HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

View Poll Results: Besides the Big 3 who would you want the Avs to draft?
Barkov 58 44.62%
Erne 1 0.77%
Lindholm 23 17.69%
Monahan 6 4.62%
Nichushkin 16 12.31%
Nurse 9 6.92%
Pulock 2 1.54%
Ristolainen 3 2.31%
Shinkaruk 6 4.62%
Wennberg 2 1.54%
Zadorov 1 0.77%
OTHER 3 2.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
From what everyone's been saying, Siemens has been playing great for the Blades.
Yeah, he's dominating out there on the ice. Sure he didn't improve too much when it comes to putting up points and goals, but his defensive game is outstanding.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Honestly though what are you basing this on? YouTube and scouting reports? Barkov has been every bit as good and probably better than Lindholm the past 2 years, and has a ridiculous skillet in his own right.
Well that's what 80% of people in here are basing it on...

From what I have read and seen, Barkov doesn't have that top end potential to be a 90+ point guy, Lindholm IMO does.

The Avs took a couple safer picks in the 1st round last time we picked, they need to take more of a risk this time then go with the safer guy.

Barkov and Mackinnon are probably the 2 safer picks in the top 5. Even at their worsts they are still probably 2nd line players. Drouin and Lindholm could still full on bust, but at the same time, they could also both become absolute monsters in the league. I have heard a lot of comparisons to Forsberg in Lindholms game, and we all know what Drouin is capable of. Both of those guys could become 100 point players just as they are likely to bust or be 50 point players.

I also don't see Barkov ever becoming as good as Toews. Getzlaf maybe, not Toews, while his basement is probably a Backes.

So as far as Lindholm vs Barkov goes. It could very well end up like a Getzlaf vs Turris in which Barkov would be by far the better player, but it could also end up as a Backes vs. Forsberg where Lindholm becomes elite.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:47 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Well that's what 80% of people in here are basing it on...

From what I have read and seen, Barkov doesn't have that top end potential to be a 90+ point guy, Lindholm IMO does.

The Avs took a couple safer picks in the 1st round last time we picked, they need to take more of a risk this time then go with the safer guy.

Barkov and Mackinnon are probably the 2 safer picks in the top 5. Even at their worsts they are still probably 2nd line players. Drouin and Lindholm could still full on bust, but at the same time, they could also both become absolute monsters in the league. I have heard a lot of comparisons to Forsberg in Lindholms game, and we all know what Drouin is capable of. Both of those guys could become 100 point players just as they are likely to bust or be 50 point players.
So basically RS posts a highlight package for Lindholm and all of a sudden he leapfrogs Barkov and Mackinnon? All of these guys are close enough together that I really don't think there's that clearcut answer between these top 5. It actually reminds me a LOT of the top 5 of the 2006 draft.

I don't mean to be a dick, I just think if you watched a bit more of Barkov you wouldn't sell him so short.

In today's NHL, true 90 point potential is pretty rare. Barkov could probably be a 70-80 point guy in his prime. I also don't think Backes/Getzlaf are good comparables for him - he doesn't have their same mean streak/physical edge. He's similar to a modern era Joe Thornton or a Sean Couturier in style. Big body and he uses it to protect the puck but is more about playmaking and positional defense. He needs to work on his skating and to a lesser extent his shot but in terms of vision, passing, defense he's already elite.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Khokhlach86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I really really like him, but I don't see anyone in the top 10 taking a gamble on him.
Very very sorry.

That's right 10 minutes ago Nichushkin single-handedly created a goal in the last minute overtime of 6 game in final conference.
http://video.khl.ru/quotes/90713

Old
03-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Foppa2118

Man would it be epic if Nichushkin slipped all the way to our 2nd pick. Don't see anyone later in the 1st passing on him, but that's been said before about a few Russians.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khokhlach86 View Post
Very very sorry.

That's right 10 minutes ago Nichushkin single-handedly created a goal in the last minute overtime of 6 game in final conference.
http://video.khl.ru/quotes/90713
He's a wonderful player and the best Russia has produced since Malkin, I would absolutely love to see him wearing an Avs logo or the CH on his cheast, but I have a pretty big concern when it comes to him wanting to come over. I secretly hope he falls enough for the Habs to pick him up.

BTW I was watching that game and the kid was playing out of his mind.

Old
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

I feel like I keep changing my mind on my own personal ranking but I agree with a couple of others who said Avs scouting staff might prefer Mackinnon to Drouin. My guess is that they would prefer

Jones
Mackinnon
Drouin
Lindholm
Barkov
Monahan

in that order with Nichushkin nowhere on their radar. Just based on what we've seen from them lately. Pracey might even have Monahan higher though I'm not the biggest fan of him.

Old
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
So basically RS posts a highlight package for Lindholm and all of a sudden he leapfrogs Barkov and Mackinnon? All of these guys are close enough together that I really don't think there's that clearcut answer between these top 5. It actually reminds me a LOT of the top 5 of the 2006 draft.

I don't mean to be a dick, I just think if you watched a bit more of Barkov you wouldn't sell him so short.

In today's NHL, true 90 point potential is pretty rare. Barkov could probably be a 70-80 point guy in his prime. I also don't think Backes/Getzlaf are good comparables for him - he doesn't have their same mean streak/physical edge. He's similar to a modern era Joe Thornton or a Sean Couturier in style. Big body and he uses it to protect the puck but is more about playmaking and positional defense. He needs to work on his skating and to a lesser extent his shot but in terms of vision, passing, defense he's already elite.
No, he didn't simply leap frog Barkov because of one highlight package. I have never been a fan of Barkov. I have always like Lindholm more then Barkov, but after watching a couple of both(albeit yes through youtube) and reading up on both of them, I wouldn't even want the Avs to take Barkov at all.

Not a fan of his game, and the fact that he is a pure Center makes it even worse IMO. I would rather take a Dman or a Winger then a Center, and even if Barkov is better then Lindholm, the difference is small enough that I would rather the Winger.

Not that it really matters though, the Avs will likely take whoever they believe to be BPA regardless, so if they believe Barkov to be the BPA when its our pick, we'll likely take him. And I have 100% trust in Mr. Pracey and co, so Im not really worried.

But in my personal opinion, and its been this way long before I watched any youtube videos of the two, but Lindholm has been my preferred choice.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Man would it be epic if Nichushkin slipped all the way to our 2nd pick. Don't see anyone later in the 1st passing on him, but that's been said before about a few Russians.
He's too good for that I think. His talent level and drive is closer to say Kovalchuk than it is to say Kabanov who fell in the draft. It does seem to be highly questionable though whether or not he's interested in coming over. I'm really curious to see who takes him.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:24 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
I feel like I keep changing my mind on my own personal ranking but I agree with a couple of others who said Avs scouting staff might prefer Mackinnon to Drouin. My guess is that they would prefer

Jones
Mackinnon
Drouin
Lindholm
Barkov
Monahan

in that order with Nichushkin nowhere on their radar. Just based on what we've seen from them lately. Pracey might even have Monahan higher though I'm not the biggest fan of him.

Agreed, and in fact I think Shinkaruk could be higher on the list as well. Its no secret the Avs like the Smaller C's from Canada for whatever reason.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if there top 5 actually looked something like this:

Jones
Mack
Drouin
Monahan
Shinkaruk

Old
03-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I think Nichushkin goes between 10th-20th. At some point his talent outweighs the Russia risk for a GM, especially when all other players available stop being can't miss.

Tarasenko doing well and Kuznetzov looking like he will make the jump probably has eased the worries of some GMs.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:41 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
As some of you said Barkov's main drawback is his skating, but it's not like you can't work on it and improve it, just look at Radar or Tavares who improved by leaps and bounds since they've entered the league. All you need is some hard work and determination and Sasha is one of the most commited prospects I've ever seen. Of the guys I was able to watch he's the clear cut #2 behind Jones.
I agree with this.
The Avs seem to be really good at improving their players' skating. Even PAP's skating seems to have improved since the start of the season. He seems to be quite a bit faster.

The more I read on all top 7 prospects, it seems to me that aside from Jones, for obvious reasons, Barkov is more the type of player the Avs love to acquire. He reminds me a lot of RoR. Weaker skating than the other guys but very high hockey IQ, very very high dedication, and already very very good defensively. It seems that, just like RoR, he would be able to jump right in the lineup and contribute a lot, at the very least defensively like RoR started. I am very very high on him.

People say that the Avs should take a bigger risk when it comes to drafting in the top 3. The way I look at it is where we stand right now in our rebuild and looking at our prospect pool, I think the Avs cannot take the chance to miss on their top pick this year. We need to improve our prospect pool with regard to top end quality players without risking a bust. I love Drouin's potential but if there is a small chance he might bust or not reach that potential than I prefer the safer pick (Barkov). I also would like the Avs to get bigger up front as they get pushed off the puck quite often. Barkov also bring that to the table.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:17 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think Nichushkin goes between 10th-20th. At some point his talent outweighs the Russia risk for a GM, especially when all other players available stop being can't miss.

Tarasenko doing well and Kuznetzov looking like he will make the jump probably has eased the worries of some GMs.
This is why I think the Caps will take Nichushkin if available. Ovi, Kuz, Galiev, and Orlov will be a good draw for Nichushkin IMO. The 90s-00s Red Wings come to mind when I think about it.

"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
Old
03-31-2013, 12:22 PM
avsman

I would trade our first for Ryan Murray. I'm probably higher on him then most, but his elite hockey IQ is so rare to go alone with amazing skating. I just don't see a way he doesn't reach the Suter/Hamhuis/Keith/OEL plethora. To me he's the perfect for with EJ very young and would be a huge help immediately. He brings a stabilizing presence this d-group would really benefit from.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:26 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
This is why I think the Caps will take Nichushkin if available. Ovi, Kuz, Galiev, and Orlov will be a good draw for Nichushkin IMO. The 90s-00s Red Wings come to mind when I think about it.
Galiev may not make it, though. I think he's playing in ECHL right now.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
I would trade our first for Ryan Murray. I'm probably higher on him then most, but his elite hockey IQ is so rare to go alone with amazing skating. I just don't see a way he doesn't reach the Suter/Hamhuis/Keith/OEL plethora. To me he's the perfect for with EJ very young and would be a huge help immediately. He brings a stabilizing presence this d-group would really benefit from.
Jones > Murray, especially post-major injury Murray.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Galiev may not make it, though. I think he's playing in ECHL right now.
Still, the heavy Russian influence already in the Caps' system makes me think he won't get past them. They don't seem to shy away from the "Russian factor" as much as other teams.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:30 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Still, the heavy Russian influence already in the Caps' system makes me think he won't get past them. They don't seem to shy away from the "Russian factor" as much as other teams.
Well, maybe Grigorenko wasn't BPA for them but the pick would have made sense for them.

But Grigs was already playing in NA so maybe he doesn't count.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:36 PM
avsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Jones > Murray, especially post-major injury Murray.
I will admit the injury would make me hesitate, but I think he will be fine. I also recognize that most people would rate Jones>Murray. I see Jones becoming a less physical Weber, and Murray becoming a Suter, and when we already have a guy with a huge shot, big body who throws it around I think Murray is more of a need.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:36 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
The caps are making a run, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make the playoffs. I think nichuskin is going to Tampa. They don't really care about the Russian factor.

Thinking about our own 2nd rounder, I wanted obr of the swedish defenders Hagg/wenneberg but they're probably not going to slide.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:45 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
If no Jones I'd like to see:

Wilson - EJ
Barrie - Hejda
Elliott - Siemens

Next year. Let the young kids make mistakes instead of our "vets". If Jones gets drafted and makes the club I'd like to see Siemens and Elliott get top pairing minutes in the A, see if they can rekindle some magic.
No. Let Siemens at least start the year at the AHL level. Elliott's had that time so I can get behind starting him on the third pairing next to SOB. But Siemens needs to start the year in the AHL. Sucks Wilson is a walking injury cause otherwise that wouldn't be bad, as is I think we need somebody else for that spot and to start wilson next to SOB until he gets hurt and Elliott gets called up.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:56 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
No. Let Siemens at least start the year at the AHL level. Elliott's had that time so I can get behind starting him on the third pairing next to SOB. But Siemens needs to start the year in the AHL. Sucks Wilson is a walking injury cause otherwise that wouldn't be bad, as is I think we need somebody else for that spot and to start wilson next to SOB until he gets hurt and Elliott gets called up.
If no Jones, than that D corps better have a top 4 dman due to a Stastny trade since I'm assuming avs took either Mack or drouin

Insert traded player - EJ
Barrie - Hejda
SOB - Elliot

I also probably think Wilson would be included in the Stastny deal

Old
03-31-2013, 02:15 PM
cgf

I doubt Wilson has too much value which is why I'm imagining:

X - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - SOB

Have Siemens - Elliott playing all of the minutes for LEM until Wilson gets hurt.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:55 AM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
I agree with this.
The Avs seem to be really good at improving their players' skating. Even PAP's skating seems to have improved since the start of the season. He seems to be quite a bit faster.

The more I read on all top 7 prospects, it seems to me that aside from Jones, for obvious reasons, Barkov is more the type of player the Avs love to acquire. He reminds me a lot of RoR. Weaker skating than the other guys but very high hockey IQ, very very high dedication, and already very very good defensively. It seems that, just like RoR, he would be able to jump right in the lineup and contribute a lot, at the very least defensively like RoR started. I am very very high on him.

People say that the Avs should take a bigger risk when it comes to drafting in the top 3. The way I look at it is where we stand right now in our rebuild and looking at our prospect pool, I think the Avs cannot take the chance to miss on their top pick this year. We need to improve our prospect pool with regard to top end quality players without risking a bust. I love Drouin's potential but if there is a small chance he might bust or not reach that potential than I prefer the safer pick (Barkov). I also would like the Avs to get bigger up front as they get pushed off the puck quite often. Barkov also bring that to the table.
Personally I couldn't disagree more. We have enough heart, grit, defensive forwards etc. Guys like Landy and ROR will probably be staples on this team for a long time and there the definition of high IQ players that play both ways as good as anybody. Duchene is even starting to become like that.

I want skill. I think it's what we lack the most. We have some skilled guys but getting another top 6 forward with elite skill is IMO the hardest to get and is right there with Drouin and Mac.

I think you're right in that's what the Avalanche aim for but I'd rather them take a home run and land a potential star, rather than a Mikko Kouivu type ceiling. We need another guy that has slick hands, a player that actually had an above average shot and has some creativity. Guys like Landy and ROR do the right thing, put the puck on the net and ROR has pretty good vision but the top 6 needs another player like Duchene. We lack highly skilled forwards. Drouin could end up a Patrick Kane like player, I've seen people compare Kessel to Mac. I'd rather those two than a ROR type player, and I think it'd benefit are team more.

I'd rather Jones, Drouin, Mack, Lindholm or even Nichushkin which I know would never happen.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:35 AM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

I would be thrilled to either draft Jones or Drouin. I am favoring Drouin more because we have no good LW's other than Lando and we don't have any high-skill offensive talent in our prospect pool except Hishon, and his health is a concern right now. We have EJ and Barrie as solid defense-men at the moment as well as Seimens, Gaunce, and Elliot developing still. Either way I will be happy if we draft 1 of those 2. Then all we have to do is fire Sacco

Closed Thread