HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) 4-6 weeks | Letang (toe) 1 week

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
That would be my thought as well. Though that would also comment on the severity of the injury, given that he couldn't be given a local for it.

edit: it's kind of weird that we are getting updates on if he's staying overnight at the hospital, but not on the type of injury or surgery...
Maybe, maybe not. You can get general for a root canal or a wisdom tooth extraction if you're a giant huge baby or if they anticipate that there might be problems (impacted teeth, etc.). Certain surgeries they give you general just because it's easier as long as you don't have any health risks that would prohibit it. If it was a lot of extensive work it may have just been easier on Sid. General anesthesia isn't necessarily indicative of the severity of the surgery.

* Note: I'm not a doctor, my sister-in-law is an ER nurse and we were talking about Sid's injuries earlier and speculating because we have nothing else to do with our time. I'm also a bit of a veteran of general anesthesia.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumexpose View Post
How could this cause a concussion? Watched it numerous times on replay, his head never snaps, twists, moves, or anything. Seems that the full impact was right on the mouth. I'm kind of puzzled why anyone has even mentioned it.
After being out for a year plus with a concussion, any hit even near the general vicinity of the head will bring concern.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
That would be my thought as well. Though that would also comment on the severity of the injury, given that he couldn't be given a local for it.

edit: it's kind of weird that we are getting updates on if he's staying overnight at the hospital, but not on the type of injury or surgery...
The Penguins organization really are kind of jerks about updating the media and their fans on injuries, especially Crosby injuries.

They know now the severity (maybe only thing lingering is concussion and seeing if he develops any symptoms).

Old
03-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_°)ノ

I think, based on pure speculation judging from the replays, that the worst case scenario here is a broken jaw. In which case, we'll probably not see him back until the 1st or 2nd round.

But again, just saying what the worst would be here. I don't think it's anything concussion related. His jaw did move a good bit when it got hit, though I think someone posted a comment saying it was confirmed that he didn't have a broken jaw and it wasn't concussion related.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Iron Mike

I think Sid will be alright. Apart from spitting out teeth, he didn't look like he has anything season ending. There is a good chance he will miss the next few games if not a few weeks. In the end, it shouldn't matter. Sid needs to come back when he is 100% healthy. The playoffs are what ultimately matter the most.

The Paul Martin injury may not be as bad as people think. A few years ago I had the same exact injury. My wrist swelled so bad that it looked like I had a marble in there. It is at least 3-4 weeks minimum. He will have trouble doing everyday things like holding a toothbrush. If they really needed him, I could see him playing in the first round of the playoffs. He would be battling pain, but physically it would be possible. I know every case is different but I was just sharing my views based off my old injury.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Omnomnomnom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
The Penguins organization
really are kind of jerks about updating the media and their fans on injuries, especially Crosby injuries.

They know now the severity (maybe only thing lingering is concussion and seeing if he develops any symptoms).
I just thought it was odd that that was the information leaking out and nothing about the injury itself other than 'a few teeth' and 'oral surgery'.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
leafspensfan

he doesn't have a broken jaw, like the other posters said he didn't look like he was in immense pain when he got up, like you would with a broken jaw.

He's probably just gotten 4 teeth put in and under some pain killers.

All speculation though

Old
03-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I hate Brooks Orpik so much right now. His contribution to this season has been stupid penalties and knocking out the best player in the World, albeit with arguably some bad luck if that puck got deflected but I can't tell.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:29 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Some people react really adversely to anesthesia. I know my mom had surgery a year or so ago and had to stay a day in the hospital because of it. It made her puke everywhere and just generally make her feel like ****

No idea if this is the case with Crosby, but I'm just saying.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:39 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Some people react really adversely to anesthesia. I know my mom had surgery a year or so ago and had to stay a day in the hospital because of it. It made her puke everywhere and just generally make her feel like ****

No idea if this is the case with Crosby, but I'm just saying.
Its true, anesthesia affects me less than most people, you could be right

Old
03-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Anesthesia does **** you up. I had an accident and had to have some teeth removed in 2008. They gave me anesthesia to do the work and I got to go straight home afterwords since I had someone come get me to do the driving but I was dizzy as hell and damn near puked several times over the next few days. They tell you to rest and take antibiotics for about a week or two. That's probably the best case scenario for Sid. His damage may be worse than mine though. We won't know until we finally get some updates.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:07 PM
PJT

Send a message via AIM to PJT
This exact thing happened to me playing hockey about 6 years ago. Slapshot to the chin from a point shot - luckily it hit more chin than mouth. I didn't lose any teeth, but my chin was split wide open like a second mouth and it required 14 stitches. I was able to play again in a week. No concussion or broken jaw.

Of course, that wasn't a Brooks Orpik slapper.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:13 PM
SgtJoseph

Hated seeing that shot to the mouth Crosby took today.......Nobodys fault, just part of the game in my view.......He is a heck of a player, hope he recovers soon.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:43 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
I think someone posted a comment saying it was confirmed that he didn't have a broken jaw and it wasn't concussion related.
Not quite.

"Although the Penguins limited the official update on Crosby to his mouth and teeth, Bylsma did not rule out the possibility he would be subject to testing to determine if he sustained a concussion."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Old
03-30-2013, 09:52 PM
gopens66
Hockey&Literature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I hate Brooks Orpik so much right now. His contribution to this season has been stupid penalties and knocking out the best player in the World, albeit with arguably some bad luck if that puck got deflected but I can't tell.
Thepensblog has a gif at the top of their page. I didn't think it hit anyone from any of the replays until I saw this gif. You can clearly see it hit the shaft of a stick and redirect back to Crosby's face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Its true, anesthesia affects me less than most people, you could be right
I've had four knee surgeries. I came out of 3 of them just fine. When I came to after the fourth one, my mother was sitting there laughing and I was strapped to the bed in the recovery room. Apparently I tried to get up and when the orderly tried to stop me, I tossed him aside. Some more came and I tossed some of them aside until four of them held me down and strapped me to the table. I don't remember any of this.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:57 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post
I've had four knee surgeries. I came out of 3 of them just fine. When I came to after the fourth one, my mother was sitting there laughing and I was strapped to the bed in the recovery room. Apparently I tried to get up and when the orderly tried to stop me, I tossed him aside. Some more came and I tossed some of them aside until four of them held me down and strapped me to the table. I don't remember any of this.
I woke up during surgery for my broken arm once and during my wisdom teeth surgery...****in sucked

Old
03-30-2013, 09:57 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
On the Islanders feed it looked pretty clear that the puck was deflected.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Thepensblog has a gif at the top of their page. I didn't think it hit anyone from any of the replays until I saw this gif. You can clearly see it hit the shaft of a stick and redirect back to Crosby's face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumFortyOne View Post
On the Islanders feed it looked pretty clear that the puck was deflected.
Thanks guys. I really wasn't sure from the replays I had seen.

Here's that Pens Blog gif you mentioned. The puck really does change directions.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I can't really think of any dental diagnosis that would keep him in the hospital overnight.
When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, a couple of them were extra tricky so it involved more digging around than usual (don't know the technical term). Because of the kind of work that needed doing, I was kept overnight in the hospital for observation.

So depending on how serious the dental work was, there's a good chance it's just precautionary.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:09 PM
DoktorZaius

Quote:
When I came to after the fourth one, my mother was sitting there laughing and I was strapped to the bed in the recovery room. Apparently I tried to get up and when the orderly tried to stop me, I tossed him aside. Some more came and I tossed some of them aside until four of them held me down and strapped me to the table. I don't remember any of this.
This doesn't sound like an anesthesia thing...I think you may be the Hulk.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Heisenberg Pgh

If you look at the other angle in slo-mo you can see what appears to be two teeth flying out of his mouth. Not sure if it's actually the teeth but it sure could be.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:22 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

I was knocked out when I had my wisdom teeth out. This is no big deal. I went back to work 2 days later. He might miss Tues-Wed at the most.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:23 PM
HuskerTornado
Playoff Rum for Jobu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg Pgh View Post
If you look at the other angle in slo-mo you can see what appears to be two teeth flying out of his mouth. Not sure if it's actually the teeth but it sure could be.
Looked like it could have been the mouthpiece being flung out too. Hard to tell, though.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:25 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Yea the broken jaw people are a little nutty IMO. It takes quite a bit to break one of those suckers and direct on the teeth usually isn't one of em.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Yea the broken jaw people are a little nutty IMO. It takes quite a bit to break one of those suckers and direct on the teeth usually isn't one of em.
I wouldn't say 'nutty' so much as paranoid. We have been through so much with Crosby and injuries that now everyone just naturally assumes the worst.

However I agree that a broken jaw isn't very likely. It hit him directly in the mouth. I think keeping him overnight was completely precautionary since he's probably on a ton of medication.

Closed Thread