HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Derick Brassard to ANA

Old
03-31-2013, 08:08 AM
Mikey09

vCash: 500
I would like have 2nd NYI, Beleskey and DSP for Brassard and maybe 5th rounder? Is this fair?

Mikey09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:12 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Brassard is not the one to do that.

He isn't awful at D but if he has to focus on covering Ryan's and Teemu's gaffes.. that ain't gonna work imo.
I think he would still do a better job than Holland and be more effective in offence than Bonino. With Ryan and Selänne as his linemates, Brassard could focus more on the defence. He might not be the perfect fit but he's really the best one out there considering everything.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:20 AM
Exit Dose

What's the point of trading for Brassard and keeping Holland?

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:22 AM
Yeaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
What's the point of trading for Brassard and keeping Holland?
Helps out for this years playoff run. Holland is not good enough yet. And our 2C postion is just a big hole right now.

Yeaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:27 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
Helps out for this years playoff run. Holland is not good enough yet. And our 2C postion is just a big hole right now.
Yes, but you're trading for a 25 year-old center that has another year left on his contract and he's RFA after that. You are getting a young 2C in this trade. There is no more hole at that point. You do not need Holland. Brassard isn't a rental.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:38 AM
Yeaoh

Quote:
Yes, but you're trading for a 25 year-old center that has another year left on his contract and he's RFA after that. You are getting a young 2C in this trade. There is no more hole at that point. You do not need Holland. Brassard isn't a rental.
Well then we can roll 2 2nd lines next year:

Beleskey - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Brassard - Etem
Cogliano - Holland - Palmieri
Winnik - Bonino - DSP - Rakell

And then decide if you want to trade Brassard or Holland for an upgrade in D or something. Don't see the problem.

The thing is: We will won't have a better chance to go deeper into the playoffs next year with Selanne and Koivu likely gone.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Well then we can roll 2 2nd lines next year:

Beleskey - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Brassard - Etem
Cogliano - Holland - Palmieri
Winnik - Bonino - DSP - Rakell

And then decide if you want to trade Brassard or Holland for an upgrade in D or something. Don't see the problem.

The thing is: We will won't have a better chance to go deeper into the playoffs next year with Selanne and Koivu likely gone.
Koivu hasn't said that he's 'likely gone'. He said that he didn't plan on considering retirement until after the Olympics. Not to mention that Bonino has a better claim to our third line than Holland does. We have better two way center prospects coming up that we don't need to keep Holland in the event that we land a long term solution. Stop being greedy. We can afford to offer them Holland if they're giving up Brassard.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:48 AM
Yeaoh

Quote:
Koivu hasn't said that he's 'likely gone'. He said that he didn't plan on considering retirement until after the Olympics. Not to mention that Bonino has a better claim to our third line than Holland does. We have better two way center prospects coming up that we don't need to keep Holland in the event that we land a long term solution. Stop being greedy. We can afford to offer them Holland if they're giving up Brassard.
Koivu's contract is running out this year. Quite possible we won't re-sign him even if he considers to continue playing. And right now we don't know if Brassard could be a long term solution. We'd find out next season. And then we can trade one of them if we want too. This is about now.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:14 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Koivu's contract is running out this year. Quite possible we won't re-sign him even if he considers to continue playing. And right now we don't know if Brassard could be a long term solution. We'd find out next season. And then we can trade one of them if we want too. This is about now.
We don't know if Holland is a long term solution, but Brassard is a hell of a lot closer to being that at this point in time. Why are you clinging to this prospect when we have plenty of good center talent available to us and in the pipeline? Columbus isn't going to give up Brassard for a prospect in the minors and a 5th. If you're asking for a proven talent, then you're going to have to offer them something tangible to get that. You aren't trading for a rental.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:29 AM
mightyquack
Boll 2 hit superstar

Why would we dump Koivu when he's playing some of his best hockey so far in Anaheim. He's the perfect #3c and doesn't look like he's out of gas yet, and if it looks like he starts to struggle next year, we have a ready made bottom 6 center in Bonino who could step up to the 3rd line.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:43 AM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
I honestly think something around Bonino, DSP and a 3rd would get it done.
I think Columbus would do it to save $ and get some young players in that will be cheaper for years to come and Bonino can fill in as a 3rd line center with potential for a 2nd line role depending on the situation when he gets back to health.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I honestly think something around Bonino, DSP and a 3rd would get it done.
I think Columbus would do it to save $ and get some young players in that will be cheaper for years to come and Bonino can fill in as a 3rd line center with potential for a 2nd line role depending on the situation when he gets back to health.
Trading Brassard to improve the team, not to save money. Got third liners, need top tier wing talent or real potential for.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:00 AM
justheducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Trading Brassard to improve the team, not to save money. Got third liners, need top tier wing talent or real potential for.
Hate to break it to you but Columbus wil always be trying to save money as a smart market team. If they can get pieces that can fill the same need for half the cost they will always consider making that trade.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:09 AM
pete goegan

Quote:
Hate to break it to you but Columbus wil always be trying to save money as a smart market team. If they can get pieces that can fill the same need for half the cost they will always consider making that trade.
Hate to break it to you, but you don't know **** about Columbus. Last year's payroll was among the top ten in the league (yeah, we know, not worth it!). The team now is closer to the floor than the cap, has straightened out it's finances with a new arena lease agreement, and has staunched the flow of red ink. Brassard will not be traded as a money saving move, only as a means to improve the team, now or in the future. If a player coming back is as good as Brassard and at a lower pay figure, it certainly would play into the trade (as it would for any team in the league). I don't see anything offered in this thread that seems to fit that description.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

If Anaheim trades for Brassard, I'd imagine it'd be for something centered around Holland.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Hate to break it to you, but you don't know **** about Columbus.
QFT; pete said it before I could.

Brassard is available in trade, but frankly what we need is skilled forwards. So while he'd fit in Anaheim pretty reasonably well, I don't think it'd make sense for Anaheim to give up the sorts of players we'd ask for (*cough*cough*redacted*cough*).

Unless there's something I'm missing, I don't think this is going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
If Anaheim trades for Brassard, I'd imagine it'd be for something centered around Holland.
...okay, I'll concede that that could work as well, and is much less likely to cause a flamewar than that other name I previously had here.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:20 AM
justheducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Hate to break it to you, but you don't know **** about Columbus. Last year's payroll was among the top ten in the league (yeah, we know, not worth it!). The team now is closer to the floor than the cap, has straightened out it's finances with a new arena lease agreement, and has staunched the flow of red ink. Brassard will not be traded as a money saving move, only as a means to improve the team, now or in the future. If a player coming back is as good as Brassard and at a lower pay figure, it certainly would play into the trade (as it would for any team in the league). I don't see anything offered in this thread that seems to fit that description.
Yeah cause 6th lowest payroll in the NHL is spending a lot of money? Give me a break...
The only reason why you guys aren't below the floor is because of the overpaying of guys like James Wisniewski, Umbreger and Tyutin. You have to overpay them to play there cause it is one of the league most non-preferred places to play.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Exit Dose

You're forgetting that they had Nash and Carter last season.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:58 AM
squarelaces

Quote:
Yeah cause 6th lowest payroll in the NHL is spending a lot of money? Give me a break...
The only reason why you guys aren't below the floor is because of the overpaying of guys like James Wisniewski, Umbreger and Tyutin. You have to overpay them to play there cause it is one of the league most non-preferred places to play.
You quoted but didn't read. The Jackets have within the last year vastly improved the team, the team's finances and with the hiring of JD the team leadership. If you're talking about Won/Loss in your "non-preferred places to play" dig point taken, but you probably didn't know that a large % of players that have been traded here choose to relocate their families here permanently. BTW I spend about a week every year in Anaheim. King's Fish House is nice. Other than that,

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:03 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

What would the Ducks need to add to Holland to get Brassard?

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:07 AM
pete goegan

Quote:
No, you deserve no breaks, did you look up the numbers for last season, the year about which I posted? You know nothing about Columbus and refuse to learn from those who do. That's the hight of ignorance and demonstrates a single-minded dedication to remaining ignorant. Umberger and Tyutin were brought in by trades, not free agency, and none of the three is wildly overpaid, though certainly all are to some degree. As for how well-regarded Columbus is as a place to play, the guys that are here seem to like it and many who have passed through, including guys like Cassels, Modin, and Nash, still maintain off-season homes. No, Iginla was not about to turn down the Pens for a chance to come to Columbus, but it's not Siberia and the new front office and improving team will have a great effect on the desirability of this town as a hockey destination. Wasn't so long ago that all of California was looked at as a place to avoid for hockey. Things like that rarely remain unchanged.

None of this relates to the topic. I repeat, Brass will not be traded to dump salary, only to improve the team. You may believe as you wish, no matter how narrow minded and uninformed it may be.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
Wouldn't be much considering Brassard's struggles. Maybe a late pick.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:28 AM
cslebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
Considering Columbus' glut of centers - though admittedly none of them are ready for 1C action yet (Both AA and Joey have looked good but they aren't there) - I've got to think that Holland who's upside appears to be a 2C isn't going to get the deal done.

From my perspective as a CBJ fan that would be trading away something we currently have for what we would want (albeit Holland may play a better 2 way game - UNK to me).

The CBJ is hurting for scoring players, and could really use some right wings or players with size and speed. Rakell at least looks interesting (knowing there's no way to get Etem of Palmieri - and I'm not asking for them). I would think though since he's such a future and we'd be trading a now that the CBJ would want something more with him.

How would Rakell + 1st for Bras + 3rd sound?

I ask because I think something more than a 2nd would be needed but really CBJ would need to add to get that to be a 1st.

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

No way I trade Rakell + 1st for Brassard. There are few realistic trades that I'd give up that package for.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

You're looking for scoring players and you'd rather have Rak than Holland? Doesn't make much sense IMO. But no I wouldn't do that deal. That's the reason I said at the beginning of this thread that id rather target Roy.