HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 4 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Lions999

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
chara
Overrated

Old
03-30-2013, 11:39 PM
ekof232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Boston had no star power. Same with Philly.

Depth>>>>>>>Star power
Your comment about comparables is a little bit off the point I was trying to make. Their circumstances were different and both those teams had a tad more quality depth and/or more star power (Philly comes to mind with Richards and Carter) at forward then than we do now, although it pains me to say that as an ardent supporter of the habs and lifetime Bruins-hater.

Ultimately though, you're right, depth is indeed better to have than star power alone.

However, in prevision of a possible cup run for us this year, I was merely thinking (writing) out loud that I would have liked for us to have more of said "star power" (IE a more consistently dangerous offensive zone presence amongst our forward corps).

Old
03-30-2013, 11:45 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Why on Earth would we trade for a 4th line player who in actuality is a 50 point player who is a playoff warrior to play him 8 minutes a game. He's not going to waive to come to MTL to play anything but top 6 minutes and with Bourque gone for a while it fits.

Also, this team doens't have a top line it has 3 scoring lines.
Why on earth is everyone talking about Clowe, when in fact, we need a big, experienced crease clearing D man? That is what Bergy will try to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekof232 View Post
It lacks some star power but I agree.

We must also keep in mind that the crux of any cup run is always the defense and how the system works come playoff time. Hopefully we've also got that covered (at least I hope).
See above, we need a Dman.

Quote:
chara
Subban

Old
03-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
chara
He is gonna be done in next 3 yrs....he will be 39/40yrs old

Old
03-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
He is gonna be done in next 3 yrs....he will be 39....,
Bruins without Chara would a lot different. Its like the Flyers without Pronger.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:50 PM
ekof232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
He is gonna be done in next 3 yrs....he will be 39....,
"Never sell the bear's hide before one has killed the beast"

Chara is just such a conditionning and health freak (almost unequaled across the entire league) that I wouldn't be surprised if he retired after 40.

I do not wish him harm under any circumstance, but I will be a happy man when he finally decides to hang his skates for good.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Is there a way to have Clowe play where Gionta is? He is a damn turnover machine this year and i'm tired of seeing it.
Please explain how Gionta is a turnover machine... Here, to help you: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

Old
03-31-2013, 12:08 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:

Chara is just such a conditionning and health freak (almost unequaled across the entire league) that I wouldn't be surprised if he retired after 40.

I do not wish him harm under any circumstance, but I will be a happy man when he finally decides to hang his skates for good.
Ofcourse...neither do I........

Old
03-31-2013, 12:23 AM
SB164

Probably just a fake insider but nonetheless:

Creasy ‏@The_Creasy 28m

#Sharks Ryane Clowe has been asked to waive his NTC. #Habs #Bruins #Rangers #Canucks all interested.

Jimmy Zhang ‏@JimmyCHfanZ 22m
@The_Creasy is Clowe willing to waive for Habs?

Creasy ‏@The_Creasy 13m
@JimmyCHfanZ Most certainly. Habs were his childhood team.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:30 AM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Probably just a fake insider but nonetheless:

Creasy ‏@The_Creasy 28m

#Sharks Ryane Clowe has been asked to waive his NTC. #Habs #Bruins #Rangers #Canucks all interested.

Jimmy Zhang ‏@JimmyCHfanZ 22m
@The_Creasy is Clowe willing to waive for Habs?

Creasy ‏@The_Creasy 13m
@JimmyCHfanZ Most certainly. Habs were his childhood team.
I hope San Jose agrees to a deal with Boston...and it gets reported by A. Ward as a done deal.....and then Gorges texts Clowe to come to Montreal and changes his mind.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:32 AM
Physical HABuse

Quote:

Hopefully he stays healthy for the Bruins and continues to take stupid penalties in the 3rd period or remains on the ice to tip pucks into his own net with seconds left. We need him!

Old
03-31-2013, 12:58 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

I would love Clowe.

The highest I would be ready to bid for him is a 2nd rounder and Morgan Ellis. It's still a very decent package to get for a guy that you won't re-sign and who's not having his best year.

Plus, rumour has it Clowe wouldn't mind a sign and trade. If that's the case, the Habs would be a choice destination for him.

I would personally put him on a line with Plekanec and fellow newfie Michael Ryder. I think they would fit well together.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:15 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
I would love Clowe.

The highest I would be ready to bid for him is a 2nd rounder and Morgan Ellis. It's still a very decent package to get for a guy that you won't re-sign and who's not having his best year.

Plus, rumour has it Clowe wouldn't mind a sign and trade. If that's the case, the Habs would be a choice destination for him.

I would personally put him on a line with Plekanec and fellow newfie Michael Ryder. I think they would fit well together.
Gionta has 10 goals this season, that's 10 more than Clowe. Yes he's underachieving this season but to win the cup we need a guy like him to fill in for Travis Moen. And that's what I think MB is offering.

Travis Moen and our 2nd pick not the one we got from the flames, maybe even a 3rd who knows.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:19 AM
ericd

I would like to acquire Patrick Marleau, Shawn Matthias or Alex Tanguay

Old
03-31-2013, 01:20 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical HABuse View Post
I hope San Jose agrees to a deal with Boston...and it gets reported by A. Ward as a done deal.....and then Gorges texts Clowe to come to Montreal and changes his mind.

And if Clowe went on to lead us to a Cup... (for everything else, there's MasterCard)

Old
03-31-2013, 01:21 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
I would like to acquire Patrick Marleau or Alex Tanguay
yes

this is near impossible though, right?

Old
03-31-2013, 01:24 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Gionta has 10 goals this season, that's 10 more than Clowe. Yes he's underachieving this season but to win the cup we need a guy like him to fill in for Travis Moen. And that's what I think MB is offering.

Travis Moen and our 2nd pick not the one we got from the flames, maybe even a 3rd who knows.
Who cares how many goals Gionta has? All of Ryder's goals were either self-prepared or set-up by Pleks. Same with Pleks. Clowe would add an interesting dimension on that line. In fact, Gionta, for all the goals he had, killed a lot of plays with his ridiculous 30 feet slappers on the goalie's chest. Losing board battle after board battle.

No kidding. I don't think Gionta should be traded this season, but I definitely don't think he's a huge part of that line neither. And I don't think he would play with scrubs neither if we put him with Chucky and Eller.

For a guy like Clowe, I would offer a 2nd and Morgan Ellis.

We have a logjam on defense coming in Hamilton next season, and Dietz is essentially a better version of Ellis, who had a very, very disappointing first season in Hamilton this year. He's worlds behind Beaulieu and Tinordi.

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Dietz, Pateryn, Thrower in the system
Bennett and Nygren who are interesting darkhorses.
Subban who's in the NHL and still under 25.
Plus all the other d-men we might draft this year with our multiple picks.

That's plenty of depth, and more than enough to sacrifice one of them.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:33 AM
habtastic

Wasn't there an evaluation that Ellis might be better than Tinordi and Beaulieu.

I'm not a fan of giving him up.

Get Bourque back and let's go with what we've got - it ain't too shabby even if Clowe adds an extra dimension. Rene did the same and could score too.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:35 AM
PATCHESx67

maybe san jose would be interested in bringing Moen back to their team,dont think Travis ends the season with us

Old
03-31-2013, 01:48 AM
Carey Cost*

all we need is a goon that we can play if we face Toronto, Ottawa or Boston. Dats it.

Every one else is playing just fine.

And i like Moen, Gros Bonome was very good in the 2010 series

Old
03-31-2013, 01:56 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Wasn't there an evaluation that Ellis might be better than Tinordi and Beaulieu.

I'm not a fan of giving him up.

Get Bourque back and let's go with what we've got - it ain't too shabby even if Clowe adds an extra dimension. Rene did the same and could score too.
Bourque has trouble skating without having an headache right now. He's not coming back anytime soon.

Ellis' progression has been virtually non-existant this year, and anyway, we're going to find some room on our back-end for next season anyway. There's a logjam on D, and we can't afford playing capable d-men low minutes in the AHL. They need ice time to improve, and if we have to sacrifice a piece, it has to be Ellis.

As for the reports of Ellis being better than both of those guys, they've got to come from some hopeful fans. It's not gonna happen.

You have Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, Ellis, Dietz and Bennett next season in the A. That's 6 very young d-men. You need some vet presence in there. And what are you going to do? Play Dietz 14 minutes per game against weak opposition? Play Bennett in the ECHL?

We need roster spots, and we're going to have an let go one of these guys anyway. Might as well give one away and maximize his value while we have some concrete needs.

If getting Clowe can prevent Boston from getting him, it's even better.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:06 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
I would like to acquire Patrick Marleau, Shawn Matthias or Alex Tanguay
Ewe, gross. Why would you want the Habs softness to triple by acquiring one player?

Old
03-31-2013, 02:16 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Who cares how many goals Gionta has? All of Ryder's goals were either self-prepared or set-up by Pleks. Same with Pleks. Clowe would add an interesting dimension on that line. In fact, Gionta, for all the goals he had, killed a lot of plays with his ridiculous 30 feet slappers on the goalie's chest. Losing board battle after board battle.

No kidding. I don't think Gionta should be traded this season, but I definitely don't think he's a huge part of that line neither. And I don't think he would play with scrubs neither if we put him with Chucky and Eller.

For a guy like Clowe, I would offer a 2nd and Morgan Ellis.

We have a logjam on defense coming in Hamilton next season, and Dietz is essentially a better version of Ellis, who had a very, very disappointing first season in Hamilton this year. He's worlds behind Beaulieu and Tinordi.

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Dietz, Pateryn, Thrower in the system
Bennett and Nygren who are interesting darkhorses.
Subban who's in the NHL and still under 25.
Plus all the other d-men we might draft this year with our multiple picks.

That's plenty of depth, and more than enough to sacrifice one of them.
Well obviously if you're putting clowe with Ryder and Plek it means you're either relegating Gionta to the third line or trading him. In 28 games Clowe has no goals and 11 assists, Gionta may be struggling to get some high quality plays and he struggles in some areas but with 19 pts in 34 games he does bring in some consistency. Clowe has a TOI average of more than 18mins per game, unless playing for Montreal with Halpern and Armstrong or Moen really changes things for him I don't think we should expect him to do much better than to give us a very good 4th line that can score a goal 1 game out of 4, which is something we need to make a good run in the PO.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:19 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Ewe, gross. Why would you want the Habs softness to triple by acquiring one player?
Well I would trade Gionta and a 3rd rnd pick for him.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:25 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Well obviously if you're putting clowe with Ryder and Plek it means you're either relegating Gionta to the third line or trading him. In 28 games Clowe has no goals and 11 assists, Gionta may be struggling to get some high quality plays and he struggles in some areas but with 19 pts in 34 games he does bring in some consistency. Clowe has a TOI average of more than 18mins per game, unless playing for Montreal with Halpern and Armstrong or Moen really changes things for him I don't think we should expect him to do much better than to give us a very good 4th line that can score a goal 1 game out of 4, which is something we need to make a good run in the PO.
What is Gionta bringing to that team when he's not scoring, for the record?
What is Clowe bringing to his when he's not?

Gionta not being with Pleks and Ryder would not affect his production. Just like Ryder and Plekanec wouldn't suffer from having Clowe on their line. In fact, with Ryder's lethal wrister, it could be a very interesting combination. Even if the goalie makes the save, Clowe would be there to jump on those rebounds.

I know this guy has not been having a great season, but I recently read an article from Eric Engels who spoke to quite a couple of scouts. All of them said they believed it was just a bump on the road for Clowe, and that they were sure he would rebound eventually.

Closed Thread