HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2013, 09:46 PM
  #826
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,993
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shero View Post
People want Danny Briere out really bad here....
your point?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:49 PM
  #827
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Shero View Post
People want Danny Briere out really bad here....
Nice observation.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:04 PM
  #828
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,193
vCash: 500
maybe he meant "in Pittsburgh" by "here"

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:11 PM
  #829
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardnell View Post
Lindros jacked

Pronger huge

Danny little
Briere actually looks like he's jacked there.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:51 PM
  #830
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,624
vCash: 1688
Holmgren -- Q and A w/media (March 30)

Quote:
Do you anticipate Danny Briere (concussion) and/or Nick Grossmann (upper body injury) will play again this season?

“I don’t know about Danny. Grossmann, I do anticipate him back. It certainly won’t be tomorrow.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 05:55 PM
  #831
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,694
vCash: 500
He wasn't playing well and I think the team is better without him out there on the wing, but I don't wish concussions on any hockey player. I hope he feels better soon, and not just so he's fit enough to be bought out.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:01 AM
  #832
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Such bad luck. Can't trade him due to concussion, can't buy him out if he's still injured in the offseason, and on top of that, his injury has forced Laviolette to give his ice time and his roster spot to more complete and hungry players, thus making us a better team when we have 0 chance at the playoffs and are in the hunt for a top draft pick.

I can't think of a single way Danny could've screwed us over worse than he's currently doing. He is the ultimate troll.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:51 AM
  #833
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Such bad luck. Can't trade him due to concussion, can't buy him out if he's still injured in the offseason, and on top of that, his injury has forced Laviolette to give his ice time and his roster spot to more complete and hungry players, thus making us a better team when we have 0 chance at the playoffs and are in the hunt for a top draft pick.

I can't think of a single way Danny could've screwed us over worse than he's currently doing. He is the ultimate troll.
How do we have 0 chance of making the playoffs when we are only 4 pts back?

Also if I had a briere jersey right now I'd burn it.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:09 AM
  #834
MayonnaiseOreo
Registered User
 
MayonnaiseOreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: University Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
How do we have 0 chance of making the playoffs when we are only 4 pts back?

Also if I had a briere jersey right now I'd burn it.
I have a Briere shirt if you want it. It was a good luck charm last season but once they met the Devils it went to waste.

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:32 AM
  #835
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,880
vCash: 500
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

Technically we have a 5.7% chance of getting in. I actually think that number seems low, but who knows.

It's simple, you win you get in. Teams ahead of us don't seem to want to make the playoffs. They are getting the help they needed.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:57 AM
  #836
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

Technically we have a 5.7% chance of getting in. I actually think that number seems low, but who knows.

It's simple, you win you get in. Teams ahead of us don't seem to want to make the playoffs. They are getting the help they needed.
It's not low at all. People fail to grasp how difficult it is to jump this many teams ahead of you with this few # of games left. It's especially difficult being that we have one of the toughest remaining schedules:

14 games:
2 against the #2 seed Canadians
1 against the #3 seed Jets
1 against the #4 seed Bruins
2 against the #5 seed Senators
1 against the #6 seed Maple Leafs
1 against the #7 seed Devils (who own us)
1 against the #8 seed Rangers (who own us)

That's 9 of 14 against playoff teams and unfortunately only 1 of those games (against the Rags) is against a team currently taking a playoff spot that we have a chance of catching. So it's not like we have a ton of "4 point" games that can vault us up the standings.

Then we also have to play the Caps, Isles x 2, Sabres, and Carolina.

14 games, 7 home, 7 away, 6 games against a top-5 seeded team, only 2 against a bottom-5 seeded team. And we're without two of our best 4 defensemen, (arguably we're without 3 of our top 5 defensemen).

This season is realistically over. Pack it up, pack it in, trade the non-essential pieces that you can and bring us a ~15% chance @ Seth Jones and a guarantee of either Jones, MacKinnon, or Drouin.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:27 AM
  #837
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
It's not low at all. People fail to grasp how difficult it is to jump this many teams ahead of you with this few # of games left. It's especially difficult being that we have one of the toughest remaining schedules:

14 games:
2 against the #2 seed Canadians
1 against the #3 seed Jets
1 against the #4 seed Bruins
2 against the #5 seed Senators
1 against the #6 seed Maple Leafs
1 against the #7 seed Devils (who own us)
1 against the #8 seed Rangers (who own us)

That's 9 of 14 against playoff teams and unfortunately only 1 of those games (against the Rags) is against a team currently taking a playoff spot that we have a chance of catching. So it's not like we have a ton of "4 point" games that can vault us up the standings.

Then we also have to play the Caps, Isles x 2, Sabres, and Carolina.

14 games, 7 home, 7 away, 6 games against a top-5 seeded team, only 2 against a bottom-5 seeded team. And we're without two of our best 4 defensemen, (arguably we're without 3 of our top 5 defensemen).

This season is realistically over. Pack it up, pack it in, trade the non-essential pieces that you can and bring us a ~15% chance @ Seth Jones and a guarantee of either Jones, MacKinnon, or Drouin.
Not saying it will be easy but the east blows. We can win against everyone of those teams. Not like we have to play teams that play tough day in and day out. Rangers can't buy a win and are catchable.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:20 AM
  #838
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Not saying it will be easy but the east blows. We can win against everyone of those teams. Not like we have to play teams that play tough day in and day out. Rangers can't buy a win and are catchable.
The question is, do you WANT to squeak in and have to play Pittsburgh without Coburn, Mez and possibly Grossmann?

Really, they need Kimmo's sore back to flare up, and to give Bryzgalov a rest - he's the only thing keeping this team out of the tank.

Given how bad they've been, I am confident they will blow the tank and finish 23rd overall and miss all the good D picks.....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:28 AM
  #839
Giroux It
Rookie User
 
Giroux It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The question is, do you WANT to squeak in and have to play Pittsburgh without Coburn, Mez and possibly Grossmann?

Really, they need Kimmo's sore back to flare up, and to give Bryzgalov a rest - he's the only thing keeping this team out of the tank.

Given how bad they've been, I am confident they will blow the tank and finish 23rd overall and miss all the good D picks.....
While I agree to some extent, if you think they will finish around 23rd, you might as well go for the playoffs? Unless your gonna tank it hard (which obviously they don't seem to be doing), its best to squeak in and hope for the best. Besides that the playoff experience will be good for the younger players, and if it against the Penguins last year proves that anything can happen.

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:31 AM
  #840
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The question is, do you WANT to squeak in and have to play Pittsburgh without Coburn, Mez and possibly Grossmann?

Really, they need Kimmo's sore back to flare up, and to give Bryzgalov a rest - he's the only thing keeping this team out of the tank.

Given how bad they've been, I am confident they will blow the tank and finish 23rd overall and miss all the good D picks.....
I always think its best to play your best. Not saying we should trade out first for Whitney just think we should make a run for it. Pitt can be beat they still have the same porus goaltending and D for the most part that we light up. We play them well. Tanking gets good players but its not what wins you cups. Even though the pens tanked and got the best players for it they still only went as far as their goalie took them, then and now. We may not be the kings loaded up before the playoffs and everything but we have more skill than the devils who almost won it.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:40 AM
  #841
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,904
vCash: 500
Plus Martin out for 6 weeks, letang on IR. Crosby post op who knows concussion or not. Malkin in and out of the lineup. Pens should have for sure gone after D but instead went for the big name.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:56 AM
  #842
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 500
I guess we'll have to LTIR his ass and he can sit on his couch in Bagend till his contract expires I spose

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:02 AM
  #843
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,187
vCash: 50
On the plus side, this may well save us a buyout.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:07 AM
  #844
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
On the plus side, this may well save us a buyout.
Huh? You realize that between Pronger and Briere, our offseason cap space would actually be crippled right? There is no offseason LTIR and even with a 10% overage allowage, we would still be in big, big trouble.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:50 AM
  #845
daynus
Registered User
 
daynus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Good Ole Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Huh? You realize that between Pronger and Briere, our offseason cap space would actually be crippled right? There is no offseason LTIR and even with a 10% overage allowage, we would still be in big, big trouble.
yah i was thinking ltir, but yah you brought up the thing we forgot about, offseason cap. did big ed attend the cba negotiations. how could our owner let us get skewered in the new cba. no wonder we are in a dismal state. you philly guys should feel good about the way the eagles, made quick strides to right the ship, and maybe the phillys as well.and us making the playoffs, bernie is bang on. possible, yes, but the strength of schedule and 7 road games 5.7% sounds about right.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:13 AM
  #846
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I always think its best to play your best. Not saying we should trade out first for Whitney just think we should make a run for it. Pitt can be beat they still have the same porus goaltending and D for the most part that we light up. We play them well. Tanking gets good players but its not what wins you cups. Even though the pens tanked and got the best players for it they still only went as far as their goalie took them, then and now. We may not be the kings loaded up before the playoffs and everything but we have more skill than the devils who almost won it.
Pittsburgh might disagree. They tanked for years to collect top picks. So did Chicago.
Two best teams now...

Once they trade Fedotenko (for sure), Gagne (possibly), Gervais and/or Foster (if anyone is that desperate for D depth), give Knuble away for futures (to be nice since no one took him on waivers). Heck, I'd give serious consideration to trading Timonen too, positioned as mercy for him to get him to waive. Talbot can go for a 1st.

Bring up some Phantoms. Dress Huskins, Lilja in the top 4. Let Leighton play. The tank will take care of itself. If the moron coach won't do it, fire him right now and let Paddock oversee the tank.

Without Coburn and Meszaros, and Grossmann this week, there is no way we can make the playoffs, let alone compete with a good team once we get there. Are two home dates worth missing out on Jones/McKinnon/Drouin? No.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:25 AM
  #847
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Pittsburgh might disagree. They tanked for years to collect top picks. So did Chicago.
Two best teams now...
Well, I guess cherry picking works for you. Ignore the likes of Edmonton and the Islanders, who are still nowhere, and also ignore the likes of Vancouver, Boston or even the Devils, who did not have to tank to be constant contenders.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:27 PM
  #848
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,624
vCash: 1688
From Sam C., a few minutes ago:

Quote:
Briere , who has concussion symptoms, watching game from pressbox. Says he is still getting headaches

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:41 PM
  #849
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Pittsburgh might disagree. They tanked for years to collect top picks. So did Chicago.
Two best teams now...


.
Don't forget the Oilers.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:42 PM
  #850
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,966
vCash: 500
Yeah, I'm still getting headaches too.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.