HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

View Poll Results: Besides the Big 3 who would you want the Avs to draft?
Barkov 58 44.62%
Erne 1 0.77%
Lindholm 23 17.69%
Monahan 6 4.62%
Nichushkin 16 12.31%
Nurse 9 6.92%
Pulock 2 1.54%
Ristolainen 3 2.31%
Shinkaruk 6 4.62%
Wennberg 2 1.54%
Zadorov 1 0.77%
OTHER 3 2.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2013, 05:20 PM
  #76
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,311
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
It's actually a big 4 but Barkov gets unfairly left out off most talks since he plays in Europe and the fans don't watch him play as much as the other three.
I doubt that's the reason, he was considered to be battling Nathan for 1st overall before the season started and many Euro's have been drafted high before while receiving insane hype. IIRC Bender here said that Barkov would fall off and sure enough he has. Hats off to you Bendy.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 05:21 PM
  #77
AslanRH
Part of the Plan
 
AslanRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,241
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I think it's possible they could squeeze some value out of Philly in the 4th spot. They are pretty set at forward, and have been coveting a young stud D for years, especially after Pronger got hurt.

Not sure how I feel about giving up Jones though.

I think their return would have to be something like Coburn + 2nd + something good. The value between a 1st overall and a 4th overall is fairly high. I wonder though if the Avs add to the 1st, and take out Philly's 2nd, if they could get Couturier + Coburn and the 1st. They seem to be willing to move Couturier for a D, but that might be too much.
I'd move jones if that was the difference in say a high 2nd and a player like Ennis, or especially a Couturier.

__________________
"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
AslanRH is online now  
Old
03-30-2013, 05:24 PM
  #78
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
For me Barkov is a clear cut better player than Lindholm and he's just the type of a player Avs love, a strong two way centreman with insane drive to get better.
For me its the opposite. I think Lindholm is a clear cut better player then Barkov. The way Lindholm uses his speed and body to protect the puck down low on offense reminds me a lot of Forsberg. And he has a solid Offensive IQ to find players that are open.

I haven't seen much of him on the defensive side, but from what I had read Lindholm has a pretty good 2 way game too.

Barkov just doesn't have elite potential IMO, he's sorta like what Landeskog was pegged as in his draft year IMO. He'll be at least a #2C in the NHL, and likely a #1, but he doesn't have that superstar Top 10 Center potential.

Lindholm, Drouin, Jones, and probably Mackinnon all have that potential. So Im hoping the Avs take a slight risk and go for the potential home run guys.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now  
Old
03-30-2013, 05:30 PM
  #79
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
I doubt that's the reason, he was considered to be battling Nathan for 1st overall before the season started and many Euro's have been drafted high before while receiving insane hype. IIRC Bender here said that Barkov would fall off and sure enough he has. Hats off to you Bendy.
FEL is around the same level league as AHL, maybe little better.

How high would go 63, over 200 lbs Canadian C who plays in every situation in AHL for his team, is almost ppg while being one of the best defensive players and youngest draftees?

And sometimes during the season plays against NHLers like Korpikoski or M. Koivu. And the kid plays better.

And for a stretch of 20 games Jannik Hansen comes to play on same line with this kid. And kid looks better.

That's basically Sasha Barkov.


Last edited by InjuredChoker: 03-30-2013 at 05:37 PM.
InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 05:32 PM
  #80
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,750
vCash: 239
Barkov versus Lindholm is similar to the Toews versus Backstrom discussions, in the end the result will be the same. Barkov > Lindholm, just like Toews > Backstrom.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now  
Old
03-30-2013, 05:41 PM
  #81
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,116
vCash: 50
I would take Barkov over Lindholm 10000000000 out of 10 times, but I have seen Barkov much more than Elias.

S E P H is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 05:42 PM
  #82
Oan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
I doubt that's the reason, he was considered to be battling Nathan for 1st overall before the season started and many Euro's have been drafted high before while receiving insane hype. IIRC Bender here said that Barkov would fall off and sure enough he has. Hats off to you Bendy.
Most people have Barkov now at 4th, I wouldn't exactly call that falling off. And there really isn't even any logical reason for his "falling off" his play has been extraordinary from his season start to the (untimely) finish. Main reason for his dropping a spot is the flashy new sensation named Drouin.

Oan is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 05:48 PM
  #83
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,116
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
From what I read, Barkov and Lindholm are knocking at the top 3 door.
As everyone knows, every teams list is different and I am very sure one team in the NHL probably has one of those guys at #1, but Jones and Drouin are definitely separating themselves from the rest of the pack.

S E P H is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 05:49 PM
  #84
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,311
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
FEL is around the same level league as AHL, maybe little better.

How high would go 63, over 200 lbs Canadian C who plays in every situation in AHL for his team, is almost ppg while being one of the best defensive players and youngest draftees?

And sometimes during the season plays against NHLers like Korpikoski or M. Koivu. And the kid plays better.

And for a stretch of 20 games Jannik Hansen comes to play on same line with this kid. And kid looks better.

That's basically Sasha Barkov.
If he's as good as you say he is, then he should definitely go first overall but I have my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I would take Barkov over Lindholm 10000000000 out of 10 times, but I have seen Barkov much more than Elias.
Both weren't that great in the WJC but I think Shasha had an injury, I'd probably take Barkov but lucky the avs will get a better player... Probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Most people have Barkov now at 4th, I wouldn't exactly call that falling off. And there really isn't even any logical reason for his "falling off" his play has been extraordinary from his season start to the (untimely) finish. Main reason for his dropping a spot is the flashy new sensation named Drouin.
Well falling off in the sense he's no longer a threat to Nathan for 1st overall.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 05:55 PM
  #85
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
If he's as good as you say he is, then he should definitely go first overall but I have my doubts.
The thing is that NHL teams are looking what they can do in NHL, not in juniors or SEL or FEL.

There are still some questions about Barkov's skating, mainly the first few steps. And does he have that high end off. ability.

Personally, I don't see him becoming 100 point scorer. 70-80 points with Selke level D is pretty realistic projection imo.

I still have him behind Jones and Nate. I'd be little surprised if he goes in top 2. He has the talent but not the flash.

Though I followed the draft less last year I still had Grigs going in top 5.. as well as Forsberg.. so **** do I know, lol.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 06:02 PM
  #86
CalderKing21
Darth Calder
 
CalderKing21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
As everyone knows, every teams list is different and I am very sure one team in the NHL probably has one of those guys at #1, but Jones and Drouin are definitely separating themselves from the rest of the pack.
i hate saying this because i hate hearing it.
but i truly believe that the two players from this draft who are can't miss are Jones and Drouin. i think out of all of the players even if they don't quite reach expectations they will still be very good players to come out of this draft.

MacKinnon has the highest ceiling as a play maker but he doesn't quite have that "it factor" about him should he not be as advertised.

CalderKing21 is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 06:04 PM
  #87
CalderKing21
Darth Calder
 
CalderKing21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
The thing is that NHL teams are looking what they can do in NHL, not in juniors or SEL or FEL.

There are still some questions about Barkov's skating, mainly the first few steps. And does he have that high end off. ability.

Personally, I don't see him becoming 100 point scorer. 70-80 points with Selke level D is pretty realistic projection imo.

I still have him behind Jones and Nate. I'd be little surprised if he goes in top 2. He has the talent but not the flash.

Though I followed the draft less last year I still had Grigs going in top 5.. as well as Forsberg.. so **** do I know, lol.
if you're picking #6 or lower Barkov and Nurse are two guys that while many have questions about i think will become potentially elite guys.
Barkov is definitely nothing to sniff at. but he will need a lot of refinement to maximize his enormous potential.

CalderKing21 is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 08:02 PM
  #88
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,429
vCash: 50
How much wing has Barkov played? I feel like I read he played some last year or something.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 12:58 AM
  #89
Foppa Frossa
Registered User
 
Foppa Frossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 50
If no Jones I'd like to see:

Wilson - EJ
Barrie - Hejda
Elliott - Siemens

Next year. Let the young kids make mistakes instead of our "vets". If Jones gets drafted and makes the club I'd like to see Siemens and Elliott get top pairing minutes in the A, see if they can rekindle some magic.

Foppa Frossa is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 03:05 AM
  #90
AvsFanJosh
Registered User
 
AvsFanJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 50
On the Panthers boards, they seem to all be a clear cut for makinnon, so im pretty sure we got jones !

AvsFanJosh is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 03:08 AM
  #91
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
If no Jones I'd like to see:

Wilson - EJ
Barrie - Hejda
Elliott - Siemens

Next year. Let the young kids make mistakes instead of our "vets". If Jones gets drafted and makes the club I'd like to see Siemens and Elliott get top pairing minutes in the A, see if they can rekindle some magic.
How would Elliot and Siemens making mistakes and getting destroyed in the NHL be better than vets?

I'd rather have the Elliot - Siemens combination be seeing 25 minute icetime in the AHL then 15 minutes sheltered minutes on the Avs. It's obvious Elliot needs to build his confidence back up, and let's be realistic, Siemens isn't shining in the WHL. He hasn't regressed, but he hasn't taken huge stides either. The best thing for both of them is to get minutes in the AHL and go from there.

I'd love to see Gaunce up here next year instead of a vet though. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

PAZ is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 03:23 AM
  #92
Oan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
How much wing has Barkov played? I feel like I read he played some last year or something.
None at all. He has been playing center all the time.

Oan is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 04:11 AM
  #93
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
How much wing has Barkov played? I feel like I read he played some last year or something.
Basically none.

As he shouldn't. Much of his game would be waste at wing.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 04:20 AM
  #94
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 50
As some of you said Barkov's main drawback is his skating, but it's not like you can't work on it and improve it, just look at Radar or Tavares who improved by leaps and bounds since they've entered the league. All you need is some hard work and determination and Sasha is one of the most commited prospects I've ever seen. Of the guys I was able to watch he's the clear cut #2 behind Jones.

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 05:58 AM
  #95
Khokhlach86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
The best young forward right now Valery Nichushkin, but he have 2 year contract with Traktor in KHL and it's the only reason it would not choose high.

He is playing in the fourth line in Traktor and he the second sniper team in the playoffs.
He's weight and height are ideal for the NHL, he is a future star.

He's usual goal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYfL-EUczUc

Khokhlach86 is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 09:22 AM
  #96
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,750
vCash: 239
I can't say I've seen him play, but I would be very surprised if Barkov goes higher than or is better than Drouin. That guy has a set of supercomputers in his head he's so smart on the ice.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 09:29 AM
  #97
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,389
vCash: 542
Barkov looks like Joe Thornton of the last couple years out there. He was dominant in the FEL and was already the best two way forward in the league. Absolute beast of a centre and my personal favourite player in the draft. Both he and Lindholm have to be in the conversation with the big 3. While I don't see either of them going 1 or 2, 3 is a real possibility.

Nichushkin would be right there as well but for his contract situation. This is going to be like 2009 where all of the top 7 are already effective NHL players.

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 09:33 AM
  #98
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,389
vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
For me its the opposite. I think Lindholm is a clear cut better player then Barkov. The way Lindholm uses his speed and body to protect the puck down low on offense reminds me a lot of Forsberg. And he has a solid Offensive IQ to find players that are open.

I haven't seen much of him on the defensive side, but from what I had read Lindholm has a pretty good 2 way game too.

Barkov just doesn't have elite potential IMO, he's sorta like what Landeskog was pegged as in his draft year IMO. He'll be at least a #2C in the NHL, and likely a #1, but he doesn't have that superstar Top 10 Center potential.
Honestly though what are you basing this on? YouTube and scouting reports? Barkov has been every bit as good and probably better than Lindholm the past 2 years, and has a ridiculous skillet in his own right.

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 09:36 AM
  #99
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khokhlach86 View Post
The best young forward right now Valery Nichushkin, but he have 2 year contract with Traktor in KHL and it's the only reason it would not choose high.

He is playing in the fourth line in Traktor and he the second sniper team in the playoffs.
He's weight and height are ideal for the NHL, he is a future star.

He's usual goal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYfL-EUczUc
I really really like him, but I don't see anyone in the top 10 taking a gamble on him.

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 09:36 AM
  #100
Foppa Frossa
Registered User
 
Foppa Frossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
How would Elliot and Siemens making mistakes and getting destroyed in the NHL be better than vets?

I'd rather have the Elliot - Siemens combination be seeing 25 minute icetime in the AHL then 15 minutes sheltered minutes on the Avs. It's obvious Elliot needs to build his confidence back up, and let's be realistic, Siemens isn't shining in the WHL. He hasn't regressed, but he hasn't taken huge stides either. The best thing for both of them is to get minutes in the AHL and go from there.

I'd love to see Gaunce up here next year instead of a vet though. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.
From what everyone's been saying, Siemens has been playing great for the Blades.

Foppa Frossa is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.