HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 3rd Deadline Approaching

Old
03-28-2013, 02:50 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Oh bullcrap. You say that now in retrospect but coming off our first ever playoff series win and looking like we could do even better the next year nobody (or at least nobody with any sense)was calling for suter to be traded preemptively.
I think if you dig back, you'd see where I said it. Especially with the memory of losing Hamhuis for nothing still pretty fresh in my mind.

I'm in favor of big picture moves...which is the difference between us. Keeping Suter made us better for one year, but look at the aftermath.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think a lot of us said that, last summer. Suter strung Poile on though, because Poile allowed it.

From 12/11/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I firmly believe and had all along Suter had to be signed in the offseason and wasn't. If he makes it to the New Year I see no chance of him signing here and hope he's traded to bring something of value back.

This is going to be another bad example of Poile's "patience" hurting the team.
Quote:
guess what I'm saying is, it would be stupid not to trade Suter if he's not signed by the deadline.
That was even before last offseason. I could quote more where I said he needed to be signed or traded before last offseason if you need me too.

Poile is not perfect, he's had 2 major screw-ups; Hamhuis and Suter

Last edited by triggrman: 03-28-2013 at 04:48 PM.
triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
I would agree with that, at least. I would have given him until the start of training camp to sign, then trade him. Most of us agree on that one.
I know I definitely didn't. I don't see how it's comparable to Staal either. Staal was buried behind the 2 best centers in the league and being underutilized. Whereas Suter was a key component to everything.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:06 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Hemsky is an enigma, the guy shows flashes and plays great a couple of games, but he can also disappear for long stretches and seems injury prone for whatever reason.
A gamble to be sure, might be worth it, he certainly has skill--probably would be the highest skill guy on the team if he donned the gold. A gambler's move, and not sure DP is poised to play the gambler this season.
Probably not the best season to make a large gamble anyway as I don't see this team going deep with Pekka looking shaky in net and the team taking so long to gel...

Last edited by darth5: 03-28-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: finishing my thought
darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

I don't want anyone from the Oilers except Pajaarvi, A) because I think you could get him for relatively cheap, and B) he's a large forward that is good in front of the net. We could use a Hornqvist v2 given our playstyle; I don't think he has Horny's tenacity by any measure, but I think Trotz could get him close and his size will keep him on his feet a bit more.

The Oilers blueline is abysmal as well; probably one of the best places to get max value for Blum.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:28 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Pittsburgh.
Yeah, just read that on Yahoo. Blame the people on the other thread. I am not sure that he could have helped the Preds this season or next.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Too bad we don't have anything of value to sell.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Too bad we don't have anything of value to sell.
In our good years the trade deadline UFAs are underwhelming. In our bad years we have no good UFAs to sell.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:21 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
In our good years the trade deadline UFAs are underwhelming. In our bad years we have no good UFAs to sell.
The circle of Nashville Predators life.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:23 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Gill will bring us something if Poile tries to deal him. Unfortunate Goose isn't healthy. Can't deal the kids - they need to go in real "hockey deals", not dumps. Hannan could go for a low pick to a team that's had lotta' injuries on blue line. Standings are tight - lotta' teams should be thinking about buying which ought to raise the price some.

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Gill will bring us something if Poile tries to deal him. Unfortunate Goose isn't healthy. Can't deal the kids - they need to go in real "hockey deals", not dumps. Hannan could go for a low pick to a team that's had lotta' injuries on blue line. Standings are tight - lotta' teams should be thinking about buying which ought to raise the price some.
It is definitely a sellers market. So far only Calgary is a known seller. We could totally get a pick for Hannen/Gill. Dangle Blum, SK, another vet forward. If we can get a pick or two in the top 50 it'll be a good deadline. Maybe move up in the draft later if we have someone in mind.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:52 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
It is definitely a sellers market. So far only Calgary is a known seller. We could totally get a pick for Hannen/Gill. Dangle Blum, SK, another vet forward. If we can get a pick or two in the top 50 it'll be a good deadline. Maybe move up in the draft later if we have someone in mind.
If we start dealing people then you can tell Weber were going to rebuild right? Then then we'll be bad for the next two or three years. One draft is not going to build us back up and who knows is there a Crosby type player out there in this draft. Remember if Calgary goes through with their fire sale they are going to get most of the top picks

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:11 AM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
If we start dealing people then you can tell Weber were going to rebuild right? Then then we'll be bad for the next two or three years. One draft is not going to build us back up and who knows is there a Crosby type player out there in this draft. Remember if Calgary goes through with their fire sale they are going to get most of the top picks
I'm not suggesting a full blown re-build, maybe just a little shuffling.

Hornqvist-Wilson-Erat
Smith-Legwand/Fisher-Bourque
Spaling-Legwand/Fisher-Mueller/Beck/Butler/young gun
Clune-Gaustad-Yip

Josi-Weber
Klein-Bartley/Blum
Ellis-Ekholm

Rinne

On the block: Legwand/Fisher, SK, Hannen, Gill, Blum/Ellis.

We'd still have a great core if we could trade some dead weight and a defensive prospect or two. I may be a homer, but I believe that's a playoff team most years. Draft 5-15, maybe even dangle Blum/Ellis to get our guy, and this team's future is looking a lot better off.

If Weber leaves because he's pissed about our team after last summer that's his fault. I'm sure he's smart enough to know what our situation is. It's not like he doesn't have until he's 40 to make this team a contender again. If we manage to get two more forwards like Wilson and another Klein-esque defender then we're right around where we were last year, if not a little better.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:29 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think some players will be bought out this year, I also think the trade market this offseason will be active.

The cap is going down, room has to be made on many rosters.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:17 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

It's funny how the need of a forward has shifted to a need of a Dman over the last couple weeks (not that we don't need a forward at all).

Hannan, Hali, and SK can board the first flight out.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:03 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
It's funny how the need of a forward has shifted to a need of a Dman over the last couple weeks (not that we don't need a forward at all).

Hannan, Hali, and SK can board the first flight out.
I don't think there has been anyone who didn't think, from the day RS walked away, that we needed at least a 2nd pair guy. I'm not sure that's what we need now, though, cause VB hasn't looked bad and he might still have a bit of growth in him making him serviceable. But, that makes us awfully young, experience wise, going into next year, if we deal Gill and go with a kid (Eckholm?) on the 3rd pair with Ellis.

We need a guy with some of that individual magic - the guy that can create outta' nothing. Those guys tough to find, so ...... someone who can consistently put the puck in the net is still the minimum what we gotta' find.

Give the kids a little time - took Willy a couple years and he was just finding it - just don't see this as a total-rebuild yet, but if Marty is in actual decline and not just dealing with some lingering issue, Poile is gonna' have to pull a PK outta' his hat!

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Byrddog

The defense early in the year was capiable. Were they playing over there head???? Perhaps The constant has been the offense not being able to answer the bell in games with playoff bound teams. Sure the offenses has put up good numbers latley against the weaker teams in the confrence. There is a reason for the defensive meltdown that we just do not know and it is more complicated than Blum, Ellis, Hannan, Gill though popular to use them as excuses. Each defensive pair has had a marked lapse in there play since about game 14 this year. This has exposed the goalies who have allowed some some ones but theres not aa goalie in the league that dosn't allow a few. This team and fanbase has become accustomed to the goalie stealing games be it Vokoun or Rinne.

Minor adjustments that have been suggested is not going to turn this team arround. Beck, Muller, Smith, Watson, Butler are not the answers at this point there only part of the overall inepness of the problem. Many are affraid to even consider a rebuild, and there are those who think anything short of a big rebuild is failure for two or three more years. Im in the middle there is going to have to be a good bit of change to become competitive and its not all about players. Its about confidence too, at this point there is not much confidence there. Mark Howard interviews produse the same mantra with each player about what they have to do to win a game. So Trotz is putting a message out there. Is it the right message or is it the talent can no longer exicute his game plan or have the players lost confidence in the system. Trotz is known as a players coach which means they would bleed for him and we have not seen much blood recently. So the leaves poor exicution or talent on the short end to exicute the system or both. we don't know the true reason but the results have been painful to endure this season.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:21 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

welp/ good news s that these next three games will make or break us I think. @ vs a bad colorado team and 1 vs Chicago. If 4 or 5 points don't come of these next 3 games in 4 nights, Poile has to ask himself, can the Preds pass a STL team that is struggling worse than we are.

Blues have 8 home games and 7 away. They have 2 games with Minn, 1 with Van, 3 with Chicago, 1 with Det, 1 with us and 1 with PHO, DAL, COLO and CAL and 2 with columbus.

It isn't like they have an easy road. But 4 of the next 6 points are critical, no matter how we get them.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
The defense early in the year was capiable. Were they playing over there head???? Perhaps The constant has been the offense not being able to answer the bell in games with playoff bound teams. Sure the offenses has put up good numbers latley against the weaker teams in the confrence. There is a reason for the defensive meltdown that we just do not know and it is more complicated than Blum, Ellis, Hannan, Gill though popular to use them as excuses. Each defensive pair has had a marked lapse in there play since about game 14 this year. This has exposed the goalies who have allowed some some ones but theres not aa goalie in the league that dosn't allow a few. This team and fanbase has become accustomed to the goalie stealing games be it Vokoun or Rinne.

Minor adjustments that have been suggested is not going to turn this team arround. Beck, Muller, Smith, Watson, Butler are not the answers at this point there only part of the overall inepness of the problem. Many are affraid to even consider a rebuild, and there are those who think anything short of a big rebuild is failure for two or three more years. Im in the middle there is going to have to be a good bit of change to become competitive and its not all about players. Its about confidence too, at this point there is not much confidence there. Mark Howard interviews produse the same mantra with each player about what they have to do to win a game. So Trotz is putting a message out there. Is it the right message or is it the talent can no longer exicute his game plan or have the players lost confidence in the system. Trotz is known as a players coach which means they would bleed for him and we have not seen much blood recently. So the leaves poor exicution or talent on the short end to exicute the system or both. we don't know the true reason but the results have been painful to endure this season.
Excluding last night.

Our biggest defensive lapses have come on the penalty kill, especially on the road.

Early in the year we were fine, but we couldn't score goals for whatever reason.

Early in the year we had a healthy Gaustad and a healthy Gill on the pk. It's been awhile since we've had both. They are both key pieces to our pk. I'll even throw Hannan into that, while he doesn't do much else well, he's a good penalty killer.

Offensively we're ranked around 20th now, defensively around 12th, but the penalty kill is 29th.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Keith Yandle would be an ideal target to me. Puck moving top 4 defenseman who would help the offense and defense out immensely. 3 years at 5.1 million left.

03-30-2013, 11:52 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Keith Yandle would be an ideal target to me. Puck moving top 4 defenseman who would help the offense and defense out immensely. 3 years at 5.1 million left.
He would be fantastic. Problem is who do we part with to get him? I'm good with one of Blum and Ellis to start but I have a funny feeling the Yotes would want Wilson in return as well. If they wanted Smith I'd seriously consider it and while I'm high on Smith being around for a while, picking up Yandle for that price is pretty darn good.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
He would be fantastic. Problem is who do we part with to get him? I'm good with one of Blum and Ellis to start but I have a funny feeling the Yotes would want Wilson in return as well. If they wanted Smith I'd seriously consider it and while I'm high on Smith being around for a while, picking up Yandle for that price is pretty darn good.
I think that is a really good start/package. Two high upside youngsters that can play now ...

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:54 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

A couple of problems with dealing for Yandle. First, Phoenix is right up against the 50 contract limit. We would have to take at least one more player back, which isn't a big deal I guess. I think we are right up against it, too, so it would have to be an equal number of players going both ways.

Second, a deal to get Yandle would depend on what other moves the Coyotes have in mind. If they are looking at moving some other pieces for younger players or picks they have to keep an eye on the salary floor. Assuming they sent us Yandle and some mid-tier prospect for Smith and Blum that would put them nearly $3m closer to the cap floor. That limits their flexibility with other moves.

03-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

David Poile: Darcy Reiger "everyone is available" - Then go get Thomas Vanek. This is an opportunity.

And for the record, we shouldn't be buyers. This is for the next few seasons.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:37 PM
alexmanu

We should really be selling some pieces, even if we somehow make the playoffs (I don't see it) there's no way we go deep. So why not sell off the dead wood and bring in some fresh blood?

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote