HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames Fans jumping ship. Introduction Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Sk8M8

vCash: 584
Flames fan, definitely pulling for the Pens in the east now . . . Then once the Flames are out mathematically, I'm fully on board. This feels scary.

What I'm most scared about is that Iginla performs . . . He's not going to be the superstar of 2000 - 2005, IggyA- should benefit this team quite nicely. Just hope there's a tiny bit of grace period.

Sk8M8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Honour Over Glory

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Quick Start Guide to Pens Fandom - Some things it's important for you to be familiar with if you're going to be hopping on the bandwagon.

We're all Bandwagoners - True. There were no Pens fans before Crosby was drafted. None. In fact, some of us question whether the NHL even existed before 2005 at all. We have yet to see any compelling evidence.

Pens tanked to get Crosby/Malkin/Fleury/etc. - Obviously true. A team with Dick Tarnstrom as its leading scorer should clearly be trucking everyone else night in and night out. Imagine if they hadn't been bankrupt and could actually afford to pay a real NHL'er or two. They might have given the 80s Oilers a run for their money...except they wouldn't have bothered. Easier just to tank.

The Crosby Lottery was rigged - Also true. Flying in the face of all logic that a rigged lottery would have sent him to a large market or one of Bettman's sunbelt teams, he was awarded to the Penguins via a clandestine plot and weighted ping pong balls. Never bring up the point that the Pens were the worst team in the NHL the season before the lockout and thus had the best chance of winning the lottery anyway. Nobody cares for your fancypants "facts."

Pens almost moved to KC because they had no fans - Since it's already been validated that they had no fans, this is true. A corrupt former owner, an absolute ****hole of an arena with a terrible lease agreement, and inept local politics played absolutely no part in it whatsoever. It's also of no relevance to point out strong tv ratings even when attendance wasn't the greatest. Nobody was actually watching.

Gary Bettman loves us and makes sure we win at all costs - I mean, who wouldn't, right? I'm really not clear on whether he pays the refs out of his own pocket or if there's a petty cash fund set aside for it, though.

The Penguins are an "arrogant organization" - from the owners to the janitors, nothing but arrogance. John Tortorella says so.

Welcome aboard.

That is awesome. Sums it all up nicely.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:14 PM
iupswack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Quick Start Guide to Pens Fandom - Some things it's important for you to be familiar with if you're going to be hopping on the bandwagon.

We're all Bandwagoners - True. There were no Pens fans before Crosby was drafted. None. In fact, some of us question whether the NHL even existed before 2005 at all. We have yet to see any compelling evidence.

Pens tanked to get Crosby/Malkin/Fleury/etc. - Obviously true. A team with Dick Tarnstrom as its leading scorer should clearly be trucking everyone else night in and night out. Imagine if they hadn't been bankrupt and could actually afford to pay a real NHL'er or two. They might have given the 80s Oilers a run for their money...except they wouldn't have bothered. Easier just to tank.

The Crosby Lottery was rigged - Also true. Flying in the face of all logic that a rigged lottery would have sent him to a large market or one of Bettman's sunbelt teams, he was awarded to the Penguins via a clandestine plot and weighted ping pong balls. Never bring up the point that the Pens were the worst team in the NHL the season before the lockout and thus had the best chance of winning the lottery anyway. Nobody cares for your fancypants "facts."

Pens almost moved to KC because they had no fans - Since it's already been validated that they had no fans, this is true. A corrupt former owner, an absolute ****hole of an arena with a terrible lease agreement, and inept local politics played absolutely no part in it whatsoever. It's also of no relevance to point out strong tv ratings even when attendance wasn't the greatest. Nobody was actually watching.

Gary Bettman loves us and makes sure we win at all costs - I mean, who wouldn't, right? I'm really not clear on whether he pays the refs out of his own pocket or if there's a petty cash fund set aside for it, though.

The Penguins are an "arrogant organization" - from the owners to the janitors, nothing but arrogance. John Tortorella says so.

Welcome aboard.
Post of the year

iupswack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Canbacon

Not jumping ship, as I've been a Pens fan since the early 90's. Just joining the board to support Iginla, as I'm a resident of Calgary.

Canbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:48 PM
DoubleJ96

Flames fan here cheering for the Penguins and Iginla to win the Cup. This was my #1 choice for Iggy to get traded to since I was a life long Lemieux fan.

GO PENS!!!

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Christian Yellow

vCash: 50
Go Iggy! I'll be ordering my Pens jersey shortly.

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:02 AM
Reinhart

Not only are Calgary fans cheering for Iginla, but even loads of fans from rival teams of the Flames will be too.

It isn't often that the 'face of the franchise' who is also known for his physical play and fighting, is called 'classy' and respected by rivals. Sure, not everyone... but by a lot.

Once more Canadian teams are knocked out, there will be more and more Canadian fans cheering you guys on. Heck, outside of your heated rivals, the entire NHL will be cheering you guys on.

Can't wait to watch him play for you guys.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:45 PM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

vCash: 879
Late to the party, any more spots on the bandwagon? Been a Flames fan all my life and I can't wait to see him hoist the cup! (hopefully!) The look on his face today make me real happy that he is on the Pens!

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:37 AM
jaromeyI

i have grown up with iggy for 16 years. i was 12 when i started watching the flames in the mid 90's (during the dreaded young guns era). being a flames fan was so torturous for a decade, but that's who i was. that's who we were. living a dying as a flames fan.

2004 came and it was incredible. i don't think anyone can deny the energy it brought--there hasn't been anything seen in the NHL since, nor anything prior. i challenge anyone to say different. 10 years of repressed emotion suddenly unleashed in a swarm of 20-somethings.

so, i am not a bandwagoner. i am a diehard fan, and always have been. that being said, i bought my PIT jersey today. iginla has embodied the flames for so long he has BECOME the flames. it has been hard for me to watch and cheer for the team without iginla. because what are they? they are mismanaged and lacking in both talent and heart. i still love kipper, and will always love kipper. glenx has grown on me. but beyond that there is nothing. i don't know how else to describe it.

maybe moving to the states 3 years ago has disenfranchised me. i don't get plastered with all flames all the time (as much as i loved it for 27 years). i see things more objectively now, yet still retain the undying passion for iggy.

so i will cheer for the pens this season and through the playoffs. and i hope he resigns with the pens, though it's doubtful. for whatever its worth, i will cherish my PIT jersey with iggy's name on the back.

jaromeyI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:38 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Welcome aboard! Grab an avatar and feel free to stop in as much as you'd like. Our GDTs can be quite a roller coaster, but please make yourself at home.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:15 AM
invictus

I do have to say The Red Mile in '04 seemed to have the most gratuitous and frequent nudity of any finals run I can ever recall.

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:34 AM
flameaholic
#neverquit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
The look on his face today make me real happy that he is on the Pens!
Yeah, he seems happy. It's almost like he's been finally let out of jail.

I hope he wins the Stanley Cup this year.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote