HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton's 1st + for d-man

Old
03-31-2013, 12:55 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
With raises to Gagner, Smid, and others- our cap situation next year isn't great. Campbell would cripple us.
Our cap hit is fine. Give Whitney's salary to Smid, and Khabiboulin's salary + 1-2 million to Gagner. We would still have room for Campbell and a cheap backup goalie.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:58 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Hemsky has no where near the impact that Markov has when healthy. Look at the Habs record with Markov in the lineup vs out. Its night and day. Markov has slowed down due to the injuries however his game is not dependant on speed and athletism. As a result there are plenty of miles left. He thinks the game on a different level.

Hemsky meanwhile has little impact on the game hence minimal value cimpared to Markov!
He not comparing them directly . He saying Hemsky is viewed as worthless because of injuries . Yet players that have been injured more other teams want an arm and a leg for . As good as Markov has been , we don't want him he can not help us from the press box . He is a injury waiting to happen . Also how dare someone mention that Hemsky has played twice as many games as him over the last 4 years . Meanwhile Markov has little impact when he injured hence the no , we don't want him

supert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:01 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
He not comparing them directly . He saying Hemsky is viewed as worthless because of injuries . Yet players that have been injured more other teams want an arm and a leg for . As good as Markov has been , we don't want him he can not help us from the press box . He is a injury waiting to happen . Also how dare someone mention that Hemsky has played twice as many games as him over the last 4 years . Meanwhile Markov has little impact when he injured hence the no , we don't want him
Either way you couldn't afford him plus Markov has a NMC and would never waive to Edmonton. Thats a dmans graveyard!!

FanHabtic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:03 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Btw Hemsky is viewed as worthless because he has minimal impact on the game when healthy and carries a high caphit with term!

FanHabtic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:05 PM
supert

Quote:
Last i checked he has been healthy all season and playing in excess of 25 mins per game. His impact in the game has directly reflected in the Habs resurgence. So yes i'm talking about Markov as a key top pairing dman in the ice!
And Hemsky been Health for over 130 games now yet he is worthless because he made of glass . Markov is a great player , but he is injured more then Hemsky . We need some that can stay in the line up

Old
03-31-2013, 01:08 PM
supert

Quote:
Btw Hemsky is viewed as worthless because he has minimal impact on the game when healthy and carries a high caphit with term!
And we view Markov as worthless because he misses 75 % of all the games played in the last 4 years . Great impact in 25 % of games is not what we need . We need a D man that can make a difference game in game out .

Old
03-31-2013, 01:09 PM
belair

Markov isn't going anywhere. You can discuss their injury history over and over, but a team currently competing for their division never moves its best defenceman.

(Yes, I know there's Subban. But I'm trying to prove your point for you.)

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 01:52 PM
korpedo

What would it take for Phoenix to aquire your 1st?

korpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:11 PM
hyperboy

Send a message via MSN to hyperboy
just outta curioustity would the pens do something like yakupov for letang if they choose to sign malkin over him?

hyperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Crown Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
Remember, forwards actually peak pretty early.

Avg peak age is 27.

Last edited by Crown Royal: 03-31-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: cuz
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:48 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by korpedo View Post
Depends where it is. If it is top 10 then it would have more value. I would say a deal involving Yandle but the problem with Yandle is that he is not that good defensively.

rockinghockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:58 PM
hyperboy

Send a message via MSN to hyperboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Our cap hit is fine. Give Whitney's salary to Smid, and Khabiboulin's salary + 1-2 million to Gagner. We would still have room for Campbell and a cheap backup goalie.
so your saying like 4mil for smid when people like del zotto and subban took 3.75 mil on 2 year deals? we'd have to be getting a long term deal done for that to happen

to say give gagner between 4.75mil and 5.75 mil is insane this is his first really good season, i'd say give him khabby money on a 2 year deal like del zotto and pk got to prove this is just a 1 year thing. giving gagner 475-5.75 is as dump as horcoff's contract

hyperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 04:16 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboy View Post
so your saying like 4mil for smid when people like del zotto and subban took 3.75 mil on 2 year deals? we'd have to be getting a long term deal done for that to happen

to say give gagner between 4.75mil and 5.75 mil is insane this is his first really good season, i'd say give him khabby money on a 2 year deal like del zotto and pk got to prove this is just a 1 year thing. giving gagner 475-5.75 is as dump as horcoff's contract
You realize that those are bridge RFA contracts, correct? Not even close to the same scenario as Smid, who is an upcoming UFA, and one of the best UFA's on the market if he makes it there. Take a look at recent signings of top Unrestricted Free Agents. Comparing to RFA's is like comparing apples to meatloaf.

If you give Gagner only 2 years, he is a UFA in two years and will cost even more. Gagner at 4 - 5 million is in line with what other second line centers are paid as well. How many years do you expect Gagner to take the short term "let's see how you do next year" deal? That's the type of deal he's on now, and was on for his last contract too. Lets not act like either of these deals I proposed are unprecedented or out of the norm.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

At the draft, I would do Gardiner for a 5-7 overall 1st.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:37 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
There is a scenario that the Penguins make him an 8 year contract offer with an internal cap hit limit, and if he doesn't accept, they will trade him like they traded Staal. For example, if he wants 7+ million per year, he will (most likely) not receive this in Pittsburgh because of the Penguins' cap structure (Crosby, Malkin, etc).

The Penguins would be a good trade partner with Edmonton if you truly want a young #1D for your 1st rounder. In my opinion, the Pens would be looking for one or two young forwards/prospects in exchange for Letang in addition to the 1st rounder.

ex: Staal for Sutter, Dumoulin, 8th Overall (Pouliot)

Proposal:

Letang for Top 5-10 Overall, Paajarvi, F/D prospect

I would personally like to keep Letang, but the Penguins could use some EC contracts and young forward depth if Letang doesn't want to re-sign.

This is more just for fun, I am curious if such a deal would work on your end.
1st, Paajarvi and Petry? Helll, I'd probably add our 2014 1st as well.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 05:41 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Markov isn't going anywhere. You can discuss their injury history over and over, but a team currently competing for their division never moves its best defenceman.

(Yes, I know there's Subban. But I'm trying to prove your point for you.)
I agree . Like i said Markov is a great D man . He is one of the best and the Habs are a much better team with him . His injuries are a concern when paying a high price for him . If he was being dump , I would be all over this . His value to the Habs is more then any other team . If he stays health i will eat my words .

Old
03-31-2013, 05:43 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Gardiner is not worth that unless he can prove he back to last years form . He can not even stay in the line up this year

Old
03-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
i'd do that trade prior to the deadline, probably not at the draft though.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I personally think that Edmonton's best chance at getting a game-breaking defenseman is taking on one with a bad contract.

They're not exactly anywhere near the cap ceiling now or in the near future, so their budget will allow them to take on that type of contract.

What kind of realistic return that player would merit remains to be seen though.

Personally, I'd like to see them target Brian Campbell in Florida. His 4-year term definitely muddies his overall trade value and could potentially cause problems down the road for Edmonton's cap structure, but his ability to log effective minutes would take a lot of stress off of their younger defensive core.

Jay Bouwmeester might be another viable option if they're looking for a shorter term investment. It's difficult to see Calgary and Edmonton doing a deal of that magnitude though.

Any idea what either of those two would bring back in a return?
Columbus was in the same position two years ago and I was hoping for the same acquisition. We ultimately instead ended up with the JMFJ-Wisniewski bromance, though, so it worked out.

Bouwmeester's the most obvious guy to target, but, yeah, his current employer makes that somewhat awkward.

After that... I'd go talk to either Phoenix or New Jersey.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Assuming the starting point is Ales Hemsky on any trade, the differential in cap space would only be $2M.

Then factor in Ryan Whitney, Andy Sutton and Nik Khabibulin's contract ending this year, then Horcoff, Belanger, Smyth and Nick Schultz next season and they're not exactly in dire straits.

When we're tracking a top flight defenseman, I assume there's going to be a pricetag coming along with him.
Going along with that assumption for the sake of argument, that's adding 2 million to a cap that's already dropping by 6.

Not only do those players you mention still have to be replaced, but you're talking only in subtractions and completely discounting the raises due this summer and next.

As it sits right now after Smid's signing, we have about 11.5 million to fill 7 empty spots. That is not including the raises to Gagner and Paajarvi- say they make around 6.5 combined, give or take...that leaves 5 million for 5 players next year.
The following year we have to worry about RNH's 6 mil extension and raises to J. Schultz, Dubnyk, etc..

That could be a big mess for a player of that caliber. We're not talking about a Chara/Weber/Letang- 'true #1'- type guy, where you make the move knowing it's worth it to sacrifice in other areas..

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post

So, who should they go after? I'm thinking someone from the cap-crunched Rangers. Rangers have plenty of good d-men so I think there is a deal to be had there somehow.

Rangers are not in cap trouble.
Rangers wouldn't move any of their dmen for picks.

Edmonton fans can stop dreaming. You're not getting McDonagh. You're not getting Staal. You're not getting Zel Zotto. Stop offering crap for our dmen.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 139
Markov will make the Oilers a top team in the West btw.

No way the Habs trade him. Way too valuable.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:47 PM
AnthonyJohnson

vCash:
VAN will give you Edler, Schroeder + 1st for Gagner + Klefbom

Old
04-01-2013, 06:38 PM
MetaOil1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by korpedo View Post
Yandle , Doubt Maloney would trade him for picks though.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:18 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohnson View Post
VAN will give you Edler, Schroeder + 1st for Gagner + Klefbom
Switch Schroder for Kassian.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote