HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Isles for #15

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
Wrong. Iginla and Morrow should be in the top 6. Cooke isn't getting bounced off the 3rd line for rookie Bennett
Never said Bennett in particular. Just elaborating on how this team has a deeper forward corps, and what the could mean for the players - i.e. Cooke being bumped to the 4th line.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:48 AM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
A few Isles fans calling Neal's reverse hit on Hamonic...

Dirty
AND
Interference

A player
WITH posession
Of the Puck
Initiating contact
Can NEVER
Be called for interference
They've been living in that New Jersey chemical dump for too long. Their brains are mush.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:40 AM
arnold slick

Checking in late, just finished watching the game on the DVR, rather than go with the obvious =/-'s I'll go with new guy Doug Murray, I can't help but notice how intimidated opposing players are of him, he doesn't even have to do anything in some instances, they just pull up when they see him and when he does hit someone they are down and he moves the puck, I also love his front of the net presence, he cleans the house, I'm really happy we got him.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Never said Bennett in particular. Just elaborating on how this team has a deeper forward corps, and what the could mean for the players - i.e. Cooke being bumped to the 4th line.
TK should be on the 4th before Cooke though. Cooke - Sutter - Morrow/Dupuis will be the 3rd line when this team is healthy. No offense to Beau, but that's probably the right decision.

It's going to be Glass in over Vitale that makes me mad. 4th line should probably be Adams - Vitale - TK but its going to be Glass - Adams - TK most likely

Old
03-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
TK should be on the 4th before Cooke though. Cooke - Sutter - Morrow/Dupuis will be the 3rd line when this team is healthy. No offense to Beau, but that's probably the right decision.

It's going to be Glass in over Vitale that makes me mad. 4th line should probably be Adams - Vitale - TK but its going to be Glass - Adams - TK most likely
I'm not too mad about it... Glass has been awful this year for the most part, but I do feel people don't give him enough credit on the PK because Bylsma puts him in situations to fail (Ex. Faceoffs). Vitale could play PK for sure though, he's just not as proven at it. At least Glass has proven Bylsma right the past few games with dressing him. We'll see how long that lasts.

Could be a moot point though, Shero could still be in the market for a 4th line center.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch7187 View Post
I'm not too mad about it... Glass has been awful this year for the most part, but I do feel people don't give him enough credit on the PK because Bylsma puts him in situations to fail (Ex. Faceoffs). Vitale could play PK for sure though, he's just not as proven at it. At least Glass has proven Bylsma right the past few games with dressing him. We'll see how long that lasts.

Could be a moot point though, Shero could still be in the market for a 4th line center.
The only 4th line position we should be interested in is LW. Vitale, Adams and TK should fill center and RW.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Quote:
The only 4th line position we should be interested in is LW. Vitale, Adams and TK should fill center and RW.
I could see Bylsma putting Kennedy at LW if we did acquire a center though. Kennedy usually plays LW on the 2nd PP unit, and quite frankly, I think it'd be a good idea to have him there with his shooter mentality. Adams can stick at his RW spot, too. Otherwise, I am fine with either playing center, but either of them can be versatile.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch7187 View Post
I could see Bylsma putting Kennedy at LW if we did acquire a center though. Kennedy usually plays LW on the 2nd PP unit, and quite frankly, I think it'd be a good idea to have him there with his shooter mentality. Adams can stick at his RW spot, too. Otherwise, I am fine with either playing center, but either of them can be versatile.
Vitale is the 4th line center we are looking for. Why he ever sits is beyond me.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:53 AM
madinsomniac

Bennet played well enough to displace several players on the depth chart... even if you kept Adams over him because you had to or else the world will end, Glass or TK could easily be replaced with him and you add offense or better board play withoutp really sacrificing much. he has been very very good on both ends this year

Old
03-31-2013, 11:58 AM
JTG

Beau Bennett, to me, looks like a rookie Giroux. He played a 3rd line role for Philly, and was sort of an x-factor on that 3rd line because he was so good offensively. He made that team way deeper than they would have otherwise been.

Bennett getting action in the playoffs should happen, and I hope it's in a top 9 role.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Guins71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Beau Bennett, to me, looks like a rookie Giroux. He played a 3rd line role for Philly, and was sort of an x-factor on that 3rd line because he was so good offensively. He made that team way deeper than they would have otherwise been.

Bennett getting action in the playoffs should happen, and I hope it's in a top 9 role.
Barring injuries, I don't think you will see this happen

Old
03-31-2013, 12:06 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guins71 View Post
Barring injuries, I don't think you will see this happen
It'd be wise of the coaching staff to allow the guy to play and get that experience. He is in no way a step down either. He plays a gritty game, he's strong on the puck, goes to the dirty areas, and is incredibly adept at playing the defensive side of the puck. He'd be more skill infused into the lineup which is a very good thing. It makes us that much harder to play against.

Last edited by JTG: 03-31-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old
03-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
It'd be wise of the coaching staff to allow the guy to play and get that experience. He is in now way a step down either. He plays a gritty game, he's strong on the puck, goes to the dirty areas, and is incredibly adept at playing the defensive side of the puck. He'd be more skill infused into the lineup which is a very good thing. It makes us that much harder to play against.
I agree with you. I still doubt he sees the ice if we stay healthy.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Sideline

Quote:

If we accept the fact that Bylsma is gonna Bylsma the top six will be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginila-Malkin-Neal

The bottom six will be some variation of:

Morrow-Sutter-XXXX
XXXX-Adams-XXXX

With Cooke guaranteed a spot somewhere. The guys competing for the last two spots are TK, Glass, Bennett, Jeffrey, and Vitale. Glass has been a fixture on the PK so I seriously doubt they scratch him despite being one of the 2 least effective players from the group of 5 thus far.

Does TK get scratched for Bennett? I would do it, but do you really think Bylsma will scratch a guy with a ton of playoff experience for a rookie?

I would bet Bennett does not see game action from here out assuming a healthy lineup.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Bought tickets to the game hoping that Iginla would make his debut. Got lucky. The crowd was awesome after the first period too.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Waffle Fries

I doubt that Bennett will be a staple in the lineup for the rest of the year unless Shero plans on shipping a couple people out at the deadline. I personally would love to see him in the lineup, but knowing how this team works that won't be the case.

The good news is that I'm nearly positive he'll crack the lineup out of camp next year, quite possibly even in a top 6 role. Since he only played 19 games he will still be considered a rookie and maybe will have a shot at the Calder.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:24 PM
stefanh

If it was up to me I'd play Bennett on the third line with Sutter and Morrow and have a great fourth line with Cooke, Adams and Kennedy.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:43 PM
JTG

Vitale is better in every facet of the game compared to Craig Adams. I really hope Vitale doesn't get sat in favor of Adams

Old
03-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
I agree with you. I still doubt he sees the ice if we stay healthy.
I agree. There are just too many other (more seasoned) options at this point.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:49 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Vitale is better in every facet of the game compared to Craig Adams. I really hope Vitale doesn't get sat in favor of Adams
While i agree with you about Vitale not sitting out... Adams is a heart and soul guy, and he's our best PK'er. He does all the little things right.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:52 PM
JTG

I really don't think he's our best PK'er anymore. And that heart and soul stuff is a moot point. This team is filled with those type of guys.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:53 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
I agree. There are just too many other (more seasoned) options at this point.
Then comes the chicken and the egg argument. How does a guy get seasoned without actually doing it? I think it'd be very wise for the coaching staff to give him some minutes in the playoffs. I wouldn't at all be shocked to see him earn a spot on the every day roster shortly after he was given a shot.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Then comes the chicken and the egg argument. How does a guy get seasoned without actually doing it? I think it'd be very wise for the coaching staff to give him some minutes in the playoffs. I wouldn't at all be shocked to see him earn a spot on the every day roster shortly after he was given a shot.
I would have agreed prior to the recent acquisitions. Now though, I don't know where he fits. Between now and the summer we will lose a few guys and he will absolutely be a permanent roster guy, but barring injuries I just don't see him being a permanent fixture in the post season this year.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:08 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
I would have agreed prior to the recent acquisitions. Now though, I don't know where he fits. Between now and the summer we will lose a few guys and he will absolutely be a permanent roster guy, but barring injuries I just don't see him being a permanent fixture in the post season this year.
Beau Bennett would bring more to this team in the playoffs than a guy like Tyler Kennedy, Craig Adams, Tanner Glass, or Dustin Jeffrey. It's not like we're really hurting for physicality anymore, and it's not like Beau is a slouch in the physical department anyways.

He shouldn't be given consistent mins per game, but I think it'd be wise to give him some mins of playoff hockey and see how he does. I think everyone would be surprised how much he can bring to the table. There is really nothing he can't do.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:12 PM
leafspensfan

Right now I'm just hoping Sid comes back so that Iginla can move to his rightful spot on his line...

Closed Thread