HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Why is Legwand not a letter?

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 03:15 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

vCash: 500
Why is Legwand not a letter?

It's not a huge deal, and I'm not complaining. More so just pondering. Here's a guy that's been with the franchise since it's inception. I know he's not Wayne Gretzky to say the least, but for a veteran guy who's been a lifetime Predator I thought he'd be an obvious choice for an A.

As long as I've been watching the team, he's never had one except for here and there when somebody is injured.

But I'm pretty new, and I was just wondering if a more experienced fan could lend some insight as to what it is about Legwand that he's never really been part of the leadership, at least not on his jersey anyway.

03-30-2013, 03:48 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
From what I've heard, he just doesn't want a letter. He's been offered one. I don't know why he doesn't want a letter.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:57 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

I think its his choice. I think he doesnt like the pressure.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Byrddog

He is a letter

I

Invisable

Old
03-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Legwand never really stuck me as the leader type. He's the kind of guy that goes to work, does his job, then goes home. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old
03-30-2013, 03:37 PM
mollymcdeath
I'm drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Legwand never really stuck me as the leader type. He's the kind of guy that goes to work, does his job, then goes home. Nothing more, nothing less.
Yeah, it's just not his bag. He doesn't like to do many interviews either. He's a publicly quiet guy, talks a lot on the bench to a few guys and coaches but that's about the extent of it.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Legionnaire11

I can't find any links at the moment, but Trotz has definitely said in the past that Legwand has turned down a letter on multiple occasions.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Nitrous Mafia

yes, hes turned it down.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:31 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Legwand seems to be more of a behind-the-scenes kind of guy. I'm not surprised that he isn't fond of the idea of wearing a letter on his sweater.

03-31-2013, 03:42 PM
dulzhok

He's not a very good player, not a very good leader, and his lackadaisical attitude is evident on the ice and off the ice. Those are the main reasons.

He's one of the only player's Poile has called out for his lack of effort.

I've never heard such a thing he turned down an letter (other than on this board). I do know he wasn't even in consideration when Sullivan's A became available (Fisher, Erat were).

Maybe he doesn't want an A (not surprising with his attitude), but he shouldn't have one anyway. Last time we saw consistent effort from Legwand was in his contract year. Been a perimeter player ever since (a sucky one at that).

He maybe part of the reason for our mediocre success but he's also a big reason our success is mediocre.

HA!

Old
03-31-2013, 03:53 PM
RomanEmpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
He's not a very good player, not a very good leader, and his lackadaisical attitude is evident on the ice and off the ice. Those are the main reasons.

I've never heard such a thing he turned down an letter (other than on this board). I do know he wasn't even in consideration when Sullivan's A became available (Fisher, Erat were).

Maybe he doesn't want an A (not surprising with his attitude), but he shouldn't have one anyway. Last time we saw consistent effort from Legwand was in his contract year. Been a perimeter player ever since (a sucky one at that).

He maybe part of the reason for our mediocre success but he's also a big reason our success is mediocre.

HA!

Tell us how you really feel.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:30 PM
mollymcdeath
I'm drunk.

Quote:

HA!
That's quite a lot of blame for one player. And his stats aren't exactly lacking compared to the rest of the team. He's no a star player, but nobody has been this season. Sounds like you've got a personal problem with the guy, kicked your dog maybe?

Old
03-31-2013, 06:41 PM
glenngineer

He was a poor example off the ice when Belak passed. Took a full page out in the paper, arranged the services, consoled his family yet he's a poor example off the ice. Please. You want to criticize him for what he does on the ice, I can handle that, that's your opinion but when you say he's a poor example off of it, you're taking it too far.

Oh yeah, while we're at it, this is the same guy that played on a torn ACL during the playoffs for the team. Yeah, poor example.

The guy comes to work, is a leader without needing a letter and has been one of the few bright spots lately. I'm not sure what games you've been watching but it apparent that he is busting his tail out there. Because he doesn't light it up like you want him to does not mean he doesn't give a crap.

And yes, Legwand did kick his dog, and his cat, and ferret and his fish, etc..........

Old
03-31-2013, 07:17 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
He was a poor example off the ice when Belak passed. Took a full page out in the paper, arranged the services, consoled his family yet he's a poor example off the ice. Please.
Being sad when someone dies is not an example of NHL leadership. It was a nice gesture.

Legwand's effort comes and goes. Poile even called him out on it (never heard him personally call out a player). He goes through the motions 80% of the time. The only year he really drove the net was his contract year. He stays on the perimeter the vast majority of time.

He exactly the type of person we need to upgrade. Poile's complacency with these types of players is why Suter and Weber wanted out, and why our team is stuck.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:41 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Wow is all I can say about some of the comments here while remaining in the limits of the TOS.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:34 PM
sighthndlady

Gee, I thought we had finally gotten beyond making Leggy the whipping boy for the team. It's obvious whenever he's interviewed that the man is shy. He's gotten better, but as a youngster he looked terrified every time a camera came near. He often acts on the ice as if he has an "A", and you can see him talking with the kids on the bench all the time. Just a behind-the-scenes kind of guy.

Organizing a funeral is a bit more on the leadership end of things than just feeling sad, IMHO.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:53 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
Gee, I thought we had finally gotten beyond making Leggy the whipping boy for the team.
There are three certainties in life - death, taxes, and David Legwand being unfairly hated for being a #2 overall pick who doesn't score like Vinny Lecavalier.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
03-31-2013, 10:36 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
There are three certainties in life - death, taxes, and David Legwand being unfairly hated for being a #2 overall pick who doesn't score like Vinny Lecavalier.
And 4) People flipping out at the mention that we need an upgrade over the likes of Legwand, and 5) Soon after that, someone telling the Wade Belak story again.

Leggy is an aging mediocre talent with mediocre effort, and we sorely need an upgrade. Call it hate if you want, I call it wanting improvement.

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-31-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 09:35 AM
weeze

Leggy's time has come. He needs to go to a new team. I have only been following the Preds since 2002 but have always thought he was very nonchalant in his behavior and attitude on the ice. I don't hate or dislike the guy, I just think it is his time to move on. That's all.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:37 AM
alexmanu

I'm pretty sure Legwand has a NTC. I like the guy, I would prefer him to finish his career with the Preds.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:33 AM
deanwormer

As someone pointed out a week or so ago, both Leggy and Fish were in top 30 Center scoring last year; this year both in the top 60. Sorry to put facts out in response to the rhetoric and rants - I hate when people call me out for an opinion that's inconsistent with the facts, too.

An aside - only 19 teams had even 1 C in top 30 in scoring last year. Them both being in top 60 this year would seem to be consistent with what most on the board would say - they solid 2Cs. As much as I'd love a dynamic creator in the middle, they aren't the problem.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
And 4) People flipping out at the mention that we need an upgrade over the likes of Legwand, and 5) Soon after that, someone telling the Wade Belak story again.

Leggy is an aging mediocre talent with mediocre effort, and we sorely need an upgrade. Call it hate if you want, I call it wanting improvement.
On your #4: attempting to justify abruptly dumping someone you hate by pointing out a legit need for more skill and then suggesting that his removal is some kind of prerequisite to same is pretty transparent. The presence of a Legwand at #2C or #3C does not automatically preclude the possibility of getting a legit #1C, despite your fervent hopes.

On your #5: Is it or is it not relevant in the context of the usual vague accusations of his supposedly being a poor leader?

Seriously. All this is is "he was drafted #2 overall and he's not an All-Star, therefore he sucks and needs to go."

Old
04-01-2013, 11:39 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
As someone pointed out a week or so ago, both Leggy and Fish were in top 30 Center scoring last year; this year both in the top 60. Sorry to put facts out in response to the rhetoric and rants - I hate when people call me out for an opinion that's inconsistent with the facts, too.
Legwand is #60 in scoring for centers. That puts him as the worst 2nd line center in the NHL statistically. That sounds about right.

Quote:
Seriously. All this is is "he was drafted #2 overall and he's not an All-Star, therefore he sucks and needs to go."
Wrong Sigmund. All is comes down to is wanting to win.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:13 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Legwand is #60 in scoring for centers. That puts him as the worst 2nd line center in the NHL statistically. That sounds about right.

Wrong Sigmund. All is comes down to is wanting to win.
So since he was 27th in scoring last season and Fisher was 30th does that mean we had 2 first line centers?

Old
04-01-2013, 05:32 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
So since he was 27th in scoring last season and Fisher was 30th does that mean we had 2 first line centers?
It means we had two lower-end scoring line centers. They also fed off a hot powerplay, of which they were the least integral pieces.

You are also failing to take into account all the centers who didn't play a full schedule who would have easily surpassed Legwand and Fisher had they played a full season: Lecavalier, Koivu, Crosby, Staal, etc.

We had mediocre scoring centers last year, which is about the best we'e ever had and could hope for with these guys.

This year they're at the bottom of the pack. 60th in the league. Likely worst top 2 centers in the league.

Closed Thread