HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton's 1st + for d-man

Old
03-31-2013, 07:43 AM
PSGJ

vCash: 500
Edmonton's 1st + for d-man

I wouldn't say time is running out or anything but I will say that Edmonton's best chance of winning the Cup is 2014-15. J-Schultz and Yakupov will still be on their entry level deals and Hall and the Nuge will be in their primes. Remember, forwards actually peak pretty early. There really isn't enough time to develop a d-man through the draft by then.

Edmonton's defense is pretty terrible and it really is time to start getting a bit competitive. I think they need a playoff-run next season to get some experience.

So, who should they go after? I'm thinking someone from the cap-crunched Rangers. Rangers have plenty of good d-men so I think there is a deal to be had there somehow.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 07:51 AM
Flyerfan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
I wouldn't say time is running out or anything but I will say that Edmonton's best chance of winning the Cup is 2014-15. J-Schultz and Yakupov will still be on their entry level deals and Hall and the Nuge will be in their primes. Remember, forwards actually peak pretty early. There really isn't enough time to develop a d-man through the draft by then.

Edmonton's defense is pretty terrible and it really is time to start getting a bit competitive. I think they need a playoff-run next season to get some experience.

So, who should they go after? I'm thinking someone from the cap-crunched Rangers. Rangers have plenty of good d-men so I think there is a deal to be had there somehow.
You can have Coburn from Philly.

Flyerfan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 07:51 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:

NYR arent really in cap trouble. I can also imagine then getting rid of Gabby and Richards before letting go of any young quality D man.

McDonagh?
Rangers love him and he isnt going anywhere.

Del Zotto?
Just signed a new deal. Very team friendly.

Girardi?
Nope.

I guess you could get a guy like STralman and Hamrlik and ofcourse Gilroy.

But why?

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Domino11

I can send u Markov if your pick is a top 10

With Markov u really have a chance to win next year ... Tremendous first pass , killer on PP , good defensively . With a guy like Markov u will be able to use more your speed and your upfront skills ! U can ask all the forward in mtl they will all tell u that when Markov is on the ice there job is easier and if u look at game carefully 90% when he's on the ice he create a scoring chance ! Ok he's older but u don't get a Markov everyday ! He prouve he could stay healthy and he still got 3-4 years left so plenty of time for the oilers to win cup... Markov is the reason why subban got PPG .

Domino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:09 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino11 View Post
I can send u Markov if your pick is a top 10

With Markov u really have a chance to win next year ... Tremendous first pass , killer on PP , good defensively . With a guy like Markov u will be able to use more your speed and your upfront skills ! U can ask all the forward in mtl they will all tell u that when Markov is on the ice there job is easier and if u look at game carefully 90% when he's on the ice he create a scoring chance ! Ok he's older but u don't get a Markov everyday ! He prouve he could stay healthy and he still got 3-4 years left so plenty of time for the oilers to win cup... Markov is the reason why subban got PPG .
No ****ing way are the Habs trading Markov! He's developing Emelin into a top 4 dman and helping Subban attain Norris consideration. From a player development perspective Markov is gold. Not to mention the fact that he is still a top pairing dman.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:11 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

What would the + be for Letang?

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Domino11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
No ****ing way are the Habs trading Markov! He's developing Emelin into a top 4 dman and helping Subban attain Norris consideration. From a player development perspective Markov is gold. Not to mention the fact that he is still a top pairing dman.
I agree with u but we need to think about future ! If u can get a guy like barkov u do it anyway of the week ! Markov is really solid and teach emelin and subban but like I said u need to think for the future ! U want to built something like the penguin did . If u have some good young foundation , player like iginla would choose mtl ! Markov price is at is higher so we need to trade him ... It like stock market u don't wait until it come down , u sell high and Markov is high and won't get higher ! Subban will get the Norris anyways one day or an other !

Old
03-31-2013, 09:42 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino11 View Post
I agree with u but we need to think about future ! If u can get a guy like barkov u do it anyway of the week ! Markov is really solid and teach emelin and subban but like I said u need to think for the future ! U want to built something like the penguin did . If u have some good young foundation , player like iginla would choose mtl ! Markov price is at is higher so we need to trade him ... It like stock market u don't wait until it come down , u sell high and Markov is high and won't get higher ! Subban will get the Norris anyways one day or an other !
We do need to think about the future. Markov is the professor. Just think about what he can do for Tinordi and Beaulieu. That's the future and Markov is key in the development of our prospects!

Old
03-31-2013, 09:44 AM
FanHabtic

The Oilers would kill for a guy like Markov developing their young D talent! Look at what he did for Komisarek, souray, Streit and Emelin...

Old
03-31-2013, 09:57 AM
Domino11

Quote:
We do need to think about the future. Markov is the professor. Just think about what he can do for Tinordi and Beaulieu. That's the future and Markov is key in the development of our prospects!
I know and I agree in what your saying 100% .. I love Markov and he's a great teacher and he make other player be better ! I think we should just built for the future and become a power house for years to come .. Our kid will step up and become leaders . Emelin will be ready to step up if we find him somebody to play with , gorges is a great teacher as well and I think he has an impact on subban and that why they play together , bouillon is good with the kids too ! In my opinion if u can get some significant for Markov u trade him no doubt ! I think there is a deal to be made with the oilers cause they have to win before all they're superstar make too much money . I saw barkov play when I was in Finland and if we have a chance to get him then I would give what ever u want , he's a beast . Imagine him with gally as center for our future wowww . Even lindholm or monahan would be a crazy return for Markov , but barkov is my guy !

Old
03-31-2013, 09:57 AM
PSGJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
What would the + be for Letang?
Why would the Pens trade him? In any case I figure the return would be a forward and I'd say the Pens are pretty stacked on forward.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:17 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Quote:
Why would the Pens trade him? In any case I figure the return would be a forward and I'd say the Pens are pretty stacked on forward.
There is a scenario that the Penguins make him an 8 year contract offer with an internal cap hit limit, and if he doesn't accept, they will trade him like they traded Staal. For example, if he wants 7+ million per year, he will (most likely) not receive this in Pittsburgh because of the Penguins' cap structure (Crosby, Malkin, etc).

The Penguins would be a good trade partner with Edmonton if you truly want a young #1D for your 1st rounder. In my opinion, the Pens would be looking for one or two young forwards/prospects in exchange for Letang in addition to the 1st rounder.

ex: Staal for Sutter, Dumoulin, 8th Overall (Pouliot)

Proposal:

Letang for Top 5-10 Overall, Paajarvi, F/D prospect

I would personally like to keep Letang, but the Penguins could use some EC contracts and young forward depth if Letang doesn't want to re-sign.

This is more just for fun, I am curious if such a deal would work on your end.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:26 AM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:

too many things would have to go right for the Oilers for this to happen. anything is possible, but i really can't see this happening.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:41 AM
mibs

Quote:

I can think of two situations where a team might want to deal a potentialy high first rounder for a top defenseman. Rebuilding teams that might want to draft new players to fit their mold (Myers from Buffallo), or are defense heavy in nhl ready defenseman (Gormley form Phoenix,Gardiner form the leafs, Josi from Nashville,etc) wanting to add foward prospects.

Of course these are just some examples, whose value are very different from on aanother, but basically they should be looking at already drafted prospects that are ahead of their devellopement, or gamble they are the real deal.

mibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Domino11

Quote:
There is a scenario that the Penguins make him an 8 year contract offer with an internal cap hit limit, and if he doesn't accept, they will trade him like they traded Staal. For example, if he wants 7+ million per year, he will (most likely) not receive this in Pittsburgh because of the Penguins' cap structure (Crosby, Malkin, etc).

The Penguins would be a good trade partner with Edmonton if you truly want a young #1D for your 1st rounder. In my opinion, the Pens would be looking for one or two young forwards/prospects in exchange for Letang in addition to the 1st rounder.

ex: Staal for Sutter, Dumoulin, 8th Overall (Pouliot)

Proposal:

I would personally like to keep Letang, but the Penguins could use some EC contracts and young forward depth if Letang doesn't want to re-sign.

I believe it will take more then that to get letang ! Think more like top 5-10 + yakupov

Letang is too useful for pitt ... He's part of the core and he love to play in pitt !

Old
03-31-2013, 10:47 AM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
The Oilers would kill for a guy like Markov developing their young D talent! Look at what he did for Komisarek, souray, Streit and Emelin...
By 'develop', you mean in some sort of a coaching capacity? In the 3 years prior to this he's played 65/246 games...so surely you don't mean on the ice..?

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:51 AM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Proposal:

Yep. For Letang, I'd do this and more..

Old
03-31-2013, 11:56 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
By 'develop', you mean in some sort of a coaching capacity? In the 3 years prior to this he's played 65/246 games...so surely you don't mean on the ice..?
Last i checked he has been healthy all season and playing in excess of 25 mins per game. His impact in the game has directly reflected in the Habs resurgence. So yes i'm talking about Markov as a key top pairing dman in the ice!

Old
03-31-2013, 12:14 PM
belair

I personally think that Edmonton's best chance at getting a game-breaking defenseman is taking on one with a bad contract.

They're not exactly anywhere near the cap ceiling now or in the near future, so their budget will allow them to take on that type of contract.

What kind of realistic return that player would merit remains to be seen though.

Personally, I'd like to see them target Brian Campbell in Florida. His 4-year term definitely muddies his overall trade value and could potentially cause problems down the road for Edmonton's cap structure, but his ability to log effective minutes would take a lot of stress off of their younger defensive core.

Jay Bouwmeester might be another viable option if they're looking for a shorter term investment. It's difficult to see Calgary and Edmonton doing a deal of that magnitude though.

Any idea what either of those two would bring back in a return?

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:25 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Last i checked he has been healthy all season and playing in excess of 25 mins per game. His impact in the game has directly reflected in the Habs resurgence. So yes i'm talking about Markov as a key top pairing dman in the ice!
He's in his mid 30's now, is that going to continue? I wouldn't take the chance at the price you're suggesting.

Hemsky's value around here is next to nothing 'because he can't stay healthy'...but over the same time period he's played more than double what Markov has, and he's 5 years younger.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:27 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I personally think that Edmonton's best chance at getting a game-breaking defenseman is taking on one with a bad contract.

They're not exactly anywhere near the cap ceiling now or in the near future, so their budget will allow them to take on that type of contract.

What kind of realistic return that player would merit remains to be seen though.

Personally, I'd like to see them target Brian Campbell in Florida. His 4-year term definitely muddies his overall trade value and could potentially cause problems down the road for Edmonton's cap structure, but his ability to log effective minutes would take a lot of stress off of their younger defensive core.

Jay Bouwmeester might be another viable option if they're looking for a shorter term investment. It's difficult to see Calgary and Edmonton doing a deal of that magnitude though.

Any idea what either of those two would bring back in a return?
With raises to Gagner, Smid, and others- our cap situation next year isn't great. Campbell would cripple us.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:32 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:

A man's athletic prime is generally between 25-32. The kids are nowhere near their primes yet. I'd say if they manage to keep all the kids their best chance at a cup probably starts in 2-3 years. Guys like Crosby and Malkin are in their primes now, not 4 years ago.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:43 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
He's in his mid 30's now, is that going to continue? I wouldn't take the chance at the price you're suggesting.

Hemsky's value around here is next to nothing 'because he can't stay healthy'...but over the same time period he's played more than double what Markov has, and he's 5 years younger.
Hemsky has no where near the impact that Markov has when healthy. Look at the Habs record with Markov in the lineup vs out. Its night and day. Markov has slowed down due to the injuries however his game is not dependant on speed and athletism. As a result there are plenty of miles left. He thinks the game on a different level.

Hemsky meanwhile has little impact on the game hence minimal value cimpared to Markov!

Old
03-31-2013, 12:51 PM
supert

Quote:

Funny isn't it , how other teams offer up their D man that are injury more then Hemsky .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:52 PM
belair

Quote:
With raises to Gagner, Smid, and others- our cap situation next year isn't great. Campbell would cripple us.
Assuming the starting point is Ales Hemsky on any trade, the differential in cap space would only be $2M.

Then factor in Ryan Whitney, Andy Sutton and Nik Khabibulin's contract ending this year, then Horcoff, Belanger, Smyth and Nick Schultz next season and they're not exactly in dire straits.

When we're tracking a top flight defenseman, I assume there's going to be a pricetag coming along with him.

Last edited by belair: 03-31-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Messed up expiring contracts
belair is offline   Reply With Quote