HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I don't understand

Old
03-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 500
I don't understand

Is it just me, or is anyone else wondering why we sent down Allen for the rest of the season? IMO, Elliot should be the one going. Allen has played amazing.

Someone please help me understand this.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:55 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Because they weren't going to waive Elliott after a few meh games followed by a few brutal games? Fairly obvious.

If someone gets hurt or either/both continue to suck then Allen will be back, as there is no roster limit beginning Wednesday.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:00 PM
sh724

We needed the roster spot for Leopold and could not keep carrying 3 goalies. The only players the Blues could send down without having to go through waivers were Allen, Schwartz, or Tarasenko. The only way the Blues go any where this season Halak is going to have to pick up his play and be the starter he was expected to be.

I wouldnt call Allen amazing he has been better than expected and played amazing for a couple games but in most games he was playing good enough to win but no where near amazing. He is not good enough yet to be playing full time in the NHL.

If they tried to send Elliott down and lost him then something happened to Halak, they would be left without an NHL goalie. While Elliott has been off most of this season he is still a lot more proven than Allen.

The Blues are going to live or die on the play of Halak in the net it does not matter if it is Elliott or Allen sitting on the bench. If Halak cannot be what he was expected to be the Blues are out in the first round.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
They better ride Halak like a rented mule.

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

Allen has been good don't get me wrong but he hasn't been "amazing" to so much we have to keep him up at all costs

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 06:46 PM
BlueDream

Allen has been our best goalie this season easily.

The season now falls on Halak. If he struggles we'll go down like a sinking ship. This could also decide his future here as well.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:05 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Who are we going to have in net if Halak is moved? Allen/Elliott? Color me not the least bit impressed. Unless they can bring back a solid goaltender(as in, better than Halak) why even move him? Allen's played well in like 10 games. We still have virtually no idea what we have in him. We need to keep Halak for at least next season if we're not bringing someone else in. With all his inconsistency, injury problems, and whining to the media, he still is our best goalie by a fair margin when he settles in.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:06 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

They need to know what they have in Halak. This says to him, ok highest-paid whiner, now you get your practice time. Go do something with it. You want to be believed in? Here, we'll clear the decks for you. Go do it.

If he does it, he'll earn my respect. Right now I think he's Just A Guy. But you never know with goalies. Nobody can make a person with an opinion look wronger than a goalie.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
They need to know what they have in Halak. This says to him, ok highest-paid whiner, now you get your practice time. Go do something with it. You want to be believed in? Here, we'll clear the decks for you. Go do it.

If he does it, he'll earn my respect. Right now I think he's Just A Guy. But you never know with goalies. Nobody can make a person with an opinion look wronger than a goalie.
Since when has Halak complained/whined about anything?

Old
03-30-2013, 07:11 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
He was quoted complaining about how the goalies don't get enough work when there are 3 goalies at practice, and also somewhat blamed Redden for that game winning goal in Calgary(which he may have had some influence on, but you still don't throw a teammate under the bus like that. It's still a save that should've been made.)

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:15 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
He whined to Dan O'Neill and later to Lou Korac in recent pieces. Not enough practice time, not enough playing time, the goal in Calgary wasn't my fault, blah blah blah. It's been talked about by a bunch of us in several threads on this board very recently.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

Ahh okay thanks. Didn't see those quotes then

Old
03-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar

I think Halak is a goalie that has to face a lot of shots every game to be anything close to a #1 goalie. When he doesn't face a lot of shots, he seems to get lost. In Montreal he was being asked to make 30-35 saves a game, here he is asked to make around 20. I don't see him playing in St. Louis after his contract is up.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Sounds like its time to put up or shut up then. I hope he brings it.

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
I think Halak is a goalie that has to face a lot of shots every game to be anything close to a #1 goalie. When he doesn't face a lot of shots, he seems to get lost. In Montreal he was being asked to make 30-35 saves a game, here he is asked to make around 20. I don't see him playing in St. Louis after his contract is up.
I did an analysis of Halak's performance across every game of his career and there was no statistical correlation between his play and the number of shots.

What I suspects is Halak does better when he does not have to go one on one with the shooter in a quick moving or laterally changing situation. There is a reason he has been bad in shootouts and bad on breakaways. He just isn't a good one on one goaltender.

I forget who said it, but Halak really is a guy who blocks shots.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 03-30-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:56 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I did an analysis of Halak's performance across every game of his career and there was no statistical correlation between his play and the number of shots.

What I suspects is Halak does better when he does not have to go one on one with the shooter in a quick moving or laterally changing situation. There is a reason he has been bad in shootouts and bad on breakaways. He just isn't a good one on one goaltender.

I forget who said it, but Halak really is a guy who blocks shots.
Yep. Halak lets the puck hit him. He has no elite goaltending skills and many times does not even know where the puck is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35
Who are we going to have in net if Halak is moved? Allen/Elliott? Color me not the least bit impressed. Unless they can bring back a solid goaltender(as in, better than Halak) why even move him? Allen's played well in like 10 games. We still have virtually no idea what we have in him. We need to keep Halak for at least next season if we're not bringing someone else in. With all his inconsistency, injury problems, and whining to the media, he still is our best goalie by a fair margin when he settles in.
Ok, who suggested going with Allen/Elliott?

Old
03-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Yep. Halak lets the puck hit him. He has no elite goaltending skills and many times does not even know where the puck is.
That is just completely inaccurate

Old
03-30-2013, 08:25 PM
GrandPapillon

i guess they like the tandem of Jaro "late goal" Halak and Brian "early and often" Elliott

GrandPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:25 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
That is just completely inaccurate
No it isn't.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
No it isn't.
Okay expert, if you insist.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:29 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Okay expert, if you insist.
If being an expert means watching the games and realizing obvious things then thanks. Maybe if you start paying attention you'll be one some day.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Renard

Quote:
Originally Posted by reavesthemaniac View Post
Is it just me, or is anyone else wondering why we sent down Allen for the rest of the season? IMO, Elliot should be the one going. Allen has played amazing.

Someone please help me understand this.
They need a roster spot, and Allen could go down without clearing waivers. That said, it seems that they have given up on the season since neither Halak or Elliot seems to have the confidence of the coach or the team. It was great when Jake won those three road games in a row and the players were cheering for him on the bench.

Renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renard View Post
They need a roster spot, and Allen could go down without clearing waivers. That said, it seems that they have given up on the season since neither Halak or Elliot seems to have the confidence of the coach or the team. It was great when Jake won those three road games in a row and the players were cheering for him on the bench.
That seems to be the case. But, if so, WHY did Armstrong then give up a valuable 2nd rounder (and a 5th) for a lousy 15 regular season games from Jordan Leopold, who has played poorly this season with Buffalo, and will be 34 next season, and certainly no guarantee to re-sign with The Blues?

The Blues are no guarantee to make the playoffs even if they win 10 of their last 15 games. They'll need to win every game they can. If they don't trust either Halak or Elliott, and actually plan not to use Allen again, why waste that 2nd rounder?

Of course, we know that they'll be able to recall Allen without any waiver problem starting Wednesday, as the roster size will be unlimited. So, maybe saying that Allen will stay down is just a ruse to throw other GMs off the trail of guessing what trades Armstrong is working on?

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

When I said Halak is a guy who blocks shots, I did not necessarily mean he is a terrible goaltender.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
When I said Halak is a guy who blocks shots, I did not necessarily mean he is a terrible goaltender.
I get what you're saying. There is a difference.

That said I wish he was stronger with the glove. Doesn't have to be Pekka Rinne, but he needs to be better.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote