it's not suited for baseball it should be able to host it, and is a highly modern stadium, thus is better than Olympic Stadium.
It's really not able. It's not the right setup/structure. It could do exhibition stuff for a few games, but that's it.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:45 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Less than 24 hours and the season starts. Too bad its Texas and Houston.
Seriously who decided on that

Its like if they open the next NHL season with Pittsburgh vs Columbus or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankYouBasedGod View Post
Sucks we don't play on the 1st like everyone else but at least we don't have that one day off after the opener that usually happens.
lol thankfully the days of Exhibition Stadium are long gone

Old
03-30-2013, 08:51 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

here comes carter ......

Old
03-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice