HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2013, 12:16 PM
  #51
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
James Neal - Sidney Crosby - Rick Nash
Steven Stamkos - John Tavares - Martin St. Louis
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Claude Giroux
Eric Staal - Patrice Bergeron - Corey Perry
-Ryan Getzlaf and Tyler Seguin/Taylor Hall(press box)

Alex Pietrangelo - Shea Weber
Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Kris Letang - PK Subban
-Jay Bouwmeester and Mark Staal(press box)

Carey Price
Roberto Luongo
-Marc-Andre Fleury

I think this is definetely a team that can take gold. 2 amazing scoring lines and 2 very strong two-way lines that can definetely put up points. The D is pretty good too. Im a bit worried about the Subban/Letang pairing but couldnt leave one of them out.

LeHabsMan is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 04:16 PM
  #52
tade
Registered User
 
tade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
It is painful for my eyes when I see someone picking up players like Neal, Hall and Kunitz for Canadian Olympic team. They have nothing to do there.

Let me take a look. I will try to make my predictions.

Canada should build their lines around these centers:
Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, Claude Giroux and Jonathan Toews.
Some of the centers gotta play wing that's for sure but players whose I mentioned should play center position in this team and around them build the phenomenal Canadian team.

Forwards:
Rick Nash - Sidney Crosby - John Tavares
Eric Staal - Steven Stamkos - Jason Spezza (I'm sure he will bounce back after injury)
Ryan Getzlaf - Claude Giroux - Corey Perry
Mike Richards - Jonathan Toews - Patrice Bergeron

Replaces: Martin St. Louis, Matt Duchene, Joe Thornton

Defense:
Shea Weber - Duncan Keith
Alex Pietrangelo - Kris Letang
Drew Doughty - P.K. Subban

Replaces: Marc Staal, Brian Campbell

Goalies:
Carey Price
Marc-Andre Fleury
Martin Brodeur / Corey Crawford / Mike Smith

I'm worry about Tavares on wing at european ice. God, I'd love that line M. Richards - Toews - Bergeron. Also Giroux between Getzlaf and Perry seems interesting to me.

tade is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 06:43 PM
  #53
dan1el
Registered User
 
dan1el's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,735
vCash: 500
Here's my latest prediction, Forwards:

St. Louis-Crosby(C)-Stamkos
Giroux-Tavares-Moulson
Nash-Toews(A)-E. Staal
Carter-Getzlaf-Perry
Eberle

I know St. Louis is getting up there in age, but he's still fast and very smart, and that's what we need for the big ice. Moulson is PPG this year and has unreal chemistry with Tavares. Spezza is definitely good enough to be on this team but injuries and for some reason, hockey Canada doesn't like him.

Defence:
Weber(A)-Pietrangelo
Keith-Letang
Subban-Doughty
Hamhuis

That first pairing should be better then any other in the tourney, except maybe Karlsson and OEL. Subban has been playing lights out. Doughty's fallen off since the playoffs but performs when the going gets tough, as he's proven before. Hamhuis should be brought along to kill penalties and to defend leads, he's really solid.

Price
Fleury
Crawford

Goal is our one weakness, but Price should be able to carry the load for us.

dan1el is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 10:22 PM
  #54
Mehar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tade View Post
It is painful for my eyes when I see someone picking up players like Neal, Hall and Kunitz for Canadian Olympic team. They have nothing to do there.
You did a good job overall with your projected team. However, it was also painful for my eyes that you included Joe Thornton and Spezza as possible replacements. Thornton was terrible on the big ice for Canada in the 2006 Olympics. He will not be there for Sochi, since he is on the downside of his career, and his best days are behind him. I already talked about Spezza earlier. Those two will not be there in 2014, and should not be in any Team Canada discussion.

Mehar is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 08:02 AM
  #55
True Hockey Fan
Registered User
 
True Hockey Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
James Neal - Sidney Crosby - Rick Nash
Steven Stamkos - John Tavares - Martin St. Louis
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Claude Giroux
Eric Staal - Patrice Bergeron - Corey Perry
-Ryan Getzlaf and Tyler Seguin/Taylor Hall(press box)

Alex Pietrangelo - Shea Weber
Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Kris Letang - PK Subban
-Jay Bouwmeester and Mark Staal(press box)

Carey Price
Roberto Luongo
-Marc-Andre Fleury

I think this is definetely a team that can take gold. 2 amazing scoring lines and 2 very strong two-way lines that can definetely put up points. The D is pretty good too. Im a bit worried about the Subban/Letang pairing but couldnt leave one of them out.

I would like to know some opinions here about the Stamkos-Tavares-St.Louis line...the only problem I see is a little bit of absence of physicality and you know the dirty work-type player. Or do you think it wouldn't be a problem ? / is this line capable to be solid defensively ?

Re. Benn, I would definitely take Taylor Hall before Benn right now.

I think Iginla has a legitimate chance, and he doesn't even have to play with Crosby in Pittsburgh. If he makes a good play-off run......why not ? As of now, I think he has a better chance to make the team than Perry. But the play-offs can change everything I guess.

P.K. Subban is still closer and closer to be a member of the canadian olympic squad, I think he's gonna make the team.

True Hockey Fan is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 09:08 AM
  #56
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
I would like to know some opinions here about the Stamkos-Tavares-St.Louis line...the only problem I see is a little bit of absence of physicality and you know the dirty work-type player. Or do you think it wouldn't be a problem ? / is this line capable to be solid defensively ?
I don't think it matters so much. Canada's top two lines will be able to produce(assuming the line you mentioned is the second line) and Canada already has a plethora of excellent two way players, especially if Toews and Bergeron are considered the 3rd and 4th line centers. In terms of type of player, I think that's neutralized on the open surface. I don't know who you had listed as your bottom six centers/forwards but that gritty type player on the top two lines isn't as necessary, Canada can score those goals with their bottom six if needs be IMO.



Quote:
Re. Benn, I would definitely take Taylor Hall before Benn right now.
Tough call but as would I.

Quote:
I think Iginla has a legitimate chance, and he doesn't even have to play with Crosby in Pittsburgh. If he makes a good play-off run......why not ? As of now, I think he has a better chance to make the team than Perry. But the play-offs can change everything I guess.
Ehh I think not. He didn't look all that mobile last year and this year even more so. Think he misses out.

Quote:
P.K. Subban is still closer and closer to be a member of the canadian olympic squad, I think he's gonna make the team.
Right now he's a lock for me if he continues his play. Plenty of experience playing for Team Canada already on his resume to boot.

Cory Trevor is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 10:22 AM
  #57
Mehar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I don't think it matters so much. Canada's top two lines will be able to produce(assuming the line you mentioned is the second line) and Canada already has a plethora of excellent two way players, especially if Toews and Bergeron are considered the 3rd and 4th line centers. In terms of type of player, I think that's neutralized on the open surface. I don't know who you had listed as your bottom six centers/forwards but that gritty type player on the top two lines isn't as necessary, Canada can score those goals with their bottom six if needs be IMO.
Well said. I agree with that assessment and that is the reason why i had no problem, having Tavares alongside Stamkos and St. Louis as my third line. If the the tournament was being played on an NHL Sized rink, then that would be a different story. On the open ice of the Olympics, it is a different story.

Mehar is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 10:28 AM
  #58
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
I would like to know some opinions here about the Stamkos-Tavares-St.Louis line...the only problem I see is a little bit of absence of physicality and you know the dirty work-type player. Or do you think it wouldn't be a problem ? / is this line capable to be solid defensively ?

Re. Benn, I would definitely take Taylor Hall before Benn right now.

I think Iginla has a legitimate chance, and he doesn't even have to play with Crosby in Pittsburgh. If he makes a good play-off run......why not ? As of now, I think he has a better chance to make the team than Perry. But the play-offs can change everything I guess.

P.K. Subban is still closer and closer to be a member of the canadian olympic squad, I think he's gonna make the team.
I think Benn is a bit better 2-way and I would love to see him with Toews. But it is very tough. We will see next year.

Just imagine Stamkos-Tavares-St.Louis...True it is lacking physicality but I think they are capable of standing there own defensively. I think the offensive possibilities outweighs the defensive problems. The other 3 lines are very strong defensively so 1 more offensive minded line wouldnt really hurt.

LeHabsMan is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:05 PM
  #59
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,511
vCash: 500
My team varies so much lol. With my mood I guess
I would be horrible at making this team, my mind changes so much.

This, IMO, is the best roster in term of talent and effectiveness on big ice... Not right now, but next season.

Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - Giroux - Eberle
Staal - Toews - Nash
Benn - Bergeron - Seguin
Duchene

Keith - Doughty
Subban - Weber
Letang - Pietrangelo
Staal

Price
Fleury
Holtby


12 top 3 picks in the NHL Draft

MAK19 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 02:16 AM
  #60
leafsfuture
Registered User
 
leafsfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,632
vCash: 500
I know its not likely, but Joffrey Lupul has to be playing his way into a summer orientation camp invite. He has been nothing short of outstanding since his return from injury, and we all know he was great last year as well.

Hes an excellent finisher, improved skating, goes into tough areas and underrated playmaker.

leafsfuture is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 04:46 AM
  #61
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
I know its not likely, but Joffrey Lupul has to be playing his way into a summer orientation camp invite. He has been nothing short of outstanding since his return from injury, and we all know he was great last year as well.

Hes an excellent finisher, improved skating, goes into tough areas and underrated playmaker.
Ehh, I put him in that same category who's worthy of a look, but realistically gets left off. Similar to Marchand in terms of status with Hockey Canada. He won't make it, but maybe he gets an invite. Eventually the numbers whittle down though and I think he falls just short. I just don't think if you are going to carry a team to Sochi on the larger surface and you have a roster as deep as Canada's, he just doesn't fit the bill and is replaced with more suited better performing wings.

Cory Trevor is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 11:57 AM
  #62
Mehar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
I know its not likely, but Joffrey Lupul has to be playing his way into a summer orientation camp invite. He has been nothing short of outstanding since his return from injury, and we all know he was great last year as well.

Hes an excellent finisher, improved skating, goes into tough areas and underrated playmaker.
If Lupul keeps up his play for the rest of the year, including the playoffs, then possibly, but still unlikely. Right now he has played only 9 games this year. He has looked very good in those 9 games, but that short time frame does not warrant him a summer invite. So, i would say NO right now. Others are ahead of him on the depth chart and are better overall players than him.


Last edited by Mehar: 04-03-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Mehar is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 07:49 AM
  #63
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
so the Oilers trio of Hall RNH Ebs finally show signs of playing. Hopefully they'll continue to rack up points and forever kick to the curb, send in exile to the B team Getzlaf and Perry.... be gone with those two.

Mr Writer is online now  
Old
04-04-2013, 09:36 AM
  #64
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
so the Oilers trio of Hall RNH Ebs finally show signs of playing. Hopefully they'll continue to rack up points and forever kick to the curb, send in exile to the B team Getzlaf and Perry.... be gone with those two.
Can't imagine Nugent-Hopkins making the team. Hall and Eberle have decent chances though, and should at least be at the summer camp.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 10:07 AM
  #65
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Can't imagine Nugent-Hopkins making the team. Hall and Eberle have decent chances though, and should at least be at the summer camp.
Ya, I know. I never pass up on an opportunity to throw a few stones in the direction of our Anaheim duo.

Mr Writer is online now  
Old
04-04-2013, 10:49 AM
  #66
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
so the Oilers trio of Hall RNH Ebs finally show signs of playing. Hopefully they'll continue to rack up points and forever kick to the curb, send in exile to the B team Getzlaf and Perry.... be gone with those two.
I've had Hall on my team since day 1, as I've always felt his game was perfectly suited to the international ice surface. Nothing has changed, obviously, and I'm really glad to see him playing well these days. He's distanced himself from Kane in the last few weeks.

Nugent-Hopkins has basically no chance, in my estimation. There are guys like Duchene, Benn, and Couture at center, who are currently better players and more advanced in their development, who most likely won't make this team.

Eberle's a tough call. For me, he's close, but on the outside looking in right now. He's behind Seguin at RW. Then, when I take a step back and look at the roster, I'm going to need a bit more physicality and 2-way play on the lower lines. I think he gets nudged-out there, by someone like Richards, Sharp, Perry, maybe Benn or Jordan Staal. Or, and his horrifies me to say it as a Habs fan, Brad Marchand. He's a little ****, but a great player.

A few other random thoughts:

- Bouwmeester in STL will be interesting. Hopefully he pairs up with Pietrangelo, plays well in the playoffs, and provides us with a ready-made defense pair for 2014.

- Any word when Sharp is due back? I want him to make this team, but a prolonged injury and missing playoff time won't help his cause.

- The Bergeron concussion is very concerning. This is four now, for him. Plus the broken neck. Historically it has taken him a while to get going again after a concussion, so we may not see the Bergeron of the past few months for some time. If he's playing hockey next December, he'll be on the team, but again, concerning from my perspective as he's lining up to be a critical guy on Team Canada.

86Habs is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 11:54 AM
  #67
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
I've had Hall on my team since day 1, as I've always felt his game was perfectly suited to the international ice surface. Nothing has changed, obviously, and I'm really glad to see him playing well these days. He's distanced himself from Kane in the last few weeks.

Nugent-Hopkins has basically no chance, in my estimation. There are guys like Duchene, Benn, and Couture at center, who are currently better players and more advanced in their development, who most likely won't make this team.

Eberle's a tough call. For me, he's close, but on the outside looking in right now. He's behind Seguin at RW. Then, when I take a step back and look at the roster, I'm going to need a bit more physicality and 2-way play on the lower lines. I think he gets nudged-out there, by someone like Richards, Sharp, Perry, maybe Benn or Jordan Staal. Or, and his horrifies me to say it as a Habs fan, Brad Marchand. He's a little ****, but a great player.

A few other random thoughts:

- Bouwmeester in STL will be interesting. Hopefully he pairs up with Pietrangelo, plays well in the playoffs, and provides us with a ready-made defense pair for 2014.

- Any word when Sharp is due back? I want him to make this team, but a prolonged injury and missing playoff time won't help his cause.

- The Bergeron concussion is very concerning. This is four now, for him. Plus the broken neck. Historically it has taken him a while to get going again after a concussion, so we may not see the Bergeron of the past few months for some time. If he's playing hockey next December, he'll be on the team, but again, concerning from my perspective as he's lining up to be a critical guy on Team Canada.

Ya, I agree. There are a few injury concerns there, but overall I'm liking how the team is shaping up. I'm all for young, skilled and fast, take it hard to the net no fear T. Hall... a Hall Stamkos MSL 2nd line? so long the coach doesn't pull a Steve Spott and put him in a 4th line checking role. How many years is it going to take for Spott to overcome that fiasco, 20 years maybe?

Mr Writer is online now  
Old
04-04-2013, 12:08 PM
  #68
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
I'm really liking our forward group right now, but I am somewhat (but not overly) concerned about our defense group. Our top four - Weber, Keith, Pietrangelo, and Doughty - are having what I would term off-years, at least by their lofty standards. Staal is injured. Hamhuis is having a good season, on-par with expectations. Seabrook - same. Subban is having an absolute outstanding season, and has now cracked my top-8. Letang was playing great, at least offensively, until he got injured. We have decent fall-back options in Bouwmeester, Del Zotto, Coburn, and the like. So, overall, we're not shaping up quite as well as I had hoped (especially with respect to Pietrangelo), but again, not overly concerned.

86Habs is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 12:10 PM
  #69
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,863
vCash: 500
As long as Bergeron is fit there's no worry about him "taking time to recover". He reached a level of play before this injury he's never been at before, possibly with the exception of the 2011 playoffs. I believe that within a few years time we will have to put him up with historically extremely high end two-way forwards. Dare i say it but i'm talking Doug Gilmour at his best here.

Darth Yoda is offline  
Old
04-04-2013, 12:52 PM
  #70
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
As long as Bergeron is fit there's no worry about him "taking time to recover". He reached a level of play before this injury he's never been at before, possibly with the exception of the 2011 playoffs. I believe that within a few years time we will have to put him up with historically extremely high end two-way forwards. Dare i say it but i'm talking Doug Gilmour at his best here.
That's blasphemous, at least in the eyes of Leafs fans.

That said, I personally don't think he's reached that level yet. Gilmour was playing Selke-caliber defensive hockey AND hitting the top-5 in NHL scoring at his peak ('92-'94). Bergeron has the defensive aspect covered, but he needs to score a bit more IMO to reach Dougie's level, though acknowledging that he's playing in a pretty stifling defensive system under Julien.

86Habs is offline  
Old
04-06-2013, 12:17 PM
  #71
HighwayToHelm
Registered User
 
HighwayToHelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
LW C RW
Kunitz Crosby Nash
Tavares Giroux Stamkos
Staal Toews Perry
Hall Duchene Seguin
Lupul (i swear i'm not a leafs fan)

(Eberle, St.Louis, Ladd)

D
Weber Doughty
Letang Peiterangelo
Keith Seabrook
Subban

(Girardi, Giordano, Boyle)

G
Bernier (you'll see)
Price
Louongo

ok so I know my second line of forwards are all Centres but there too good not to give as much ice time as possible. 3rd line is designed for speed and anyone whose watched Duchene this year I think would agree he'll kill it on the big ice. I ended up with like no role players but i just couldn't take a spot from any of the guys i have. and yah Bernier's for real.

HighwayToHelm is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:48 AM
  #72
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
I mentioned this in another thread unrelated to the Sochi games, so I thought I may as well bring it up here. Noticed an interesting tweet today from an Ottawa based reporter. apparently one Ottawa d-man Methot has made quite an impression on the fine folks at Hockey Canada and is on their radar for the Sochi games. Marc freakin Methot... the 2 goal 9 pt + 2 defensive dynamo in now in Canada's group of top 12 d-men in the country. What more proof does one need to understand how utterly inept Hockey Canada is as an organization. I've had my fill just about of Hockey Canada incompetence for the past 3 years.

Mr Writer is online now  
Old
04-07-2013, 12:37 PM
  #73
Picaroon
Registered User
 
Picaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
This is what I've got. D is awkward with so many righties...

Stamkos-----Crosby--------St.Louis
Tavares------Toews--------Nash
Staal---------Giroux--------Perry
Hall-----------Bergeron-----Getzlaf
Benn/Seguin/Duchene

Keith------------Weber
Subban---------Pietrangelo
Letang----------Doughty
Hamhuis

Price
Luongo
Fleury/Ward


My concept for the forwards was to keep our best face-off guys in the middle. All 4 of the centres I have are elite face-off guys. Then, i put a sniper and a play maker on each wing while balancing the size throughout the lineup. Each line has a big guy except for the 1st, but nobody is going to be able to keep up with that line anyways.

St.Louis deserves a shot. His chemistry with our top goal scorer cannot be ignored and his speed/vision will be perfect on the big ice. I couldn't decide a 13th guy but I think 1 of the 3 i mentioned would be perfect. Will be a great experience for them.

Hall has a huge heart and compete level. It's time to groom him as a team Canada regular.

On D, I put the more offensive RD's on the left side.
Subban is a guy that needs to be on this team (homerism aside). His speed, skating and puck carrying are perfect for the big ice.
Hamhuis has a lot of WC experience and is an LD so he fits perfectly as a number 7.

A lot can change next year but I like this lineup. I think the D and Goalie positions will become clearer next year.

Picaroon is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 02:35 PM
  #74
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I mentioned this in another thread unrelated to the Sochi games, so I thought I may as well bring it up here. Noticed an interesting tweet today from an Ottawa based reporter. apparently one Ottawa d-man Methot has made quite an impression on the fine folks at Hockey Canada and is on their radar for the Sochi games. Marc freakin Methot... the 2 goal 9 pt + 2 defensive dynamo in now in Canada's group of top 12 d-men in the country. What more proof does one need to understand how utterly inept Hockey Canada is as an organization. I've had my fill just about of Hockey Canada incompetence for the past 3 years.
Well, that is pretty ridiculous. My thought is that they are attempting to motivate players to accept invitations to the WC this year. Methot has been a good soldier these last few years, so throwing this out there might just be their way of subtly saying that participation at that tournament counts when it comes to Olympics. I'm hoping they're just blowing smoke.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 03:09 PM
  #75
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Well, that is pretty ridiculous. My thought is that they are attempting to motivate players to accept invitations to the WC this year. Methot has been a good soldier these last few years, so throwing this out there might just be their way of subtly saying that participation at that tournament counts when it comes to Olympics. I'm hoping they're just blowing smoke.
I think there's more to it than that...and it all revolves around who pays the insurance premiums, the IOC or Hockey Canada. If the IOC refuses to cover the cost of ensuring NHL contracts, then I can very likely see HC cheaping out on a few player selections. We'll see what happens at this year's WHC...with the list of players who will potentially be available, young players in the running for Olympic spots, yet carry hefty contracts....I bet we are not going to see the team we expect.

Mr Writer is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.