HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Gaborik

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Joe11

vCash: 500
He played with a little passion tonight, but that proves the criticism that he has mailed it in for most games this season.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Oh yeah, he had one scoring chance tonight! It's been so long that he has had a chance to score I almost forgot!! When you get paid like him you should have grade A chances all night! The guy sucks and his career is over!!
Well now this is just ridiculous. He got shutout just like the rest of the team. I know he has to play better. He really does but he doesn't suck and his career certainly isn't over.

03-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Well now this is just ridiculous. He got shutout just like the rest of the team. I know he has to play better. He really does but he doesn't suck and his career certainly isn't over.
Will have this saved after we trade him and he puts up 40 again smh

Old
03-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Stepanformayor*

His career is over!! I have watched him play for 10 years and his career is over! He will never put up forty again! He won't have another 25 goal season! He is making 7.5 million a year and has 18 points and some of you here are defending him! It is insane! Ship him out of here!!

Old
03-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I know Gaborik has to play better. I know it, everyone here knows it and I'm sure he knows it himself. I love Marian and I STILL criticize him constantly because I know he is capable of so much more.

I just get sick of some of the ridiculous hatred and disrespect the man gets from some Rangers fans. We've had 3 seasons where someone has broken 40 goals in the last 13 years. Three! Jagr in 05/06 and Gaborik has the other two.

Again, I'm not saying he is free from scrutiny. Far from it. But this guy takes some heinously unnecessary hatred that has no place for a team that always seems to be bereft of offense.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
I know Gaborik has to play better. I know it, everyone here knows it and I'm sure he knows it himself. I love Marian and I STILL criticize him constantly because I know he is capable of so much more.

I just get sick of some of the ridiculous hatred and disrespect the man gets from some Rangers fans. We've had 3 seasons where someone has broken 40 goals in the last 13 years. Three! Jagr in 05/06 and Gaborik has the other two.

Again, I'm not saying he is free from scrutiny. Far from it. But this guy takes some heinously unnecessary hatred that has no place for a team that always seems to be bereft of offense.

He has by no means made me happy this season, however, him being our entire offense since hes been here and scoring 40 twice (providing some of the best offensive moments ive seen a Ranger perform) puts him at a high bias for me, admittingly.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Riverdale

Quote:

Thank you.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:54 AM
Pizza

Quote:

Bob, I think it would be more than fair to bring up his scoring proficiency from the past if he were just having a bad season. It's not bad. Or even terrible. It's unforgivable for a player like Gabby to just quit. He's a quitter and that's what has people truly incensed.

Richards too. A couple of quitters in a locker room is bad enough, but players of this caliber and reputation mailing it in would kill and demoralize any team. I'm surprised we're still over 500 or any where close to playoff spot.

In no way do I let Torts off easy. As a coach you have to find a way to stay connected to your team. He has failed miserably in that regard. The team looks unmotivated and unprepared most nights. This team has lost itself and Torts will pay the price as he should.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:58 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Bob, I think it would be more than fair to bring up his scoring proficiency from the past if he were just having a bad season. It's not bad. Or even terrible. It's unforgivable for a player like Gabby to just quit. He's a quitter and that's what has people truly incensed.

Richards too. A couple of quitters in a locker room is bad enough, but players of this caliber and reputation mailing it in would kill and demoralize any team. I'm surprised we're still over 500 or any where close to playoff spot.

In no way do I let Torts off easy. As a coach you have to find a way to stay connected to your team. He has failed miserably in that regard. The team looks unmotivated and unprepared most nights. This team has lost itself and Torts will pay the price as he should.
But I don't think he's a quitter. I just think he can be a bit of a headcase. Gabby can come off as really unsure of himself at times in my opinion. I think its become more exaggerated with his shoulder as he looks more tentative out there than I have ever seen him before.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:00 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I can't say I dislike Gaborik. I think he's an amazingly talented goalscorer, but I'm just not a fan of having a player of his ilk on the team in general. I have nothing against him as an individual player, but smallish, fragile, one-dimensional scorers are not as great as their numbers might lead you to believe.

Whether it is age, health, or lack of passion, he just doesn't break out his amazing speed and talent nearly as often as he used to. As a result, he's really dependent on the offensive creativity of the players on the ice with him.

Also, he's a player that is very easy for other teams to take out of the picture in the playoffs.

I know he has generally been very productive as a Ranger, not to mention virtually his entire career, but for the salary he makes, you can get a better player that produces nearly as much, if not more, without some of the negative qualities Gaborik inherently brings.

I thought it was a mistake to sign him. Not because he wouldn't produce, but because he's a player that can hold you back if he isn't fulfilling his main duty, and unfortunately, that's likelier to happen to him than to other players.

Still say we should have waited and signed Kovalchuk.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:03 AM
zuckera1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Bottom line:

Gaborik - GPG - .441, PPG - .882

Nash - GPG - .428, PPG - .818

Its not a massive difference, but enough to determine IMO who is better.
Nash brings soo much more to the table as a hockey player than Gaborik. Gabby may be the most one-dimensional goal scorer we've ever seen. Stats aren't everything. In the games when Nash doesn't get on the stat sheet, he's still a presence out there that benefits the team. Gabby floats. If you'd take Gaborik over Nash, or say he's better....something is wrong with you.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:07 AM
zuckera1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I can't say I dislike Gaborik. I think he's an amazingly talented goalscorer, but I'm just not a fan of having a player of his ilk on the team in general. I have nothing against him as an individual player, but smallish, fragile, one-dimensional scorers are not as great as their numbers might lead you to believe.

Whether it is age, health, or lack of passion, he just doesn't break out his amazing speed and talent nearly as often as he used to. As a result, he's really dependent on the offensive creativity of the players on the ice with him.

Also, he's a player that is very easy for other teams to take out of the picture in the playoffs.

I know he has generally been very productive as a Ranger, not to mention virtually his entire career, but for the salary he makes, you can get a better player that produces nearly as much, if not more, without some of the negative qualities Gaborik inherently brings.

I thought it was a mistake to sign him. Not because he wouldn't produce, but because he's a player that can hold you back if he isn't fulfilling his main duty, and unfortunately, that's likelier to happen to him than to other players.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:11 AM
Kershaw

Quote:

As a Gaborik defender, I have to agree with this post entirely. I don't think any winger in the league, aside from MSL and Kovalchuk are worth 7.5mil cap hit he's making. Unfortunately for the Rangers, they have been in love with building around wingers on the offense, which is hardly ever sustainable for a team with cup aspirations.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:12 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:

Posts like this, I have no quarrels with. I even find myself agreeing with parts.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:12 AM
Pizza

Quote:
But I don't think he's a quitter. I just think he can be a bit of a headcase. Gabby can come off as really unsure of himself at times in my opinion. I think its become more exaggerated with his shoulder as he looks more tentative out there than I have ever seen him before.
Sincerely, no disrespect but your letting your love for a player cloud your vision severely. But you are dead right in the head case category. He and Richards are two peas in a pod in that regard. And if the Rangers ever sign another one I think I'll drive into town myself and hang Sather out his office window.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:14 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Sincerely, no disrespect but your letting your love for a player cloud your vision severely. But you are dead right in the head case category. He and Richards are two peas in a pod in that regard. And if the Rangers ever sign another one I think I'll drive into town myself and hang Sather out his office window.
Cloud my vision? I think I've criticized Gaborik rather noticeably throughout his two threads. I just don't find him to be a quitter. I don't even think Richards is a quitter. I think he tries to do too much actually.

Old
03-31-2013, 04:14 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

He had 11 points in 20 games with a torn rotator cuff last year in the playoffs.

And IMO, on paper he's the perfect player to have on the 2nd line behind a Rick Nash.

Additionally, I couldn't be happier with how it all worked out. I'll take Nash and his attitude with a bit-lesser stats over Kovalchuk 10 times out of 10. Even if we end up giving Gaborik away for peanuts tomorrow, his career as a Ranger had us closest to the finals since '97, and we'll still have Nash to build around up front.

I also don't think he's holding us back. You can't lay blame on Gaborik for the rest of the team struggling. And if you wanted to start blaming one player for other players funks, how about Richards' terrible start really being what lead to Gaborik's struggles to begin with?

Old
03-31-2013, 04:17 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't want to sift through all the posts, but I'll say this.

You don't trade a 40-goal scorer with nothing physically ailing him at a time like this when his value is the lowest it's been since you signed him.

If Sather can work his magic and somehow we end up winning the trade, so be it. I just doubt the value is there, especially with so many other names on the move this year.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:59 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

It makes it worse for Gaborik that he is capable of scoring 40 goals and puts up a season like this. I don't care if he's done it before and I don't care if he does it again; here or anywhere else.

Even in his good seasons I know he won't pay the price to score game breaking goals. If the game doesn't come to him in the first few shifts of the game he shuts it down.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:14 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't want to sift through all the posts, but I'll say this.

You don't trade a 40-goal scorer with nothing physically ailing him at a time like this when his value is the lowest it's been since you signed him.

If Sather can work his magic and somehow we end up winning the trade, so be it. I just doubt the value is there, especially with so many other names on the move this year.
What names? Iginla?

It's a sellers market and the fact that as far as we know nothing is ailing him physically is a bonus. We can sell it as him needing a change of scenery. I certainly don't think his career is over, but, he and Torts are definitely broken up. I'd rather we get rid of Torts and let Gabby play for a new coach but it's not happening.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:31 PM
JohnC
Dubnyk=Lundqvist

It's be such a shame if we get rid if him this year. Wasn't the whole point of getting Nash was to compliment Gabby's goal scoring?

Old
03-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
It's be such a shame if we get rid if him this year. Wasn't the whole point of getting Nash was to compliment Gabby's goal scoring?

I think it was to get a player that isnt as good offensively but plays the **** system better.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
I think it was to get a player that isnt as good offensively but plays the **** system better.
it was to put with Gaborik and Richards and make a run at the cup, and now people want to break up that plan because of 33 awful games in a shortened season with no camp. Rangers would be absolute fools to move Gaborik unless its for a good deal.

You know why? because he's a UFA after next year, that means he's going to be looking to get PAID. IE.. players in contract years tend to go all out looking for that payday.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:06 PM
dethomas07

well with how thin FA will be this summer.. if hes moved it will be this summer before draft.. only hot name out there is Clarkson.. No perry, no Getzs, Iginla is older and will limit teams all together.. so i expect some trades this summer and Gabs will be the perfect fit for a team looking for a pure scorer.. Value will be much higher then, then now..

otherwise id rather keep him, hes still very talented and part of the solution not the problem.. idk who would be currently available right now without giving up a ton of Money or a ton of young talent to make a trade.. better off keeping him..

Old
03-31-2013, 02:36 PM
JohnC
Dubnyk=Lundqvist

Quote:
Well this just doesn't seem true at all

Closed Thread