HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Ugmo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Mar 31 2013 ( Remember this date when you read his quote )

Direct quote from the Pastor...

http://www.investmentnews.com/articl...FREE/130339998

“I've been watching what's going on and [the Coyotes] are a very competitive franchise — they went to the conference final last year,” Mr. Pastor said in an interview. “But they can't catch a break, and if they don't soon, they'll probably leave the west and go to Winnipeg or Quebec.”

OK..... Just throwing this out there, but would you trust someone or want them to buy your team and keep it Glendale, who by his own words has been watchin' what's been going on, yet doesn't even realize that Winnipeg already got a freaking team 2 years ago?!?!?!

Hey, I know Winnipeg has been successful and all, but even we want to share teams with other Canadian cities.... we don't need two NHL franchises, thanks anyway.

If Mr. Bettman is going to dig up these shills and have them them pretend to be interested, at least make sure you have them up to date on the league operations before doing so.

That's outstanding. A tire kicker who doesn't even know how to drive a car!

Old
03-31-2013, 10:36 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Nice catch! We're lucky he didn't want to bring hockey back to Ottawa.

Also, leave the west and go to WINNIPEG. Geography's not his forte.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:

“I've been watching what's going on and [the Coyotes] are a very competitive franchise — they went to the conference final last year,” Mr. Pastor said in an interview. “But they can't catch a break, and if they don't soon, they'll probably leave the west and go to Winnipeg or Quebec.”

OK..... Just throwing this out there, but would you trust someone or want them to buy your team and keep it Glendale, who by his own words has been watchin' what's been going on, yet doesn't even realize that Winnipeg already got a freaking team 2 years ago?!?!?!

Hey, I know Winnipeg has been successful and all, but even we want to share teams with other Canadian cities.... we don't need two NHL franchises, thanks anyway.

If Mr. Bettman is going to dig up these shills and have them them pretend to be interested, at least make sure you have them up to date on the league operations before doing so.
"Youth is to all the glad season of life; but often only by what it hopes, not by what it attains, or what it escapes."

Source: Thomas Carlyle

Old
03-31-2013, 10:40 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

You guys are forgetting something...

MTS is not the only arena in Winnipeg.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:42 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Bettman appears not to have any connection to this guy.

From the Burnside article:

"NHL sources told ESPN.com Friday that they were not familiar with Pastor or his interest in the team outside of being made aware of the press release sent out on behalf of Pastor earlier in the day. "

This one doesn't even rise to the level of conspiracy, it's just a bad joke.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:48 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

"NHL sources told ESPN.com Friday that they were not familiar with Pastor or his interest in the team outside of being made aware of the press release sent out on behalf of Pastor earlier in the day. "

I think you are right. With April Fools day, we will most likely see another news article from Mr. Pastor stating.. " just kidding".

Old
03-31-2013, 10:50 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

The text is from Dan Jamieson.

Mmmmm, maybe a typo in his last name???

Old
03-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Tinalera

Quote:

Didn't you know, that's going to be Bettman's troll on QC: The Peg does get a second team, they'll split home games, that way all those people on the Peg waiting list get season tickets!

That does seem a bit odd about the peg comment. What I find interesting (in the context) is that a "hockey guy" who wants the team so bad hasn't realized it's been for sale all these years? Where was this guy after the Yotes Conf final last year? You'd think he'd be "sign me up"! right after the playoffs.

Anyway, I do think this is just another tire kicker if that-unless we get something out of left field-which at this point in the saga one would think there'd be a left fielder in place already.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Tinalera

Quote:

Weren't we getting "sources" from earlier this week about the exact opposite-that the NHL was in discussions? Or was the IEH? I keep losing track.....

Old
03-31-2013, 11:03 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post

Weren't we getting "sources" from earlier this week about the exact opposite-that the NHL was in discussions? Or was the IEH? I keep losing track.....
If I understand everything correctly, the NHL has been in talks with LeBlanc (IEH) as he makes a second run at the team. When they've mentioned finding a new propsective buyer, that's who they are talking about.

This Pastor guy appears to have come out of left field, whipping up his own publicity and probably irritating the NHL in the process.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
If I understand everything correctly, the NHL has been in talks with LeBlanc (IEH) as he makes a second run at the team. When they've mentioned finding a new propsective buyer, that's who they are talking about.

This Pastor guy appears to have come out of left field, whipping up his own publicity and probably irritating the NHL in the process.
Thanks for clarification. Yes I would agree that the NHL may not like this "barge my way in" type of entry-particularly if it is as has been speculated that he's just looking for some free PR for his company and using the Yotes as his platform.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:10 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Following on that last thought, I would say that Pastor's lack of discretion is a red flag that he is on the far-far-outside of this process. If he were a serious prospect, the conversation would have started quietly and only been announced to the media when it gained at least a little traction.

This is the equivalent of showing up in the middle of a Christie's auction and loudly asking the auctioneer if he's started already. Chances are, this guy is going to be politely asked to step outside for a brief conversation with security.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
TSN seems to have been duped into thinking Pastor is legit, basically quoting the press release in the article. Are these news organizations falling for a press release? If Pastor did this to get his name/company out there, he's hit the jackpot.
Yes he has, obviously by design, and apparently they (news outlets) are falling for PR's. Just mindblowing. Is the 5th Estate so completely messed up that they either dont have the resources or is it that they just dont really care? I mean, you'd think they'd try & verify someone like that with the NHL, call up Pastor, ask some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
"Youth is to all the glad season of life; but often only by what it hopes, not by what it attains, or what it escapes."
Source: Thomas Carlyle
"Armed Robbery with a Replica? I mean, how can it be Armed Robbery with a Replica?"
Source: Robert Carlyle (Trainspotting)

Quote:
Bettman appears not to have any connection to this guy.... This one doesn't even rise to the level of conspiracy, it's just a bad joke.
They shut down the Vancouver Stock Exchange for precisely this sort of nonsense. Investor Relation Houses papering the globe with bogus press releases; "Massive Gold Find in Antarctica" type nonsense. Penny Stock Pump n' Dump Scams. Just incredible that so called mainstream media outlets would report such as fact without so much as a header indicating that its a Press Release & not "hard news".... real deal or just another Gangster with a Squirt Gun?.. primed & loaded with the kinda Kool Aide only the seriously naive, delusional or demented might favor I suppose..... Replica....cant nail him for Armed Robbery.... yet.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:16 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:

Maybe Thomson will buy the history back with the Coyotes aka Jets 1.0 and then sell the Jets 2.0 to PKP who'll move that team to Quebec after a full roster trade of course. Kind of like that proposed AHL movement with Vancouver(takes over Peroria then moves to Abbotsford) and St. Louis (takes over Chicago) swapping teams.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:58 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
If this is a bad joke, wouldn't the NHL want to distance themselves immediately, especially as reputable news outlets reported it? It doesn't help people think Gosebee/LeBlanc is any more legitimate if the allows this group to linger.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
I might have said this before, but Killion is easily in the list of the Top 10 Most Interesting People I'd Like To Meet.

So, with the AMULA tolling and the AMOA dead, and the Balkan-ization of things in Glendale... is it safe to say the mass-enhanced diva is awaiting her turn in the wings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I'm not done interrogating him.
Killion's portrait from the Business of Hockey Moderators Hall of Fame. (Or is that Hall of Shame?)

Last edited by Fourier: 04-01-2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: a little help from a friend ;)
Old
03-31-2013, 12:04 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
If this is a bad joke, wouldn't the NHL want to distance themselves immediately, especially as reputable news outlets reported it? It doesn't help people think Gosebee/LeBlanc is any more legitimate if the allows this group to linger.
Well, in the quote I cited above, the NHL says it has no idea who this guy is. So that seems like it puts a lot of distance between them.

Other than that, the typical PR response is to say nothing unless the situation demands it. Pastor can issue press releases all he wants, and can claim to be "looking into" the team. That doesn't command a response from the league.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Killion's protrait from the Business of Hockey Moderators Hall of Fame. (Or is that Hall of Shame?)
Nope... not even close.
Need more Cowbell plz Fourier...

Old
03-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
From the NY Times

"But these suitors are unlikely to succeed where previous groups failed, either in raising sufficient capital to buy the club or in forging an acceptable lease agreement for the city-owned Jobing.com Arena, the Coyotes’ home. Last week, the city of Glendale hired a Massachusetts company to seek a manager for the arena, a signal that it was no longer waiting for a new Coyotes owner to materialize."

Source: http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...?smid=tw-share

Tis the season of resurrection..it just won't be here in this desert.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:22 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
You guys are forgetting something...

MTS is not the only arena in Winnipeg.
Uh....
I'm trying to think of any other arenas in the Winnipeg area which can seat over a 1000... Maybe I just don't know the Peg that well, but nothing's coming to mind.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:31 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Mentions in ESPN, NY Times blog, and a trade rag. Brilliantly played by Pastor.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:35 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Also, leave the west and go to WINNIPEG. Geography's not his forte.
Hi. The anal retentive division of HF Boards would like to note that Winnipeg is in the geographical centre of North America, therefore making one part of the ridiculous statement by Mr Pastor correct.

Please resume dissecting the impossible.

ABD

Old
03-31-2013, 01:39 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
Hi. The anal retentive division of HF Boards would like to note that Winnipeg is in the geographical centre of North America, therefore making one part of the ridiculous statement by Mr Pastor correct.

Please resume dissecting the impossible.

ABD
The anal retentive section would also like to point out its only the center as measured by land area, but not as measured by population distribution or economic activity.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:41 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
Uh....
I'm trying to think of any other arenas in the Winnipeg area which can seat over a 1000... Maybe I just don't know the Peg that well, but nothing's coming to mind.
I am sorry, I was making a joke, motivatived by this unbelevable, fantastic, humourus statement by our finance friend.

I should have add some smileys, I know..

Old
03-31-2013, 01:42 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

The anal retentive section also does not care about the possessive versus the plural forms of "its"

Closed Thread