HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13 ‎- Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
Mursak didn't get buried in the AHL. He was sent there because he never developed physically enough to survive the NHL game.

That's also the reason he couldn't stay healthy.

He isn't and was never an NHL calibre player and not a single NHL GM thought he was either, or they would have grabbed him when they had the chance to do so for absolutely nothing.

Maybe this will serve as a wake-up call to him and he'll get stronger, otherwise he'll be playing in Europe next year.
Jane is as wise as she is pretty. Mursak has the great misfortune of having not been born big boned and having the the general physical makeup of a gnat. He did everything he could to become an NHL'er and for that he is to be commended. Due to his physical limitations he has never been able to withstand the rigors of playing at the highest level of the game. It sucks but that's life.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:50 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
IMO, he didn't need last year in the AHL. At least not all of it.

Players do get hurt, developmentwise, by an extra year

Jan Mursak is an example of a guy buried in the AHL and then, when he finally got a shot - he got hurt - and he was essentially is ONE AND ONLY SHOT.

You'll see.
All you have to do is look at our roster, look to see who is signed for next year, and consider Kenny and Mike's track record.

Tatar won't start with the Wings next year. Book it.

A year ago, people thought it was absurd to suggest that Nyquist might not start this season with the Red Wings.

And yet there we were, with Nyquist in the AHL to start the season.

And even now, he's only playing because we've got three forwards injured -- or he'd be in the AHL
Hey, Holland likes his prospects over-ripened. Wait till they're out of options or 33 years old, that's his motto. Old guys give them some good hockey.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:56 PM
MBauer

Jack Campbell really stood on his head against the Griffins, they played extremely well through 2, they looked quite exhausted by the third, but that is a guarantee after playing 3 games in 3 nights.

I think they play again on Tuesday, should be interesting as Nyquist will likely be back down, I know they will probably keep Sheahan on the first line but i would like to see these lines.

Tatar - Jarnkrok - Nyquist
Ferraro - Sheahan - Jurco
Hoggan - Glendening - Mursak
Pare - Raedeke/Aubry - Callahan

or

Pare - Sheahan - Nyquist
Tatar - Jarnkrok - Jurco
Hoggan - Ferraro - Mursak
Grant - Glendening - Callahan

That is some serious depth. Next year will be crazy for GR, maybe a few guys get promoted to the Wings but there are quite a few coming in.

Last edited by MBauer: 03-30-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old
03-30-2013, 10:55 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Mursak didn't get buried in the AHL. He was sent there because he never developed physically enough to survive the NHL game.

That's also the reason he couldn't stay healthy.

He isn't and was never an NHL calibre player and not a single NHL GM thought he was either, or they would have grabbed him when they had the chance to do so for absolutely nothing.

Maybe this will serve as a wake-up call to him and he'll get stronger, otherwise he'll be playing in Europe next year.
Mursak totally got buried in the NHL.
he should have been playing a depth role for the Wings in 2010-11 after his 24 goal season on a terrible Griffin's squad.

Getting injured on a hit by David Backes isn't a sign of being underdeveloped.

You just towing the company line. Mursak is a strong player at 5'11 190 pounds. he's got great wheels, good hands and a good shot.

The only ones in this mix who needs a wake up call is Ken Holland and Mike Babcock.
They're potentially chasing Tatar out of Detroit.

It's mind boggling. He played GREAT in limited minutes. Despite playing with offensively challenged linemates, Tatar produced at the rate like Zetterberg, Flip, Brunner and Franzen.

He made things happen. He looked even better than he looked in the preseason 17 months ago or the World Championships.

This is a kid who is BEYOND ready.

I don't know about you. But when I feel like my employer doesn't allow me to use my skill to perform at the right level, I look for a new employer.

And I think Tatar is probably weighing his options right now.
Tatar is now not only behind Nyquist, despite being younger and better than him, he's behind Andersson, despite being younger and better than him.

He's actually losing ground.

Tatar's not stupid. He can look at the roster and see what's in the cards.
There are 12 Red Wings on the roster right now who are signed or who are RFAs (Andersson/Nyquist).
Then you add Brunner. You're at 13 now.

If Flip comes back, you're at 14.

That mean's Tatar's in the AHL again.

We're a franchise that's rebuilding without rebuilding -- despite having most young talent we've had in 20 years.

All you gotta do is go back to our opening night lineup to see where this team's priorities are.

No Tatar. No Nyquist. No Andersson. No Kindl.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:08 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Mursak totally got buried in the NHL.
he should have been playing a depth role for the Wings in 2010-11 after his 24 goal season on a terrible Griffin's squad.

Getting injured on a hit by David Backes isn't a sign of being underdeveloped.

You just towing the company line. Mursak is a strong player at 5'11 190 pounds. he's got great wheels, good hands and a good shot.

The only ones in this mix who needs a wake up call is Ken Holland and Mike Babcock.
They're potentially chasing Tatar out of Detroit.

It's mind boggling. He played GREAT in limited minutes. Despite playing with offensively challenged linemates, Tatar produced at the rate like Zetterberg, Flip, Brunner and Franzen.

He made things happen. He looked even better than he looked in the preseason 17 months ago or the World Championships.

This is a kid who is BEYOND ready.

I don't know about you. But when I feel like my employer doesn't allow me to use my skill to perform at the right level, I look for a new employer.

And I think Tatar is probably weighing his options right now.
Tatar is now not only behind Nyquist, despite being younger and better than him, he's behind Andersson, despite being younger and better than him.

He's actually losing ground.

Tatar's not stupid. He can look at the roster and see what's in the cards.
There are 12 Red Wings on the roster right now who are signed or who are RFAs (Andersson/Nyquist).
Then you add Brunner. You're at 13 now.

If Flip comes back, you're at 14.

That mean's Tatar's in the AHL again.

We're a franchise that's rebuilding without rebuilding -- despite having most young talent we've had in 20 years.

All you gotta do is go back to our opening night lineup to see where this team's priorities are.

No Tatar. No Nyquist. No Andersson. No Kindl.
If Mursak was viewed by any GM in the entire NHL like you see him he'd be still in the NHL right now.

The fact is nobody wants him...not even for no assets whatsoever, while on a league minimum salary that expires at the end of this season. He was literally as risk free of a waiver pick up as physically possible and still nobody wanted him.

The rest of your post is completely irrelevant to my post. I didn't express an opinion one way or the other on the Wings handling of prospects in general, and I definitely didn't mention Tatar.. I simply took issue with the idea that somehow the Wings are preventing Mursak from reaching a level of potential that only you and a slovenian fan club seem to see. He was never good enough to stick in the NHL, not even close.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:45 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Tatar has been pretty bad since going back. He can be upset or whatever, but he needs to start playing better hockey in Grand Rapids to help prove his point.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Tatar has been pretty bad since going back. He can be upset or whatever, but he needs to start playing better hockey in Grand Rapids to help prove his point.
It seems like the team as a whole has been slumping. Well, except that Mursak line lately.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:15 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
He proved his point in Detroit. And Detroit didn't notice.
He can prove his point in the KHL next year

Old
03-31-2013, 12:17 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
If Mursak was viewed by any GM in the entire NHL like you see him he'd be still in the NHL right now.

The fact is nobody wants him...not even for no assets whatsoever, while on a league minimum salary that expires at the end of this season. He was literally as risk free of a waiver pick up as physically possible and still nobody wanted him.

The rest of your post is completely irrelevant to my post. I didn't express an opinion one way or the other on the Wings handling of prospects in general, and I definitely didn't mention Tatar.. I simply took issue with the idea that somehow the Wings are preventing Mursak from reaching a level of potential that only you and a slovenian fan club seem to see. He was never good enough to stick in the NHL, not even close.
Right. And we got Drew Miller off waivers. Which probably means the rest of the NHL's gms didn't want him. And he's playing on Zetterberg's line.

All 29 GMs could have drafted or signed Brunner. I guess that means he sucks too, right?

Jussi Jokinen is a better forward than many forwards currently on teams in the NHL, yet nobody took him.

But keep making excuses for the organization that players BUMS like Cleary and Miller with Zetterberg and Abdelkader with Datsyuk -- as talented youngsters ROT (AKA overripen) in the AHL.

It makes you look even sillier when you make dumb comments about the Slovenian fan club,

Ken Holland/Mike Babcock have done a remarkably bad job establishing draft picks in the NHL over the last 6-7 years.

Since the 05 draft, how many Red Wings draft picks who were developed in Detroit's organization are established NHLers?

Established
Abdelkader - 4th liner
Helm - 3rd/4th l;iner
Bubble
Kindl - Was playing behind Lashoff and the 8th defenseman on this team at one point this year
Emmerton -- 4th liner, but established? I don't think so.
Past Ripe
Andersson - Getting some opportunity
Nyquist - heading back down to GR, likely
Tatar- Rotting in GR
Smith - Finally getting an opportunity this year at 24 years old
Past Expiration Date
Mursak
Axelsson
Ritola
Larsson

In general, the Wings are a year too late on every prospect.

Last edited by RedWingsNow*: 03-31-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old
03-31-2013, 12:20 AM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Right. And we got Drew Miller off waivers. Which probably means the rest of the NHL's gms didn't want him. And he's playing on Zetterberg's line.

All 29 GMs could have drafted or signed Brunner. I guess that means he sucks too, right?

Great logic.
I get your point and I somewhat agree with you but the Brunner case is not a good example at all.
Many GMs tried to sign Brunner, IIRC Minny offered him a contract a year before he signed with us, and when he signed didn't he have something like 6-7 other offers.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:39 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
The difference is that only 14 teams passed on Miller before Detroit claimed him. So at least one GM thought he was an NHL hockey player. None of the 30 NHL GM's think the same of Mursak.

Quote:
As pointed out by someone already, many teams did want to sign Brunner. If the Wings had to put him through waivers like they did with Nabokov he'd be playing in the NHL there, because he's an NHL calibre player...unlike Mursak.

Quote:
Jussi Jokinen is a better forward than many forwards currently on teams in the NHL, yet nobody took him.
He also comes with a cap hit of 3 million a season and an extra year on his deal. He wasn't passed over because he wasn't an NHL player, he was passed over because no GM's thought he was worth his cap hit. Mursak would have been essentially a try out for any team, he makes the league minimum and is a FA at the end of the year. There is absolutely no risk to claiming him and still no takers.

Quote:
But keep making excuses for the organization that players BUMS like Cleary and Miller with Zetterberg and Abdelkader with Datsyuk -- as talented youngsters ROT (AKA overripen) in the AHL

It makes you look even sillier when you make dumb comments about the Slovenian fan club,
Silly is trying to assign an opinion to me that I didn't take. I've said nothing about the Red Wings development system or the way they play their roster.

I'm discussing Jan Mursak only, and the fact that he was not mishandled, he is simply not good enough to play in the NHL. At least no GM in the league thinks so.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:58 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Many teams did want to sign Brunner when he was 26. I think CB's point is that everyone in the league could have signed him for years up until then but no one wanted him.

People do fall through the cracks. Look at Cory Conacher. Kid went undrafted then had to try out for mutiple AHL clubs. Then he went on to light up the AHL, and now he is doing the same in the NHL. Players like St. Louis and Rafalski fell through the cracks as well. No one wanted these guys when they were younger.

Now I don't think this will be the case with Mursak, don't get me wrong. But some players are late bloomers so I wouldn't be shocked if Mursak turned into an NHL player down the line. Even if he ended up a good one.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:14 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Many teams did want to sign Brunner when he was 26. I think CB's point is that everyone in the league could have signed him for years up until then but no one wanted him.

People do fall through the cracks. Look at Cory Conacher. Kid went undrafted then had to try out for mutiple AHL clubs. Then he went on to light up the AHL, and now he is doing the same in the NHL. Players like St. Louis and Rafalski fell through the cracks as well. No one wanted these guys when they were younger.

Now I don't think this will be the case with Mursak, don't get me wrong. But some players are late bloomers so I wouldn't be shocked if Mursak turned into an NHL player down the line. Even if he ended up a good one.
I'm not saying Mursak can't turn into an NHL player down the road. Just that he isn't one right now.

My original comment was that he needs to get stronger to stick in the league and hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call for him.

Damien Brunner went through the same thing when he was younger, he wasn't strong enough even for the Swiss league, but he worked his ass off under Shedden and turned some heads.

I hope Mursak can do the same. I just don't agree with the notion that he's only in the AHL because Detroit didn't give him an NHL spot sooner.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:57 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
He proved his point in Detroit. And Detroit didn't notice.
He can prove his point in the KHL next year
Can't go there. One more year in his contract.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:04 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post

My point is that Holland and Babcock have a veteran fetish. And that this silly business about developing prospects until they are overripe has more to do with how Babcock uses veterans and Kenny's famous two-year extensions

So young players, if they ever get their shot, get very little opportunity to make their case.

This isn't all on Holland. A lot of this has to do with how Babcock employs kids.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:06 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Can't go there. One more year in his contract.
Don't be so sure.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:48 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Don't be so sure.
I don't see why KHL and NHL wouldn't continue with transfer agreement. Esp. Sochi Olympics coming.

If no transfer agreement in place, yeah it's possible.

Otherwise it isn't. Not for next season.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:52 AM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
My point is that Holland and Babcock have a veteran fetish. And that this silly business about developing prospects until they are overripe has more to do with how Babcock uses veterans and Kenny's famous two-year extensions

So young players, if they ever get their shot, get very little opportunity to make their case.

This isn't all on Holland. A lot of this has to do with how Babcock employs kids.
I have a hard time not blaming Holland when he turns to the scrap heap in the summer instead of promoting prospects. I'm sick of it. There are guys in our system better than the leftovers he finds, but it's all about going with known commodities and just getting in.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:

Well if that's what you're saying then I'm with you. My old username was gowings4013, so I've been saying that since I joined in 2010. I used to get flamed for it all the time.

I think the problem mostly roots from how many forwards we have under contract. Which is terrible roster planning due to Kenny being too generous to guys like Bert and Sammy. 3 of our top 6 forwards are 32, 33, and 34 years old. When you consider the fact that Flip may walk this summer it's pretty bad that no one is up playing with the big club getting experience to take one of these spots eventually. If we are down Filppula and Datsyuk by 2014-2015, we are going to be hurting for a top 6 forward. If Tatar has not played a full season in the NHL yet then that is pretty terrible planning. Nyquist ideally should have more games played than he will by then as well.

The fact that both Tatar and Nyquist are in the A is dumb, and the fact that 1 of them will start there next year as well is even more dumb. I'm a huge Nyquist fan-boy but Tatar is exactly what our bottom 6 needs right now. I've just accepted the situation for what it is right now, but I think it will bite us in the ass in 2 years. I guess we'll see.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:04 AM
cupforwings09

Quote:

But keep making excuses for the organization that players BUMS like Cleary and Miller with Zetterberg and Abdelkader with Datsyuk -- as talented youngsters ROT (AKA overripen) in the AHL.

Ken Holland/Mike Babcock have done a remarkably bad job establishing draft picks in the NHL over the last 6-7 years.

Since the 05 draft, how many Red Wings draft picks who were developed in Detroit's organization are established NHLers?

Established
Abdelkader - 4th liner
Helm - 3rd/4th l;iner
Bubble
Kindl - Was playing behind Lashoff and the 8th defenseman on this team at one point this year
Emmerton -- 4th liner, but established? I don't think so.
Past Ripe
Andersson - Getting some opportunity
Nyquist - heading back down to GR, likely
Tatar- Rotting in GR
Smith - Finally getting an opportunity this year at 24 years old
Past Expiration Date
Mursak
Axelsson
Ritola
Larsson

In general, the Wings are a year too late on every prospect.
You talk like you know more about running/building an NHL team then Holland LOL. Just because these players never made it in the NHL doesn't mean they are overripe. That is ridiculous. It means they just weren't good enough to be in the NHL.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Filppula
Jurks

I can't believe so many people think Mursak is so injury prone. Got pushed into the boards while flying against Chicago in a PS game, then got smashed by Backes. More bad luck than anything. That's why I find it hard to swallow all these posts suggesting he gets injured like every time he steps onto the ice.

I know many have seen this but seriously...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eMPq...e_gdata_player

He's got 3+8 in 15 games this season, and he's got the BEST +/- on the team in 15 games. He's actually very responsible defensively. Obviously great wheels, and a shot he IMO has lost confidence in but is good.

Should've been given way more of a go.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:39 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
I can't believe so many people think Mursak is so injury prone. Got pushed into the boards while flying against Chicago in a PS game, then got smashed by Backes. More bad luck than anything. That's why I find it hard to swallow all these posts suggesting he gets injured like every time he steps onto the ice.

I know many have seen this but seriously...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eMPq...e_gdata_player

He's got 3+8 in 15 games this season, and he's got the BEST +/- on the team in 15 games. He's actually very responsible defensively. Obviously great wheels, and a shot he IMO has lost confidence in but is good.

Should've been given way more of a go.
He'll be an UFA in the summer summer, so we're about to find out if Detroit made a mistake or not. Personally I see a career minor league scorer.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
He'll be an UFA in the summer summer, so we're about to find out if Detroit made a mistake or not. Personally I see a career minor league scorer.
I think he could play in the league, but don't know that he will get a chance. What I see is a guy that will be in the top 10 in KHL scoring soon and back stateside after that for another chance, if he is still interested at that point, or he can make big bucks in Russia. It will be a shame it didn't work out here. But he is a pretty good player and real good on international ice. A lot of people will be fascinated by him as he and Kopitar put up offensive numbers while getting beaten in the Olympics.

Old
03-31-2013, 05:51 PM
fetalposition

Not sure how people think he was given a chance, jan played a few games on the fourth line, hardly enough to judge him, agreeing with Cb here. Cupforwings if you really think that tatar and nyquist arent better than close to half the forwards up right now....then you must be mike babcock.

Old
03-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetalposition View Post
Not sure how people think he was given a chance, jan played a few games on the fourth line, hardly enough to judge him, agreeing with Cb here. Cupforwings if you really think that tatar and nyquist arent better than close to half the forwards up right now....then you must be mike babcock.
I'm very confident Babcock didn't send Tatar back down to Grand Rapids. And let's be real: he's the only one out of the three who's performed at the NHL level. I've got no problem admitting I didn't think Tatar would be our best prospect, but right now he's up there with Smith as the two prospects who are ready for NHL action. Tough to make the case that Mursak and Nyquist were contributors at the NHL level. Sorry if that hurts some people's feelings.

Closed Thread