HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms and more (Apr 4. Charges against Nick Cousins are dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 02:48 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
I liked what I saw from him, but yeah, he's done .

Old
03-30-2013, 02:51 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
8/10 correct is pretty solid. I'm pretty surprised they put Jaden Schwartz @ 7 and that they still consider Granlund top 10. The worst pick on the list though for me has to be Chris Kreider @ #11. How overrated can he get?
You're looking at last year's rankings, here is this year's top 10:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-nhl-prospects

Old
03-30-2013, 05:19 PM
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
You're looking at last year's rankings, here is this year's top 10:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-nhl-prospects
No Laughton or Cousins? Wow. I wonder why?

Old
03-30-2013, 06:51 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
No Laughton or Cousins? Wow. I wonder why?
Why are you that surprised? Laughton I could see top 20, but top 10? No way. He doesn't have the offensive upside for that classification.

Nick cousins? He racks up points in juniors as a 19 year old, but plays far from a complete game and isn't strong enough to be in contention for a top 10 prospect ranking. I would have been shocked if Cousins made top 30 let alone top 10. I really don't see what so many around here see in him. I don't think his offensive game translates to the NHL level whatsoever. He might serve as a Patrick Kaleta type player though...

Old
03-30-2013, 06:58 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Why are you that surprised? Laughton I could see top 20, but top 10? No way. He doesn't have the offensive upside for that classification.

Nick cousins? He racks up points in juniors as a 19 year old, but plays far from a complete game and isn't strong enough to be in contention for a top 10 prospect ranking. I would have been shocked if Cousins made top 30 let alone top 10. I really don't see what so many around here see in him. I don't think his offensive game translates to the NHL level whatsoever. He might serve as a Patrick Kaleta type player though...
I don't think he's a top fifty prospect either, but he's certainly better than a Patrick Kaleta type. Cousins has put up three seasons in the same junior league as Kaleta's that are better than Patrick's best.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:47 PM
poneill27

Quote:

I'm not surprised of the top ten but that link is for the top 50. I find it surprising.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Defensively sound forwards are so underrated by the HF Staff who compile these lists that it's borderline disgusting. I'm not a fan of defensive hockey, but I certainly have appreciation for defensively skilled forwards who often face an opposition's top line and have the dubious and unenvious task of keeping the opposition in check. They forgo personal stats at the expense of being the ultimate role player.

Laughton is perhaps the best defensive forward in junior hockey right now, bar none. The job he's done in Oshawa is nothing short of incredible. A point per game player, a demon defensive forward often given the tough assignments of shutting down the opposition's top players, a dynamite player in the face off circle, one of the top penalty killers in the CHL and now cementing himself as a top performer in the post season (his shut down job of Ryan Strome was nothing short of brilliant).

As for Cousins, a Patrick Kaleta type he certainly isn't. His hockey IQ and hands are off the chart. He was a point per game player in his draft year, was over a point per game last year and was a 100 point this year. 291 points in 264 OHL games. He has more skill in his pinky than Kaleta has in his entire body.

I'll admit that Cousins isn't the greatest of skaters in terms of speed and of course, there's also the pending court case. With that being said, Cousins is gritty, not afraid to get his nose dirty and always works in the corners. His shot needs some work but he sees the ice incredibly well and knows where to be on the ice at all times. You can't teach that.

Maybe I'm overvaluing our prospects, but at the same time, I also think people under value them.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Defensively sound forwards are so underrated by the HF Staff who compile these lists that it's borderline disgusting. I'm not a fan of defensive hockey, but I certainly have appreciation for defensively skilled forwards who often face an opposition's top line and have the dubious and unenvious task of keeping the opposition in check. They forgo personal stats at the expense of being the ultimate role player.

Laughton is perhaps the best defensive forward in junior hockey right now, bar none. The job he's done in Oshawa is nothing short of incredible. A point per game player, a demon defensive forward often given the tough assignments of shutting down the opposition's top players, a dynamite player in the face off circle, one of the top penalty killers in the CHL and now cementing himself as a top performer in the post season (his shut down job of Ryan Strome was nothing short of brilliant).

As for Cousins, a Patrick Kaleta type he certainly isn't. His hockey IQ and hands are off the chart. He was a point per game player in his draft year, was over a point per game last year and was a 100 point this year. 291 points in 264 OHL games. He has more skill in his pinky than Kaleta has in his entire body.

I'll admit that Cousins isn't the greatest of skaters in terms of speed and of course, there's also the pending court case. With that being said, Cousins is gritty, not afraid to get his nose dirty and always works in the corners. His shot needs some work but he sees the ice incredibly well and knows where to be on the ice at all times. You can't teach that.

Maybe I'm overvaluing our prospects, but at the same time, I also think people under value them.

I agree with you. How can people bash someone when they have never seen them play? I pull for all the Flyer prospects and no matter what I hope they turn into solid pros for the club.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:43 PM
FLYguy3911

Gostisbehere vs. Gaudreau in 15 minutes.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:45 PM
SolidSnakeUS

What channel? NBC Sports?

Old
03-30-2013, 08:46 PM
FLYguy3911

espnu

Old
03-30-2013, 09:25 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Kyle Flanagan with a goal and 2 assist tonight. Now has 5 points in 4 games. Kid looks like an AHl star at the very least.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Kyle Flanagan with a goal and 2 assist tonight. Now has 5 points in 4 games. Kid looks like an AHl star at the very least.
Derek Mathers also scored his 1st career AHL goal tonight.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:00 PM
RoDu

Quote:
We were saying the same thing about Read in his brief stint in the AHL. How is his skating?

Old
03-30-2013, 10:26 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
We were saying the same thing about Read in his brief stint in the AHL. How is his skating?
I thought I read that Flanagan's skating is very good. He's fast, shifty and he's also very good at going into the corners.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Hockey's Future ranked Stolarz 5th out of drafted goalies in the OHL.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...hl-goaltenders

Old
03-30-2013, 10:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Gostibehere got a goal tonight.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:17 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
From what I've read his acceleration is not as fast as Read. He's also 5'9 but plays bigger. But has serious playmaking skills.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

By most accounts Flanagan is dominating like Read did. One problem will be Flanagans size. His playmaking skills are better than akesons and he actually tries to play a two way game

Old
03-30-2013, 11:37 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Gostisbehere's been outstanding tonight, absolutely controlling the game. Gaudreau's been the flashiest player for sure, but Ghost has been the player of the game IMO. Kid is fearless, and Bucci and Melrose have been raving about him all game.

Greg Coburn's Ghost's D partner and he's been very good too, and he's fast. Wonder if the Flyers give him a look too? Edit: Yes he's Braydon's brother, and I think he was at Flyers rookie camp this summer.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:37 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
From what I've read his acceleration is not as fast as Read. He's also 5'9 but plays bigger. But has serious playmaking skills.
Read's one of the best skaters in the league. Wouldn't really worry too much if he's not up to par with him.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Gostisbehere's been outstanding tonight, absolutely controlling the game. Gaudreau's been the flashiest player for sure, but Ghost has been the player of the game IMO. Kid is fearless, and Bucci and Melrose have been raving about him all game.

Greg Coburn's Ghost's D partner and he's been very good too, and he's fast. Wonder if the Flyers give him a look too?
Wasn't he just at the prospect camp this last summer?

Old
03-30-2013, 11:39 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Greg Coburn's Ghost's D partner and he's been very good too, and he's fast. Wonder if the Flyers give him a look too?
Doubt it. He'll be 25 and not much upside. Maybe an AHL deal. He got the short end of the stick in the family gene pool.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:40 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Wasn't he just at the prospect camp this last summer?
Yup. It was the family reunion.

Hatcher's kid, Stevens' kid, JVR's brother, and Coburn's brother.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:55 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Doubt it. He'll be 25 and not much upside. Maybe an AHL deal. He got the short end of the stick in the family gene pool.
Ah, didn't realize he was that old. But yeah I figured maybe an AHL shot. He looked good.

Closed Thread