HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fake Bloggers

Old
08-13-2006, 01:59 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I always have a hard time believing how much posting the anti-Exlund group does around here.

Hey, if you don't like his stuff, don't read it and don't discuss it. It's quite easy to do.

Overall, I have no doubt that Eklund has more NHL contacts than everybody on this board combined. Bob McKenzie has vouched for him. And when looking at the people he has on his site, he must get scoops from time to time.

Truthfully I think alot of managment teams in the NHL sometimes 'like' to leak things to the media, to see what kind of reaction it receives from the fan base. Also, I'm sure there are memebers of a certain team who will talk to reporters from time to time about things that get bask to Eklund.

So why are such a large percentace of his rumours turn out to be false. Partially, I beleive, because for every trade/free agent signing that a team discusses or looks into, I'm sure only a small percentage actually happens.

Finally, I like reading his stuff purely as entertainment. I don't care if his % of rumours become true is 0.01%. I like thinking about the possibilities of the rumours and things like that.
Bob McKenzie said he was less plugged in. I suspect that his contacts during the strike were from the players side lending credence to the notion that the veracity of his chatter is poor.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:07 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
I'm sure there are kernels in all that is "wirten". It is good to have someone to revere. It saves thinking. We have to agree to disagree.
Yes we'll have to agree to disagree. I think that sifting through the information involves thinking while you think that dismissing without even looking involves thinking.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Stuy

Until he A) Starts using his real name
B) Writes for a real publication

99% of hockey fans will continue to not believe a word he says.

08-13-2006, 03:05 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Yes we'll have to agree to disagree. I think that sifting through the information involves thinking while you think that dismissing without even looking involves thinking.
Finding the truth shouldnt involve sifting through BS unless the messenger is a BSer.

Old
08-13-2006, 03:52 PM
znk

Quote:
Finding the truth shouldnt involve sifting through BS unless the messenger is a BSer.
Finding the truth.....It's not about finding the truth its about finding interesting information and this does involves sifting through as much information as you can and then finding correlations and using your own judgement as to what you think is worth your attention and what you think is nonsense. I read stuff from Spector, Code, Eklund, this forum and various other sources. Do I believe everything I read? no. Are any of them right 100% of the time? no. Are any of them wrong 100% of the time? no. Do I find valuable information? yes.
I dont see the problem with that. I find this to be alot of fun especialy durring the free agent period and the trading deadline. It's all about keeping an open mind, having confidence in your own judgement and having capacity to extrapolate at a higher level. Anyway I think it's alot more fun then posting.."Eklund sux"

Old
08-13-2006, 03:56 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks View Post

I agree that to some this seems to be a requirement. But knowing that some people like Bob Mckenzie do know who he is should help I think. But there is also the fact that I would think that some sources are more inclined to talking to someone who it would be hard to trace you back to. It's the main advantage I of having a certain level of anonymity.

Old
08-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks View Post

His amazingly poor % of success is what hurts him the most IMO.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 04:09 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
His amazingly poor % of success is what hurts him the most IMO.
He got quite a few right this year. And bessides its not about predicting who will sign where...it's about who is talking with who. When he was saying that Montreal was talking with Shanahan he was right. Shanahan went to the rangers...but it dosent mean he didnt talk to montreal. That's one of the things that agravates me the most...."The player didnt go to the team he said he was talkign to...therefore he was wrong". That's pure nonsense.

That being said. I bet you have no idea who he got going to the right team. And then you talk about low %.

Here is a little example of how it always goes.
Eklund give a rumour...every one discredits him..it turns out true.... It's pretty pathetic if you ask me.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ghlight=eklund

Last edited by znk: 08-13-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old
08-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Beatnik

Quote:
He got quite a few right this year. And bessides its not about predicting who will sign where...it's about who is talking with who. When he was saying that Montreal was talking with Shanahan he was right. Shanahan went to the rangers...but it dosent mean he didnt talk to montreal. That's one of the things that agravates me the most...."The player didnt go to the team he said he was talkign to...therefore he was wrong". That's pure nonsense.

Shanahan talking with Gainey was'nt a surprise to anyone. Pure logic. I'm not even sure he was the first one to "rumored" it. He often took credit for stuff that came from other site/newspaper. He did it again today with the Malkin story.

I followed his blog for a while around the deadline. Not only it was pretty clear that his stuff were pure guess, they were'nt even good ones. I would have had a much better % of success.

Old
08-13-2006, 04:41 PM
znk

Quote:
Shanahan talking with Gainey was'nt a surprise to anyone. Pure logic. I'm not even sure he was the first one to "rumored" it. He often took credit for stuff that came from other site/newspaper. He did it again today with the Malkin story.

I followed his blog for a while around the deadline. Not only it was pretty clear that his stuff were pure guess, they were'nt even good ones. I would have had a much better % of success.
What do you mean he did it again today? could you elaborate? All I got was him posting yesterday that Malkin was on a plane to canada. And today he's talking about how the contract was forced on him.

You would have more success? I could take you up on this one. If its so easy why dont you do it? Also that's an other of the funny things about the haters..."He was lucky, just a guess".

Old
08-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Beatnik

Quote:
What do you mean he did it again today? could you elaborate? All I got was him posting yesterday that Malkin was on a plane to canada. And today he's talking about how the contract was forced on him.
It's yesterday, my bad.

He claims that one of his famous "source" gave him the info while it was reported on a russian site (and on HF) many hours before.

"Reports: Malkin Flees Russia, and heads to Canada
Saturday @ 4:34 PM ET | Comments (95)
According to a source Russian Superstar center Evgeni Malkin is enroute to Canada after landing in Finland with his Russian hockey team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk."

Last edited by Beatnik: 08-13-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old
08-13-2006, 05:01 PM
znk

Quote:
It's yesterday, my bad.

He claims that one of his famous "source" gave him the info while it was reported on a russian site (and on HF) many hours before.

According to a source Russian Superstar center Evgeni Malkin is enroute to Canada after landing in Finland with his Russian hockey team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk."
His source told him he was enroute to canada. Something I dont remember seeing anywhere else.

Old
08-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Beatnik

Quote:
His source told him he was enroute to canada. Something I dont remember seeing anywhere else.
He "modified" it but it's basicly the same news. He clearly take credit for the whole thing.

The whole post: "According to a source Russian Superstar center Evgeni Malkin is enroute to Canada after landing in Finland with his Russian hockey team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk. Malkin took his belongings and passport and has not been located.....A high-up NHL source confirms hearing the same thing....wow..more to come"

Not a word about the Russian source!!!!! I'm sorry but it really sound like if he's breaking the whole thing.

Also he now includes Dumont to Montreal in his rumors, while it's over a week old from Code or another one...

Old
08-13-2006, 05:24 PM
znk

Quote:
He "modified" it but it's basicly the same news. He clearly take credit for the whole thing.

The whole post: "According to a source Russian Superstar center Evgeni Malkin is enroute to Canada after landing in Finland with his Russian hockey team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk. Malkin took his belongings and passport and has not been located.....A high-up NHL source confirms hearing the same thing....wow..more to come"

Not a word about the Russian source!!!!! I'm sorry but it really sound like if he's breaking the whole thing.

Also he now includes Dumont to Montreal in his rumors, while it's over a week old from Code or another one...
I guess he should put in bold or something the part of the news that comes from his source. God forbid he puts context arround his info. And if he was copying Code for the Dumont thing...dont you think he would have put it up quicker? Like a couple of hours after Code said it? Why wait a week?

Ok...I lost. I dont have the will to keep fighting the good fight with people who have an agenda or an obviously deeply rooted mistrust or even hate of Eklund. To some people its impossible he has contacts altho he's got all these quality bloggers on his site.
I would just apreaciate you dont jump on me when I quote something I got from his site.
Peace.

Old
08-13-2006, 05:39 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
It's yesterday, my bad.

where do you see that he claims that " his sources " gave him the info ?

He just said " according to a source ... " not " his source "

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 06:14 PM
mcphee

I think there are guy sout there who have a few sources, people in the hockey business, agents, scouts, broadcasters whoever, agents more than anything else I'd bet, who love to mix it up on their blogs. They get a hint about a phone call overheard, they hear a GM wouldn't confirm or deny, they add 2+2 and there you go.

I consider eklund I guy like this. In that probably 90% of transactions that are discussed never happen, I wouldn't hold these guys to that high a standard. A pro scout could tell Gainey that Morrow has been playing great hockey, and Gainey could call his agent, presuming they have a relationship, and ask how happy his client is. Then he can call a GM and ask if that player fits into their plans. It can be for no more reason than letting the guy know that if he becomes available,I'm interested. 3-4 people have been involved, something leaks,you have a rumour.

I have no problem with this guy, he's not McKenzie, but he's not some guy alone in his room inventing stuff because his life is empty either. He, as Bob M. has stated, has quality people on his blog, as do a few of the others.

Some of them, are a waste of time, guys desperately wanting to be on the inside, or just having fun with the gullible fans.

Take it for what it is, read between the lines, have fun with it. Don't jump to conclusions. We have threads that acknowledge this stff as fact now. "since we know Carbo doesn't like Markov....." " since we know Souray will be dealt...."

We don't know this stuff. If it's of substance, well everyone should have their own bs detector. I don't see any harm.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 06:34 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think there are guy sout there who have a few sources, people in the hockey business, agents, scouts, broadcasters whoever, agents more than anything else I'd bet, who love to mix it up on their blogs. They get a hint about a phone call overheard, they hear a GM wouldn't confirm or deny, they add 2+2 and there you go.

I consider eklund I guy like this. In that probably 90% of transactions that are discussed never happen, I wouldn't hold these guys to that high a standard. A pro scout could tell Gainey that Morrow has been playing great hockey, and Gainey could call his agent, presuming they have a relationship, and ask how happy his client is. Then he can call a GM and ask if that player fits into their plans. It can be for no more reason than letting the guy know that if he becomes available,I'm interested. 3-4 people have been involved, something leaks,you have a rumour.

I have no problem with this guy, he's not McKenzie, but he's not some guy alone in his room inventing stuff because his life is empty either. He, as Bob M. has stated, has quality people on his blog, as do a few of the others.

Some of them, are a waste of time, guys desperately wanting to be on the inside, or just having fun with the gullible fans.

Take it for what it is, read between the lines, have fun with it. Don't jump to conclusions. We have threads that acknowledge this stff as fact now. "since we know Carbo doesn't like Markov....." " since we know Souray will be dealt...."

We don't know this stuff. If it's of substance, well everyone should have their own bs detector. I don't see any harm.

Old
08-13-2006, 06:36 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

That could be a motivation. Building up an internet based business. It seems Eklund has left the others in the dust.

Old
08-13-2006, 07:31 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
where do you see that he claims that " his sources " gave him the info ?

He just said " according to a source ... " not " his source "
Well, when the source is TSN, you can say "According to TSN", that's less pretentious than "According to a source".
That's unnecessary drama if you ask me...

I don't like this business side, that is supposed to lead to the "insider chatroom" or whatever it is called...
I really don't understand how anyone can pay for rumors...

But I wouldn't care at all, if nobody was coming here with so many rumors stated as facts, as McPhee pointed out.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 08:52 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I guess he should put in bold or something the part of the news that comes from his source. God forbid he puts context arround his info. And if he was copying Code for the Dumont thing...dont you think he would have put it up quicker? Like a couple of hours after Code said it? Why wait a week?

Ok...I lost. I dont have the will to keep fighting the good fight with people who have an agenda or an obviously deeply rooted mistrust or even hate of Eklund. To some people its impossible he has contacts altho he's got all these quality bloggers on his site.
I would just apreaciate you dont jump on me when I quote something I got from his site.
Peace.
"I dont have the will to keep fighting the good fight with people who have an agenda or an obviously deeply rooted mistrust or even hate"
Paranoia? Like we work for code or something lol

Old
08-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Darz

Quote:
Btw purple is not a fruit....it's a vegetable.

Hmmm.....well Homer believes purple is a fruit, and I believe everything Homer says, so......

Homer: Purple is a fruit (e4)

08-14-2006, 10:17 AM
znk

Quote:
"I dont have the will to keep fighting the good fight with people who have an agenda or an obviously deeply rooted mistrust or even hate"
Paranoia? Like we work for code or something lol
Arguments are fun when the two parites involved have a certain level of maturity and the capacity to bring arguments and understand them. Right now I have the feeling I'm trying to teach quantum physics to a goat. No matter how hard I try it wont be possible because the goat doesnt have the capacity nor the will to understand. You have a deeply rooted mistrust of Eklund and that's not paranoia. You have no more arguments left and arent able to counter the arguments presented earlier. You obviously cant comprehend any of what I am saying or take a step back to reevalutate your position. This could go on for ever. I've wasted to much energy on you allready. I knew it was a mistake when I removed you from my ignore list....why did I ever do that.
You won, you are the best.

Old
08-14-2006, 10:40 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Arguments are fun when the two parites involved have a certain level of maturity and the capacity to bring arguments and understand them. Right now I have the feeling I'm trying to teach quantum physics to a goat. No matter how hard I try it wont be possible because the goat doesnt have the capacity nor the will to understand. You have a deeply rooted mistrust of Eklund and that's not paranoia. You have no more arguments left and arent able to counter the arguments presented earlier. You obviously cant comprehend any of what I am saying or take a step back to reevalutate your position. This could go on for ever. I've wasted to much energy on you allready. I knew it was a mistake when I removed you from my ignore list....why did I ever do that.
You won, you are the best.
As a matter of fact I have a very high IQ and a number of degrees including a Doctorate. Of course I mistrust the bloggers. So do most fans. Bye Bye

Old
08-14-2006, 10:48 AM
mcphee

I don't know much about trusting bloggers. Seems harmless if you can evaluate what you read, and understand they simply regurgitate and evaluate what they hear. At least some do.

I'm posting about the lack of respect shown to goats in this thread. Don't presume to know the intellectual capacity of a goat. Don't make me go the 'report bad post' route.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

I think he discredited himself when he began with his E-1, E-2 and the rest....I don't think he needed that, that way people think it's easy for him to get it right since he name pratically half of the team of the NHL so then he could say that he got it right.....

He didn't need that type of ranking, he could've just written what he hears....

Besides that, phony or not, I don't care, I read that stuff and then decide by myself who seems legit or not.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote