HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Nathan Beaulieu sent down to Hamilton (April 18th, 2013)

Old
03-31-2013, 06:44 AM
yianik

vCash: 500
He got over 17min. in ice time so he clearly had MTs confidence.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 07:12 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
During the anthem, Beaulieu was next to Emelin, and Nathan is taller. So the hockeydb.com height of 6'3" for Beaulieu versus 6'2" for Emelin and 6'1" for Gorges makes sense.

No question he is more separated from Gorges; at any rate, you could see that on the ice.

Now, we all know that heights of all players might be exaggerated, but we have to compare apples to apples.
Hockeydb is best

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:48 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
He got over 17min. in ice time so he clearly had MTs confidence.
See the instant ****ing amazing cross ice pass to (Cough,) Armstrong?

That **** was heavy.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:52 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
See the instant ****ing amazing cross ice pass to (Cough,) Armstrong?

That **** was heavy.
This dude's vision and skating is unbelievable. I watched his first 15 games in Hamilton because of the lockout and he's improved by leaps and bounds. Apart from 1 turnover which was a tricky bouncing puck and a good forecheck by one of the best forecheckers in the game Callahan he played great defensively. He's not so ready physically and if he can gain a bit of weight to fill out he's going to be an amazing player for quite some time.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:55 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
This dude's vision and skating is unbelievable. I watched his first 15 games in Hamilton because of the lockout and he's improved by leaps and bounds. Apart from 1 turnover which was a tricky bouncing puck and a good forecheck by one of the best forecheckers in the game Callahan he played great defensively. He's not so ready physically and if he can gain a bit of weight to fill out he's going to be an amazing player for quite some time.
He has good hockey attributes and he looks strong as a freaking Bison out there.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:59 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He has good hockey attributes and he looks strong as a freaking Bison out there.
He's going to get stronger with time and when he does he's going to be even better. Before the callup in the last few games he was tearing it up in the AHL. If only we had better forwards down there.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:01 AM
PricePkPatch

He's pretty good, love to see him on the team. Only problems I have with him are

1- Need to improve his reaction speed in his own zone. He got badly checked yesterday because he didn't kept his head up during a "first pass"; he needs to be wary of forechecking and do it quicker.

2- He looks ridiculously light and unbuilt. Needs some muscle. Make him train with PK in the off-season

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:01 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

To start he seemed nervous, but as the game went on he seemed really confident in the offensive zone.

Defensive zone not so much. Wasn't confident, but wasn't really timid.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:02 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
He's pretty good, love to see him on the team. Only problems I have with him are

1- Need to improve his reaction speed in his own zone. He got badly checked yesterday because he didn't kept his head up during a "first pass"; he needs to be wary of forechecking and do it quicker.

2- He looks ridiculously light and unbuilt. Needs some muscle. Make him train with PK in the off-season
You should've seen him during his Saint John days, he was like a coat hanger.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Mrb1p

You can't say this guy is not strong physically when he just throws Nash on his butt. :LAUGH: Come on.

He's already stronger than alot of player on this team.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:07 AM
habdynasty

Beau played really good last night. Great to see!

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BaseballCoach

Quote:

I love Nathan Beaulieu and think he could be an all-star down the road, certainly in our own top two with Subban.

Having said that, I have to evaluate his first game honestly, and what he showed was flashes of his potential, but less readiness in the immediate than Tinordi. I would not be comfortable using Beaulieu in the playoffs unless his defensive play and strength on his skates improve quickly.

If we had one or more injuries in the playoffs, I would rank our defencemen at ES as follows:

1. Subban
2. Gorges
3. Emelin
4. Markov
5. Bouillon
6. Diaz
7. Tinordi
8. Pateryn
9. St-Denis
10. Weber
11. Beaulieu

Given the above, you can see why I would not be against a depth D coming in at a reasonable cost.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
You can't say this guy is not strong physically when he just throws Nash on his butt. :LAUGH: Come on.

To be fair, Nash was off balance at the time. I could have knocked him over - wearing roller skates....

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
To be fair, Nash was off balance at the time. I could have knocked him over - wearing roller skates....
I'm pretty sure you and I together wouldnt have made an impact on him

Old
03-31-2013, 09:11 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
I love Nathan Beaulieu and think he could be an all-star down the road, certainly in our own top two with Subban.

Having said that, I have to evaluate his first game honestly, and what he showed was flashes of his potential, but less readiness in the immediate than Tinordi. I would not be comfortable using Beaulieu in the playoffs unless his defensive play and strength on his skates improve quickly.

If we had one or more injuries in the playoffs, I would rank our defencemen at ES as follows:

1. Subban
2. Gorges
3. Emelin
4. Markov
5. Bouillon
6. Diaz
7. Tinordi
8. Pateryn
9. St-Denis
10. Weber
11. Beaulieu

Given the above, you can see why I would not be against a depth D coming in at a reasonable cost.
I can't even take you seriously putting Diaz at 6 and Emelin at 3. Diaz was arguably our best defender in his own zone when he was healthy. Emelin playing RD certainly doesn't help him and he looks lost sometimes. He's been way too inconsistent this season to be placed at 3.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:14 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

He's still a bit raw, but you can see how his game has progressed. He's going to be very good for us down the line.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:15 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

Strength and being built are two different things. Maybe he's strong; he's tall and lean; that's a good sign. Nervous strength is perfect when you have the initiative on the play; when you're the one checking.

He needs mass for when HE is being checked. For when he is engaged in a tough puck battle on the board. Just look at Subban literally waving players away when he's got the puck; that's the sort of strength Nathan needs.

I'm telling ya; send Nathan to train with Subban during summer.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:17 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Strength and being built are two different things. Maybe he's strong; he's tall and lean; that's a good sign. Nervous strength is perfect when you have the initiative on the play; when you're the one checking.

He needs mass for when HE is being checked. For when he is engaged in a tough puck battle on the board. Just look at Subban literally waving players away when he's got the puck; that's the sort of strength Nathan needs.

Nathan doesn't need that strength because he doesn't play the same game as subban. Nathan doesn't use his body like Subby does and never will.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:18 AM
Tyson

Nathan turned 20 in December. He will fill out which of course is the easy part. He has the tools that can't be taught of a sudden...Elite skating and overall skills. This kid is going to be a solid player sooner rather than later once he learns how to play in his own zone which from what I saw last night...he is improving by leaps and bounds from where he was three months ago. He has Markov vision and Subban skating skills, not a bad combination.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:19 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:

Oh and Nathan will never have the same strength as P.K they aren't built the same. P.k is built like a brick wall Nathan has more of a skinny frame.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:22 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Nathan doesn't need that strength because he doesn't play the same game as subban. Nathan doesn't use his body like Subby does and never will.
Quote:
Oh and Nathan will never have the same strength as P.K they aren't built the same. P.k is built like a brick wall Nathan has more of a skinny frame.
Fair enough. But I say Nathan still needs at least 20-30 more pounds on him if he wants to be at optimal weight and get a stronger shot.

Especially in the legs

Old
03-31-2013, 09:25 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Fair enough. But I say Nathan still needs at least 20-30 more pounds on him if he wants to be at optimal weight and get a stronger shot.

Especially in the legs
I would say 10 pounds, 20-30 pounds is a bit excessive you certainly don't want to change the player he is by gaining too much weight. He is already at 191 and 200 pounds seems like the perfect weight for him to not get tossed around by the opposition and to play to his style.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:32 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I can't even take you seriously putting Diaz at 6 and Emelin at 3. Diaz was arguably our best defender in his own zone when he was healthy. Emelin playing RD certainly doesn't help him and he looks lost sometimes. He's been way too inconsistent this season to be placed at 3.
Emelin had by far the tougher opposition to play against. He HITS. Did you see how he took out Nash and Gaborik yesterday?

Let's be honest. Diaz deservedly got accolades due to the much lower expectations on him, but in the last five minutes of a playoff game with a small lead, I want tougher guys than Diaz out there for four of those five minutes.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:34 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Emelin had by far the tougher opposition to play against. He HITS. Did you see how he took out Nash and Gaborik yesterday?

Let's be honest. Diaz deservedly got accolades due to the much lower expectations on him, but in the last five minutes of a playoff game with a small lead, I want tougher guys than Diaz out there for four of those five minutes.
I really like Emelin but this season he's been inconsistent and when Diaz was healthy he played against pretty tough opposition himself getting 20+ minutes a night. When Emelin is on his game like he was yesterday he's awesome.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Looks like he just got initiated by the team, lol:

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin 2m
Début de la pratique Provigo. Les joueurs laissent Beaulieu sauter seul sur la glace et faire un tour de patinoire sous les acclamations.Ha!

It's the Provigo fan practice today and the team let Beaulieu go on the ice first - and alone - with the crowd cheering.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote