HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 11:10 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahplk View Post
I believe there was a lot of *****ing and moaning about our late picks last year as Andrei Makarov was still available at the time. He was 7th on the NHL's North American Goalie Final Rankings while Hellebuyck wasn't ranked. Makarov went undrafted and Hellebuyck ended up going in the 5th round...go figure.
Huh. I guess 30 teams were wrong?

Old
03-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Huh. I guess 30 teams were wrong?
Just 29...

Old
03-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
As I recall it was because there was a few other "higher rated" goalies (Houser and Makarov) available.

I liked the pick only after doing research and finding out he showed tremendous talent, but was extremely raw.
Yeah, basically. His emergence this season certainly underscores why teams invest good money in their own scouting, and don't just pick up a copy of the ISS rankings and call it a day.

At any rate, didn't take Hellebuyck very long to get that raw talent working for him. All the reports out of UMass on him on- and off-the-ice are so glowing, this is an awfully nice surprise.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:46 PM
ps241
atta boy JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Yeah, basically. His emergence this season certainly underscores why teams invest good money in their own scouting, and don't just pick up a copy of the ISS rankings and call it a day.

At any rate, didn't take Hellebuyck very long to get that raw talent working for him. All the reports out of UMass on him on- and off-the-ice are so glowing, this is an awfully nice surprise.
Yea if this actually works out and he becomes a starter for us one day it would be massive. It is shocking how much "top" NHL goaltending talent has come from later rounds.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:16 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea if this actually works out and he becomes a starter for us one day it would be massive. It is shocking how much "top" NHL goaltending talent has come from later rounds.
Tendies are late bloomers, there aren't many goalies like Price and Fleury, that's why you have to draft with upside, which is TNSE's motto.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:31 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Tendies are late bloomers, there aren't many goalies like Price and Fleury, that's why you have to draft with upside, which is TNSE's motto.
I don't know if that's there motto. They took Sutter pretty high and he never had much upside.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:50 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
He was talking about tenders.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:51 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

More Helle Love

From Goalie Guild (exerted the bits about Hellebyuck):

Quote:
This game was not on ESPNU live, so I caught most of the replay later at night. This game was seemingly dominated by the RiverHawks for the entire 60 minutes, and the unquestionable defensive star was Winnipeg Jets prospect Connor Hellebuyck.

I’ve all but erased the term “blocking goalie” from my scouting vernacular, but only because today’s goaltending styles are not static. All NCAA-level goalies know that styles are predicated on situations, and that means the blocking save is a save selection, not a style. It’s more about decision-making and knowing when to use the blocking save, and in what kind of situations.

But the more I watched Hellebuyck against Wisconsin, the more I came to realize that he really is a “blocking-style” goalie. In so many instances, he was dropping, making himself big, letting pucks hit him, and then relying on his defense to clear loose pucks or tie up opponents so he could recover and square up again.

There was very little excess movement in his game, but I felt that a big part of this was due to the fact he’s not the strongest skater. Because of this, I think he’s forced to simplify his game by playing inside the blue paint and utilizing his big frame as much as possible.

What makes Connor such an interesting prospect is the fact that he has a “steely resolve” in the crease. He looks completely unfazed by anything happening around him, which is pretty remarkable for a freshman coming straight out of the NAHL. He has a quiet look about him, and it was really noticeable when he was being interviewed by ESPNU during a TV timeout.

What really resonated in my mind was a statement he made on ESPNU when he described his style. He called it “big and boring” and that really revealed to me a lot of what I’ve explained above — he does nothing fancy or flashy, he simply makes the first save and gets his body behind pucks in whatever manner necessary.

It’s not pretty, but it’s effective.

I was also interested to hear the broadcasters on ESPNU comment on how he had been working with former UML goaltender Dwayne Roloson. That opened the door for some more insights into his style, as Roloson was one of the true “old school” goalies that thrived by competing hard and reading plays extremely well.

Even though it wasn’t always pretty, there was no denying that Hellebuyck was making big saves throughout the game. The only shot that beat him came on a Wisconsin power play in the third period, and hit deflected off two bodies, so it wasn’t a result of a bad read or a mental lapse. He even stopped a penalty shot by Wisconsin’s Jeff Dahl late in the first period when the score was 1-0 UML.

Wisconsin may have been dominated in this game, but they out-shot the RiverHawks 11-4 in the first 20 minutes. Even when Wisconsin scored to pull within 3-1 in the third period, Hellebuyck’s steadying presence during the ensuing few minutes squashed whatever momentum Wisconsin had.

Hellebuyck finished with 31 saves and a chance to make the Frozen Four with a win over UNH on Saturday night.

To be honest, this guy fascinates me because I have so many questions about his style, and how it affects his long-term upside. Can he really thrive at the higher levels playing this way? Does the “drop-and-block” mentality allow him to develop the athleticism he’ll need at the next level? Can he improve to the point where he’s a solid pro-level goalie?

Regardless of these questions, and regardless of how much of his success stems from the team in front of him, the saves he made against Wisconsin were pretty impressive.

No, the footwork wasn’t polished, and no, he’s not the quickest goalie out there, but he was clearly the difference-maker, and at the end of the day, that’s all any head coach cares about.
http://www.mckeenshockey.com/the-goa...s-opening-day/

Old
03-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 2043
Hellebuyck's second game in the tournament is underway...

http://www.ncaa.com/game/icehockey-m...owell#boxscore

Wish I could find a stream for the game.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Veinless

http://naturallyhp.com/xpp.php?tintin7676 - currently intermission.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veinless View Post
Cheers!

Still 0-0 from the looks of it.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veinless View Post
Thank you.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Yowza. Kid is on fire. For fun I searched some of the old posts from around the time of the draft where everyone was like "WHO?! WHY?!" A couple folks giving an "F" grade to Hellebuyck pick, heh. Which I could appreciate at the time, but what a difference a season makes... Jets holding rights to the best goalie in the NCAA! Hope he continues developing, but so far at least this is looking like really nice work by Chevy and scouts -- total sleeper.
Haha, I don't even need to go back and look at those posts, I remember them all too well. I especially remember the rage about drafting the two "nobodies" over Andrey Makarov.

I have no idea how Makarov will project as a pro, but I remember Renegade Stylings (poster who does radio PBP for the Blades) saying there were huge concerns about his work ethic, and that he often appeared lackadaisical in practice. Suffice to say, I wasn't sulking about him not being drafted.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Haha, I don't even need to go back and look at those posts, I remember them all too well. I especially remember the rage about drafting the two "nobodies" over Andrey Makarov.

I have no idea how Makarov will project as a pro, but I remember Renegade Stylings (poster who does radio PBP for the Blades) saying there were huge concerns about his work ethic, and that he often appeared lackadaisical in practice. Suffice to say, I wasn't sulking about him not being drafted.
I never saw the allure with Makarov. I think he is pretty overrated, and considering the Jets took 2 Blades in the draft last year I am pretty sure they had scouted him plenty.

I agree that it's hard to get upset with late round picks. You just never know who will pan out and who won't. That being said I was hoping last year and hoping this year we take a flyer on Red Deer Rebels goalie Patrik Bartosak. Best tender in WHL this year, IMO, drafted OR undrafted.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:58 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I never saw the allure with Makarov. I think he is pretty overrated, and considering the Jets took 2 Blades in the draft last year I am pretty sure they had scouted him plenty.

I agree that it's hard to get upset with late round picks. You just never know who will pan out and who won't. That being said I was hoping last year and hoping this year we take a flyer on Red Deer Rebels goalie Patrik Bartosak. Best tender in WHL this year, IMO, drafted OR undrafted.
maybe we'll sign him on the off season at camp to keep the NCAA goalies in school

Old
03-30-2013, 07:58 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:

You must really love your Czech goalies, are you Slovakian

Old
03-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

Makarov hasn't really impressed me either, at least in the games I've seen. He's flashed the athleticism and quickness that many had mentioned, but his propensity to get drawn out of position and just flop around is troubling.

Hard to get upset with late round picks, even harder with late goalie picks. They're a bit of a necessary evil in a way, you need to bolster your organizational goaltending depth, but it's so bloody hard to project how they'll pan out. Even with as awesome as Hellebuyck has been this year, I couldn't tell you with any confidence that he'll be a competent AHL netminder, much less an NHL tender. At least not yet.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
maybe we'll sign him on the off season at camp to keep the NCAA goalies in school
Bartosak is eligible for the draft, doubt he goes undrafted again.

Doubt we bring any of the NCAA goalies out school this year. All 3 (Kasdorf, Hellebuyck, Phillips) were freshmen.

We will need to sign a goalie though, since we only have 1 under contract for next year (Pavelec) and 1 RFA that will be signed (Pasquale). Interesting to see what the Jets do next year.

Maybe target a guy like Antti Raanta out of Finland (best goalie in the SM-Liigga this year at just 23 years old).

Quote:
You must really love your Czech goalies, are you Slovakian
I cheer for Slovakia internationally (therefore hate Czechs ) so if I like a Czech player they tend to be really good in some way

Old
03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Brassard with a nice rebound.
I think he and Sutter will be given AHL contracts to try and prove their way back in TNSE good graces.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 4785
That was an unreal goal that the UMass-Lowell kid just scored to make it 2-0.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Connor Hellebuyck wins again, via shutout this time!

His g.a.a. is 0.50 over the tourney thus far.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 4785
ANOTHER shutout for Hellebuyck. First time the riverhawks have made the frozen four.

Hellebuyck looks great. Tons of poise and very economical in his movements. Still needs work on his rebound control, but the system U-Mass Lowell plays compliments him perfectly. Great game.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quinnipiac won today as well.

JST with a goal in the third to tie it.
http://www.ncaa.com/game/icehockey-m...ipiac#boxscore

Old
03-30-2013, 09:25 PM
puck stoppa

This guy will demand a hell of a buck one day, ya I know Ive had a few too many!

Old
03-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Waldo

Quote:
This guy will demand a hell of a buck one day, ya I know Ive had a few too many!
Or maybe not enough.

Closed Thread