HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 04:01 PM
aqib

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post

The NHL may, at their sole discretion, extend the AMUL for 10-years and assign it to anyone they want. Glendale's consent is not required. So, if an owner did not require a large scale operational subsidy from the city, the league can close the deal all by themselves, whenever they want.

I think you know where I stand on the probability of that happening: Not viable, blah, blah, blah.
Yes, but they had a different arrangement for this season. So I wonder if this years arrangement superceded the AMUL.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:10 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Yes, but they had a different arrangement for this season. So I wonder if this years arrangement superceded the AMUL.
The city council indicated the NHL was operating on a tolling version of the AMUL for the current season. It started as month-to-month extensions in summer of 2012 and then was extended to the end of this season after the JIG deal expired.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:09 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

I might have said this before, but Killion is easily in the list of the Top 10 Most Interesting People I'd Like To Meet.

So, with the AMULA tolling and the AMOA dead, and the Balkan-ization of things in Glendale... is it safe to say the mass-enhanced diva is awaiting her turn in the wings?

Old
03-30-2013, 05:38 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
I might have said this before, but Killion is easily in the list of the Top 10 Most Interesting People I'd Like To Meet.
Ditto that.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Ditto that.

I'm not done interrogating him.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

.. well, aww, shucks fella's. thanks.... me, I'd always thought it would be fun to meet & hang out with Stevie Y. Looks like he really knew how to party that one.

good luck with that #2.
Be seeing you...

Old
03-30-2013, 07:18 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I'm not done interrogating him.

Yoikes!!!!

Old
03-30-2013, 07:22 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Yes.

http://www.azcentral.com/ic/pdf/0509draft.pdf

@ Bates GLEN17961 / Sec 7 Assignment
@ Bates GLEN17966 / Amendment Sec 3.4 Term

The NHL may, at their sole discretion, extend the AMUL for 10-years and assign it to anyone they want. Glendale's consent is not required. So, if an owner did not require a large scale operational subsidy from the city, the league can close the deal all by themselves, whenever they want.

I think you know where I stand on the probability of that happening: Not viable, blah, blah, blah.

Thanks, CF!!

So the scenario I outlined a couple pages back would be possible, no?? (ie... NHL sells to Gosbee/IEH, transfers the AMUL and then allows them to move if they can't get something worked with Glendale.)

Old
03-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
So the scenario I outlined a couple pages back would be possible, no?? (ie... NHL sells to Gosbee/IEH, transfers the AMUL and then allows them to move if they can't get something worked with Glendale.)
Ya, sure, anythings possible. Though how probable that might be I know not.... absent any kind of Bonding, over-the-hedge type AMF & Lease, theres nothing preventing the NHL from doing precisely that. You cut out an awful lot of wasted time & effort through the simple assignment of that agreement to an owner, by-passing the COG altogether (with the exception of an AMF). A separate agreement between the NHL & whomever could easily be crafted capping the Consent Forms' (that you'll guarantee to cover losses & prove that you have the ability to do so, these are often open ended & into perpetuity however you could put a ceiling on it, play hardball with the NHL).

Give it 48 months and if within that time no way no how its going to work serve notice to the NHL & the COG, give them 12mnths to secure a buyer or the teams being sold or moved upon conclusion of the following season, year 5. If moving, accumulated losses applied against a Relo Fee etc. Glendale paying a market-value AMF performance based. If your "real", serious, I dont think your going anywhere. Simple enough matter to turn things around down there. This nonsense that the fans wont respond or trust anyone on a short-term agreement is I think just that, nonsense, however, much would depend upon who were talking about, who the ownership group might be... if for example they seem to have a fondness for seersucker suits, white fake Crocodile vinyl shoes & belt, ill fitting toupee'.... drives around town in a Gold 64 Lincoln with Texas, Oregon, Washington State, Ontario or Quebec plates that he never bothers to change.... then ya, you see stuff like that, might wanna start worrying some TL.

Last edited by Killion: 03-30-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old
03-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Nothing new on the Hotstove this evening. Apparently Pastor is meeting with the league and CoG this week to 'firm up the sale'.

Curious during this meeting with the city, how long it will last once Mr. Pastor mentions how much $$$ he will need to run the team.

They describe him as the last chance for Phoenix....well last one until the next name is unveiled.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Nothing new on the Hotstove this evening. Apparently Pastor is meeting with the league and CoG this week to 'firm up the sale'.... They describe him as the last chance for Phoenix....well last one until the next name is unveiled.
Its pretty hard to believe that at this late hour that suddenly the Coyotes have a wealth of interest & potential buyers in Pastor & Gosbee yet here we are, being reported widely as any rudimentary google search will confirm. Gosbee apparently set to make an offer early this week, Pastor shortly thereafter. Frankly, I hope these stories are true, as this is just to interesting a tale to be ending in the ignominy of (Quebec's turn will come Im sure) Relocation. ... On Gosbee, some interesting background stuff available on-line, ditto Pastor, who's hockey roots are rather interesting. His family (Uncle I believe) owned the Pepsi franchise in the Buffalo area back in the 50's & 60's onward, buying the struggling Buffalo Bisons around 56/57 playing then in the AHL but also with roots in the IHL. Owned the franchise through 70'ish. They re-branded the Bisons with the now famous Pepsi script, called the bottle-cap logo, enjoying much success through the 60's. The Sabres using the same font & script on a 3rd jersey in gold not long ago in way of a salute to the Bisons, hockey heritage in Buffalo, and very nice looking jerseys they were/are. Wonder if the Reverend Pastor has plans of similar ilk for the Coyotes. That right there with league approval could be worth tens of millions...

Old
03-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
^

Must agree, the timing is odd on these new investors, though IMO well orchestrated by the NHL using thier respective emissaries with TSN and Sportsnet.

As some posters have mentioned earlier this week, the Dreger tweet followed quickly by the emerging names of the new investor groups comes fresh off the heels of CoG moving forward with Beacon for the RFP(s).

Pastor's resume looks impressive for sure though this still looks like the league is dangling another carrot or two to infront the city to squeeze some $$ one last time...ball volleyed back into CoG's court.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:26 PM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Nothing new on the Hotstove this evening. Apparently Pastor is meeting with the league and CoG this week to 'firm up the sale'.
I'm surprised, but not shocked, that the league hasn't done anything to stop Pastor from trying to associate himself with the Coyotes. Unless he recently inherited a lot of money, he doesn't seem to have a lot of wealth personally. He manages a fund, with five other people, that is worth over $400 million. He announced he was trying to get the team about the tackiest way possible; a press release that he wrote himself. It just seems the NHL would allow anyone to announce themselves as a "potenial" buyer of the Coyotes. Given the others they have allowed to be connected (IEH, Hulsizer, Jamison, etc), it seems they just don't care.

Maybe I should stop saying stuff here and get my press release in gear.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:34 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I've been tuned out on the NHL since the lockout, but I'm curious: what are the odds this team stays at this point?

Old
03-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
Maybe I should stop saying stuff here and get my press release in gear.
Its strange isnt it, and no denials, refutations from the NHL. The other curious thing is that this press release this guy writes, first I see of it is in the Sacramento Bee. Why would anyone in that city care? Well, they'd just approved a $250M+ expenditure on a new $450M+ home for the Kings of the NBA, pushing back against Seattle & Hansen, the Maloofs in wanting to sell up & off-market, supposedly or purportedly with Sterns blessings. Then you have Ron Burkle of the Penguins as one of 3 partners offering to buy the Kings, kick in a sizeable chunk of change for the new NBA arena. Now, I cant imagine an NHL franchise in Scaramento but who knows? Its just all very weird & getting stranger by the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I've been tuned out on the NHL since the lockout, but I'm curious: what are the odds this team stays at this point?
A month ago Id have said 90% chance gone. Today? Well, see above.... you had Pierre Karl Peladeau in Quebec resigning from his seat as Chair of Quebecor, saying he wanted to spend more time on personal & charitable matters, the assumption being those likely featured the return of the Nordiques. You had Jamison failing to make the January 31st Deadline to buy the team, well short financially, the $300M+ 20yr Arena Management Contract taken off the table, new Mayor & Council Members decidedly cold to ever contemplating such again. Now this. Two guys, Gosbee in particular with a great deal of personal wealth, out of nowhere. The other, Pastor, a wealth fund manager who's nowhere near Gosbee's range, seemingly enthusiastic & serious, about to slap down an offer as well. Just no idea haseoke...

Old
03-31-2013, 01:39 AM
Glacial

Quote:
So, with the AMULA tolling and the AMOA dead, and the Balkan-ization of things in Glendale... is it safe to say the mass-enhanced diva is awaiting her turn in the wings?
Oh if only they would have a heavy-set opera singer belt out the national anthem (maybe put her in full valkyrie regalia too) on the ice before the final home game... or maybe the final game of the season.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:53 AM
aqib

Quote:
The city council indicated the NHL was operating on a tolling version of the AMUL for the current season. It started as month-to-month extensions in summer of 2012 and then was extended to the end of this season after the JIG deal expired.
Right, but what I am curious about is did the temporary deal invalidate the existing AMUL? Can the NHL just pick up the AMUL for the next 8 years or was that gone when they negotiated the deal for this season.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:55 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Its strange isnt it, and no denials, refutations from the NHL. The other curious thing is that this press release this guy writes, first I see of it is in the Sacramento Bee. Why would anyone in that city care?
The Sacramento Bee will release anything that PR Newswire puts out there. In fact, they have an entire section on the main Business page dedicated to recently released press releases. Here is the original release by PR Newswire.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...200607841.html

Old
03-31-2013, 07:14 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

"Source: Darrin Pastor"

Gee! This guy is really smart.

A bunch of 60 seconds advertisements at the Super Bowl show would not give his firm the same visibility.

PS: He is meeting Glendale on april first right?

Last edited by QcBlizzard: 03-31-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old
03-31-2013, 08:06 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
The Sacramento Bee will release anything that PR Newswire puts out there. In fact, they have an entire section on the main Business page dedicated to recently released press releases. Here is the original release by PR Newswire.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...200607841.html
Yup, lots of news sources just put PRs out there. Only TSN seems to have had a staff writer on this.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...60+PRN20130329

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dar...tes-2013-03-29

Also, the name of his firm - Capstone Affluent Strategies - would imply that most of his clients have less than $1 million in investable assets.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:18 AM
madhi19

It just more tire kickers who will dissapear the moment they sign the NDA and look at the books.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:26 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Yup, lots of news sources just put PRs out there. Only TSN seems to have had a staff writer on this.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...60+PRN20130329

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dar...tes-2013-03-29

Also, the name of his firm - Capstone Affluent Strategies - would imply that most of his clients have less than $1 million in investable assets.
Scott Burnside of ESPN also put an article out there, though he seems to be pretty dismissive of Pastor's entry.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...n-buying-yotes

TSN seems to have been duped into thinking Pastor is legit, basically quoting the press release in the article. Are these news organizations falling for a press release? If Pastor did this to get his name/company out there, he's hit the jackpot.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:46 AM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
I think it's contractually possible. However, including location transfer rights with a team sale doesn't appear to be the NHL's standard method. But it's their league, they can do whatever they want. In that scenario, assuming the NHL would include the ability to relocate in the deal, the landing spot would have to be KC, right? Gosbee/IEH wouldn't seem to have a lot of leverage or options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
It seems that depends on how much NHL content is worth to a multimedia company in Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Right, but what I am curious about is did the temporary deal invalidate the existing AMUL? Can the NHL just pick up the AMUL for the next 8 years or was that gone when they negotiated the deal for this season.
There was no temporary deal. They tolled the amended AMUL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Coyote Affluent Strategies seems like a logical next step...

Old
03-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
It just more tire kickers who will dissapear the moment they sign the NDA and look at the books.
No Dollars, Actually?

We don't need to look at no stinkin' books!

Old
03-31-2013, 10:25 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Mar 31 2013 ( Remember this date when you read his quote )

Direct quote from the Pastor...

http://www.investmentnews.com/articl...FREE/130339998

“I've been watching what's going on and [the Coyotes] are a very competitive franchise — they went to the conference final last year,” Mr. Pastor said in an interview. “But they can't catch a break, and if they don't soon, they'll probably leave the west and go to Winnipeg or Quebec.”

OK..... Just throwing this out there, but would you trust someone or want them to buy your team and keep it Glendale, who by his own words has been watchin' what's been going on, yet doesn't even realize that Winnipeg already got a freaking team 2 years ago?!?!?!

Hey, I know Winnipeg has been successful and all, but even we want to share teams with other Canadian cities.... we don't need two NHL franchises, thanks anyway.

If Mr. Bettman is going to dig up these shills and have them them pretend to be interested, at least make sure you have them up to date on the league operations before doing so.

Closed Thread