HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LIII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 12:43 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Chicago is pretty scary when they're on their game, or Detroit really sucks.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:46 PM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Chicago is pretty scary when they're on their game, or Detroit really sucks.
5-0 WTF not even half way through the game...Babcock can't be happy...

Old
03-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Et le But

I love how Leafs fans absolutely lose their **** if you dare claim that perhaps Kadri's 20% shooting percentage isn't sustainable and he's not guaranteed to be a 90+ point player for the rest of his career. If you assume that, you can only be jealous.

Kadri is legit unfortunately, but there's a big difference between being a good player and playing like Kadri is right now for a regular 80+ game year. You'd really think they'd have learned their lesson by now - not that Habs fans aren't occasionally guilty of overhyping small sample sizes, but the outright hostility of suggesting Kadri isn't a top 10 center in the league is outright hilarious.

Honestly, Kadri still reminds me of Ribeiro more than anything else. Maybe a slightly better shooter - give it another year before we see how much this current shooting is a fluke, but really the same exact strengths and weaknesses, it's uncanny - ridiculous hands, game defined by playmaking, physically slight, a massive diver/pest that you'd want on your side and would want to murder if he's not. I feel like if I told that to Leafs fans they'd flame me for not suggesting Kadri is more like a cross between Datsyuk and Gretzky.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Brandon Saad is making a calder push. 2 goals and an assist today. Great young player picked mid-2nd round that I have in a keeper league...and he's probably in the top 10 of the reasons why we have Galchenyuk since he was a beast vs the Sting the 2012 OHL playoffs, limiting Galchenyuk's exposure to scouts. So thank you Brandon Saad.
Hard to believe he was passed up so many times in 2011 draft (Hawks drafted 3 guys before picking him)

Saad got injured his draft year and alot of idiots questioned his work ethic because of it.... Guy is a beast

Old
03-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Nah, Kadri is the real deal. He's always had real good hands and vision just lacked confidence at the pro level. Now that he has found his place he's only going to get better.

The Leafs have their #1C, he's just not the big power centre they wanted.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Nah, Kadri is the real deal. He's always had real good hands and vision just lacked confidence at the pro level. Now that he has found his place he's only going to get better.

Be that as it may, averaging 20% in shooting efficiency seems a lot more like a one time thing. I mean, not even Stamkos averages that career wise. It makes more sense that Kadri's % will drop down.

Anyways, he's having a breakout year. Unfortunately it's only half a season. But we'll see how he grows over the years.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:28 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Kadri - Riberio comparison is rather apt.

Kadri will probably max out as a 20-50-70 pt centre. Very valuable and a good selection for their team. Worth the wait.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I always thought Derek Roy was a good comparison for Kadri, both in terms of style and career points.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Hard to believe he was passed up so many times in 2011 draft (Hawks drafted 3 guys before picking him)

Saad got injured his draft year and alot of idiots questioned his work ethic because of it.... Guy is a beast
Well Saad was also questioned for his hockey sense and his abilities to translate his offensive in the bigs. 2 BIG questions when it comes to being picked either in the 1st or 2nd. But it was indeed a miscalculation.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:37 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I always thought Derek Roy was a good comparison for Kadri, both in terms of style and career points.
I find the Ribeiro comparison to be the most accurate by far. Even down to the personality of the player. It's uncanny.

I had always questioned whether Kadri would be able to translate his game to the NHL, but he has and good on him for doing so.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post

He's the real deal, but his game is more likely to get polished in ways that won't necessarily show up on the scoresheet. He's not going to be shooting 20% forever and defenses will eventually spend more attention finding ways to exploit his weaknesses (something I think has happened to Desharnais this year for instance)

The Leafs are lucky to have him, but I don't see him being much better than Ribeiro. Not as if that's a bad thing, Ribs is a great player who the Habs never should have traded (especially for nothing). Of course anything is possible and Kadri could continue his current pace forever...but odds are that's not happening. It's amazing he's doing this with almost no power play time and mediocre at best linemates, but he's also being sheltered.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:47 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Broken jaw - Crosby - out indefinitely.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Krnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
that will give us chance to catch them up

Last edited by Krnage: 03-31-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Our Prince Of Wales Trophy hopes have gone up!

And our Cup finals hopes too. Given he misses a couple months, unlikely, but who knows.

Old
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Be that as it may, averaging 20% in shooting efficiency seems a lot more like a one time thing. I mean, not even Stamkos averages that career wise. It makes more sense that Kadri's % will drop down.

Anyways, he's having a breakout year. Unfortunately it's only half a season. But we'll see how he grows over the years.
So let say it goes down from 20% to 15%.
Then you go from 17 goals to 12.75 goals.
So you go from 39 points to 34 points.
Still very good.

But we will see, sample is small but we can say that Kadri has exploded this season.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:51 PM
deandebean

Man, can Malkin and Crosby ever play at the same time? I mean, how many games have they had with them both in the lineup at the same time?

Old
03-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
I wonder if the broken jaw came with a concussion. I hope not, for the sake of the game.

This injury could cost him the year if it is though. If not, he'll be back in a week with a cage on.

Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Derek Roy is a *****. Kadri actually has some size and physicality to his game.

Old
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
So let say it goes down from 20% to 15%.
Then you go from 17 goals to 12.75 goals.
So you go from 39 points to 34 points.
Still very good.

But we will see, sample is small but we can say that Kadri has exploded this season.
The shooting % of his linemates is also sky high. Especially Lupul since he returned.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:56 PM
HomaridII

I know that Crosby out long term might benefit us, but I sincerely hope he is fine and doesn't have another concussion.

He is far too valuable to Canadians and to the game of hockey.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:00 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
LOL @ Detroit, score in the final minute to break the shutout, salvage a bit of pride, lose 7-1.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:06 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Man, can Malkin and Crosby ever play at the same time? I mean, how many games have they had with them both in the lineup at the same time?
Hockey gods are mad at Ray Shero.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:17 PM
firstemperor

Kadri would still be a PPG if you dropped his shooting % by 5. He was also getting played 15 minutes a game for most of the season, the other top 15 scorers get around 20+. I believe his ATOI is about 16 on the dot right now. His usage has increased dramatically over the last week since Lupul has come back, they are really clicking. His efficiency would be the exact same, if not better, if you take into account the other variables.

However, if one wants to argue about sample size, there's not really a counter argument against that. Qualitatively, he's been the best player on the leafs by far. He's defintely ne of our best defensive forwards as well and can lay out the occasional big hit. His main weakness is his faceoffs. Good thing we have Bozak for those defensive zone draws, but it's something he will need to work on as he progresses. You guys are right that he doesn't provide the large, big C body that Sundin was, but I think he can potentially mitigate our #1C issue for the long haul. We could use a bigger C on of our scoring lines but the big bodies that JVR, Kulemin, and Lupul are on the boards can somewhat mitigate the issue as well.

Anyways, just chiming in, sorry if I am not wanted. I enjoy reading this board.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:22 PM
habtastic

Kadri is no doubt terrific, but what's really astonishing is last night's live rooster suck fest when Cherry is all against diving while his precious bruins are the biggest divers, second only to Kadri. The hypocrisy in this sport is just amazing. I know MAKAVELI usually does bruin dives, but a Kadri compilation would be great.

I think he's a better shooter than Ribs was at his point in his career. Kadri's been very opportunistic so far. Good for him. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

How I wish Bourque had showed up on screen and sucker punched Orr right in the studio then asked Cherry for a kiss for being such a tough guy.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

For the past season and this season though, Stamkos is indeed shooting at around 20%, which is pretty ridiculous. Just saying.

Closed Thread