HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Earth to Damien Brunner

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Melbourne Ice
Happy Happy Happy!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Melbourne Ice
The truth is that Brunner is not as good as he was at the start of the year, and he's not as bad as he is now. He already played nearly a full season in Europe and has played nearly every game here.

He's young, learning and a bit tired. But, remember all those comments about him earlier, how he's trying to learn, to round out his game? That's not the kind of guy you give up on when things get tough.

My worry for him is that now that he's lost his top 6 status with uncle Mike, he may struggle mightily to get it back.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Flowah
I choose to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Our top 6 is a joke. So I can't be too critical of Brunner. Tatar and Sheahan should be up here. If that happened we'd have a legit top 6. These guys would be on scoring lines:

Pavs
Z
Tatar
Fil
Mule
Sheahan

Each of these guys have *legit* scoring capabilities. 4 of them are good defensive forwards. Two of them have good size while Pavs plays much bigger than his measurables would indicate. Holland just needs to get his "old guy" fetish under control and give the guys Nill has drafted a shot in Detroit.

It's really that simple. I'm not even asking for us to make trades, which would petrify Holland.
You'd still have to get past Babcock's Iron Wall of Veteran Love.

Do you think he's going to start putting Tatar on the top6 when he hasn't all year and was impressing us in his 18 games up? Not unless Holland yanks the leash hard, and we have no indication of that ever happening.

His first instinct is always to put big physical grinders in the top six if something isn't working.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:32 PM
detredWINgs

Why is this even a thread? He proved he can play in the NHL. Now he's hit a wall, like almost all first-year NHL players do after playing out half a season. This shouldn't be surprising. If he were a 22 year old rookie coming out of the AHL, we'd all be stoked that he's already tallied double-digit goals.

We should be happy he cooled off. Now we should be able to sign him to a reasonable deal, if he wants to stay.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Flowah
I choose to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Everything you can say about Brunner you can say about Franzen, so if we're sending Brunner back to Switzerland, we might as well send Franzen back to Sweden as well. Everyone on this team goes through peaks and valleys pretty much, except Datsyuk.

Abdelkader went an entire calender year without scoring a goal .

If we're going to start holding guys accountable you might as well make a list instead of trying to single out individuals.
Even if Brunner isn't scoring, I never see him not skating. Which is one thing he has different from Franzen for me.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:37 PM
Harold Snepsts

Bum?

I know he's not a young rookie but in his first season in the NHL he has more goals than anyone on the Wings not named Pavel Datsyuk.

He has some defensive issues and needs to adjust to the NHL season, but shift after shift that bum works harder and has more points than Franzen and Flip.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Frk It
#Snipequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Even if Brunner isn't scoring, I never see him not skating. Which is one thing he has different from Franzen for me.
That is a pretty big difference. He always looks engaged and is like a sponge in terms of trying to make improvements to his game. Seems like he has the right attitude for sure. Also seems pretty humble so hopefully he doesn't ask for a ton of money

Old
03-31-2013, 09:10 PM
LeighDx13

I still can't believe he hasn't been tried with Pavel. Datsyuk creates space and sets plays up which would help Brunner with the shots. It seems everytime Brunner takes a shot it goes wide or it goes off of the defenders stick.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:44 PM
RedWinger10

He looked better than anyone else today. He looked like he was actually trying out there in like EVERYBODY else on the team. I think the problem is the lines he is put on. PUT HIM WITH DATSYUK!!!!! Am I the only one who seems to think this is a great idea. What is Abby doing on the top line with Datsyuk? He's a grinder, get him outa there. Sure he had a fluke game in Aneheim where he put up 3G and 1A. He will never do that again, i don't care who you put him with.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:58 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighDx13 View Post
I still can't believe he hasn't been tried with Pavel. Datsyuk creates space and sets plays up which would help Brunner with the shots. It seems everytime Brunner takes a shot it goes wide or it goes off of the defenders stick.
Did Brunner not start the season with Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Sure it was short lived and I would like to see Pavel and Brunner together now, but people should stop saying he has never been with Datsyuk, he has, they also share the ice on the PP often.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:13 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
I don't think i've seen Brunner finish a check this season. He's lost defensively and soft on the puck. If he's scoring, you can overlook those things, but it's tough to at this point.

Basically he's either a top six winger or not an NHLer.

Definitely not worth a pricey contract. Flip brings a lot more to the table in terms of all around game and would be a much more valuable re-signing.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:38 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
I don't think i've seen Brunner finish a check this season. He's lost defensively and soft on the puck. If he's scoring, you can overlook those things, but it's tough to at this point.

Basically he's either a top six winger or not an NHLer.

Definitely not worth a pricey contract. Flip brings a lot more to the table in terms of all around game and would be a much more valuable re-signing.
Right. Filppula, who is on pace for 38 points (which is also a historically accurate projection), would be a much more valuable re-signing at $5M than a first year NHL player who is on pace for 50 points and would cost half as much based on precedent alone.

And Brunner is soft, but let's not hold that against Filppula...Even though the career European player in Brunner is on pace for 43 hits while 7 year NHL vetearn Filppula is on pace for 32 (which, mind you, is typical for his career).

Not to mention, for all the talk that Filppula is so great defensively, he and Brunner have the worst GAA per 60 minutes of play of all Red Wings forwards. And last year, Filppula was 3rd worst on the team among regular forwards in that respect (right behind Jiri Hudler, who everyone loved to bash for his allegedly horrific defensive game), so its not like this is some new thing. In fact, there is a strong correlation between Filppula's defensive game deteriorating the more he is relied upon for offense.

And to top it all off, Brunner is 3rd on the team with 17 takeaways (compared to just 11 giveaways, which ranks 11th), while Filppula has 12 giveaways compared to 11 takeaways.

Contracts aside is Filppula more valuable than Brunner? If this is as good as Brunner gets, then sure. But would Filppula be the more valuable re-signing when taking into account their respective projected contract demands? Laughable.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:07 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Filppula is a much more complete player than Brunner. Flip's speed allow's Zetterberg to be a center. And Flip also has the speed, skill and smarts to play a solid but unspectacular two-way center's game,

Comparing salary demands is ridiculous.,
If Brunner was a UFA with a 6 year NHL track record, you better believe he'd be asking for $4 or $5M.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:11 AM
tfong

He is just hitting the physical wall between Europe and NHL league differences. I think with a real off season with the wings trainers he will be better geared for the rigors of the NHL next year.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:13 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

People still think Filppulla is a top defensive forward!?

Old
04-01-2013, 12:45 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Filppula is a much more complete player than Brunner. Flip's speed allow's Zetterberg to be a center. And Flip also has the speed, skill and smarts to play a solid but unspectacular two-way center's game,

Comparing salary demands is ridiculous.,
If Brunner was a UFA with a 6 year NHL track record, you better believe he'd be asking for $4 or $5M.
Ah, yes. That's why when Zetterberg was getting Hart Trophy glances during the first 15 games of the season, his linemates were Brunner and Franzen.

And he's got such a solid two-way game that he's been bottom 3 among Wings forwards for even strength goals against when he's on the ice. For 2 years in a row.

And he's so complete, that he's ranked dead last in hits among our top 12 regular forwards - including Hudler - for at least 3 seasons running now!

(And he'd score a lot more if he just got top 6 ice time, even though he's ranked between 3rd and 4th in ice time among our forwards for the past 4+ years!!)

Seriously, the whole "Filppula is a complete player" bit is about as outdated as Franzen being a "workhorse" and a "playoff beast."

But I digress...Back to Brunner and his futility!

Old
04-01-2013, 01:11 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
A thread like this makes it clear that Wings fans could probably use some down seasons just to get a dose of reality back. There are a number of very reasonable posts about how he's a rookie, played a ton, hit a wall which is expected, played more than most on the team, has stats anyone would have loved before his debut, been only as bad as other players around him really, is also learning the NHL game/learning to play a 2-way game, forechecks with fantastic effort, hasn't gotten a shot on Dats wing, played almost every game this season, done things we'd be thrilled if some of the over-loved (not overrated--it's too soon to tell) prospects had done them, and now been relegated to a position from which he's likely not to produce.

Chill people. So if our options are make the playoffs and lose badly in the first round or miss the playoffs... the real question is what Holland does this summer. I hope he re-signs Brunner. The guy is a pure scorer even if he's cold now. And he's working his tail off trying to be an NHLer (and a Wing with the 2-way responsibility to boot). He's barely 27 and fills in that age gap nicely too. And now that he's slumping he's going to be cheaper than before.

Remember, all we needed him to do was replace Hudler. He's done that. And he's going to be cheaper regardless. And if worst he's on Helm's line... that will work next year.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:13 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
And he's got such a solid two-way game that he's been bottom 3 among Wings forwards for even strength goals against when he's on the ice. For 2 years in a row.
so has Zetterberg

does he suck defensively too?

Old
04-01-2013, 02:45 AM
LeighDx13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Did Brunner not start the season with Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Sure it was short lived and I would like to see Pavel and Brunner together now, but people should stop saying he has never been with Datsyuk, he has, they also share the ice on the PP often.
To be honest, I keep forgetting that Still, it's something they should try now. Franzen-Datsyuk-Brunner. Both Pav and Mule can create space so Brunner can actually get his shot off.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:46 AM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
so has Zetterberg

In all honesty, Z has looked bad defensively many times this season. Very uncharacteristic.

04-01-2013, 03:06 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
so has Zetterberg

He's looked progressively worse in the past 2-3 years. As for this year, you'd have to be blind not to have noticed how downright awful his defense has been some nights. I'd actually argue he's been worse than Filppula in that regard this season.

Although technically he's only 4th in GA/60 this year (Brunner, Cleary, Flip).

Old
04-01-2013, 04:26 AM
Live from Rexall

Oilers fan here and as someone said earlier, I think Brunner has hit the same wall as J.Schultz just not being used to playing 80+ games. I think you have to keep they guy and see how he produces in a full regular season not a lockout ****ed up half season.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:22 AM
swisdan

Typical thread to find a scapegoat after a huge defeat!

Man, if you want to send Brunner back in Switzlerand, it's ok! I will be welcomed here.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Flowah
I choose to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisdan View Post
Typical thread to find a scapegoat after a huge defeat!

Man, if you want to send Brunner back in Switzlerand, it's ok! I will be welcomed here.
???

You're Damien?

Old
04-01-2013, 09:22 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
???

You're Damien?
Swiss, I think.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:33 AM
swisdan

Sorry. English is not my native language.. replace the I by he! And yes I m a swiss guy!

Closed Thread