HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sykora signs with oilers (merged)

Old
08-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Synergy, I made that obviously unfair comparision to show that the shootout roll is overvalued and not that hard to replace. Look, we have Shanahan and Cullen now. Prucha should be used more there. Who knows who else can do better if Renney would just stop using the same 3 guys every time. Basically for me, if a person is that easily replaced than he wasn't that valuable. I can also make the argument that if he played with a little bit more life than we wouldn't have to go to the shootout or I can argue that if he wasn't used in the SO that isn't necessarily a loss for us. Some one else would have taken his spot and who knows.
It was pretty clear that you weren't claiming that Malik > Sykora in the shootout, but I still cannot agree with your stance that his prowess there is "overvalued". Skill guys are not automatic in the shoot out as you seem to suggest with the mention of Shanahan and Cullen. Just look at Jagr (who should never miss a SO chance) and Nylander (who was money in the SO but missed alot of wide open chances during regular play).

I need to make it clear that I did not want Sather to re-sign Sykora after Cullen and Shanny had been brought aboard. But, if he had decided to bring him back before committing to either of those two guys (less so Cullen because he plays center) I would have been all for it, because I think Sykora brings alot more to the team than you and others are giving him credit for.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 05:49 PM
chatteaubowwow

Sykora is bottom line a good player. he hit a snag where he had trouble finishing for us. But him not coming back has more to do with the timing and the other players we have then it does with him personally. He will have his goals and points no matter where he is each year. He will single almost single handedly ear teams some points in the shootout as well. I knew he was gonna go, but i owuldn't go as far as to sya im happy to see him go.

chatteaubowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:32 PM
NYRchick

Sykora was useful in shootouts,yes,and he had his moments where he scored some goals,but I think lack of production in the playoffs hurt his chances of returning.

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:42 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRchick View Post
Sykora was useful in shootouts,yes,and he had his moments where he scored some goals,but I think lack of production in the playoffs hurt his chances of returning.
well considering the only player i even remember scoring in the playoffs at this point is Ortmeyer it seems kind of unfair to single out Sykora for his lack of production.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:44 PM
NYRchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
well considering the only player i even remember scoring in the playoffs at this point is Ortmeyer it seems kind of unfair to single out Sykora for his lack of production.
Fair enough...

NYRchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 01:59 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The guy took a pay cut - if there were other NHL franchises after him, they were trying to get him even cheaper.
Not necessarily. Sykora wanted to play in Canada and he was familiar with Edmonton.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 08:21 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Not necessarily. Sykora wanted to play in Canada and he was familiar with Edmonton.
He wanted to play in Edmonton so much he gave the Rangers an extra week to re-sign him

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Fletch

Sykora's good...

at saying and doing the right things (I think he has good advisors).

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Jarri17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
He wanted to play in Edmonton so much he gave the Rangers an extra week to re-sign him
Kevin Lowe (Oilers GM) and Howson (Oilers Assistant GM) were both on holidays for the weeks between the signing being leaked and the actual signing ...

Jarri17 is offline   Reply With Quote