HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Yemeth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marquinhos View Post
Well... I understand that the main arena will be Dom Sportova. That's not good... Russian people want to see Medvescak in KHL olny because of the Arena Zagreb. It would not be Arena-Zagreb and would haven't the enthusiasm for the Croatian club.
If they would play in Arena I would surely buy season tickets, Dom Sportova, not so sure... AFAIK, the running/operation cost for Arena are too high for a whole season, even though the ice fever thingy was always a big hit.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Mikey09

Love this KHL Expansion. I would love to see Stavanger in KHL with Medvescak and Gdansk, Milan little bit. Stavanger can build great team on national players like Zuccarelo, Thoresen, Holos or Haugen. Medvescak will play with some grit, will be like little Vityaz with some canadian/croatian players. Gdansk will play with 15 poland players and i hope, there will play guys like McGrath, Wolski or Kolanos. In every case, these teams will be more interesting for me, than Avtomobilist.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Jussi
Dat Times Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
Love this KHL Expansion. I would love to see Stavanger in KHL with Medvescak and Gdansk, Milan little bit. Stavanger can build great team on national players like Zuccarelo, Thoresen, Holos or Haugen. Medvescak will play with some grit, will be like little Vityaz with some canadian/croatian players. Gdansk will play with 15 poland players and i hope, there will play guys like McGrath, Wolski or Kolanos. In every case, these teams will be more interesting for me, than Avtomobilist.
Why would they play there if they can get better money from elsewhere (like Riga and Latvian players)?

Old
03-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Mikey09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Why would they play there if they can get better money from elsewhere (like Riga and Latvian players)?
There can be a home factor and Statoil is really rich company

Old
03-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Jussi
Dat Times Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
There can be a home factor and Statoil is really rich company
I really doubt they're willing to overspend.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Mikey09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I really doubt they're willing to overspend.
We'll see buddy

Old
03-30-2013, 06:03 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquinhos View Post
Well... I understand that the main arena will be Dom Sportova. That's not good... Russian people want to see Medvescak in KHL olny because of the Arena Zagreb. It would not be Arena-Zagreb and would haven't the enthusiasm for the Croatian club.
Well, I also hope that Arena Zagreb will become our home for KHL, but even in Dom Sportova, we will have 7000 fans per game, which is not bad at all

Old
03-30-2013, 06:18 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Well, I also hope that Arena Zagreb will become our home for KHL, but even in Dom Sportova, we will have 7000 fans per game, which is not bad at all
what is the problem with Arena Zagreb? Too expensive? Many actions in arena (handball, other sports, concerts)?

Old
03-30-2013, 06:34 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
what is the problem with Arena Zagreb? Too expensive? Many actions in arena (handball, other sports, concerts)?
Reportedly too expensive to have ice all season long. Handball is not a problem, because there are only five-six game maximum in Arena per season.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:35 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

thx

Old
03-30-2013, 08:38 PM
ult

Quote:
Reportedly too expensive to have ice all season long. Handball is not a problem, because there are only five-six game maximum in Arena per season.
When they'll see the price for making their old arena KHL fit ($2-3 mln), they'll change their mind.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:17 PM
metmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
When they'll see the price for making their old arena KHL fit ($2-3 mln), they'll change their mind.
Where did you get this number/info?

Old
03-30-2013, 10:40 PM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by metmag View Post
Where did you get this number/info?
Past history of upgrading a number of KHL arenas. They'd need a new lighting system, new boards, total overhaul of locker rooms and some minor stuff. But even after all that, with the new KHL requirements this arena will become obsolete in a couple of years.

After this season even Tatneft Arena will need a $1 mln investment to keep up with KHL requirements, and now compare it to the dom spartova...

Old
03-31-2013, 03:10 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Hopefully they will change their minds sooner than later

Old
03-31-2013, 11:40 AM
guderian

Quote:

Price for 1 month of ice in Arena was around €300k(that would be something like $2M per season)...and they had some trouble filling Arena this year...with average od 10000-11000 sold tickets per game(and that could be big if) they would need $15-$20 per ticket to cover basic costs(last few years average ticket price for Arena was around $10).

If they could get permanent ice making facility in Arena then it should be more plausible.

One other "problem" with Arena is there is no real atmospher in that buliding (it certainly doesn't match atmospher in Dom Sportova).

But there are obvious positives if they play in Arena, comfort level in Arena is on hole another level.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:55 AM
ult

Well then, if there are so much problems, I think KHL shouldn't bother at all. We have too much candidates as it is anyway. Wouldn't want to see teams come and go (like Poprad).

Old
03-31-2013, 11:57 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Well then, if there are so much problems, I think KHL shouldn't bother at all. We have too much candidates as it is anyway. Wouldn't want to see teams come and go (like Poprad).
Yeah,all of these issues should have been resolved BEFORE trying to join KHL not after or on the fly.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:30 PM
marquinhos

Well, I have one table that characterizes the Medveščak's 12/13 season.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:34 PM
guderian

Unfortunately you might be both right, it seems a bit premature for Medvescak to join KHL.

On the other hand it doesn't look like Medvescak has too much interest to continue participating in EBEL, there has been far too much problems on and off ice.
Biggest problem is quality and depth of roster that Medvescak can ice in EBEL du to lack in quality and numbers of domestic players. That takes away any realistic possibility to fight for title and as a consequence year after year brings public interest down(especially interest of potential sponsors). Add to that obvious prejudice of EBEL towards Austrian clubs and it's easy to argue that Medvescak see joing KHL as only possible solution from business POV.

Part of me is hoping they are able to join KHL next season, and part of me is afraid that this could end up extremely bad for Medvescak.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:44 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by guderian;62859023

Part of me is hoping they are able to join KHL next season,[B
and part of me is afraid that this could end up extremely bad for Medvescak[/B].
Why ?

Old
03-31-2013, 01:49 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
it doesn't look like Medvescak has too much interest to continue participating in EBEL, there has been far too much problems on and off ice.
How off ice problems? Only numbers of domestic players and lack of sponsors?

Old
03-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
It's a league in which everything is done to ensure that the Austrians win it, I hope Medveščak ends up in the KHL and that they bail out of the EBEL so that went don't need to listen tools from dumps like Linz or Villach chant ''Yugoschweine'' every time they play against us.

On another point yes the obvious lack of domestic talent is highly disturbing when thinking about the longterm future of Medveščak in the KHL, as for the sponsors I think there might be some who might want to sponsor Medveščak, but they will need a big investor from Russia (Lukoil or Gazprom) to make the cut financially.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:14 PM
guderian

Quote:
Why ?

Well it would be beyond trill to watch hockey played at highest level and to cheer for your hometown team...

...but I just have the feeling that this whole project could easily go down in flames(and there are many, many people back here in Croatia that just can't wait that it happens so they can say:We told you so...)

Quote:

First they had problems with getting sponsor's money despite signed contracts wich led few times to a problems with paying players on time.
Then there were problems within locker room, between players and between certain players and head coach(which allegedly preferred some players without any hockey related reasons)...most of this originates from locker room(including coaching staff) full of mercenaries without firm character or any sort of loyalty to club.
Further more there are many jealous(I can't find better or more fitting word to describe it) people trying there best(or worst) to bring down any aspect of club...wich is just sad and totaly ilogical becouse club functions soly from private money and money of sponsors wich is the main difference between Medvescak and 99% of other sports clubs in country.

When you look at those sort of problems it seems like all of those lead back to two main problems: lack of domestic players and lack of sponsors

Old
03-31-2013, 02:44 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
and there are many, many people back here in Croatia that just can't wait that it happens so they can say:We told you so...
I get it. I dont know croatian hockey enviroment, but something similar is in Slovakia/Czech rep against Slovan/Lev Praha. Many people, within hockey federations/clubs, dont like both clubs playing KHL. On the other hand Slovan/Lev Praha have so much money/influence, comparing to rest of clubs here, that can solve this issues. Does Medvescak/its president have strong possition within croatian hockey federation? If yes, so I would not see any problem.

KHL has plan A and plan B when expands into Europe. Poprad was plan B and it was clear the club will be replaced by something else. That happened, Slovan replaced Poprad, new club from Prague joined. Both, Slovan/Lev Praha are plan A - so long term projects. What about Medvedscak? A or B? I would say A, because of great fans/location...

KHL helps its clubs to solve problems, for example with money. Look at Novokuznetsk, still in league, but money issues. What are/were biggest sponsors of club? Some international partners?

Old
03-31-2013, 03:17 PM
guderian

croatian hockey federation?

Well that almost doesn't exist
And problem is not related to hockey federation, it's a bit complicated to explain:

Most of those who are in envy are coming from football, handball or basketball surroundings (almost all clubs in Zagreb and Croatia in generall survive just because they receive hefty sums of money from local community-in this case city of Zagreb, with KHL Medvescak and probable KK Cedevita as lonely exceptions).

In a way Medvescak is showing to everybody that you can run profesional club without public money if you have capable marketing division and some sort of vision what are you trying to accomplish.....and naturaly rest of them are afraid that someday someone will ask them wtf are they doing with all that money they receive (and there are some really shady characters involved, especially in football and handball and they don't like any, even remotely possible, disturbance in the way they operate).

Trust me some very powerful and rich people in Zagreb will be extremely happy if KLH Medvescak fails and cease to exist in this form and goes back to obscurity.

Closed Thread