HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
29Potvins

vCash: 500
Hi AIREAYE, thanks again for the advice earlier. I went to try out skates, and used the brannock. So my big toe reaches 7.5, and so I tried on some size 7.5. They felt nice, snug. Then I tried on some size 7 for fun, and I didn't really feel any difference (other than the ankles being a bit tighter. So then I'm wondering if it will make a big difference which size I get?

Old
03-30-2013, 12:18 PM
mandiblesofdoom

Hey - many thanks for the guide. Just got to skate on my new Supreme One.5's. They're a real step up from the ancient things I've been using. One adjustment is that my old skates had more support higher on the ankle.

I got them at Monkey Sports in Woodbridge, NJ. The sales guy seemed knowledgeable. However they did seem to push Vapors. I had to ask to try several different models.

Here's what I'm transitioning out of:

Old
03-30-2013, 03:33 PM
ShootsWide

Looking to buy some new inline skates. Got my eye on the Bauer Vapor XR2. Anyone ever try these? Not looking to spend too much but $150 would probably be my ceiling

Old
03-30-2013, 03:42 PM
TheeNorthStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiblesofdoom View Post
Hey - many thanks for the guide. Just got to skate on my new Supreme One.5's. They're a real step up from the ancient things I've been using. One adjustment is that my old skates had more support higher on the ankle.

I got them at Monkey Sports in Woodbridge, NJ. The sales guy seemed knowledgeable. However they did seem to push Vapors. I had to ask to try several different models.

good god

Old
03-30-2013, 03:43 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiblesofdoom View Post

Jesus haha. Enjoy 50 years of skate evolution.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:12 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsWide View Post
Looking to buy some new inline skates. Got my eye on the Bauer Vapor XR2. Anyone ever try these? Not looking to spend too much but $150 would probably be my ceiling
I've been using these since the summer, and I really like them. Pretty durable, fit good, and a real good quality skate for the price. Only thing I would say is, if you're playing on a rough surface or concrete, do not use the wheels that come with them. They say indoor/outdoor, but after one two-hour game with them, the front right wheel was completely chunked.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:12 PM
ShootsWide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
I've been using these since the summer, and I really like them. Pretty durable, fit good, and a real good quality skate for the price. Only thing I would say is, if you're playing on a rough surface or concrete, do not use the wheels that come with them. They say indoor/outdoor, but after one two-hour game with them, the front right wheel was completely chunked.
I'm gonna be playing indoor. It's tiled and very smooth. So those wheels should be fine right. Right now I'm only practicing with K2 skates so I need some hockey skates before I start my league

Old
03-30-2013, 06:19 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
I'm gonna be playing indoor. It's tiled and very smooth. So those wheels should be fine right. Right now I'm only practicing with K2 skates so I need some hockey skates before I start my league
Yea, I mean I've only skated on those wheels once, but they should be fine on an indoor rink. But as for the skates themselves, I've been playing on some rough surfaces, and I block a bunch of shots with my skates, and they can take quite a beating. As for sizing, I would go 1.5 sizes lower than what you're shoe size is, as they advise. I went 1 size down, and can feel just the tiniest amount of space, so I wish i would have gone half a size smaller, but no biggie.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:03 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Yea, I mean I've only skated on those wheels once, but they should be fine on an indoor rink. But as for the skates themselves, I've been playing on some rough surfaces, and I block a bunch of shots with my skates, and they can take quite a beating. As for sizing, I would go 1.5 sizes lower than what you're shoe size is, as they advise. I went 1 size down, and can feel just the tiniest amount of space, so I wish i would have gone half a size smaller, but no biggie.
Don't make those recommendations, everyone needs to get the right fit and everyone's different.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Xuno

My 5.0D CLs are falling apart, and I want to get new skates while I have the money. I essentially settled for the D width, but they've hurt my feet to varying degrees the entire 15 months or so that I've had them, and I fail the pencil test (but I haven't had any lace bite pain.) I used my tax return to buy goalie equipment to fulfill a childhood dream earlier in the month, and I picked up a pair of 5.0EE one60s to wear in goal that were perfect in length and width after I punched out near the toe box a bit to make it wider, although I also failed the pencil test pretty badly in those, even though there is no pain while wearing them in goal. I went to Pure Hockey in NJ today to try out the one.9 and Nexus 800 in junior sizes, but they had neither. The only thing I could try on that was even close was a one.8 5.5D, and the narrowness of the skate was actually pretty painful although it at least let me know I was definitely still a 5.0. Stupidly, I didn't take note of the volume, but I don't remember it being as much of an issue as it looked like with the one60s.

My question is, do the Nexus 800s seem like a better fit for me? I'll have to order them or the one.9s online, but I'd like to get the sizing right the first time. Would the sizing be exactly the same, or do people generally go up or down a half size in the Nexus line? I took a couple pictures of my feet with my phone just in case it helps, which I'll link instead of directly imaging since I'm not too sure how many people want to look at what people call my "hobbit" feet, haha. I've actually had people line up to take draws against me in adult league and comment on how fall my feet are. I didn't think they were that small!!

Thanks in advance for any help. If someone needs more info to help, I'll be more than happy to provide it.

http://i.imgur.com/jomPSbf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/z8IAVCc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ie8gVNl.jpg

Old
03-30-2013, 08:32 PM
AIREAYE

Nobody online can tell you if they will be a better fit. The only thing that is true is that a Nexus will be wider than a Supreme given that both are the same size with the same letter width. It will be likely that you would need the same size, but everything else is so dependent on how you fit into them. See if the store can get a pair in from warehouse for you to try.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:08 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Don't make those recommendations, everyone needs to get the right fit and everyone's different.
It's a recommendation because I'm suggesting from my own experience of how they fit AND what the manufacturers themselves say. Nobody is saying not to try it on and that's the only way to buy them. Not everyone has the luxury of having a hockey store within vicinity of them, especially when it comes to roller hockey.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Xuno

Quote:
Nobody online can tell you if they will be a better fit. The only thing that is true is that a Nexus will be wider than a Supreme given that both are the same size with the same letter width. It will be likely that you would need the same size, but everything else is so dependent on how you fit into them. See if the store can get a pair in from warehouse for you to try.

Alright, thanks. I'm leaning towards the Nexus for the extra volume and width since I'm pretty sure a 22 y/o guy in junior skates isn't the most common thing in the world which is why I think I seem to have volume issues.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:08 AM
shinchanyo

I never got an answer to my perfectly answerable questions... Like are there naturally wider skates then Bauer Nexus besides super expensive custom made ones which it looks like I prob have to get?

Old
03-31-2013, 01:37 PM
ShootsWide

Quote:
Thank you. I guess I would look pretty ridiculous if I tried on size 12 skates and they were too big. But I will be going in to try them on and make sure they fit comfortably. And this will be my first time using the hi-lo set up. I understand what it's meant to do but do I need to make changes to my strides or my turns in order to use it for effectively or is it all pretty natural

Old
04-03-2013, 12:30 AM
ShootsWide

So I ended up buying my Vapor Xr2 today and skated with them for about half an hour. I wear a size 12 shoe, and ended up getting a 9.5 skate. I will update again after I put a couple of hours on them

Old
04-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Jimbo7200

Looking for some help here guys. I'm trying out for my college's club hockey team next fall, and I need some new skates. I haven't played in about 6 years. My big thing is to get good skates--when I was a kid my skates always gave me fits.

I wear a size 11 shoe. I have very flat, wide feet. I used Bauers back in the day, and got blisters all of the time. Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated fellas.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:44 AM
ShootsWide

So I just bought some Vapor XR2 and I wanted to get better wheels for indoor. I will be playing once a week on a tiled floor and maybe an hour a week practicing. Now I'm not sure if it would be worth it to get some expensive wheels or just some wheels to get me through the 10 week season

Old
04-05-2013, 09:53 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
Looking for some help here guys. I'm trying out for my college's club hockey team next fall, and I need some new skates. I haven't played in about 6 years. My big thing is to get good skates--when I was a kid my skates always gave me fits.

I wear a size 11 shoe. I have very flat, wide feet. I used Bauers back in the day, and got blisters all of the time. Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated fellas.
Try on different fits and select the one you like the best.
Quote:
So I just bought some Vapor XR2 and I wanted to get better wheels for indoor. I will be playing once a week on a tiled floor and maybe an hour a week practicing. Now I'm not sure if it would be worth it to get some expensive wheels or just some wheels to get me through the 10 week season
I can't answer that, but check with some of the roller guys over at MSH.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:49 AM
SaintTavares

Quote:
I really disliked those wheels the first time I used them, and immediately switched to Labedas. I've used two different types, the Grippers and Asphalts, and while they both were outdoor wheels, I would recommend trying their indoor wheels. Very solid company, and not overly expensive. You can probably get a new set of 8 wheels for around 40-50 bucks.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:02 PM
29Potvins

Hah... so I have been using size 8 skates for the past 2 years.

After reading this thread I knew they were too big, so I went to my LHS to get sized up and look for new skates. I've been fitted to 5.5/6..

Wide feet, high in-step.. it's been a pain trying to find skates that fit (especially at this time, when stores are not really getting any shipments in).

Anyway, I think I'm starting to like the Nexus or Reeboks (2010 models). Specifically, I tried on a pair of 6D Reebok 7K+ Pumps.. can you shed some light on these, please, AIREAYE? They're $160 currently, and seem like a steal. Plus they fit pretty comfortably out of all the ones I've tried so far.

Unfortunately no stores have had anything in wide's, so I'm waiting to try some before I make a decision on the 7K+. The Nexus (5.5EE) felt probably a bit more comfortable than the reeboks, but the store only had the 800 in that size.. and I can't afford $400 for a pair of skates

Anyway, thanks again to this thread, and your help, AIREAYE. I'm very close to getting a pair of skates that fits, and I'm very excited.

Last edited by 29Potvins: 04-10-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old
04-10-2013, 12:40 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
Hah... so I have been using size 8 skates for the past 2 years.

After reading this thread I knew they were too big, so I went to my LHS to get sized up and look for new skates. I've been fitted to 5.5/6..

Wide feet, high in-step.. it's been a pain trying to find skates that fit (especially at this time, when stores are not really getting any shipments in).

Anyway, I think I'm starting to like the Nexus or Reeboks (2010 models). Specifically, I tried on a pair of 6D Reebok 7K+ Pumps.. can you shed some light on these, please, AIREAYE? They're $160 currently, and seem like a steal. Plus they fit pretty comfortably out of all the ones I've tried so far.

Unfortunately no stores have had anything in wide's, so I'm waiting to try some before I make a decision on the 7K+. The Nexus (5.5EE) felt probably a bit more comfortable than the reeboks, but the store only had the 800 in that size.. and I can't afford $400 for a pair of skates

Anyway, thanks again to this thread, and your help, AIREAYE. I'm very close to getting a pair of skates that fits, and I'm very excited.
Nice, I'm glad you took the time to try them and ask.

The 7K Plus was an SMU product I believe, an upper-mid end skate made especially for some retailers that was essentially a 7K with maybe an additional feature or two. For $160, they're a good deal. We had them back in my old store and they were solidly built skates.

Have you tried CCM? Bauer Supreme?

I would see when the store would get more in or if they could somehow wrangle a pair form somewhere for you to try. I wouldn't settle for the 7K until you've tried the other fits because you never know if something else could be better.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:24 PM
29Potvins

Quote:
Nice, I'm glad you took the time to try them and ask.

The 7K Plus was an SMU product I believe, an upper-mid end skate made especially for some retailers that was essentially a 7K with maybe an additional feature or two. For $160, they're a good deal. We had them back in my old store and they were solidly built skates.

Have you tried CCM? Bauer Supreme?

I would see when the store would get more in or if they could somehow wrangle a pair form somewhere for you to try. I wouldn't settle for the 7K until you've tried the other fits because you never know if something else could be better.
Thanks for your insight into the 7K+, AIREAYE!

I tried on a pair of 6D CCM U+ 10's as well, and they felt the same to me as the 7K+. I also tried on some Bauer supremes (6D, 5.5D), and they felt like they'd be too narrow in a D, so I'll wait for a store to get some EE's. I'm also going to wait til the store get some more Bauer Nexus in (they said they might get a Bauer shipment in the next week or two) as they felt very comfortable. It's odd, I find that the Nexus doesn't seem to be a model places stock a lot of (same with 5.5EE's )

I think the silver lining in all of this is that I now know my length lies between a junior and senior size.. so a good chance I could be saving some money there.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:47 PM
AIREAYE

Definitely the best idea to wait and see what they get. Let us know what happens!

Old
04-11-2013, 09:09 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

So I had a weird experience with Vapors that maybe someone can help me out with. Sorry for the long story.

I am currently skating in x30s that I got when I started playing organized hockey about 3 years ago. I've been playing on them 2-3 times per week, every week, since I started. The fit is great and I've never experienced any pain, except for maybe the first few skates. As you can imagine playing 2-3 times per week year round has taken it's toll on the skates and they are starting to break down. Also my skating has improved since I started so I was thinking I might be able to benefit from a little higher level skate.

In my area the different level of Vapor skates have been on sale since around Christmas. At that time I went to my LHS and talked to a guy about upgrading. I was thinking of going to an x6.0 or 7.0, but he told me that based on my level play that the 5.0 was the next logical step. At that time I decided to hold off until everything went on sale in the spring b/c the 5.0s were not on sale.

Spring comes and the 5.0s are on sale so I go to try on a pair in 9.5 (my current size) and they don't fit at all. They feel way too big. I know they were not baked and that Bauer laces suck, as in you can't get them tight at all, but I was surprised at how big they felt. Even the guy at the LHS was shocked that I came from a 9.5 in x30s and the fit was that different. He said that baking would help, but not enough in his opinion. We even got the measurement tool and I'm a 9.5. Needless to say I didn't get them. They did not have a 9 in store for me to try on but I would be worried to get that even if it felt ok in store b/c according to everything so far including measurements a 9 should be too small.

So after all that here's my question. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Do they just feel that different b/c of the stiffer boot? Is there another company that has a boot similar to the Vapor line that I should be trying on? I looked through the first post and could not really find anything. I guess I could wait and try on the new Vapors in the spring to see how they feel.

On a side note was anyone else terrified to get new skates? I really like how mine feel, but I know they have to be replaced soon. I feel like I'm going to look like a noob out there in these new skates, haha.

Closed Thread