HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Top 20 prospects

Old
08-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Greatguru

vCash: 500
I think Latendresse is first mainly cuz he might be the answer to what we search for so many years: a power forward.

Damn I tought Maxwell would be higher because some ranked him in the first round. And do I really see Francis Lemieux before Ryan White or I need a fix? I'm a bit dissapointed that Ryan White ,Pave Valentenko and Cameron Cepek have no ratings. Hey, have a rating change in the list or they're the same at the last time?

But hey it's good to see Carey Price is making Gainey right.

It would be fun to have the comments of the author on his list.

Greatguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 08:13 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

I'm sure that he didn't see Chris Heino-Lindberg play all the time... I like the list and I like his opinion... In the top 5, 4 of the players will play some games in the NHL this year... I hate the fact that we don't have any D in that top 5... the only D that seems close to be NHL ready is Ryan O'byrne...

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
D'agostini IMO deserv more than that
I don't know why D'Agistini is the idol of this board... Maybe for his performance at the prospect camp in july... Very overestimated, imo, by some of this board... You forget too quickly Maxwell and White...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

I saw ''it's only his opinion'' quite often in the thread and I don't really agree...this list is like the official Habs top 20 that everyone will be able to see. It's the reference for many hf users so if the opinion of the writer is far off, well the opinion of many posters who don't know our prospect that much will also be far off.

I respect the writer and I don't totaly hate the list, but IMO, the list should be made by more than one person...

Oh, and Maxwell at 6.0C ?!?!?!?!? that's so far off...I mean, that guy is a two way foward, but he's a way more offensive player...he should have a 7...

Last edited by Freaky Habs Fan: 08-15-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Squeaky

"Any chef knows that the key to creating a successful meal requires the right ingredients. After years of owning a half-stocked pantry filled with a collection of odds and ends that didn’t quite add up, the Montreal Canadiens now have the luxury of looking at a cupboard filled with Cordon Bleu potential.

Of course, the best ingredients can taste tough or bitter if not allowed to ripen, and the overall depth of the Canadiens’ franchise allows the team the luxury to let the natural aging process work its magic. In the end, the Habs are hoping that their commitment to careful shopping will create a recipe that tastes like one thing – success. "

Lol, milk that analogy. Cordon Bleu potential? Cordon Bleu is something I see for sale in the microwave dinner section at my neighbourhood grocery store. Could we maybe have gone with Prime Rib, or rack of lamb or something?

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 09:15 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
2dMostInterestingMIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post

Lol, milk that analogy. Cordon Bleu potential? Cordon Bleu is something I see for sale in the microwave dinner section at my neighbourhood grocery store. Could we maybe have gone with Prime Rib, or rack of lamb or something?
A trip to France will do you good. Cordon Bleu has a meaning outside the freezer section, which is precisely why it has been abused by marketing types.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Any list is a good list, IMO. Nice writing by JM too.

Of course, I wouldn't have put Latendresse #1, but then, by putting Chipchura #1 instead I would have received even more hate mail.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Jason Menard
Hockey's Future Staff

Since you've asked, I'll reply.

Listen, I take my writing very seriously. I've been in the journalism gig for over a decade (my resumé's on my Web site: http://www.menardcommunications.com), and I have a number of jobs both in the corporate world and in the media, so my integrity is all-important to me.

Obviously, I can't get to every game that every prospect plays (my wife would shoot me), but I try to catch as many as I can either live or on the tube. As well, I talk to a lot of insiders, scouts, management, and other journalists. I'm in fairly regular contact with people like Trevor Timmins, Don Lever, etc... From that research (plus a lot of reading) I formulate my opinion.

That opinion is then vetted by the other writers and editors of Hockey's Future. They're allowed to put their two cents in, especially in the case if they've seen a prospect more often than I have.

Then, as you've said, it's simply one person's opinion. But, I hope you'll agree, it's an informed opinion.

It's not an easy list to put together because everyone has their favourites -- even those of us who are supposed to be unbiased. But I think it's accurate. I debated long and hard about bumping Latendresse to the top, but the fact of the matter is that I've heard a lot, both on and off the record, about how this kids is turning into a monster. He's dominating the competition he's in. Kostitsyn, the elder, is too mercurial. I'm not 100% sold on Price until I see what he can do on an adequate team. And Chipchura, while I love his leadership and grit, doesn't have the skill set that either Latendresse or Kostitsyn have.

In fact, if talent was all it took, Locke would still be on this list, but there's a lot to go in it.

Secondly, positioning is a factor. I was leery about putting Fischer at 7, but the fact is that defence is a need for the Habs, which puts a premium on his services. Power forward is too, which makes Latendresse all the more attractive of a prospect. To whit, Halak could probably be in the top 5 in the Toronto list I just completed, but due to the fact that he's behind both Price and Danis, he's less of an attractive prospect for the Habs -- and then think of what that does to Heino-Lindberg.

There you have it. I do the best I can with what I have. I hope you enjoy the writing, I hope you appreciate the effort. What you do with the information is up to you. You can agree, you can disagree, you can think I'm a monkey sidling up to a keyboard for all I care.

And, as those of you who have taken the chance to write to me know, I'll always write back. I appreciate the time you take in reading and responding to my work, so it's the least I can do to repay your investment.

All the best,

Jay

Jason Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Menard View Post

Listen, I take my writing very seriously. I've been in the journalism gig for over a decade (my resumé's on my Web site: http://www.menardcommunications.com), and I have a number of jobs both in the corporate world and in the media, so my integrity is all-important to me.

Obviously, I can't get to every game that every prospect plays (my wife would shoot me), but I try to catch as many as I can either live or on the tube. As well, I talk to a lot of insiders, scouts, management, and other journalists. I'm in fairly regular contact with people like Trevor Timmins, Don Lever, etc... From that research (plus a lot of reading) I formulate my opinion.

That opinion is then vetted by the other writers and editors of Hockey's Future. They're allowed to put their two cents in, especially in the case if they've seen a prospect more often than I have.

Then, as you've said, it's simply one person's opinion. But, I hope you'll agree, it's an informed opinion.

It's not an easy list to put together because everyone has their favourites -- even those of us who are supposed to be unbiased. But I think it's accurate. I debated long and hard about bumping Latendresse to the top, but the fact of the matter is that I've heard a lot, both on and off the record, about how this kids is turning into a monster. He's dominating the competition he's in. Kostitsyn, the elder, is too mercurial. I'm not 100% sold on Price until I see what he can do on an adequate team. And Chipchura, while I love his leadership and grit, doesn't have the skill set that either Latendresse or Kostitsyn have.

In fact, if talent was all it took, Locke would still be on this list, but there's a lot to go in it.

Secondly, positioning is a factor. I was leery about putting Fischer at 7, but the fact is that defence is a need for the Habs, which puts a premium on his services. Power forward is too, which makes Latendresse all the more attractive of a prospect. To whit, Halak could probably be in the top 5 in the Toronto list I just completed, but due to the fact that he's behind both Price and Danis, he's less of an attractive prospect for the Habs -- and then think of what that does to Heino-Lindberg.

There you have it. I do the best I can with what I have. I hope you enjoy the writing, I hope you appreciate the effort. What you do with the information is up to you. You can agree, you can disagree, you can think I'm a monkey sidling up to a keyboard for all I care.

And, as those of you who have taken the chance to write to me know, I'll always write back. I appreciate the time you take in reading and responding to my work, so it's the least I can do to repay your investment.

All the best,

Jay
Hey Jason, thanks for taking the time to reply to us.

I just have one objection, I think Lappierre should be 1 or 2 spots higher, but other than that, I like your list very much.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Pascal

It's a pretty accurate list to me, and he is right that the needs of the Habs right now put certain prospects higher than they would be on other teams.

Good stuff JM, and thanks for your time and efforts.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:27 AM
KaptainKourage*

Anyone find disturbing the fac Latendresse is ahead of Price and AKo ?..

Fischer 7C ? Maxwell 6C ? SKo ahead of Emelin ? I tends to agree with most of hockeysfuture ranking but im not sure about this one

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Menard View Post

All the best,

Jay
But, at this moment, you don't think Fisher will have a better career in the NHL than Danis??? And Francis Lemieux will be better than White? Same thing for Heino-Lindberg with Maxwell...

Frankly, i don't understand this Top 20 and many others of this Montreal Forum...

You can built your Top 20, but:
Maxwell > D'Agostini (for others...)
Fisher must be in the Top 5
White must be in the Top 15
No Francis Lemieux...

Old
08-15-2006, 10:37 AM
wedge

what I don't get is that Kost is a 8.5 B, LAtendresse a 7.5 C and still, Latendresse is ranked number one.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Habsfan18

Fischer is 7.0C?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Twister mtl

anybody here knows if any or our prospects will be in nhl 2007?

Twister mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudToBeAHabFan View Post
what I don't get is that Kost is a 8.5 B, LAtendresse a 7.5 C and still, Latendresse is ranked number one.
It's not the same guy...

Old
08-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Le Tricolore
J-E-T-S!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister mtl View Post
anybody here knows if any or our prospects will be in nhl 2007?

as long as they've played one NHL game, the should be in it. They aren't allowed to put them in otherwise, due to some rule by the NHLPA. Crosby wasn't even in NHL 06, before they released a roster update.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Twister mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
as long as they've played one NHL game, the should be in it. They aren't allowed to put them in otherwise, due to some rule by the NHLPA. Crosby wasn't even in NHL 06, before they released a roster update.
So this would mean kost coté danis and lapierre will be there?

Twister mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 11:04 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Aren't Aubin and D'Agostini signed to pro contracts? I could swear I saw that posted here early this summer.
You're right, they both did.

Quote:
-Aubin would like to continue his development in the AHL, but will most likely return to Lewiston as an overager in order to get more ice time.

-D’Agostini earned an invite to the team’s prospect camp and they’ll be looking for him to continue his leadership and his development in the OHL ranks this season.
They'll both play for Hamilton.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Aarex

I don't understand how lats can be #1 when the rating show

1. Andrei Kostsitsyn 8.5B
2. Guillaume Latendresse 7.5C

He is kinda contradicting himself?

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Jakomyte

I for one appreciate the effort that was put into this list by the writer and think it was very good reading a little bit about more than 20 of our prospects. I'm sure everyone has their own opinion about what the actual order should be, and this is one of those opinions.

I think we should all just realize that there's no reason to freak out if we feel that the 'official' ranks of hfboards do not match our personal opinions. I find it quite absurd that people here actually seem upset and angry simply because they don't agree with these rankings. Its not like this site is some sort of payed service. We are being given access to a document written up by a professional writer for FREE. Why the heck should ANY of us be complaining?

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Jason Menard
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified View Post
I don't understand how lats can be #1 when the rating show

1. Andrei Kostsitsyn 8.5B
2. Guillaume Latendresse 7.5C

He is kinda contradicting himself?
I actually didn't write that. That predates me. I'll be tackling the new rankings one of these days...

So, no I'm not contradicting myself. I'm contradicting the guy that came before me. Secondly, rating and rankings can change. I would say that was a fair assessment last year, but Latendresse has developed far more than anyone anticipated. Before I was thinking Shayne Corson, now I'm thinking Brendan Shanahan... Kostitsyn is about the same as before.

Therefore, even if I had created those numbers, it wouldn't be a contradiction to revisit them in light of new information. In fact, to adhere to old numbers simply because they're there would be irresponsible.

My rankings are based on the present-day... When I get a chance I'll update the ratings.

Thanks,

Jay

Jason Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I for one appreciate the effort that was put into this list by the writer and think it was very good reading a little bit about more than 20 of our prospects. I'm sure everyone has their own opinion about what the actual order should be, and this is one of those opinions.

I think we should all just realize that there's no reason to freak out if we feel that the 'official' ranks of hfboards do not match our personal opinions. I find it quite absurd that people here actually seem upset and angry simply because they don't agree with these rankings. Its not like this site is some sort of payed service. We are being given access to a document written up by a professional writer for FREE. Why the heck should ANY of us be complaining?
We are discussing, it's ok... It's nice to have a list up-to-date, but we must also have the better list it shows our best prospects. It's not a simple list of the best players at this moment but a list of best potential players... Maxwell and White should be higher, it's just a fact, not an opinion...

Old
08-15-2006, 11:46 AM
BigTimer*

Thanks for the effort but I personally think that's an awful list.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlusty the clown View Post
You're right, they both did.

They'll both play for Hamilton.
I'm looking forward to following Hamilton's upcoming season for that reason. With Aubin, D'Agostini, O'Byrne, Chipchura, and Grabovsky, this year seems to be one of the best infusions of recently drafted talent the Habs have had in years. The last really good wave was the quartet of Plekanec, Higgins, Perezhogin and Komisarek, as it seems fair to say that Urqhart, Linhart, Lambert and others from 2002-2003 are misses. On the other hand, Lapierre and Kostitsyn will probably have very big roles in Hamilton this year if they don't play in Montreal.

I've been playing along with the New Top 20 Prospects this off-season, but the truth is that I'm waiting for about mid-season to get a better read on a lot of these prospects. 40 games isn't much to go by, but it's still 40 games at a competitive professional level. It should be enough to give us a sense of whether a guy like D'Agostini, for instance, has the kind of game that some feel will translate fairly well at a pro level. (Sidebar: I think some posters rank him highly precisely for that reason, despite not having the super stats or skills of some other prospects.)

Obviously, 40 games won't make a or break a prospect. Perezhogin and Kostitsyn's first 40 games were disappointing. But then again, Plekanec, Komisarek and Higgins showed that they were going to be players. In a way, it doesn't really matter who gets the 23rd roster spot, because the big prospect development story should be in Hamilton this year. If it follows the pattern from the 2001-2002 draft classes, next year (2007-2008) could be as good or better as the Higgins et al wave. Now that's something to look forward to, especially if Emelin somehow finds his way over.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote