HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Earth to Damien Brunner

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2013, 05:04 PM
  #1
Claypool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
Earth to Damien Brunner

Score a ****ing goal sometime!

I hope this bum isn't brought back, even if it's for cheap. It's clear he can't play at a high level for an entire NHL season. Go back to Switzerland!

Claypool is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 05:12 PM
  #2
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,539
vCash: 515
Seems a bit harsh, I do hope he picks up his play a little. This is a tough season for some of the vets with NHL experience. This schedule does nothing good for a guy adjusting, especially since he is used to playing half this amount of games a week.

I am guessing he and his agent wish they had extended at the 20 game mark.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 05:18 PM
  #3
MBauer
Registered User
 
MBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Or you could be mad at the Vets on this team who play like a pile of dog crap despite having a ton more NHL experience. Franzen only shows up or one game a week, Fil has a whopping 6 goals and 13 points and he wants 5m+, Zetterberg has 7 points in his last 15 games. The true problems of this team are far beyond Brunner.

That being said, I do hope they let Brunner walk, another team will probably give him a chance. Tatar or Nyquist deserve that roster spot, and at least one of them is gonna have to be up with the Wings next year.

MBauer is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 05:25 PM
  #4
ChadS
Registered User
 
ChadS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,737
vCash: 500
He's played over 70 games this season, while most of the others are now at about 35. Add that to only being used to playing a ~50 game regular season, and this is what it looks like. I'm sure he'll be more consistent next year.

And I guess now playing on Andersson's wing isn't exactly the best place for a sniper. Plus, I don't think he should be on the PP point.

ChadS is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 05:29 PM
  #5
FlashyG
Registered User
 
FlashyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,695
vCash: 500
MOD

At the beginning of the year almost everyone here would have been happy if Brunner scored 10 goals all season. Most people expected him to be a complete bust like Brunnstrom and Leino.

Once Brunner exceeds those expectations people are just raising the bar on him so they can call for his release.

Brunner was playing just fine offensively in the top 6, but when Zetterberg faded, Brunner stopped scoring. He was still putting up assists, but the puck wasn't going in for him.

Now he's relegated to playing garbage minutes on a garbage line so we really shouldn't be surprised that he's not producing.


Last edited by Fugu: 03-31-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: will lead to trouble
FlashyG is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 05:31 PM
  #6
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats
 
Kronwalled55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,726
vCash: 500
Is Brunner REALLY hurting anything? His defense stinks, but we finally have a right handed, shoot first guy, and now we want him gone? It's not like he's going to get close to 5 mil like a certain somebody who's been worse than Brunner.

Not to mention, I doubt even Datsyuk would pot many goals with Miller and Andersson for linemates.

Kronwalled55 is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 05:39 PM
  #7
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post

Not to mention, I doubt even Datsyuk would pot many goals with Miller and Andersson for linemates.
He was on a 10 game goal drought before he was ever put with on that line.

Brunner is very reliant on his linemates to get him the puck in good shooting positions. If they can't do that, he's not going to generate stuff on his own. Surprise surprise, Z isn't playing great either lately, or at least not putting up points. Brunner isn't going to put up points on his own.

Let's pair him with our best playmaker and see if anything can happen.

Flowah is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 05:41 PM
  #8
Xvash2
Registered User
 
Xvash2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,056
vCash: 500
Brunner isn't playing a game that suits his skills. It seems like early on in the season he was put into the slot and told to shoot when he gets it, but now he spends most of his time getting outsized and outmuscled along the boards. He needs to get back to the scoring area off the wall and get back to shooting hard and often.

Xvash2 is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 05:57 PM
  #9
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!
 
Lugaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Göteborg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
What do you expect? He's had a much longer season than most people on the team, and he was brought in to be a compliment to our top 6, not to lead them. He's not the most physical guy, and lately he's gotten less playtime, but I like what I've seen from him on the powerplay and in certain top line formations. I'd like him to get a contract extension. Brunner's not the problem with this team, faaaar from it.

Lugaid is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:03 PM
  #10
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post

At the beginning of the year almost everyone here would have been happy if Brunner scored 10 goals all season. Most people expected him to be a complete bust like Brunnstrom and Leino.

Once Brunner exceeds those expectations people are just raising the bar on him so they can call for his release.

Brunner was playing just fine offensively in the top 6, but when Zetterberg faded, Brunner stopped scoring. He was still putting up assists, but the puck wasn't going in for him.

Now he's relegated to playing garbage minutes on a garbage line so we really shouldn't be surprised that he's not producing.
MOD

While I personally am reasonably satisfied with Brunner and want him back at a reasonable salary, there are certain fans who show up in virtually every thread and piss on criticism.

Brunner is on the Wings and is one of the guys taking a roster spot from prospects who've been working their tail off in this organization for 3-4 years. So he's going to subject to expectations.


Last edited by Fugu: 03-31-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: not needed
RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:04 PM
  #11
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,342
vCash: 500
Our top 6 is a joke. So I can't be too critical of Brunner. Tatar and Sheahan should be up here. If that happened we'd have a legit top 6. These guys would be on scoring lines:

Pavs
Z
Tatar
Fil
Mule
Sheahan

Each of these guys have *legit* scoring capabilities. 4 of them are good defensive forwards. Two of them have good size while Pavs plays much bigger than his measurables would indicate. Holland just needs to get his "old guy" fetish under control and give the guys Nill has drafted a shot in Detroit.

It's really that simple. I'm not even asking for us to make trades, which would petrify Holland.

Harnessed in Slums is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:05 PM
  #12
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
He was on a 10 game goal drought before he was ever put with on that line.

Brunner is very reliant on his linemates to get him the puck in good shooting positions. If they can't do that, he's not going to generate stuff on his own. Surprise surprise, Z isn't playing great either lately, or at least not putting up points. Brunner isn't going to put up points on his own.

Let's pair him with our best playmaker and see if anything can happen.
A logical coach would have put Franzen with Zetterberg and Brunner with Datsyuk before sticking Brunner on line 3/4

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:07 PM
  #13
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Is Brunner REALLY hurting anything? His defense stinks, but we finally have a right handed, shoot first guy, and now we want him gone? It's not like he's going to get close to 5 mil like a certain somebody who's been worse than Brunner.

Not to mention, I doubt even Datsyuk would pot many goals with Miller and Andersson for linemates.
Who is "We?"

Exactly how many people support the idea of letting Brunner walk?

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:11 PM
  #14
Shoalzie
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 14,053
vCash: 500
Without him for most of this season, this team couldn't score for squat. He'll turn it around...he might just be one of those streaky scorers like Franzen has been throughout his career.

Shoalzie is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:14 PM
  #15
GT500x
Im OK where we're at
 
GT500x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: My comfort zone
Country: United States
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
Not I. This is only his first season and he isn't a detriment to the team, no more than Cleary at least.

GT500x is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:22 PM
  #16
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
A first year player in a coldstreak. Impossible. Dude is still a 30 goal man. Hope we bring him back

CloneHakanPlease* is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:24 PM
  #17
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
Not I. This is only his first season and he isn't a detriment to the team, no more than Cleary at least.
I think Brunner has shown he's more valuable than Cleary, Abs and that bunch

Right now, on this team, we have Pavel Datsyuk ---
And everyone else.
Brunner, Zetterberg, Franzen, Flip -- and Tatar, they all score about the same rate

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:27 PM
  #18
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,258
vCash: 500
even with his slump of late he's still pacing like 24 goals over 82 games so far this year,not bad for a rookie

besides it's not just him,what's zetterberg done lately really?

ricky0034 is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:37 PM
  #19
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Everything you can say about Brunner you can say about Franzen, so if we're sending Brunner back to Switzerland, we might as well send Franzen back to Sweden as well. Everyone on this team goes through peaks and valleys pretty much, except Datsyuk.

Abdelkader went an entire calender year without scoring a goal .

If we're going to start holding guys accountable you might as well make a list instead of trying to single out individuals.

Frk It is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
  #20
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Our top 6 is a joke. So I can't be too critical of Brunner. Tatar and Sheahan should be up here. If that happened we'd have a legit top 6. These guys would be on scoring lines:

Pavs
Z
Tatar
Fil
Mule
Sheahan

Each of these guys have *legit* scoring capabilities. 4 of them are good defensive forwards. Two of them have good size while Pavs plays much bigger than his measurables would indicate. Holland just needs to get his "old guy" fetish under control and give the guys Nill has drafted a shot in Detroit.

It's really that simple. I'm not even asking for us to make trades, which would petrify Holland.
I'm a big fan of Sheahan and have always defended him on people who criticized him when he was at ND. But for someone who is critical of Nyquist and Murask I think it is a bit premature to proclaim that he would provide legit scoring capability at the NHL level. In terms of production he has less points and goals than Francis Pare and Jeff Hoggan at the moment in the AHL. Don't think that makes him a guarantee to be an improvement in the top 6 right now. I think he'd step in and improve the bottom 6 and PK right away though.

Tatar I totally agree with. He provided a spark and energy to the team that we desperately need. Plus an infusion of skill and skating. And as you mentioned in other posts he was very productive at even strength. Unlike Cleary.

Frk It is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:51 PM
  #21
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
If we finish 7th and lose in round 1 -- and we didnn't even manage to break in Nyquist and Tatar -- IMO, this will have been a wasted year

Tatar should have started fulltime with us last year. Nyquist should have gotten a shot last year too.
Next year should be about Sheahan and maybe Ferraro

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:53 PM
  #22
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
If we finish 7th and lose in round 1 -- and we didnn't even manage to break in Nyquist and Tatar -- IMO, this will have been a wasted year

Tatar should have started fulltime with us last year. Nyquist should have gotten a shot last year too.
Next year should be about Sheahan and maybe Ferraro
I feel like people won't realize this if/until we have a year where we miss the playoffs and struggle to score. But I agree with you completely. We need to transition sooner rather than later.

Frk It is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 06:53 PM
  #23
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,539
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I'm a big fan of Sheahan and have always defended him on people who criticized him when he was at ND. But for someone who is critical of Nyquist and Murask I think it is a bit premature to proclaim that he would provide legit scoring capability at the NHL level. In terms of production he has less points and goals than Francis Pare and Jeff Hoggan at the moment in the AHL. Don't think that makes him a guarantee to be an improvement in the top 6 right now. I think he'd step in and improve the bottom 6 and PK right away though.

Tatar I totally agree with. He provided a spark and energy to the team that we desperately need. Plus an infusion of skill and skating. And as you mentioned in other posts he was very productive at even strength. Unlike Cleary.
Sheahan has had a very good rookie season he is a better option than Andersson in the bottom six right now. Top 6 right now is probably pressuring him into a bad area.

Combine the long season and the fact when Nyquist went up his offense has really suffered. Still love the way he plays the games and the tools he has, but agree fabricoh is asking a lot of him here.

Tatar and Sheahan are a big part of the Griffins struggles right now the last couple of weeks. Neither guy is playing excellent hockey right now. I like both a lot but that is the honest truth.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 07:01 PM
  #24
The Nose
#FireHolland
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,513
vCash: 500
Zetterberg has been playing like **** for the past two months and Brunner hasn't been put on Datsyuk's wing once.

He deserves blame for his major slump, but a guy like him needs a legit playmaking center which neither Zetterberg nor Andersson are at the moment.

The Nose is online now  
Old
03-31-2013, 07:01 PM
  #25
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Sheahan has had a very good rookie season he is a better option than Andersson in the bottom six right now. Top 6 right now is probably pressuring him into a bad area.

Combine the long season and the fact when Nyquist went up his offense has really suffered. Still love the way he plays the games and the tools he has, but agree fabricoh is asking a lot of him here.

Tatar and Sheahan are a big part of the Griffins struggles right now the last couple of weeks. Neither guy is playing excellent hockey right now. I like both a lot but that is the honest truth.
You guys are missing the larger point. Go ahead and put Sheahan on the third line and bump Andersson up to a scoring line. Andersson is generating offense, deal with it already.

Harnessed in Slums is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.