HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Markov really be on the block?

Old
08-13-2006, 02:54 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
No, no, no and NO

ya, bull **** nhlrumours blogs, I'm pretty sure it's good
Well I think the idea is good.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Markov is not the end of the world but a player, playing great D, with great vision and impressive passing abilities with the best first pass of the team is.....

Which means, Markov can be traded no question, we're not taking about the #1 d-man of the league here.....

But you absolutely need to have another player with his abilities coming back in a trade at some point.

You can't win nowadays when all of your d-men knows more who's "La baie Vitrée" than the actual players.....

In the end, why would you trade Markov when you actually need more players like him??? 3 reasons:

1- You know he won't sign with us, 'cause he told you...
2- Carbo and Gainey don't like him for whatever reason....
3- You are absolutely sure that you will win a trade that has him involved in, and this I have a total confidence in Gainey and Co. (Like a big center and a stellar offensive d-men like him, we never know how other GM'S see a player that might overpay for him, why wouldn't you at least consider listening???)

If not one of them apply, don't even think of maybe trading him and sign the guy long term! Out of those 3 next year's UFA, if the guy really wants to play, he's my #1 obviously, Rivet #2, and Souray #3.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 08-13-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 03:09 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Rumors surrounding Markov going the other way for a big center are a little too persistant, could this be for real?
Persistant? Do you mean non-existent? There are ZERO rumors involving Andrei Markov? What are you even talking about?

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 03:09 PM
madbox

I would flip if Gainey moved Markov or if Carbo even asked. He's not the problem, at all. If anything he should be feeling more comfortable with Kovalev, Samsonov, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn in the mix, guys that he can have a conversation with if he so pleases. Kovy and Sammy are so fluent in english, surely that will help him a bit as far as language barriers go although... RDS did an interview with him last year for an intermission segment, he managed quite well for someone that apparently can't adjust to NA after being here a few years. He's shy, but so what. How does that compare to what he's proven to be able do where it actually matters, on the ice? I choose to believe our management has brains again.

In other words, Markov stays. He's rather young. And gets re-signed longterm.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 03:29 PM
bjac

Gainey won't trade Markov, this rumour is bs. The only way Markov would be traded is if another defenseman who was better than him came in return. Otherwise Markov stays. Why would Gainey trade away his #1 Dman if there is no replacement coming back. The Habs will have the resources to sign him because I think Souray and some others are definately on their way out at the end of this season. Stupid rumour.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Since Gainey has been GM, how many rumours have been true??

There's your answer right there

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 03:56 PM
tinyzombies

Trading Markov would set this team back 5-10 years. Won't happen.

Right now, Markov is worth at least $4.25 and probably closer to $5m. If Gainey had no problem giving Bouillon and Ribeiro extra cash, he should have no problem locking up Markov for 3-4 years.

If he doesn't sign Markov, we could see the first big Montreal riot since the Guns 'n Roses Olympic Stadium fiasco.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 04:05 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Markov is not the end of the world but a player, playing great D, with great vision and impressive passing abilities with the best first pass of the team is.....

Which means, Markov can be traded no question, we're not taking about the #1 d-man of the league here.....

But you absolutely need to have another player with his abilities coming back in a trade at some point.

You can't win nowadays when all of your d-men knows more who's "La baie Vitrée" than the actual players.....

In the end, why would you trade Markov when you actually need more players like him??? 3 reasons:

1- You know he won't sign with us, 'cause he told you...
2- Carbo and Gainey don't like him for whatever reason....
3- You are absolutely sure that you will win a trade that has him involved in, and this I have a total confidence in Gainey and Co. (Like a big center and a stellar offensive d-men like him, we never know how other GM'S see a player that might overpay for him, why wouldn't you at least consider listening???)

If not one of them apply, don't even think of maybe trading him and sign the guy long term! Out of those 3 next year's UFA, if the guy really wants to play, he's my #1 obviously, Rivet #2, and Souray #3.
Again a good post. I agree mostly but I dont think that this scenario would happen at this point. Maybe at the trading deadline but right now it would in my opinion be premature. He's just coming in to his own. I dont like the fact of trading your #1 D in a package for lets say better #1 D. I think we need more a quality 1-2 pairing then having just one better D.

Old
08-13-2006, 04:06 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
Since Gainey has been GM, how many rumours have been true??

There's your answer right there
Elias, Arnott, Shanahan where apparently true.

Old
08-13-2006, 04:37 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Again a good post. I agree mostly but I dont think that this scenario would happen at this point. Maybe at the trading deadline but right now it would in my opinion be premature. He's just coming in to his own. I dont like the fact of trading your #1 D in a package for lets say better #1 D. I think we need more a quality 1-2 pairing then having just one better D.
Well by his reasoning, anyone could be traded, even Wayne Gretzky. Why trade him though? You can always get a free agent, no need to trade your best defenseman.

Trade Souray or Rivet, not Markov.

I don't understand why people criticize Markov or why Gainey criticized him last year when he has to carry Komisarek AND help the offense AND be a #1 shutdown guy. I thought he was playing well, and then played very well, handling his similar role with only one shoulder. That was gutsy.

Old
08-13-2006, 04:45 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Well by his reasoning, anyone could be traded, even Wayne Gretzky. Why trade him though? You can always get a free agent, no need to trade your best defenseman.

Trade Souray or Rivet, not Markov.

I don't understand why people criticize Markov or why Gainey criticized him last year when he has to carry Komisarek AND help the offense AND be a #1 shutdown guy. I thought he was playing well, and then played very well, handling his similar role with only one shoulder. That was gutsy.
heh...Wayne Gretzky was traded.
It's not about criticizing Markov. We are just talking figuring out how or under what circumstances it would make sense to trade him. It doesnt mean we think we should trade him.

Old
08-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoivu View Post
NM just read the other thread. missed it be4
I thought that was Bruce Vallanche in your avatar for a second.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 06:49 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
heh...Wayne Gretzky was traded.
It's not about criticizing Markov. We are just talking figuring out how or under what circumstances it would make sense to trade him. It doesnt mean we think we should trade him.
I know. And something has to give because this team isn't good enough for a Cup (unless we get really lucky) and our veterans are running out of time....assuming we are going to take a run with Koivu and Kovalev...

But Markov is in a contract year, his value is going to drop.

Old
08-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Markov has always been defenseman with talent who has never been able to reach his potential. I realised this last season. I was always amongst the "i`m pretty sure this year he will explode!". But last year I realised that more than a few games he was like a ghost. With the right deal, if he has good value...why not.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Markov has always been defenseman with talent who has never been able to reach his potential. I realised this last season. I was always amongst the "i`m pretty sure this year he will explode!". But last year I realised that more than a few games he was like a ghost. With the right deal, if he has good value...why not.
You don't think Markov is living up to his potential? For a 6th round pick, I think him being a legitimate no.1 pairing dman is pretty great. 46 points in 67 games and terrific defence and you're asking more from him?

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Anyone can be on the block, but I doubt we'll ever know about until they are gone. (although Gainey did say something that Aebischer could be traded in 2 weeks but it never happened)

If we trade Markov, it would be a huge blow to our defense and I don't see how he can be replaced. Imo he, Koivu and Huet have the biggest impact on the teams success, Kovalev as well.

We such poor depth on defense, how can we trade Markov without bringing in a top notched defensemen to replace him.
Gainey never said that. He said he thought the goaltending situation in the NHL would clarify itself in the next two weeks, and people just assumed he meant Aebischer.

Whether Markov might be on the block or not seems obvious to me, of course he isn't.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Slick Nick

I hope he's not, and doubt it. But I often heard journalists say things like "he's not Carbo's favorite" ...

Trading him would be a severe shock for the organisation, IMO.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:14 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I hope he's not, and doubt it. But I often heard journalists say things like "he's not Carbo's favorite" ...

Trading him would be a severe shock for the organisation, IMO.
If journalists said it, you know it's not true...

Old
08-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
There is no reason to trade Markov unless there is something we don't know that happened with the coaching staff.

But 1 thing is for sure if we trade Markov it is not for a centerman or too sign Dumont.We are getting a solid D back or Gainey is not making a deal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:28 PM
goalchenyuk

ok , we all know that the unfamous rumour is a joke , but what kind of player could we get for a combo Markov-Ryder ?

we have two needs ; a big center #1-2 , or a #1 d-man .So i suppose that if Gainey would combine the two , it would be probably for just one player or may be a good one + a prospect ...

Markov-Ryder for ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 08:24 AM
plafleur10

Different Spin

Let me spin this differently for you.

Let's say Marleau is indeed available and the Habs have a chance to nab this big center which has eluded them for so long.

Let's say the Habs are willing to part with Souray, Ryder and Perezhoghin or another prospect.

Let's say Sharks agree, but want Higgins (untouchable in my view) instead of Ryder.

You refuse and then they say OK if Markov replaces Souray.

Whta do you do?

a) walk away;
b) accept the Higgins package;
c) accept the Markov package in view of his upcoming UFA status.

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 08:36 AM
ti-vite

please define 'persistant'

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Let me spin this differently for you.

Let's say Marleau is indeed available and the Habs have a chance to nab this big center which has eluded them for so long.

Let's say the Habs are willing to part with Souray, Ryder and Perezhoghin or another prospect.

Let's say Sharks agree, but want Higgins (untouchable in my view) instead of Ryder.

You refuse and then they say OK if Markov replaces Souray.

Whta do you do?

a) walk away;
b) accept the Higgins package;
c) accept the Markov package in view of his upcoming UFA status.
I would run away.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 09:43 AM
THEREW

I DOUBT MARLEAU IS GOING TO BE TRADED...SEEMS I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=275838

BUT AGAIN...WE NEVER KONW

THEREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Kafka

You sell when the value is at is highest, you keep it at his lowest. Therefore the questions are: will this player stay with my team in the next few seasons; the other one is: will he improve.

I like Markov, but I don't think anyone knows here if he wants to stay or not after next season. Wouldn't it be worth getting something for this high-value player before he leaves? I guess Gainey will try to sign him ASAP and trade him if this leads to nothing. Habs would however have a problem at the blueline without Markov.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote