HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Iginla Trade: Who's to blame?

View Poll Results: Iginla Trade: Who's to blame?
Jarome Iginla 68 36.36%
Jay Feaster 46 24.60%
Peter Chiarelli 13 6.95%
All of the above 8 4.28%
Some of the above (please explain) 11 5.88%
No one / some one else 41 21.93%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-29-2013, 10:46 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

vCash: 500
I voted all. If Iginla really cared about Calgary he should not have forced them to trade to only one team. And the return Feaster got is just horrid. 2 scrubs and a low first? 1 elite + lower picks > 2 scrubs + very low 1st round pick

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:47 PM
westernhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by WornWithPride View Post
Simple: Feaster should have asked iginla for the list in paper, stating he'd wave his no trade clause to any of the above. What's his face (CGY president) even said it, to start over, he'd ask for this list in writing. Besides, I don't understand why it got to be Iginla's descision. I mean, how did he know Pitts was even in the running? Feaster I guess told him, cause i don't think other gms can talk to players without permission... I would have just told Iginla that the deal could not be made with Pits, they were not an option.
one would have to think that every team on the "list" was still in the running if all they had to do was offer what Pittsburgh offered, L.A. would have offered their 11th and 12th best prospects and a pick too if it was asked of them at that point

the whole thing is a joke, Iginla is at fault here and put a lot of people through a lot of wasted time and effort over this thing

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:57 AM
TheStroker

I blame the fans

TheStroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:29 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
I think it's a combination of Iggy and feaster. It seems clear that in the end, Iggy either chose pittsburgh over boston or decided pittsburgh was the only option. We may never know the true details, but from where i'm standing, Iggy's actions are mighty similar to "Dany Heatley to Edmonton". Beyond that, Feaster's failure to communicate to Chia that either Boston never really had a shot, pittsburgh was still in it and it was not done, or that iggy had changed his mind and boston was now off the list is a huge concern.

Last edited by danishh: 03-30-2013 at 01:38 AM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:30 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Who's to blame for the Iginla trade debacle?

Peter Chiarelli Press Conference:

http://t.co/u375swFO07

Bob McCown with Flames President & CEO Ken King:

http://bcove.me/0q1ablbe

Interview with Calgary GM Jay Feaster:

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/894186/clip/0

Bob McCown on Jarome Iginla:

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/P...03-28-4-pm.mp3

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/P...03-28-5-pm.mp3

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/P...03-28-6-pm.mp3

http://feeds.feedburner.com/fan590primetimesports

The first Bob McCowan podcast is a nice summary of what happened.
Interesting you didn't put "The Media" as a poll options..this thread seems like its about a personal grudge as opposed to finding who is actually to "blame".

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:31 AM
Penosity

Why give a list of teams if you won't live up to it?

Iginla is to blame.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:43 AM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Yeah not really understanding where the whole "Jarome Iginla had a NMC he can go where he wants!" are coming from. From a completely neutral position I agree with the Bruin poster who said that as soon as Iginla listed four teams he would go to that he was exercising his rights as a player with a NMC.

To allow the GM of a team you supposedly care about to spend days setting up a trade with one of those teams, only to then back out and say "nope I am only going to Pittsburgh", is completely classless. Yes Jarome had the right to pick where he wanted to go, but he did that, and then refused to go to one of the teams he had chosen.

In the end I blame Feaster, who is a lawyer, for not getting Jarome's consent to make a deal in writing. God help anyone who ever paid Feaster to represent them legally. I could see the guy getting you life in prison for stealing a candy bar. What kind of legal thinker doesn't get deals in writing and forgets to fact check before attempting an offer sheet?

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:56 AM
Reinhart

After listening to everything, the series of events that transpired and resulting in the most logical conclusion (at least to me) is the following:

1) Feaster asked Jarome if he would consider a trade.
2) Jarome said yes
3) Feaster asked for a list of teams
4) Jarome gave him a list of 4 team he would be willing to go to
5) Feaster contacted those teams, and received 3 offers for Jarome
6) Feaster than presented Jarome's agent with the 3 interested teams, and Jarome selected his preference

The media blew this all out of proportion. Especially convincing to me was Chiarelli's press conference - said "This thing happens more than people know", and that the "trade was not finalized" and also "silence leads you to think that it isn't happening, especially given a player with a NMC".

It wasn't Iginla 'nixing a trade' with Boston. It is Iginla being offered his MOST PREFERRED destination, and he took it. He had a choice out of 3 teams that reciprocated interest in him.

I at first thought there was some wrong doing on Feaster's part - the 'not returning phone calls' bit - but Chiarelli himself said this was 'normal' and that it 'happens'. Chiarelli was frustrated with not getting Jarome after thinking he did get him, and his package was SLIGHTLY better (and arguable, but definitely not 'significantly better' than the Pens' offer).

Calgary favored Boston's offer. However, it is clear that the Flames decided to ship out their long-standing captain, and a guy who's jersey will definitely be hanging from the rafters at some point, to his most preferred destination who gave him the best chance to win.

I don't think there was any 'wrong doing' on anyone's part, except from the media who are trying to spin this into some horrible 'Boston was screwed' angle.

Sure, it sucks that Boston scratched a couple of players. That is very rare - but the deal was not finalized, and Chiarelli himself knew that things started looking doubtful.

I know Boston fans are very emotional after thinking they got Jarome (and especially at a pittance!), but listen through the material posted again. That is what I got - and I am FAR from happy from the return, and admit that the Boston offer was a touch better (at least a higher upside prospect that had 1st line potential) - but I have no reservations about Jarome's decision to join Pittsburgh.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:02 AM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Yeah not really understanding where the whole "Jarome Iginla had a NMC he can go where he wants!" are coming from. From a completely neutral position I agree with the Bruin poster who said that as soon as Iginla listed four teams he would go to that he was exercising his rights as a player with a NMC.

To allow the GM of a team you supposedly care about to spend days setting up a trade with one of those teams, only to then back out and say "nope I am only going to Pittsburgh", is completely classless. Yes Jarome had the right to pick where he wanted to go, but he did that, and then refused to go to one of the teams he had chosen.

In the end I blame Feaster, who is a lawyer, for not getting Jarome's consent to make a deal in writing. God help anyone who ever paid Feaster to represent them legally. I could see the guy getting you life in prison for stealing a candy bar. What kind of legal thinker doesn't get deals in writing and forgets to fact check before attempting an offer sheet?
This is exactly what the issue is - he didn't 'nix' the trade, or state he would not go to Boston. He was given a choice between the 3 teams that made offers on him, and chose the Pens. He didn't 'decline' to go to Boston.

I really believe that Feaster could have easily come out and said: "The trade is for Boston Jarome" and Jarome would have happily joined the Bruins. However, with the respect towards Jarome and what he has done for the franchise, and also the fact that the Flames fully intend on having his jersey hang from the rafters one day, they gave Jarome that choice.

It is something they will NOT do with Bouwmeester or any other player with a NTC - but it is something they will also do for Kipper (especially since Kipper just had a baby, and was born premature and still in the hospital, even though Kipper does not have a NTC/NMC). No other NTC/NMC - partial or otherwise - will get that respect from the Flames.

This was a very unique trade by the Flames, and the media is spinning this out of control in my opinion.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:09 AM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Has anyone actually come out to confirm that he was presented three offers and asked to select one out of them? From everything that has been said by Feaster/King it seems like Iginla simply changed his mind once the Boston trade was made.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrobruin View Post
He did give a list , no one is disputing that. But it included 4 teams. Then he went back on his word,which he can because his no trade clause but it was not what he said earlier when he allowed Feaster discuss trade with 3 other teams.

What was the point of doing that? if he only wanted to go to Pittsburgh.
CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION?

I can tell you its because he is not a man of his word.
The answer is that Iginla has no honour.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Has anyone actually come out to confirm that he was presented three offers and asked to select one out of them? From everything that has been said by Feaster/King it seems like Iginla simply changed his mind once the Boston trade was made.
No in fact the exact opposite has been confirmed. Feaster told Chiarelli that the trade was done and they agreed to scratch their players.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:17 AM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Interesting you didn't put "The Media" as a poll options..this thread seems like its about a personal grudge as opposed to finding who is actually to "blame".
Pretty much. Personally, I think it has to do with both GMs. No way does Iginla's actons have this type of ramification if both sides had communicated better.

Quote:
The answer is that Iginla has no honour.
Who/what did he have to honor, the Bruins? It was within his means to decide where he wanted to go. He chose the Pens. Live with it.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

Why can't people just get over it... Iggy is a Penguin now. Similar to the Feaster ROR waiver mistake. Could have been is not the same as it actually happening. The Bruins trade could have been but it wasn't so just move on.

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

Quote:
No in fact the exact opposite has been confirmed. Feaster told Chiarelli that the trade was done and they agreed to scratch their players.
And does that make the trade OFFICIAL?

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:42 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Calgary ownership. They appear to have been pushing those idiotic short term moves to prop up a lame duck team. By the time they come to their senses and decide to throw in the towel; Iginla is 35yo and 82nd in scoring... a depreciating asset who wasn't able to kick start a rebuild the way he could have 2 or 3 years ago.

The future looks bleak.
Agreed, this team has been mismanaged for an insanely long time, in a situation like that you just have to blame the ownership. This endless mismanagement is the reason Iginla eventually wanted out, and the reason they didn't get much for him either. Sure, if Iggy had been willing to go to Boston they could have got Koko instead of those NCAA throw ins, but no matter what the return would have been pretty poor, because they waited until he was a 35 year old rental to deal him, instead of making a move when he had serious value.

The Flames traded Phaneuf for basically nothing, Iginla for basically nothing, and will soon lose Kipper for nothing (to retirement). Seriously, for their 3 huge stars, all they're getting back is Stajan, a 25th-30th overall pick, and some fluff? For a team that has needed to rebuild for nearly a decade, losing the few assets you have for essentially no return is unforgivable. This rebuild should have happened about 5 years ago, if it did Calgary would already be sitting on a nice young core like Edmonton, but instead they completely wasted the last 5 years, and it'll probably be another 5+ years before they're remotely relevant again.

Last edited by ponder: 03-30-2013 at 10:49 AM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Jonjmc

The answer is the fans. Specifically those acting like a spurned 16 year old girl that didn't get asked to prom.

Jonjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:04 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Calgary, as an organization, is to blame. They waited too long to move Iginla, and they paid the consequences. Even if the Boston deal happened, it would still be nothing compared to what they could have had a few years earlier. They killed themselves.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Pretty much. Personally, I think it has to do with both GMs. No way does Iginla's actons have this type of ramification if both sides had communicated better.

Who/what did he have to honor, the Bruins? It was within his means to decide where he wanted to go. He chose the Pens. Live with it.
He didn't honour his list of 4 Teams that he agreed to be traded to.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:40 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Who's to blame? For the media mess? Chiarelli, for letting it get out there before he had solid evidence Iginla was indeed a Bruin. That answer comes from a call from either Iginla or his agent, the people in control of his destination. Anyone who thinks Chiarelli doesn't no the procedure for UFA's with NMC's knows where his answer lies or he's incompetent to himself.

Jarome Iginla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penosity View Post
Why give a list of teams if you won't live up to it?

Iginla is to blame.
Everyone has to provide a list with NMC's, a list is not one team. Last, had there been offers from all 4 teams who wins? Somewhere a choice has to be made, and it wasn't feaster's choice to make.

If anything, Feaster was probably trying to talk him into, Boston. I doubt Jaromes answer was that drawn out. It seems like he was pretty sure/decisive with his answer. He was quite giddy.

So in the end, the media circus and the Bruins fans hopes crushed fall on Chiarelli jumping the gun without concrete confirmation from the guy in control that Chiarelli should know is in charge, Iginla himself.

Dance around it all you want, Chiarelli is at fault for that part or he shouldn't be employed at that position. It's like when the Flyers didn't understand Prongers 35+ rule and now they're paying for it.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote