HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Badminton

Old
08-14-2006, 09:51 AM
GoodKiwi

vCash: 500
OT: Badminton

Hi guys,

I have just started playing badminton. A friend of mine who's pretty good at it has convinced me to join McGill Sports centre. Was wondering if someone here also plays this great game and could help me out a little.

Anyway, I have only played twice so far(6 hours in total) and I'm obviously a big newbie. I'm looking to buy one or two rackets and some shuttlecocks to go with that. I'm playing twice per week, around three hours per each session. I don't know what style of a player I am yet, but I seem to have the most trouble with two things - serves and powerful returns in the back of the court when I'm far in the back myself. My friend told me that serves will get better with more practice, but he's concerned more with my returns. It seems that I lack strength(and/or technique) to be able to do it right. When I'm returning from the back of the court I seem to hit middle of the opposite side of the court and a good player has absolutely no problem smashing it from here. I'd like to be able to return further in the court.

Again, maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about and no racket will fix that - I don't know. I've been playing with cheapest OEM rackets available at the University, so I have no idea what they are even. At this point I would like to have something of my own. So, please recommend me some rackets that will make beginner's life a little easier. :p

If I need to clarify further before you can help me out, please let me know. I will be more than happy to provide as much detail as needed.

Thank you.

P.S. I'm not sure if this thread belongs in here, but the main reason of creating it here is to get a list of local places to buy the equipment. Sorry, if it does not fit the section.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Prospector

Hi! Me too I love Badminton!

I'm working as a coach, so badminton does not have any secrets for me!

Suggestions for you rackets

The Yonex are the best.

There are 3 disctinct ranges: The Armortec range, the Muscle Power range, and the NanoSpeed range. Armortec and Nanospeed models are very expensive

If you want to put around 100$, these two rackets will be a good choice

-Yonex Muscle Power 28
-Yonex Muscle Power 66 (More expensive though, but a very good one)

If you have difficulty with your return in the back of the court, it's not a matter of strenght or power. I'm 5'10 and 140 lbs and I send the bird where I want!

It's clearly a lack of technique. It might be the way you hold your racket. Click here
It is may be the place where you hit the bird (the point of contact). If you want to clear (a big return) the point of contact between the bird and the racket must be when your racket is pointing the roof (perpendicular). If you hit the bird before it will make a flat clear easy to rush. If you hit after it will be a kind of smash, not very efficient if you want to move your opponent or gain time to improve your own position.

The are no secrets in badminton. If you want to become a good player you have to practice! I'm practicing badminton 4 times a week, since 4 years, and I love the sport, it's so complete! If your conception of badminton is a slow backyard barbecue game, you've never seen the pros in action.

Good luck!

Sorry for my english i'm french so i am not familiar with the badminton vocabulary in english...

If you have any questions do not hesitate!

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 10:54 AM
GoodKiwi

Thanks for help, it's much appreciated!

Yeah, I forgot to mention my budget, it is around $100 per racket. i'll look into MP28 as you suggested. Do you know a good store where I can pick all of my equipment(shoes, biurd and racket)? So far I could only think of Sports Experts, but I'm not even sure they carry what i need.

Also, thanks a lot for the link of yours - I will give it a read!

Old
08-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Thanks for help, it's much appreciated!

Yeah, I forgot to mention my budget, it is around $100 per racket. i'll look into MP28 as you suggested. Do you know a good store where I can pick all of my equipment(shoes, biurd and racket)? So far I could only think of Sports Experts, but I'm not even sure they carry what i need.

Also, thanks a lot for the link of yours - I will give it a read!
One of my student bought a Muscle Power 28 at Sports Experts, so I am sure you can find it there! There are also shoes and birds!

But if you want more choices, and better quality, there are two very good stores in the north of Montreal.
-Lucien Laverdure: (8724 St-Denis) just aside the metro Cremazie. Site
-Tennis Zone, Yvon Gilbert: (239 Henri-Bourassa Ouest) Site

Old
08-14-2006, 11:09 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

The racket won't make too much of a difference until as prospector said, you learn technique. Stay within your budget, but make sure you're committed to playing and improving before spending the big bucks. For a beginner, the best court advice I can give you is to avoid your backhand and keep the bird out of the middle of the court. Sometimes trying and missing on a difficult shot is better then plopping it up in the air so your opponent can just feed it down your throat. Hopefully the people you're playing with have the good sense to help you learn instead of just trying to beat you. Good luck, it's a really strategic game once you get the hang of it.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 11:23 AM
GoodKiwi

Thanks for help guys!

loudi94, I realize that a racket won't make all the difference in the world for a newcomer like myself, but I don't have one at the moment and I figured I should get something semi-decent at least so that I can stick with it for awhile, even after my skill/technique improves a bit. Obviously dedication is there, I enjoy myself playing and I'm paired up with a person who is about the same level, plus I got my very knowleadgeable friend by my side who guides me through. There are a lot of times when I just stand aside and watch very good players going at it.

Would someone really recommend buying a $20 set of Wal-Mart badminton rackets just because I'm very green? I'm being sincere with this question and not sarcastic.

Old
08-14-2006, 11:37 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:

Would someone really recommend buying a $20 set of Wal-Mart badminton rackets just because I'm very green? I'm being sincere with this question and not sarcastic.
NO!

You can get a yonex racket for approx $40-50 at any sportchek. They'll do the job for now and you won't look silly.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 11:39 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Thanks for help guys!

loudi94, I realize that a racket won't make all the difference in the world for a newcomer like myself, but I don't have one at the moment and I figured I should get something semi-decent at least so that I can stick with it for awhile, even after my skill/technique improves a bit. Obviously dedication is there, I enjoy myself playing and I'm paired up with a person who is about the same level, plus I got my very knowleadgeable friend by my side who guides me through. There are a lot of times when I just stand aside and watch very good players going at it.

Really not. Go with your first idea (buy a semi-decent racket). I have a Yonex Carbonex 3 that does the job pretty well and it cost me about 50$ back in the days. Pretty good investment.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 01:38 PM
GoodKiwi

Ok, I just came back from Sports Experts and they don't have Yonex MP28. They do carry MP21 for $99.99 though. I don't know if that's any good, and it's pushing my budget already.

The cheapest Yonex they had was Carbonex 8400 for $45. Worth a try?

Old
08-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Prospector

Quote:
Ok, I just came back from Sports Experts and they don't have Yonex MP28. They do carry MP21 for $99.99 though. I don't know if that's any good, and it's pushing my budget already.

The cheapest Yonex they had was Carbonex 8400 for $45. Worth a try?
I don't know much about the Carbonex 8400...

All I know is that it is a flexible racket, 2u (90 - 94 g) and power is rated from YONEX with 3 of 5 possible points.

For a beginner and if you are limited in your budget this racket will surely do its job!

But at a higher level think of buying a better racket

Old
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
StanAjax

Just a question.

Do you call the shuttlecock "l'oiseau" in Québec ?
Or bird is just the short word to say the shuttlecock and you call it a "volant" like we call it in France.

By the way, I used to be a player too, but I didn't practice that much during the past years.
I'm more playing tennis at the moment 'cos I found a partner, but I really prefer badminton. You have a softer touch to do fancy moves much more easily and it's a lot of fun.

Oh, and I've read that Saku is himself a Badminton player.
That's not surprising, as Badminton shares a few similarities with hockey (very fast paced game requiring soft hands...).

So, not much advise from me, P1x44r (if you really want to know, I've got a Wilson and another one that I don't remember the name...starts with a R ), but keep your interest up. It's definitely worth it.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote