HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part X)

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Mgd31

vCash: 500
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 3m
Yes RT @Mariod10: @coreypronman Will the Devils make the playoffs?
Expand Reply Retweet Favorited More

It's okay. We have ultimate stats guru Corey Pronman on our side.

Old
03-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
To compete with Pittsburgh? Boston? Nope.
The Devils have proven they're perfectly capable of containing Pitt's top 6. Our bottom two lines will tear them up, especially against the likes of Bortuzzo, Despres, and Murray.

Old
03-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
shot selection?

Remember when Patty had a clear break on the net yesterday and through it backwards out of the zone? I do. He and Clarkson are playing like ass.
Pretty much, and the team always goes as Patty goes. We need him back in top form soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 3m
Yes RT @Mariod10: @coreypronman Will the Devils make the playoffs?
Expand Reply Retweet Favorited More

It's okay. We have ultimate stats guru Corey Pronman on our side.
Let's see what Nate Silver thinks too.

Old
03-31-2013, 05:33 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
The Devils have proven they're perfectly capable of containing Pitt's top 6. Our bottom two lines will tear them up, especially against the likes of Bortuzzo, Despres, and Murray.
I hope so. Not so sure though. We can't even beat awful teams but hopefully that's just bc of injuries/playing down to competition.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Hey, maybe we get hot again at the right time. Just make the playoffs and go to war with what you have after the trade deadline.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Devilish Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
I hope so. Not so sure though. We can't even beat awful teams but hopefully that's just bc of injuries/playing down to competition.
The Devils have never played well against awful teams. It's just apart of Devil's history almost...

Old
03-31-2013, 09:19 PM
NBC Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroku Saki View Post
Hey, maybe we get hot again at the right time. Just make the playoffs and go to war with what you have after the trade deadline.
Exactly. Just as previous Devils teams that were great during the regular season would fall apart at this time, this Devils team could come together when it matters.

One step and game at a time. No need to look too far ahead.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:40 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Have we played Pitts with Morrow and Iginlia? No...

That is a big difference not to mention they were not playing nearly this well when the Devs played them earlier in the season.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:45 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post

That is a big difference not to mention they were not playing nearly this well when the Devs played them earlier in the season.
Both are glorified 3rd liners at this point in their careers.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Agree with the poster above who said we always play down to lower teams.

Its been annoying we lose games to the worst teams in the league then in the next 3 or 4games sweep the top 4 teams in the east. Been like that for years!

Old
03-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

Quote:

The Pens do not scare me. Not with their D or Goalie. They Got trashed last year in the playoffs.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:54 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

For whatever reason Philly and Pitt always play in track meets. I don't think it's fair to use that series as precedence as they won't meet the Flyers in the playoffs

Old
03-31-2013, 10:39 PM
CerebralGenesis

I'd rather not get trashed by pitt round 1 and have to listen to that BS in this armpitt.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:48 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Like I said, I'm finding it hard to blame Moose for when he was playing poorly now seeing what we're seeing with Marty back. It's not like we were losing 4-3 all the time. Usually it was 4-2 or 3-1 or some BS. I think we only lost 1 game where we scored 3 goals, and maybe one more in a shootout while he was in for that stretch. I said if Marty was on he could have gotten us some OT points. Marty is back, and that's exactly what we're getting, OT points. So far Marty has also looked as bad as Moose in the shootout too, and for some god unknown reason this team can't finish it off in the OT period. I can't say the effort hasn't usually been there though. Last year this team would almost play the closest thing to a trap in OT just to play for the shootout. This year we stink in them. We aren't getting the stops, nor the goals in them for the most part.

We've been losing to a lot of bad teams. I've never heard of half the players for Florida in last nights lineup, and the list of scratches on the tron for them was horrendously long. We pretty much lost to a team made up of half the San Antonio Rampage last night. Can't say the wall of pads goalie was the reason last night like the one in Ottawa. No way we got 26 shots on goal to him either. It was more like 20, 22 tops. Garon could have been in for them and we still don't score more than 2.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
For whatever reason Philly and Pitt always play in track meets. I don't think it's fair to use that series as precedence as they won't meet the Flyers in the playoffs
Except that series exposed Pitt for the team they were and still are. One that can score lots of goals, but give up a lot more. We did to them in the weekend sweep against them the same thing we did to Philly last year. Malkin's head nearly exploded with how frustrated we made him. We forecheck and play real Devil's hockey we beat them.

Plus with Martin gone there D is even softer now as he has actually been solid. Who knows when Letang will be back, and now Sid is gone with a broken jaw. They don't know for sure when he and Martin will be back. No one in the east is invinciable or any sort of lock.

If we get healthy and IF we play or potential if we get in we can do some damage. Lots of ifs there, but it is possible.

Moose was still a major reason why we fell down so badly during the worst stretch. He let in some horrific goals that were almost entirely on him, and we left lots of points on the table. We complain about loser points now, but with him during that stretch we could barely get loser points. I don't think it is some coiecidense that with we have collected points in all the games Marty has played in since getting back.

Still both have been terrible in the shootouts, maybe Marty is right. The team has just straight ignored practicing shootouts at all and everyone just sucks at it right now. No one can shoot and both goalies can't stop anything in the shootout.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:41 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:

Their defence and goaltending is still suspect. I'm still not particularly worried about them. Iginla with Crosby is formidable, but not unconquerable.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:02 AM
JustinZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Like I said, I'm finding it hard to blame Moose for when he was playing poorly now seeing what we're seeing with Marty back. It's not like we were losing 4-3 all the time. Usually it was 4-2 or 3-1 or some BS. I think we only lost 1 game where we scored 3 goals, and maybe one more in a shootout while he was in for that stretch. I said if Marty was on he could have gotten us some OT points. Marty is back, and that's exactly what we're getting, OT points. So far Marty has also looked as bad as Moose in the shootout too, and for some god unknown reason this team can't finish it off in the OT period. I can't say the effort hasn't usually been there though. Last year this team would almost play the closest thing to a trap in OT just to play for the shootout. This year we stink in them. We aren't getting the stops, nor the goals in them for the most part.

We've been losing to a lot of bad teams. I've never heard of half the players for Florida in last nights lineup, and the list of scratches on the tron for them was horrendously long. We pretty much lost to a team made up of half the San Antonio Rampage last night. Can't say the wall of pads goalie was the reason last night like the one in Ottawa. No way we got 26 shots on goal to him either. It was more like 20, 22 tops. Garon could have been in for them and we still don't score more than 2.

Marty is 10-2-6.

Moose is 5-9-3.

If you prorate Marty's record for all the games we played so far we would be at about 50 points which is the second highest in the East behind Pitt.

If this team can get Kovy and Zubrus back, stay healthy, and go on a little bit of a run going into the playoffs, we can do some damage.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:09 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

this is bad, fellas. we needed more than 2 points out of those 2 games. i haven't read back through any GDTs, but both of those losses were COMPLETELY unacceptable, and PDB better be stressing that privately to his team, since he isn't publicly.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Devilish Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
this is bad, fellas. we needed more than 2 points out of those 2 games. i haven't read back through any GDTs, but both of those losses were COMPLETELY unacceptable, and PDB better be stressing that privately to his team, since he isn't publicly.
Nor should DeBoer be airing his dirty laundry to the media and public, I don't need another coach like Torts, blowing up after every loss...

I like how DeBoer handles himself with the media. Sure, we are having a not-so-great season, but then again who expected it to be great in the first place? If you ask me, we are right on par with what I thought we would be doing this season.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevilsFan44 View Post
Nor should DeBoer be airing his dirty laundry to the media and public, I don't need another coach like Torts, blowing up after every loss...

I like how DeBoer handles himself with the media. Sure, we are having a not-so-great season, but then again who expected i t to be great in the first place? If you a sk me, we are right on par with what I thought we would be doing this season.
I would expect to have about 46 points by now.
They have underachieved thus far for sure.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Devilish Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
I would expect to have about 46 points by now.
They have underachieved thus far for sure.
What would make you think that though? In all honesty, we lost Parise, Poni, Sykora, etc...

In no way would I expect more than what we are at. I'm actually pleased were in the playoff run, because that's the Devil's way...

Old
04-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
What would make you think that though? In all honesty, we lost Parise, Poni, Sykora, etc...

In no way would I expect more than what we are at. I'm actually pleased were in the playoff run, because that's the Devil's way...
I think he means with all the OT/SO points we have lost, we could have 46 points

Old
04-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Devilish Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I think he means with all the OT/SO points we have lost
Oh, well if this is the case then I'd just about agree

Old
04-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Nick0930

Two years ago, down 7 points from 8th in the standings: ''Oh my God we might actually make the playoffs!''

Today, 4 points up on 9th in the standings: ''We're screwed. No way this team makes the playoffs''.

Just gotta hang on until our boys get back and go on a hot streak at the right time.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:49 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
agreed, i wasnt trying to imply otherwise. what im saying is, he better have woken them up behind closed doors. 2 blown leads with less than a minute? in ex cu sa bl e

also

Closed Thread