HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #35| Mar. 31, 2013| Capitals at Flyers | 6:00 p.m. ET

Old
03-31-2013, 09:57 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
I'm so conflicted. This team NEEDS a Jones, Drouin, or MacK so much more than a 1st round playoff exit, and I don't see any way we really contend for a championship with all these injuries, but it's tough for your brain to tell your heart to root for a loss.

I'm also incredibly worried that there's still too much time left for Homer and co. to do something stupid. Homer and Snider have been waiting all year for signs of life, and god forbid we win today and get within 2 pts of a playoff spot, while getting points in 3 straight games / winning 2 in a row. It could be misconstrued as a team ready to make a run.

I fear a win today could be the impetus for an extremely short-sighted acquisition.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:59 AM
MP92
G & V

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I'm so conflicted. This team NEEDS a Jones, Drouin, or MacK so much more than a 1st round playoff exit, and I don't see any way we really contend for a championship with all these injuries, but it's tough for your brain to tell your heart to root for a loss.

I'm also incredibly worried that there's still too much time left for Homer and co. to do something stupid. Homer and Snider have been waiting all year for signs of life, and god forbid we win today and get within 2 pts of a playoff spot, while getting points in 3 straight games / winning 2 in a row. It could be misconstrued as a team ready to make a run.

I fear a win today could be the impetus for an extremely short-sighted acquisition.
Im right there with ya

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Prongo
Beer

I know we are all in the belief stage right now because we beat a struggling Bruins team yesterday, but we should all be very realistic here. Our defense is absolutely atrocious. We have Gervias, Foster, Lauridsen, and Gus in our top 6. I doubt that those 4 players will continue to play the way they did yesterday. Especially the young kids, they will struggle with the NHL like all young defenders do.

Our forwards also played a committed defensive game yesterday. Not saying they won't again, but break downs happen. I won't be getting excited about our team until the defense shows consistency and not just one good game. I have always been a glass half full type of guy, but with these injuries amounting and the schedule coming up, we don't have the most optimistic outlook.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:03 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
There is a crack in the door and if we can string together a nice little run our club can open the door up and give us some spirited playoff hockey.............Tanking is for ******* and those who have no spirit or will to dig deep and overcome adversity.The cups half full in my view ! Always will be.
As long as we continue to value 1st round exits more than the chance to acquire an all-star who will make an impact on this team for 7+ years, that cup that you're talking about being half full will never be the Stanley Cup.

I hate losing as much as the next guy here, but what good would it be to make the playoffs w/ no Briere (the playoff wizard), no Coburn, no Meszaros, potentially no Grossmann? It's just silly to think we could make any real noise.

Sometimes you have to take stock of what's best for your future. I don't think that's the same as "tanking" though. I think tanking is when the players deliberately don't give their best effort, or when the GM makes a series of poor personnel moves to try and shave Ws. Nobody is advocating that kind of stuff here. We're advocating re-positioning ourselves for the future. Perhaps trading a few minor assets or older assets in order to acquire a couple extra draft picks. And if the net result of those good hockey trades is that we have a few more losses, then so be it.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-31-2013 at 10:25 AM.
WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

I might sound crazy but I am confident that Homer and company will not make any rental type deals this deadline. Homer also came out yesterday and said that he does't think the team is in that position. They can clearly see this team is decimated with injuries right now, and the prospect of the playoffs isn't looking that great. Homer may have made some pretty crappy deals before, but recently he has kept the stupidity out of decisions. If we can see this team not really advancing far with the defense we have, I am pretty sure Homer and management are well aware of the possibility.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Curufinwe

A 1-0 loss would be OK by me.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:16 AM
King Fish

Not sure how people would be interested in making the playoffs this year. This is a bad team that would get killed by any of the top seeds this year. You don't need to look at points and the "anything can happen in the playoffs" bs just do the eye test, they don't pass. If we had a healthy team and we were playing well I'd say go for it (we'd still get bounced in the first round). The horror that has been this season needs to end with a twinkle of light, not a pathetic playoff performance ending in the number 12 pick.

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Ryker

By some of your logic, the Islanders, Carolina, Washington, Florida, Buffalo and Tampa Bay should also just give up, because they're bad teams that wouldn't make it past the first round. Damn, is watching a league where half of the teams should give up after the first half of the season exciting or what!

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:05 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
By some of your logic, the Islanders, Carolina, Washington, Florida, Buffalo and Tampa Bay should also just give up, because they're bad teams that wouldn't make it past the first round. Damn, is watching a league where half of the teams should give up after the first half of the season exciting or what!
Well ya florida and buffalo have given up. The caps have been winning games (unlike us). Canes and TBL can go either way.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well ya florida and buffalo have given up. The caps have been winning games (unlike us). Canes and TBL can go either way.
Best league in the world!

Old
03-31-2013, 12:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Best league in the world!
?? Every sport and league in the world have teams like this. Cant have every team winning every game. Teams have down years like we are having.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:20 PM
mantis toboggan

I don't even know what to do. The flyers fan in me wants to cheer for my team but the logical part of me knows that winning gets us no where.

mantis toboggan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
?? Every sport and league in the world have teams like this. Cant have every team winning every game. Teams have down years like we are having.
Of course you can't, I wasn't implying that. There's nothing wrong with losing and bad teams. And luckily, I also realize that teams and the NHL don't have the same mentality as some fans here do, so that the league is not a joke like those fans would seemingly want it to be.

Funnily enough, I've been into sports my whole life, following various sports and leagues, and I never imagined a notion like tanking even existed before coming here and following the NHL through messageboard participation, as well.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Of course you can't, I wasn't implying that. There's nothing wrong with losing and bad teams. And luckily, I also realize that teams and the NHL don't have the same mentality as some fans here do, so that the league is not a joke like those fans would seemingly want it to be.

Funnily enough, I've been into sports my whole life, following various sports and leagues, and I never imagined a notion like tanking even existed before coming here and following the NHL through messageboard participation, as well.
Tanking happens more in the NBA than any other league.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:36 PM
G Money

how was lauridsen yesterday ?

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:38 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:

This post hits the nail on the head on my thoughts. I am extremely concerned about what Holmgren could do to try and band-aid the team if signs of life are being shown.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:45 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I want to keep all draft picks.

03-31-2013, 12:53 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
As long as we continue to value 1st round exits more than the chance to acquire an all-star who will make an impact on this team for 7+ years, that cup that you're talking about being half full will never be the Stanley Cup.

I hate losing as much as the next guy here, but what good would it be to make the playoffs w/ no Briere (the playoff wizard), no Coburn, no Meszaros, potentially no Grossmann? It's just silly to think we could make any real noise.

Sometimes you have to take stock of what's best for your future. I don't think that's the same as "tanking" though. I think tanking is when the players deliberately don't give their best effort, or when the GM makes a series of poor personnel moves to try and shave Ws. Nobody is advocating that kind of stuff here. We're advocating re-positioning ourselves for the future. Perhaps trading a few minor assets or older assets in order to acquire a couple extra draft picks. And if the net result of those good hockey trades is that we have a few more losses, then so be it.
Whose to say that great draft pick will pan out ? not get concussed, crack under the pressure etc.....You just never know really....So play hard and try and make a run with what you currently have and let the off season worry about itself.It might work out that our club continues its hot and cold play and don't get in, but i hope they NEVER resort to floating and just playing out the string for a chance to get a good pick.Why bother even lacing up the skates then ? The game should be respected no matter what in my view.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

"A George, divided against itself, Cannot Stand!"

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:59 PM
BrindamoursNose

Only interest I have in making the playoffs is knocking the Pens out in the first round (which I believe we can).

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Only interest I have in making the playoffs is knocking the Pens out in the first round (which I believe we can).
Im in the same boat, 8 seed vs 1 seed...its all lining up. And sad thing is i think we are the only team capable of beating the pens this year.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

On tanking
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...0#.UVh72mS9K0c

Quote:
To put it mildly, I am not a proponent of any team tanking in the hopes of landing a higher draft pick. First of all, it cheats the game. It cheats the paying customers. It also cheats the team's coach who is likely fighting for his job. Secondly, there is no one player in ANY draft who is going to singlehandedly turn a pile of manure into a stairwell to the Stanley Cup.

That does not mean Flyers' management should not be realistic in assessing the team's status heading into the trade deadline. It makes sense to sell off tradeable assets -- especially desirable impending unrestricted free agents -- to stockpile a few more draft picks, and I am in favor of doing so.

However, as far the players and coaches go, being sellers at the deadline never means it's OK to stop competing at hard as possible. Jobs for next season are at stake and personal and professional pride alone should make the thought of tanking unpalatable to anyone the Flyers should actually WANT to have around in the future.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Yeah, couldn't agree with Meltzer more. Let's win this!

Old
03-31-2013, 02:34 PM
snoop88

Quote:

i just don't understand people sometimes. with all due respect, what is there to be conflicted about?

you are a flyers fan. you want what's best for the organization and maximizing a chance to win a Stanley Cup after 38 years.

The best thing for this current team is to sell off all disposable assets and get as high a draft pick as possible.
point blank, period

I can easily root for a hopeless team to lose, in order to give us a better future. It doesn't even take a second thought.

The team as currently constructed is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

snoop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop88 View Post
i just don't understand people sometimes. with all due respect, what is there to be conflicted about?

you are a flyers fan. you want what's best for the organization and maximizing a chance to win a Stanley Cup after 38 years.

The best thing for this current team is to sell off all disposable assets and get as high a draft pick as possible.
point blank, period

I can easily root for a hopeless team to lose, in order to give us a better future. It doesn't even take a second thought.

The team as currently constructed is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Hockey is a weird sport, sometimes 1 thing can change the whole complex of a team.

I saw a little bit of that in 2010 and Im seeing a little bit of that now.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote