HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 11:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I stopped reading when #1 wasn't Bryzgalov. If he doesn't have the MVP of the Flyers 1st overall, than he's a moron who knows nothing about goaltending

Seriously though, how do you justify putting Price @ #4? Am I missing something about Price, or is he yet another goalie who got massively overpaid based on one very strong season?

Am I the only one who thinks he's massively overrated and overpaid?
He's like 24 and really never had any talent in front of him. I know this year they're doing well but I'm still not convinced they're as good as their record says.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:24 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
He's had some good seasons and has the pedigree to become the best in the league. Goaltending is at a premium so I don't think he's overpaid.
I also think he belongs on that list, even though I wouldn't necessarily agree that he can become the best in the league. Personally, I was surprised with Miller and Brodeur making it.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
simmonds skates kinda awkward too. he a tough bastid tho. he's young.
I can't figure Simmonds' skating. He'll look weird for a while, then he'll suddenly pull a bunch of slick crap to get through some defenders, pass the puck, and sneak to the net. He can be Jeff Skinner when he needs to.

03-30-2013, 06:57 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
He's had some good seasons and has the pedigree to become the best in the league. Goaltending is at a premium so I don't think he's overpaid.
Well first off, I disagree that he has the pedigree to be the best. He's not going to be passing Hank or Rinne anytime soon. I think he "could" be a top 5 goalie one day, but that time isn't now (as Melrose suggests by ranking him #4 overall).

I understand that he's "only" 25, but he was given the 3rd most expensive goalie contract in the NHL and the worst part is, that contract included buying out 2 of his RFA years. I think the "youth" excuse kind of goes out the window when you get paid like you're a veteran.

On the basis of his play alone, isn't he overpaid? He's had one season where he was in the top 10 of save % and GAA and it was a great season, one where he deserved a Vezina nomination, but the rest of his years as a starter have been less than stellar, including these last two years (12-13 and 11-12) where Montreal's D has actually played fairly well and limited opponents' shots on goal.

When I look at the body of his work as a whole, I don't see where anyone can suggest he's as valuable as Montreal fans regularly do on the trade boards (asking for Giroux, Tavares, etc. as potential returns for Price). If anything, right now I look at Price as a massive risk to have on your team, he's paid like he's one of the best 3 goalies in the league but he's not really even close to performing at that level.

I guess it's just me though. I'm not saying I wouldn't take him on the Flyers given our dreadful luck finding a good goalie, just saying he's overrated (he's not a top 5 goalie in the NHL) and he's overpaid (he's paid like a top 3 goalie in the NHL).

Old
03-30-2013, 08:39 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Well first off, I disagree that he has the pedigree to be the best. He's not going to be passing Hank or Rinne anytime soon. I think he "could" be a top 5 goalie one day, but that time isn't now (as Melrose suggests by ranking him #4 overall).

I understand that he's "only" 25, but he was given the 3rd most expensive goalie contract in the NHL and the worst part is, that contract included buying out 2 of his RFA years. I think the "youth" excuse kind of goes out the window when you get paid like you're a veteran.

On the basis of his play alone, isn't he overpaid? He's had one season where he was in the top 10 of save % and GAA and it was a great season, one where he deserved a Vezina nomination, but the rest of his years as a starter have been less than stellar, including these last two years (12-13 and 11-12) where Montreal's D has actually played fairly well and limited opponents' shots on goal.

When I look at the body of his work as a whole, I don't see where anyone can suggest he's as valuable as Montreal fans regularly do on the trade boards (asking for Giroux, Tavares, etc. as potential returns for Price). If anything, right now I look at Price as a massive risk to have on your team, he's paid like he's one of the best 3 goalies in the league but he's not really even close to performing at that level.

I guess it's just me though. I'm not saying I wouldn't take him on the Flyers given our dreadful luck finding a good goalie, just saying he's overrated (he's not a top 5 goalie in the NHL) and he's overpaid (he's paid like a top 3 goalie in the NHL).
That's a fair assessment. I guess I just think highly of him due to performances I've seen, and given his youth, I could see him becoming the best in the league.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:15 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

every time I learn BOB starts a game or plays well a piece of me dies inside.... Too bad Snider pulled the trigger to get a 'world class' goalie in here. BOB would have melded perfect with this lineup.

/rant

Old
03-30-2013, 10:23 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I can't figure Simmonds' skating. He'll look weird for a while, then he'll suddenly pull a bunch of slick crap to get through some defenders, pass the puck, and sneak to the net. He can be Jeff Skinner when he needs to.
yea. it is weird. he looks like is legs are outta his control sometimes. like he's fighting to stay balanced. its kinda funny. but when he gets goin he's fast. i just always look at him and think how the hell did that skating get him to the NHL? i just mean the form he uses. i know he belongs here its just funny.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:17 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 847
Stamped: March 30, 2013.

Quote:
"I don't think Bryzgalov has been the problem ... I think it's the team. I think we're fine in goal."
From Ed Snider. Prior to today's game, per Randy Miller.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:59 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

Snider's an idiot.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:08 PM
snoop88

been saying for years, this team will never win the Cup until Snider croaks/sells the team

The guy is a curse on this franchise. 38 years without a Cup. Senile old *******

Old
03-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

If he doesn't think Bryz is part of the problem, Snider is truly a moron. If Snider wants a cup before he passes, he'll buy-out Bryz. There's no way the Flyers will win the cup with Bryz in net.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
If he doesn't think Bryz is part of the problem, Snider is truly a moron. If Snider wants a cup before he passes, he'll buy-out Bryz. There's no way the Flyers will win the cup with Bryz in net.
Do you really expect him to come out say the guy sucks when he's still employing him?

I'm still thinking he gets bought out next summer regardless of his play. I just don't think Snider will willingly admit to the media he F'd up on that signing and that's why you get comments like the ones today.

Old
03-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Bernie 1 Parent

Bryz needs to be bought out. A cheaper goalie needs to be brought in that can thrive under a more defensive system with a new coach.

You can't trade the entire team away so we better be able to find a coach that can run a system that plays to the strengths of Coburn, Grossman and L. Schenn

Old
03-30-2013, 05:33 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Snider's an idiot.
He's suffering from al Davis syndrome.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull:

Bryz declines talking to media

good.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Everyone has either Lundqvist or Rinne 1st except Melrose? He puts Rinne 7th and Lundqvist isn't even on his list. I disagree with his list.
Not having Lundqvist on there makes the list worthless.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Not having Lundqvist on there makes the list worthless.
I was thinking same thing when I saw Fleury's name actually on it.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Do you really expect him to come out say the guy sucks when he's still employing him?

I'm still thinking he gets bought out next summer regardless of his play. I just don't think Snider will willingly admit to the media he F'd up on that signing and that's why you get comments like the ones today.
Haha, yeah I was gonna add that: What else would Snider say; but I thought it was kinda a gimme.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:57 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

Normally I'd agree with you, but given his rather "candid" comments about Lavi and saying that was 100% Homer's decision, it was kind of curious that he chose to respond so strongly about Bryz. I would've expected a similar "talk to Homer" type answer, rather than unquestionably supporting him and putting it at the feet of the defense.

In the end, you may be right and he may just be saying these things about Bryz to keep the peace and because Bryz might be back next year even if the eventual plan is a buyout... But it was definitely weird to say what he did about Lavi if his plan was peacekeeping... why not just say Lavi is safe for now? Why specifically say Homer will be the GM followed by implying Lavi is on the hot seat, followed by saying Bryz hasn't been the problem?

Old
03-31-2013, 12:19 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Normally I'd agree with you, but given his rather "candid" comments about Lavi and saying that was 100% Homer's decision, it was kind of curious that he chose to respond so strongly about Bryz. I would've expected a similar "talk to Homer" type answer, rather than unquestionably supporting him and putting it at the feet of the defense.

In the end, you may be right and he may just be saying these things about Bryz to keep the peace and because Bryz might be back next year even if the eventual plan is a buyout... But it was definitely weird to say what he did about Lavi if his plan was peacekeeping... why not just say Lavi is safe for now? Why specifically say Homer will be the GM followed by implying Lavi is on the hot seat, followed by saying Bryz hasn't been the problem?
I think Snider knows Lavi can handle the criticism and Bryz cannot. Plus Snider can fire Lavi and not look like an idiot. He can't really do that with Bryz. Snider has a lot riding on that contract he gave Bryz. I think these are words of encouragement since he has something to lose too if Bryz doesn't play well.

Who knows though I'm not expecting a buy-out this summer so I don't really care what Snider's saying right now. We'll see if he really means what he's saying now next summer when it comes time to make a decision. If he does end up doing it I won't expect him to say much to media about it. People with money and power like him don't like admitting when they're wrong.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:43 AM
Ryker

A really good game from Bryz today

Old
03-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
I think Snider knows Lavi can handle the criticism and Bryz cannot. Plus Snider can fire Lavi and not look like an idiot. He can't really do that with Bryz. Snider has a lot riding on that contract he gave Bryz. I think these are words of encouragement since he has something to lose too if Bryz doesn't play well.

Who knows though I'm not expecting a buy-out this summer so I don't really care what Snider's saying right now. We'll see if he really means what he's saying now next summer when it comes time to make a decision. If he does end up doing it I won't expect him to say much to media about it. People with money and power like him don't like admitting when they're wrong.
If he buys Bryz out in the 2014 offseason (when there will be a better crop of goalies available) he can frame it as being part of getting extra cap space to resign Giroux, Couturier, Read and B Schenn.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:25 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
If he buys Bryz out in the 2014 offseason (when there will be a better crop of goalies available) he can frame it as being part of getting extra cap space to resign Giroux, Couturier, Read and B Schenn.
that and there's no reason to get rid of him before summer 2014 unless we can get somebody else.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Would anyone here do Hartnell for bernier and a future 1st?

Old
03-31-2013, 10:19 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Would anyone here do Hartnell for bernier and a future 1st?
No and I am someone who wants to trade Hartnell.

Closed Thread