HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban's play since coming back Part 2

Old
03-31-2013, 06:28 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhyZa View Post
How much do you think PK will get on his next contract?
Hopefully in the $6-7 million range.

He deserves every single dollar.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:29 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Did you realize that Josh Gorges plays for the Montreal Canadiens?

Although he does not play for the Montreal Subbans. So you might have a point regarding that "other" team.
Did you realize that Subban himself, and not the treatment he received from teammates through the media, is responsible for his own play, and that he and his play have more to do with the success of the Montreal Canadiens than anything Josh Gorges will ever do: least of all being a wiener publicly?

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 06:35 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Did you realize that Subban himself, and not the treatment he received from teammates through the media, is responsible for his own play, and that he and his play have more to do with the success of the Montreal Canadiens than anything Josh Gorges will ever do: least of all being a wiener publicly?
The day a GM decides that having a shot blocker on D is not that big of a deal is the day that the team heads down the path of becoming a non-factor in the NHL.

Subban does what he does very well and it helps the team win.

Gorges does what he does very well and it helps the team win.

You cannot be successful without having a combination of both. Most hockey minds and GMs realize that.

But in the world of "I'm a fan of Subban", that tends to get lost.

I am thankful that the CANADIENS have both DMen on the team.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:44 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
The day a GM decides that having a shot blocker on D is not that big of a deal is the day that the team heads down the path of becoming a non-factor in the NHL.

Subban does what he does very well and it helps the team win.

Gorges does what he does very well and it helps the team win.

You cannot be successful without having a combination of both. Most hockey minds and GMs realize that.

But in the world of "I'm a fan of Subban", that tends to get lost.

I am thankful that the CANADIENS have both DMen on the team.
Literally not one person has said they would rather not have Gorges than have Gorges. Even Kriss E, to whom you responded in a typically evasive way, said that Gorges is a great shot-blocker.

What a few people could do without, is Gorges' attitude towards Subban.

You're a big boy. You can see the difference between:

"I think Josh Gorges should focus on his own play, and perhaps show a little more support for his team-mate in the media."

and

"I wish Josh Gorges weren't on the team."

Old
03-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
It didn't seem to bother PK that much, did it? Looks like it might even have motivated him...
I don't see how it wouldn't have bothered him. And I don't think it affected his play one bit.

I'm telling you, we're lucky PK really wanted to play here because he could've easily told us to shove it after that lowball offer. And all he got from a lot of people even after accepting it was grief. Folks in the media (and on these boards) trying to equate him with MDZ didn't know what they were talking about.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 07:05 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't see how it wouldn't have bothered him. And I don't think it affected his play one bit.

I'm telling you, we're lucky PK really wanted to play here because he could've easily told us to shove it after that lowball offer. And all he got from a lot of people even after accepting it was grief. Folks in the media (and on these boards) trying to equate him with MDZ didn't know what they were talking about.
IMO, Subban's play is a function of his attitude, and capacity to put up with as much ******** as he has: not the ******** he's had to put up with as some are implying.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:32 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Hopefully in the $6-7 million range.

He deserves every single dollar.
I think we're probably talking north of 7 million at this point.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 07:52 PM
icerocket

Gorges needs to shut up already. I hope he doesn't get the C.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:20 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I think we're probably talking north of 7 million at this point.
I doubt it.

I expect him to get a contact similar to Karlsson's.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who didn't appreciate Gorges attitude and public comments. Probably still in the minority but I'm not alone, yay!

As for Gorges, I think he's a valuable player for the team and does some hard things that take a lot of heart. I just think his play has really slipped, and I'm not sure if its just an off year, bloated ego from his contract, or the increased pressure that comes with the big contract. I just want him to focus on his game and help the team as best as he can and not worry about trying to be a leader of the team off the ice.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Gally11

I don't get all the Gorges talk last time I seen him say anything it was on Antichambre last night and he was saying things like playing with PK makes his job easier and they love watching him do what he's doing right now and that simplifying his game has made the points and game come to him lol... Nothing negative...

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:03 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
I don't get all the Gorges talk last time I seen him say anything it was on Antichambre last night and he was saying things like playing with PK makes his job easier and they love watching him do what he's doing right now and that simplifying his game has made the points and game come to him lol... Nothing negative...
It was during the contract negotiations. He talked a little too much about PK's situation. He should have kept his mouth shut.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:05 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who didn't appreciate Gorges attitude and public comments. Probably still in the minority but I'm not alone, yay!

As for Gorges, I think he's a valuable player for the team and does some hard things that take a lot of heart. I just think his play has really slipped, and I'm not sure if its just an off year, bloated ego from his contract, or the increased pressure that comes with the big contract. I just want him to focus on his game and help the team as best as he can and not worry about trying to be a leader of the team off the ice.
I'm with you dude. I had a problem with his comments the day he made them. Gorges is a much better player when he's making a $2-2.5M. Not 4M.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:07 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
It's easy to compliment Subban when things are going so well. But it's the comments he made when nearly everyone else was criticizing PK that just rubs me the wrong way. I agree with the others, Gorges definitely didn't behave like a captain earlier in the season. But what can you expect, he's never been a captain

Last edited by SB164: 03-31-2013 at 10:16 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:17 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
It's easy to compliment Subban when things are going so well. But it's the comments he made when nearly everyone was criticizing PK that just rubs me the wrong way. I agree with the others, Gorges definitely didn't behave like a captain earlier in the season. But what can you expect, he's never been a captain
Not even in Junior??

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Not even in Junior??
He threw up a sarcasm face to tease the people who have gone on about how he was a captain in junior.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:30 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Literally not one person has said they would rather not have Gorges than have Gorges. Even Kriss E, to whom you responded in a typically evasive way, said that Gorges is a great shot-blocker.

What a few people could do without, is Gorges' attitude towards Subban.

You're a big boy. You can see the difference between:

"I think Josh Gorges should focus on his own play, and perhaps show a little more support for his team-mate in the media."

and

"I wish Josh Gorges weren't on the team."
People are still butt-hurt about what Gorges said in January???

It does not make any sense when Habs fans say stuff like Gorges needing to be taken down a peg or that Gorges is just a shot blocker so he does not compare to Subban.

Both are integral parts of this team. There is absolutely no reason to take shots at one DMan in order to pump up Subban.

Subban's play on the ice does not need any pumping.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:42 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
He threw up a sarcasm face to tease the people who have gone on about how he was a captain in junior.
I know. I guess I should've thrown one up myself. Actually, this gag has been going on for so long, I didn't think it needed a

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:30 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
People are still butt-hurt about what Gorges said in January???

It does not make any sense when Habs fans say stuff like Gorges needing to be taken down a peg or that Gorges is just a shot blocker so he does not compare to Subban.

Both are integral parts of this team. There is absolutely no reason to take shots at one DMan in order to pump up Subban.

Subban's play on the ice does not need any pumping.
I really don't understand where you thought people were comparing PK to Gorges.
There's no argument about which one of those two is better, but as you said, they each have their purpose on our team.
However, my point was that I'd like my #3 Dman to bring a little more, like a physical edge, to the table. Someone similar to Orpik. That doesn't mean Gorges is useless, and nobody is comparing to Subban.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:44 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
I doubt it.

I expect him to get a contact similar to Karlsson's.
If we get him for less than 7 million, I'd be so so happy.

I really think some people still underrate him.

There's nothing you can say or show me that will shake my belief that he'll go down as one of the greatest to play the game.

I actually can't help but be a little sick of people talking about him whether he's one of the top 5 D men in the league or not. Subban is pure clutch. He was in his rookie year, not so much last year but now he's a player that can impose his will just about whenever he wants to.

No one I'd trade for him. No one even close.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:53 AM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

Priceless

Carey Cost* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:02 AM
SidKadri*

I'm a Leafs fan, but I like Subban and am a little envious the Leafs don't have a strong defensive player like him. Although I will say I prefer a habs vs Leafs playoff because it will be dirty and nasty

SidKadri* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 05:10 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
If the 2007 draft had to be redone knowing what we know today, where would PK be picked?
1. Patrick Kane (CHI)
2. PK Subban (PHI)
3. Jamie Benn (PHX)
4. Ryan McDonagh (LA)
5. Max Pacioretty (WSH)
6. Logan Couture (EDM)
7. Wayne Simmonds (CLB)
8. David Perron (BOS)
9. James VanRiemsdyk (SJ)
10. Kevin Shattenkirk (FLA)
11. Jakub Voracek (CAR)
12. Sam Gagner (MTL)
13. Kyle Turris (STL)
14. Karl Alzner (COL)
15. Brandon Sutter (EDM)
16. Lars Eller (MIN)
17. Mikael Backlund (NYR)
18. Matt Frattin (STL)
19. T.J. Galiardi (ANA)
20. Brendan Smith (PIT)
21. Keaton Ellerby (EDM)
22. Alec Martinez (MTL)

I'm much more happy with PK and Patches.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:38 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

Cherry not bashing Subban or the Habs...about time.
(I must be dreaming...a whole 37 seconds on CBC!! they must really hate complimenting the Habs!).

And...another Orr comparison (loving it).

I still think today's hockey is a lot faster, way more dangerous, taller/bigger players, heavier equipment...harder to be a dominating dman today VS in the 60s, 70s and 80s...imho. Harder to score on golaies VS 30-40 yrs ago...no doubt about that. Not to take away any respect from hockey in the past, but...today's hockey is just so much faster and tougher (also more concussions today for a reason).

Gorges and Markov: I'm a huge Gorges fan (especially when he was making less!), but what he said back then in January...that's in the past, but I have to admit...I didn't like his face (facial expression) when he said those things...''why talk about him...this is a team game...let's talk about the team''. Sheesh...it was made so obvious that they just didn't want to welcome Subban back...so obvious. Same with Markov...didn't like how Markov said ''we talk about him when he's in the dressing room...right now he's not here'' (really didn't like how cold they both sounded...like they wanted to ignore Subban like he was **** to the team...).

Go Subban Go!!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-01-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote