Danes in the NHL and their exploits.

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Justinov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Yeah prospects are mostly unpredictable some who seem to be destined NHLers bust and some who are drafted in 9th round like your Jannik Hansen flourish under the right circunstances .
Jannik Hansen has a psychology that you can't easily teach. An ability and will to train harder than anyone else is a true talent! Other people can break if they overtrain. Hansen just keeps improving constantly! But he got the time to do it for Vancouver so credit to them for keep believing in him!

Old
03-28-2013, 07:29 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Jannik Hansen has a psychology that you can't easily teach. An ability and will to train harder than anyone else is a true talent! Other people can break if they overtrain. Hansen just keeps improving constantly! But he got the time to do it for Vancouver so credit to them for keep believing in him!
I think the perfect latvian comparable to Hansen is Girgensons,he has the same no quit attitude,and thats why im certain he will make it

Old
03-28-2013, 07:34 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Also it seems that for us Bruins fans its inevitable to to hate Pittsburgh now after that Iginla trade
Haha trust me, Ive had my share of Bruins fans hating Canucks aswell

Quote:
Yeah when you see Starkov in WHL 2006-07 for Red Dear Rebels:
72 Games: 34G 31A (71P). That is the same level as Nicklas Jensen and Oliver Bjørkstrand! And with more goals than assist that is better than both of them!
We have already talked about Morten Madsen with 32G and 68P (100P!) in only 62 games in QMJHL also in 2006-07. Best of all danes ever.

They were two of the most likely to succeed of all danish prospects and a warning that nothing is certain if being mishandled - by Columbus and Minnesota organisations respectively.

So hopefully Vancouver doesn't throw Nicklas Jensen to the "wolves" but save him in time!!
Well Columbus has always been known to break great prospects, not saying Starkov was great. Just look at a guy like Nikita Filatov.

As for Minnesota, I think it all came down to Morten not performing at an expected level in the AHL. I really think they had high hopes for him.

Quote:
Yeah prospects are mostly unpredictable some who seem to be destined NHLers bust and some who are drafted in 9th round like your Jannik Hansen flourish under the right circunstances .
True, Zetterberg must be the best example of that

Old
03-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Justinov

Quote:
I think the perfect latvian comparable to Hansen is Girgensons,he has the same no quit attitude,and thats why im certain he will make it
"Talent" is many different things.
Both stickskills, coolness under stress, reading the game, ability to work hard in practice...etc
Off course being blessed with the right body that can withstand the physical abuse is also important (though less of a "talent").
Maybe Mario Lemieux was the only player to have all the package; but he also had a lot of his career destroyed by backproblems and cancer.
But the mental part is very important for making it in the long run.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:40 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingNuck View Post
Haha trust me, Ive had my share of Bruins fans hating Canucks aswell

Well Columbus has always been known to break great prospects, not saying Starkov was great. Just look at a guy like Nikita Filatov.

As for Minnesota, I think it all came down to Morten not performing at an expected level in the AHL. I really think they had high hopes for him.

True, Zetterberg must be the best example of that
Well i don`t HATE them,just particularly don`t like them.

Also about Filatov- i have no idea how got drafted so high,hes so lazy its almost unbelievable,as i watch alot KHL too i get to see him on almost daily basis i got to say he does have skill,but the way he coasts even coaches in the K are aboslutley furious.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Justinov

I have no idea what role Morten Madsen played in AHL, but the regress from QHJHL to AHL seems perplexing. Maybe Minnesota should have send him to Europe. I don't think AHL is all that great in developing prospects..at least not for many european players.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:42 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
"Talent" is many different things.
Both stickskills, coolness under stress, reading the game, ability to work hard in practice...etc
Off course being blessed with the right body that can withstand the physical abuse is also important (though less of a "talent").
Maybe Mario Lemieux was the only player to have all the package; but he also had a lot of his career destroyed by backproblems and cancer.
But the mental part is very important for making it in the long run.
Yes absolutley,especially for young kids who are just stepping in the professional hockey.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:43 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Well i don`t HATE them,just particularly don`t like them.

Also about Filatov- i have no idea how got drafted so high,hes so lazy its almost unbelievable,as i watch alot KHL too i get to see him on almost daily basis i got to say he does have skill,but the way he coasts even coaches in the K are aboslutley furious.
Well, as long as you don't hate us

Yeah, I have a few friends in Ohio saying the same thing.. And to be honest, it is the same with Starkov.. He does coast allot..

Except for the NT against Russia

Old
03-28-2013, 07:45 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
I have no idea what role Morten Madsen played in AHL, but the regress from QHJHL to AHL seems perplexing. Maybe Minnesota should have send him to Europe. I don't think AHL is all that great in developing prospects..at least not for many european players.
True.

AHL is good for the big physical Canadian beast kids.. But smaller Euro players should go to Europe for development.. The AHL did Nielsen, Hansen and Eller wonders though.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:47 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Well, as long as you don't hate us

Yeah, I have a few friends in Ohio saying the same thing.. And to be honest, it is the same with Starkov.. He does coast allot..

Except for the NT against Russia
Don`t want to get into the whole "hurr durr Russians are lazy floaters"
but if anyone Filatov does fit that sterotype and Starkov by the sound of the last name isnt exactly pure Dane,now is he?

Old
03-28-2013, 07:49 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
but if anyone Filatov does fit that sterotype and Starkov by the sound of the last name isnt exactly pure Dane,now is he?
No no, he is Russian.. His father played Hockey in Denmark and Starkov thus grew up here and played his Jr hockey here.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Kirill Starkov is the son of Oleg Starkov that came to Denmark after the wall fell. So he is born in Russia and ethnically Russian.
Oleg Starkov played for CSKA Moskva and Avtomobilist Sverdlovsk and then came to Esbjerg. What players Denmark suddenly got to the danish league back then. So his son chose to play for Denmark while Vyacheslav Trukhno son of Leonid Trukhno (came to Denmark in 1992) chose Russia.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:56 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Kirill Starkov is the son of Oleg Starkov that came to Denmark after the wall fell. So he is born in Russia and ethnically Russian.
Oleg Starkov played for CSKA Moskva and Avtomobilist Sverdlovsk and then came to Esbjerg. What players Denmark suddenly got to the danish league back then. So his son chose to play for Denmark while Vyacheslav Trukhno son of Leonid Trukhno (also came to Denmark in 1991) chose Russia.
So is Kiril Starkov the biggest bust of Danish hockey?

Old
03-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Justinov

Quote:
So is Kiril Starkov the biggest bust of Danish hockey?
Yeah from how big a promise he was to where he is playing today.
But it is funny. When Denmark plays Russia then he change into a totally different player. I wish he could find that spirit, but it must be the lack of Jannik Hansen work ethics that kept him from reaching his goals.
But that is the danger for pure snipers......if they lose that they drop to a more ordinary level!

His player profile sounds like this (from eliteprospects).
"Starkov is a highly skilled Russian talent, now a Danish citizen. Blessed with top notch technical skills and very good hockey sense. Defensive game might not be the best, but his offensive skills are impressive. Scores points on regular basis. Fan favourite because of his flashy style of play".

We haven't seen that in many years from him!

Old
03-28-2013, 08:05 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Yeah from how big a promise he was to where he is playing today.
But it is funny. When Denmark plays Russia then he change into a totally different player. I wish he could find that spirit, but it must be the lack of Jannik Hansen work ethics that kept him from reaching his goals.
But that is the danger for pure snipers......if they lose that they drop to a more ordinary level!

His player profile sounds like this (from eliteprospects).
"Starkov is a highly skilled Russian talent, now a Danish citizen. Blessed with top notch technical skills and very good hockey sense. Defensive game might not be the best, but his offensive skills are impressive. Scores points on regular basis. Fan favourite because of his flashy style of play".

We haven't seen that in many years from him!
Huh,okay and if you had to guess which current Danish prospect is more likely to bust,who would it be?Just for pure speculation

Old
03-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Huh,okay and if you had to guess which current Danish prospect is more likely to bust,who would it be?Just for pure speculation
Ah I wont try to be so negative about the current prospects. Bust is a strong word. But for a prospect like Starkov that has ended up as 3-4'th liner in Allsvenskan (second attempt after first time being fired and returning to play the danish league) that certainly is a bust.

But I can say that Thomas Spelling certainly didn't have the year he and others expected. Almost being headhunted from Herning to Rögle in SEL he was basically benched first half of the season and first then loaned to Oskarshamn in Allsvenskan. He ended up playing mostly in U20, so it could look like he lost a year in development. But still he was fifth in point-production in the swedish elite-U20, so it's not at all what you can call bust.
But Spelling also feels a bit (so far) as a top6 or bust type of player. Great shot! but not strong defensively, or not known for extraordinary work ethics either.
But maybe this year in Sweden have hardened him somewhat....

But for a NHL drafted player to not be good enough (even after several years after the draft) to play in SEL/SM-liiga or the like would be regarded as bust in my book.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:47 AM
Justinov

Another rather forgettable danish night in the NHL.

Mikkel Bødker finally got a point (1A) in Phoenix 7-4 win over Nashville.
Frans Nielsen missed a penalty in the shootout, but NYI won anyways 4-3 over Philadelphia and is still in the playoff race.
Jannik Hansen didn't get any point in Vancouver's 4-1 win over Colorado.
Peter Regin was benched in Otttawa's 3-0 win over NY Rangers.

Positively at least that all the "danish" teams won.

About the Kirill Starkov story. It's now the second time he failed to prolong a contract in Allsvenskan (Oskarshamn had no use for him next season).
Is it back to the danish league again for him (Esbjerg?)

Old
03-29-2013, 07:31 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Another rather forgettable danish night in the NHL.

Mikkel Bødker finally got a point (1A) in Phoenix 7-4 win over Nashville.
Frans Nielsen missed a penalty in the shootout, but NYI won anyways 4-3 over Philadelphia and is still in the playoff race.
Jannik Hansen didn't get any point in Vancouver's 4-1 win over Colorado.
Peter Regin was benched in Otttawa's 3-0 win over NY Rangers.

Positively at least that all the "danish" teams won.

About the Kirill Starkov story. It's now the second time he failed to prolong a contract in Allsvenskan (Oskarshamn had no use for him next season).
Is it back to the danish league again for him (Esbjerg?)
Well im just glad Vancouver are back on a winning streak...

Nielsen and Boedker are real headscratchers for me..

Especially Boedker.. only one a in 7-4 blowout... Pho were up 4-0 within the first 10-12 minutes..

Old
03-29-2013, 09:55 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

We might see Olly Lauridsen finally get a chance in the NHL on Saturday against the Bruins

https://twitter.com/dianacnearhos

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1388811

Haven't really been checking up on Olly tbh, but apparently he has been really good for the Phantoms in the AHL.

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 03-29-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old
03-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Justinov

Quote:
We might see Olly Lauridsen finally get a chance in the NHL on Saturday against the Bruins

https://twitter.com/dianacnearhos

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1388811

Haven't really been checking up on Olly tbh, but apparently he has been really good for the Phantoms in the AHL.
That's super great news. So a possible Oliver Lauridsen debut against Daugavins
He has one niche possibility...big stay at home d-man keeping people from the crease (with the occasional slam and fight?) Fortunately for him he is in the totally right club for his skill-set. It seems that his skating has improved enough to give him a chance in the NHL.

With little brother Markus being on an entry level contract with Colorado things start to look bright for the Lauridsen duo!

Old
03-30-2013, 04:14 AM
Justinov

Dallas won 5-3 over Minnesota and Philip Larsen got 1 assist and was +1.
So that is good news for Larsen and the win keeps Dallas with a chance for playoffs.

In AHL Norfolk won over top team Syracuse in OT 5-4 and still have a chance for playoffs. Frederik Andersen fell to GAA 2,20 and SVS 92,8%.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:47 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

So, Philly won with Lauridsen clocking a little more than 17 mins with a +- of 0 3 hits and 3 blocks.

He looked solid and not at all out of place, and it looks like Philly's fans think so too

Always good they break a loosing streak with a dane on the team ...

One thing though,they are already calling him the great dane!

They have to know there is only one great dane in that league, and that's Jannik Hansen

They have to learn that Danish players can have other nicknames than great dane, it's like every team with a dane uses that nick IT IS PRESERVED FOR HANSEN

Old
03-31-2013, 05:54 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

On another note...

According to this source: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...interstitial=1

The freakin Blackhawks are out to grab Nielsen...

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 03-31-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old
03-31-2013, 06:51 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
On another note...

According to this source: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...interstitial=1

The freakin Blackhawks are out to grab Nielsen...

Old
03-31-2013, 07:00 AM
Justinov

Quote:
So, Philly won with Lauridsen clocking a little more than 17 mins with a +- of 0 3 hits and 3 blocks.

He looked solid and not at all out of place, and it looks like Philly's fans think so too

Always good they break a loosing streak with a dane on the team ...

One thing though,they are already calling him the great dane!

They have to know there is only one great dane in that league, and that's Jannik Hansen

They have to learn that Danish players can have other nicknames than great dane, it's like every team with a dane uses that nick IT IS PRESERVED FOR HANSEN
Yeah good start for Oliver Lauridsen. I don't know if he will play more games but he has shown that he can handle it.
Actually all this "great dane" stuff will be totally obsolete when Frederik Andersen gets his debut. His size is without question

Otherwise it was another forgettable danish night with absolutely no points:
Philadelphia won 3-1 over Boston (Daugavins didn't play, so no dane-latvian battle).
NYI lost 0-2 to Pittsburgh and Frans Nielsen was -1.
Montreal won 3-0 to NYR. Eller was +0
Ottawa lost 0-4 to Toronto (Regin was benched again, bad sign).
Vancouver lost 0-4 to Edmonton (auch, that must hurt). Hansen was +0.
Phoenix lost 2-3 to San Jose and Bødker was +0.

So on the positive note: New Danish record with 7 danish players on the ice this season. Still a possibility of Frederik Andersen or Nicklas Jensen might get a game in case of injuries.
Markus Lauridsen will with all likelihood be kept in AHL to further his development.

Closed Thread