HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 01:50 AM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
could we be in for the all time NBC record on SUN?? CHI/DET play SUN and as it stands, CHI/DET game 1.5 months ago set a record.. however, the diff is that on SUN, there will be absolutely nothing on at same time. no nba, no ncaab either, till 3rd period. last time it broke the record, there were tons of ncaab games and a heat/nyk game featuring lebron.

I think the rating will come close to it and maybe even break it. 2 great teams and it's Easter Sunday and everyone will be indoors with their families. And it's a big old time rivalry game.

Can't wait to see the result.
It's Sunday, a lot of people will be visiting family and hence won't have the game on and a lot of people won't be at home, so the TV's won't be on period.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:15 AM
PatriceBergeronrules

It can be argued that in 2013 the Boston Bruins are now the second most popular team in the city behind the New England Patriots and it's not going to change anytime soon as the Celtics and Red Sox continue to trend downward:

"Boston Bruins games have averaged a 7.0 rating on NESN so far this season, on pace to shatter last year’s full-season record of 4.7. By comparison, the Celtics averaged a 3.1 on Comcast SportsNet New England during the first half of the NBA season, and the Red Sox averaged a 6.4* on NESN during the 2012 MLB campaign. (NESN)"

Another comparison, the game 7 cup final game against Vancouver had the exact same ratings locally as Patriots/Giants Super Bowl during the undefeated season and beat the Lakes/Celtics game 7 final.

The Bruins are also the most popular secondary market seller in the city.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Nicky Santoro

i always knew BOS was a great hockey town. how can you not be with a tradition of having ORR and ESPO on your team back then and winning back to back cups? It's like PIT not being hockey crazy with Lemieux and Jagr on your team, or having SID and Malkin on your team.

But no matter how great a ratings BOS is getting in hockey, i know for sure BOS is a major baseball town and love their red sox even more. last yr they got 6.4, just a tad less than bruins now, however, they really sucked and were never in it last yr. If they are even playing .530 ball this yr and all season are in the hunt for a wildcard, i bet they'll be averaging 10.0+ this yr.

They absolutely love their baseball and their sox in boston.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

The Pats are not the most popular team in Boston. if they are, it's only because they won super bowls.. The Red sox on the other hand have been loved up there since the beginning of time.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:49 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
could we be in for the all time NBC record on SUN?? CHI/DET play SUN and as it stands, CHI/DET game 1.5 months ago set a record.. however, the diff is that on SUN, there will be absolutely nothing on at same time. no nba, no ncaab either, till 3rd period. last time it broke the record, there were tons of ncaab games and a heat/nyk game featuring lebron.

I think the rating will come close to it and maybe even break it. 2 great teams and it's Easter Sunday and everyone will be indoors with their families. And it's a big old time rivalry game.

Can't wait to see the result.
The Hawks numbers locally aren't as astronomical as they were during the streak. Friday got a 5.5, they were in the 7s during the streak. Seems like some are tuning out until the playoffs.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
i always knew BOS was a great hockey town. how can you not be with a tradition of having ORR and ESPO on your team back then and winning back to back cups? It's like PIT not being hockey crazy with Lemieux and Jagr on your team, or having SID and Malkin on your team.

But no matter how great a ratings BOS is getting in hockey, i know for sure BOS is a major baseball town and love their red sox even more. last yr they got 6.4, just a tad less than bruins now, however, they really sucked and were never in it last yr. If they are even playing .530 ball this yr and all season are in the hunt for a wildcard, i bet they'll be averaging 10.0+ this yr.

They absolutely love their baseball and their sox in boston.
I doubt it. There's alot of hate going on with the Red Sox. They aren't going to get higher than a 4, outside of games playing the Yankees. After June, there ratings will be good. But until the NHL and NBA playoffs are over, the Red Sox won't be getting good ratings. They can't even sell tickets right now.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:41 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

It's just amazing how a market as large as Boston can pull 7s and 10s for non-football sports. You normally only see ratings like that in smaller, more focused markets like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, or OKC. Bostonians truly love their sports...

Old
03-31-2013, 10:48 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
It's just amazing how a market as large as Boston can pull 7s and 10s for non-football sports. You normally only see ratings like that in smaller, more focused markets like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, or OKC. Bostonians truly love their sports...
Compared to an NYC or LA, Boston is a very "local" city with a clearly defined identity. Only one team per sport, all of them with a long and prestigious history, and most of the people walking down the street are actually from Boston. It's probably one of the best places to be the team du jour.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Heyoooo*

Philly, Boston and Chicago are the top three sports cities, although id give Chicago the edge because of the college sport angle.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Nicky Santoro

oh and i also forgot to mention. not only no NBA or NCAAB.. but also, unlike 1 month ago, NO mlb (grapefruit) either. so basically, only NHL on NBC is the only sports show in america. So your sports junkies will tune in, too...However, this 3-0 early lead is not good. if chi make it 5-0, ppl will turn the channel. we need DET to score the next 2 and cut the lead to 3-2.. or at least get the next goal for sure. but at least we're seeing goals and not a 0-0 boring game. if DET come back, i can see a very very good rating for this game on NBC.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Zippy316

Any news on whether the Devils are maintaining their early season success?

Old
03-31-2013, 03:09 PM
2mannings1cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceBergeronrules View Post
It can be argued that in 2013 the Boston Bruins are now the second most popular team in the city behind the New England Patriots and it's not going to change anytime soon as the Celtics and Red Sox continue to trend downward:

"Boston Bruins games have averaged a 7.0 rating on NESN so far this season, on pace to shatter last year’s full-season record of 4.7. By comparison, the Celtics averaged a 3.1 on Comcast SportsNet New England during the first half of the NBA season, and the Red Sox averaged a 6.4* on NESN during the 2012 MLB campaign. (NESN)"

Another comparison, the game 7 cup final game against Vancouver had the exact same ratings locally as Patriots/Giants Super Bowl during the undefeated season and beat the Lakes/Celtics game 7 final.

Nope. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ngs-on-record/

Game 7- 43.4

2008 Super Bowl- 55.6

Old
03-31-2013, 03:36 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mannings1cup View Post
Nope. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ngs-on-record/

Game 7- 43.4

2008 Super Bowl- 55.6
Still, that's remarkably close considering you're comparing a Super Bowl with NYC connections to one game in a 7-game series against Vancouver.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:34 PM
MartysBetterThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Any news on whether the Devils are maintaining their early season success?
Scott Lepore wrote an article about NHL ratings last week that mentioned that the Devils have the biggest jump in ratings compared to last year (a 205% increase) and are averaging a .55 in the NYC market (this seems low, but keep in mind NJ only makes up about 1/4 of the TV households in the market). I am not sure how many actual viewers this amounts to but I believe it puts NJ firmly in the middle of the pack in the NHL. A marked improvement over the bottom-feeder it used to be. This is coupled with NJ finally selling out almost all of its games, showing a genuine uptick in interest since the cup run last year.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore

Quote:
Blackhawks-Red Wings, remarkably, managed to draw a 1.0 yesterday. Really thought the blowout would force those ratings far lower.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Nicky Santoro

IU,

I thought for sure the 1.0 would be deceiving, but if you like it, then it must be good because you know this stuff better than me. It's just that the last time they met on nbc, there was a NYK/Lebron game on ABC and lots of other sports stuff, whereas this time, there was NOTHING at all on. So they got only half as much this time, which is why i thought this rating wasn't impressive.

I know for sure alot switched in the 3rd period to march madness elite 8 because it was a blowout by then. but is there anyway we can find out what it peaked at? i'm sure in the 1st period when it was only 3-0 that it might have peaked at 1.3.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:02 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Sorry, my reports don't show those for broadcast channels, only does it for cable and by market by broadcast station.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceBergeronrules View Post

That's crazy. Good to hear.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:19 AM
joelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
Scott Lepore wrote an article about NHL ratings last week that mentioned that the Devils have the biggest jump in ratings compared to last year (a 205% increase) and are averaging a .55 in the NYC market (this seems low, but keep in mind NJ only makes up about 1/4 of the TV households in the market). I am not sure how many actual viewers this amounts to but I believe it puts NJ firmly in the middle of the pack in the NHL. A marked improvement over the bottom-feeder it used to be. This is coupled with NJ finally selling out almost all of its games, showing a genuine uptick in interest since the cup run last year.
It also helps that there new arena is an urban area and not in the middle of a swamp.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Nicky Santoro

tonight, Bos is home to NJ and it's Jagr's 1st game as a bruin. at the same time, Red Sox are going for the sweep vs NYY. i am so curious to see who will get a bigger rating. the bruins, who are averaging 7.0+ this yr, OR the beloved Sox going for the sweep vs their arch rivals. this one should be interesting. anyone wanna take a stab at this one. i'd have to put the sox as the favorite to beat the bruins only because it's the NYY and they're going for the sweep.

sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this, but does anyone know if there's a website, just like HFboards, but for baseball local tv ratings? i am so curious to find out who will get the bigger rating tomorrow, even though deep in my heart, i know it'll be the red sox. but is there a site that i can find out the baseball ratings? i'd love to see teams like the pirates vs Pens, red sox vs bruins, twins vs wild, flyers vs phillies, and many more...thanks.

Prediction tonight....

Red Sox 8.6
Bruins 5.7

Old
04-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
The Mets, Yankees, Knicks, Nets, and Rangers were all playing at the same time. I'd love to see what the ratings for this looked like.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Old
04-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
The Mets, Yankees, Knicks, Nets, and Rangers were all playing at the same time. I'd love to see what the ratings for this looked like.
great call, parker. i thought of this too last night. That's gotta suck for hockey. lets hope this never happens again for awhile. And this happened on the greatest night of the yr for the NYR and tons of goals for them too, which has been rare...It must've been great last night to be a new yorker.

prediction.

NYK 3.2
NYY 2.7
NYM 2.0
NETS 0.6
NYR 0.4

I'd love to know also. there has to be a site like this, but for baseball, that tells you a ton of local tv ratings.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
great call, parker. i thought of this too last night. That's gotta suck for hockey. lets hope this never happens again for awhile. And this happened on the greatest night of the yr for the NYR and tons of goals for them too, which has been rare...It must've been great last night to be a new yorker.

prediction.

NYK 3.2
NYY 2.7
NYM 2.0
NETS 0.6
NYR 0.4

I'd love to know also. there has to be a site like this, but for baseball, that tells you a ton of local tv ratings.
I'm not sure of any sites, except for tvbythenumbers.com but they rarely post sporting events unless it's a huge game. Here's my prediction:

NYY
NYM
NYK
NYR
BKN

I don't have a prediction with the numbers, so I'm just predicting what order they come in.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Azkals

• Root Sports Pittsburgh's broadcast of the Penguins-Buffalo game Tuesday generated a 15.01 rating, according to Nielsen Media Research. About 450,300 local television viewers tuned into the broadcast, which was the eighth-highest rated Penguins regular-season game in Root Sports Pittsburgh history.

• Root Sports Pittsburgh set a ratings record for its Saturday broadcast of the Penguins-Islanders game. The matinee generated a 16.6 rating, as reported by Nielsen Media Research. Fourteen of the top 20 highest-rated regular-season Penguins games on Root Sports have occurred this season.

via Trib

Old
04-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
• Root Sports Pittsburgh's broadcast of the Penguins-Buffalo game Tuesday generated a 15.01 rating, according to Nielsen Media Research. About 450,300 local television viewers tuned into the broadcast, which was the eighth-highest rated Penguins regular-season game in Root Sports Pittsburgh history.

• Root Sports Pittsburgh set a ratings record for its Saturday broadcast of the Penguins-Islanders game. The matinee generated a 16.6 rating, as reported by Nielsen Media Research. Fourteen of the top 20 highest-rated regular-season Penguins games on Root Sports have occurred this season.

via Trib
how amazing is that? those are NFL #'s. no nba or mlb teams ever come close to that. and that pens/sabres 15.01 rating didn't even have crosby playing and they were never in it. i am wondering that if pit could pull 16's in the reg season, just how much will they pull in if they make it to the final game of the stanley cup?? 34.4?? 47.3?? 59.2??? UNREAL.. I tip my hat to this city..

Closed Thread