HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would be better?

View Poll Results: What Would be better?
Trolling the Pens again 31 34.83%
Top 5 pick in 2013 draft 58 65.17%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2013, 07:54 PM
  #26
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 38,254
vCash: 156
Can we do both?

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:01 PM
  #27
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,757
vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
We already have a lot of great young players in the team. Sure, I'd take another one, but it's not the issue right now.
We have a few good young players. We have no defensemen and the team isn't showing that they're an imminent contender. You don't *have to* have top 3 picks, but the evidence suggests that it's much easier if you do. The Flyers don't produce talent and depth like the Bruins and Red Wings have had, and Paul Holmgren has shown he is far from the second incarnation of Keith Allen.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:05 PM
  #28
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,591
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd love to smoke the Pens and laugh at their trading away a number of their assets all for a first round exit.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:07 PM
  #29
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Can we do both?
tank and meet the Pens in the parking lot?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:03 PM
  #30
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob
 
Philadelphia Ducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,350
vCash: 500
100% I'd rather make the 8th seed and beat Pitts with all their new players and laugh at them. But that's no longer possible 8(.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:04 PM
  #31
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,580
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
100% I'd rather make the 8th seed and beat Pitts with all their new players and laugh at them. But that's no longer possible 8(.
Agreed this pathetic effort against the islanders pretty much sealed our fate.

But it would be good to kick their ass 1 more time in the playoffs , and i truley believe we would be the team to do it. This team only plays hard against the PENS.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:06 PM
  #32
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
If the team makes the playoffs I'm okay with that I just don't see them going anywhere in the playoffs so I wouldn't mind them continuing to lose and getting a top pick. That is why I chose top 5 pick. Beating the Pens would be great though so it was a close call. I suppose if the team could beat the Pens with their current roster they could probably actually make a cup run though.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:17 PM
  #33
SuchySays
Registered User
 
SuchySays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Poconos
Country: United States
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 50
8th seed. beating the Pens.. winning the cup.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:30 PM
  #34
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
On the contrary. I'll be accused of "wanting to tank", which is okay since I don't pay for every game to hope they lose, but this here is pure fact:


Penguins - we know
Red Wings - long-standing excellence once begun with top 5 picks (Yzerman, Primeau -> Shanahan)
LA Kings - Doughty, Schenn --> Richards, Hickey too, but they didn't even need him
Blackhawks - Toews, Kane
Ducks - Lupul and Smid were top 10 picks that landed them Pronger.
Hurricanes - Ladd was a depth player, but Eric Staal had 100 points
Lightning - Lecavalier was in his prime, and the team was insanely healthy, while we were not.

While not the be-all end-all, since the Islanders, Blue Jackets, Oilers, or even the Flyers are not listed here, recent history of Cup champs (and you can keep going back through the Niedermayer years of the Devils and Avalanche) seems to suggest that winning the Cup starts with being in the lottery. Of course, you have to not have inept management afterward. If that's the contention, then you better be like the Bruins and know how to use your farm system and get the draft right. In fact, given how the NBA operates, it actually works better in the NHL.
This is a great post. I believe that long term interest would involve a high draft pick. Obviously it doesn't always work out. It depends on the draft year and some luck (for a player to pan out).

Those that say that they always pull for the team to win are short sighted. In war, sometimes the best strategy is to retreat and regroup to ensure a better ability to fight in the future. I look at it like this; would I rather my team win enough to squaek into the playoffs and hurt their future success, or would I rather the team lose now to hopefully procure future success? I want to win, and I believe that the team will end up with more wins if they get a high draft pick. So, if you like winning, you should want the team to lose now to win more in the future.

To those who say that I don't want the team to win - I apparently want the team to win more than you do, because you only care about right now and could care less if the team stinks in the future. It's called delayed gratification - which doesn't exist in modern America.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:34 PM
  #35
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
I'd rather get a top 5 pick. Beat the pens, and then most likely lose in the second round to a team that can actually forecheck? No thanks..

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:24 AM
  #36
Le Oranje
Registered User
 
Le Oranje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bloomsburg, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
I'd figure out a way to manipulate the rules so that we beat the Penguins and get Seth Jones.

Le Oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 06:24 AM
  #37
Tank To Win
Registered User
 
Tank To Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Take the top 5 pick and enjoy watching the Bruins dismantle the Pigeons in the playoffs.

Tank To Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 06:28 AM
  #38
potsiev2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
if the pens win the cup i could care less... bettman gifted them that team... we need studs from this draft.. not 1 but 2

potsiev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:44 AM
  #39
feedingschennzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by potsiev2 View Post
if the pens win the cup i could care less... bettman gifted them that team... we need studs from this draft.. not 1 but 2
It's about time bettman gifts us Seth jones to keep our rivalry competitive....

feedingschennzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:59 AM
  #40
JackStraw
Moving much too slow
 
JackStraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,793
vCash: 500
Thread needs more of this...


JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:06 AM
  #41
snoop88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
This is a great post. I believe that long term interest would involve a high draft pick. Obviously it doesn't always work out. It depends on the draft year and some luck (for a player to pan out).

Those that say that they always pull for the team to win are short sighted. In war, sometimes the best strategy is to retreat and regroup to ensure a better ability to fight in the future. I look at it like this; would I rather my team win enough to squaek into the playoffs and hurt their future success, or would I rather the team lose now to hopefully procure future success? I want to win, and I believe that the team will end up with more wins if they get a high draft pick. So, if you like winning, you should want the team to lose now to win more in the future.

To those who say that I don't want the team to win - I apparently want the team to win more than you do, because you only care about right now and could care less if the team stinks in the future. It's called delayed gratification - which doesn't exist in modern America.


very well said

snoop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:45 AM
  #42
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion
 
Brostradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dub C
Country: United States
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
well i root for my team to win, bc i am a fan and thats what fans do

i still believe we will make the playoffs, so thats what i am rooting for

i dont care if its the last game of the season and we've already been eliminated from the playoffs and a loss gives us solo last place, im rooting for the flyers to win. period

anyone who "roots" for us to lose can go you-know-what themselves as far as im concerned....the players that play on the team will tell you the same thing. as herm said, "hello, you play. to win. the game"

whats the point in hoping your team loses? (dont try and convince me either bc it will never make sense in my head how i could call myself a "fan" while hoping my team loses...this is just a rant bc i am so sick of hearing people say they hope we tank..**** the first overall pick. sneak in the playoffs and go on a run)
Maybe we are in the minority but I am not a fan of the Penguins, Blackhawks, or Capitals, and never root for my team to tank. We really don't even have to root for them tank this year, they are really just that bad. I still root for the Flyers every game, even last night the bar went wild on the tying goal and Giroux's shootout goal. If we end up being one of the worst teams and get a guy like Jones, fantastic. If we made it as an 8 seed on a miracle (requiring us to virtually win every game left), and even on an even bigger one pulled off the upset it would be a thing of beauty watching half of that team go on to be UFA, the cap going down, and most of those guys wanting more money in their contracts. It's not going to happen but I'll continue to root for the Flyers to make an unfathomable historic run. All of that being said that doesn't mean I won't root for Colorado, Florida, Tampa, and Calgary to win games and give us a better pick positioning.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:02 PM
  #43
bsjr5726
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
I am still going to route for them to win games but it looks like we are getting the top 5 pick.

bsjr5726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:21 PM
  #44
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
And when we get the 8 spot and get thoroughly embarrassed by the Pens...then what? We sit there with our 16th overall pick and get a player that doesn't help us for a season or two?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:52 AM
  #45
sg12lw
Registered User
 
sg12lw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
And when we get the 8 spot and get thoroughly embarrassed by the Pens...then what? We sit there with our 16th overall pick and get a player that doesn't help us for a season or two?
yes, i suppose its better to be the oilers and win the lottery every year and never make the playoffs

apparently its just me (and a handful of others) but i'd rather be a flyer fan over the last 20 years, being a cup contender every year, than a ****ing pens fan and sucking dick for 13 of those years but winning enough lotterys to "build" a cup contender

**** that

play to win. period.

if you want your team to lose, you're rooting for the wrong ****ing franchise

**** anyone who hopes we lose (flyers "fan" or not). **** this thread. **** a top 5 pick. lets win some ****ing hockey games

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 01:33 AM
  #46
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
yes, i suppose its better to be the oilers and win the lottery every year and never make the playoffs

apparently its just me (and a handful of others) but i'd rather be a flyer fan over the last 20 years, being a cup contender every year, than a ****ing pens fan and sucking dick for 13 of those years but winning enough lotterys to "build" a cup contender

**** that

play to win. period.

if you want your team to lose, you're rooting for the wrong ****ing franchise

**** anyone who hopes we lose (flyers "fan" or not). **** this thread. **** a top 5 pick. lets win some ****ing hockey games
sorry bro, but teams have to build through the draft to be successful. I didn't know sucking for one season and holding out for one of the best prospects to come out in years was the same thing as being the Oilers or the Penguins from a few years ago. Maybe if you took a pill and got a clue, you'd be able to figure out that getting a player like Seth Jones is playing to win for a loooooooong ass time. Getting stuck with the same **** defense as last season =/= playing to win.

You can question my fanhood all you want with quotations, but I know that I'm more of a Flyers fan than you'll ever be, simply because I can accept realism and I know what it takes for this team to improve for the better. But yeah, if you'd like this team to squeak into the playoffs and get themselves embarrassed and land us a 16th overall pick, instead of a 3rd...go ahead and keep that foolish dream alive.

Just remember what got us Philly fans our infamy...booing Santa Claus. And what set those Eagles fans off? The team getting a MEANINGLESS win at the end of the season, moving down the draft board and missing out on OJ Simpson. If you have a shot at Seth Jones in this flukey ass season, you go for it.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:59 PM
  #47
sg12lw
Registered User
 
sg12lw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
sorry bro, but teams have to build through the draft to be successful. I didn't know sucking for one season and holding out for one of the best prospects to come out in years was the same thing as being the Oilers or the Penguins from a few years ago. Maybe if you took a pill and got a clue, you'd be able to figure out that getting a player like Seth Jones is playing to win for a loooooooong ass time. Getting stuck with the same **** defense as last season =/= playing to win.

You can question my fanhood all you want with quotations, but I know that I'm more of a Flyers fan than you'll ever be, simply because I can accept realism and I know what it takes for this team to improve for the better. But yeah, if you'd like this team to squeak into the playoffs and get themselves embarrassed and land us a 16th overall pick, instead of a 3rd...go ahead and keep that foolish dream alive.

Just remember what got us Philly fans our infamy...booing Santa Claus. And what set those Eagles fans off? The team getting a MEANINGLESS win at the end of the season, moving down the draft board and missing out on OJ Simpson. If you have a shot at Seth Jones in this flukey ass season, you go for it.
yes, bc the last time that we snuck into the playoffs on the last day of the season it ended up being soooo embarrassing for us ...and lord knows we could never beat pitt in the playoffs...o wait

if you dont believe we can win, thats fine...but i still think we can, and i will never hope for us to lose a single game as long as i live.

and your last sentence, implying that you think we should try and lose, makes you a pretty ****** "fan" in my book. but hey, like you said this is philly, so we should all be negative *******s right?

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:07 PM
  #48
mantis toboggan
Registered User
 
mantis toboggan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
as much as id love to troll the pens again, a top 3 pick is just too valuable to pass up this year. i think jones/drouin/mac will each be superstars. i want one of them

mantis toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:37 PM
  #49
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I can't believe so many people want to tank. The Penguins like to tank and they are still in Pennsylvanian so you can go root for them. The Flyers are not a tanking team and always try to build a winner each and every season. Once you get into the playoffs anything can happen.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 03:41 PM
  #50
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
1. Making the playoffs as an 8th seed , and doing what we did to the penguins last year?

2. Continue our losing and finish with top 5 pick
This year's team isn't going to upset anyone, except possibly the fans that voted for number two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I can't believe so many people want to tank. The Penguins like to tank and they are still in Pennsylvanian so you can go root for them. The Flyers are not a tanking team and always try to build a winner each and every season. Once you get into the playoffs anything can happen.
There's a big difference between tanking, and finishing with a top-5 pick. I want them to play hard. I just want that pick.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.