HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ben Bishop for Curtis Glencross

Old
03-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Disagree. Seems pretty fair to me.
3rd goalie for a Top-9 forward with grit, yeah, not so much.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tont

vCash: 503
Glencross' value is extremely high right now - it would take much more than people are talking about in this thread. His 82 game goal scoring paces for the last three seasons are 25, 32 and 37 this year. Those numbers for a fast physical player locked up for two more years at 2.55 million brings back a first and good prospect easily.

Tont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Bishop is a giant goalie, who's been hyped like CRAZY for 2 years, Ottawa got "hooked" into sending over a 2nd, now they want that or better back.

Remember, he's the guy who St Louis had So Little confidence in as a backup they Signed BRIAN ELLIOT.

Glencross is a gritty, speedy forward who can score and will make a difference in the playoffs.

Basically the Sens get a top-6/9 forward with grit for a their 3rd goalie, that's a MASSIVE Win every time.

This post shows how ill-informed you are on the situation in STL and OTT.

STL signed Elliott to a two way contract. They had Halak/Elliot/Bishop all at training camp fighting for a spot. Elliott and Bishop were very comparable in camp but they opted to go with Elliott because he had NHL experience.

STL had to trade Bishop because they were in danger of losing him as a class 6 UFA. So they traded him to Ottawa who needed another goalie when Anderson cut his hand while preparing frozen chicken. No joke.

Bishop has proven in Andersons absence to be a legit starting goalie.

Was Bishop worth a 2nd at the time? Yes. Is Bishop worth more now that he has proven himself in the league? Yes.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:07 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
This isn't close in value or plausible as Glencross has a NTC and doesn't want to leave Alberta.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

vCash: 500
Can't see Glen x going to the east he has a ranch in Alberta and would not waive his ntc

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:08 PM
IranCondraAffair

If Ottawa gets GlenX for Bishop, we'll need to start a suicide hotline for Flames fans.

I will volunteer for it too because I'll feel so bad for them.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:08 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Bishop is a giant goalie, who's been hyped like CRAZY for 2 years, Ottawa got "hooked" into sending over a 2nd, now they want that or better back.

Remember, he's the guy who St Louis had So Little confidence in as a backup they Signed BRIAN ELLIOT.

Glencross is a gritty, speedy forward who can score and will make a difference in the playoffs.

Basically the Sens get a top-6/9 forward with grit for a their 3rd goalie, that's a MASSIVE Win every time.
Ottawa didn't get "hooked" in to trading a 2nd rounder for Bishop. He was a quality prospect that St. Louis had to do something with due to his unique pending free agency status. They had to make a move or risk losing him for nothing.

As for your last paragraph, you're completely wrong. Bishop is without a doubt a #2 and is more than capable of handling the top job while Andy is out.

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:09 PM
burf

Quote:
He's the Sens starting goalie right now, and he's top-10 in the league in save percentage.

He's one of the best NHL-ready goalie prospects in the league, and the only reason he's being moved is because he's stuck on a team with an established #1 (Anderson) and the best goalie prospect in hockey (Lehner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
This post shows how ill-informed you are on the situation in STL and OTT.

STL signed Elliott to a two way contract. They had Halak/Elliot/Bishop all at training camp fighting for a spot. Elliott and Bishop were very comparable in camp but they opted to go with Elliott because he had NHL experience.
According to Blues fans at the time, Bishop actually outplayed both the other guys in camp, but he got sent down because he was the only one on a 2-way contract. I imagine they thought he'd get a few games here and there over the course of the season to keep him RFA-eligible, but then Elliot's extreme fluke season kept them from doing that.

burf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Gary83*

Lol. Sens can just keep Ben "Superstar" Bishop.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:12 PM
burf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Lol. Sens can just keep Ben "Superstar" Bishop.
I don't think many people are saying that he's worth a guy like Glencross on his own (at least as a non-rental), just that people here are severely underestimating Bishop.

He's outplaying 2/3 of the other starters in the league right now, but people are calling him a "3rd goalie". At worst, he's a fully capable 1A/1B type goalie this season, with potential to be a good full-time starter.

burf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:15 PM
Guido Sarducci

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiCounter View Post
Good. Glencross is a lazy whiner that plays like **** half the time. He suffers from "thinks he's a star" syndrome. He's extremely prone to taking a dumb penalty and then sitting in the box with a pouty face.
I think you are confusing Curtis Glencross for.............just about every player on the Flames except Curtis Glencross.

Guido Sarducci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:15 PM
Langdon Alger*

Are people still talking about this?

Again, it's Bruce Garrioch. He has zero sources. The next time he gets something right will be the first time.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:16 PM
megajake

How do the Flames get shafted here? Glencross is a decent 2/3rd liner, Bishop has been fantastic. What am I missing here?

megajake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:16 PM
sensfan44
peacetowersens

Quote:
Please stop posting.

sensfan44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by megajake View Post
How do the Flames get shafted here? Glencross is a decent 2/3rd liner, Bishop has been fantastic. What am I missing here?
Same here. Brossoit's gonna need a few more years of seasoning, Gillies is a ways away, and Ramo was no great shakes the last time he was in the NHL; I don't see how adding a solid, young #1 potential goalie is a bad thing?!

03-31-2013, 08:18 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Curtis Glencross is absolutely a legitimate top six forward.
25+ goal scorers don't grow on trees folks, nevermind players signed for 2.5M dollars.

Ben Bishop has impressed for a whopping 13 game sample size at the age of 26. He does not hold the value of a proven goal scorer signed to one of the leagues best value contracts.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Tont

Quote:
You're missing that Bishop is completely unproven and Glencross is in no way shape or form a 3rd liner, he's a legit top 6 forward on one of the best contracts in the league.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post

Again, it's Bruce Garrioch. He has zero sources. The next time he gets something right will be the first time.
I love when people hate on Bruce. He is far more connected then people give him credit for. Called a number of trades and signings before anyone else.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:20 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Seriously? Glencross is a 25+ goal scorer who kills penatlys and plays physically he is the perfect 2nd line winger signed to one of the best contracts. Bishop is having a good season but I find it hard to believe he repeats that success on the Flames and we potentially have Ramo coming over next year for free why move Glencross?

Old
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post

I hate the guy too, but he got one earlier in the season already, and he's had quite a few in the past too.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Same here. Brossoit's gonna need a few more years of seasoning, Gillies is a ways away, and Ramo was no great shakes the last time he was in the NHL; I don't see how adding a solid, young #1 potential goalie is a bad thing?!
It's pretty brutal unless the Sens realy add.

Old
Tont

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
It's not a bad thing if we were giving up commensurate value. Glencross is worth FAR more than Bishop, and truly in this case it's not even close. Anyway, we can all rest assured this trade won't be going down as Glencross isn't waiving his NMC, and the Flames won't ask him to.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:22 PM
Some Other Flame

Flames fans should relax. This isn't a rumour, it's baseless speculation by Garrioch.

Quote:
If the Flames are to move Glencross, a competitive player with decent skills, they'll likely ask for Ben Bishop in return. The Senators would like to move a goalie sooner or later, but might hold off because of Craig Anderson's health.
Key words in bold. There's nothing to suggest Glencross would actually be moved for Bishop, just that Garroich thinks it's a possibility. And considering Garrioch's awareness of the Western teams, I'm not worried about the possibility of this coming to fruition whatsoever.

Now, what Flames fans should be curious about is the following:

Quote:
Glencross, 30, who's making $2.55 million through 2014-15 and has 22 points this season (14 goals, eight assists), is among the names being made available by Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster, who started the club's rebuild last week by sending Jarome Iginla to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Again, Garrioch, who isn't the most reliable of 'journalists', but there's a lot of smoke about Glencross being available. Glencross should return a fortune on the market, but does he waive his NMC? And do the Flames actually ask him to, after he left money on the table for the NMC?

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:22 PM
trobby

Personally I think Bishop + Da Costa for Glencross is pretty fair value.
(Forget all this NMC/NTC stuff for a second).

Bishop at worst will end up being a 1B goalie, and Da Costa has 2nd line potential.

Glencross has scored well his last 2.5 years. But he's never hit 50 points in a season. At best he's a 2nd liner...most of his career he's a 2nd/3rd line guy.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:23 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Ottawa Sun = Garrioch. No way Flames do that deal. Total #fleecing.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote