HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2013, 10:28 PM
  #51
MP92
S.R.
 
MP92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 500
Im not even getting my hopes up for a top 5 pick anymore. I get on board with wanting them to get one, and they start winning. So now that I kind of want them to build on these last 2 games and get in the playoffs, they'll probably start losing again. This team is driving me nuts

MP92 is offline  
Old
03-31-2013, 10:28 PM
  #52
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
Two wins in a row, right? Well, they haven't won three all year and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. This isn't a good hockey club right now. I don't see a big win streak coming on anytime soon. Wednesday is Montreal, Thursday is Toronto and Saturday is Winnipeg. Honestly, I think we're looking at two losses. The team played really well against Boston on Saturday, but they got lucky against Washington today. I still think this is a team that finishes with a top five pick and from Holmgren's comments a few days ago, I think he finally gets it that you can't buy a number one defenseman and it needs to be drafted and developed. For that very reason, I feel pretty comfortable that they aren't going to deal off all their assets or make rash moves. They're probably going to sit tight and just let the chips fall where they may (I haven't spoken with anyone over the past few days as everyone has been out at OHL Playoffs scouting).

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 12:13 AM
  #53
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,057
vCash: 500
With how decimated this team is, frankly I'm not quite sure how they've won 2 in a row. I don't know what to think..I know they are better than what they've shown but now with the injuries it's a bit ironic that they've rallied or maybe not b/c really a lot of the game is mental. Really though if this team sneaks into the playoffs by some miracle it will not serve them well for the future but as a professional team you can't just tank deliberately. Having said this I don't see a big winning streak coming but they might pull out that elusive 3 wins in a row deal...

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 12:21 AM
  #54
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
With how decimated this team is, frankly I'm not quite sure how they've won 2 in a row. I don't know what to think..I know they are better than what they've shown but now with the injuries it's a bit ironic that they've rallied or maybe not b/c really a lot of the game is mental. Really though if this team sneaks into the playoffs by some miracle it will not serve them well for the future but as a professional team you can't just tank deliberately. Having said this I don't see a big winning streak coming but they might pull out that elusive 3 wins in a row deal...
Even a top 10 pick in this draft will be good, the only player that could have a HUGE impact for the flyers would be Seth jones, and we would not be getting him so...

I

Snipsnap12 is offline  
Old
04-01-2013, 08:41 AM
  #55
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Even a top 10 pick in this draft will be good, the only player that could have a HUGE impact for the flyers would be Seth jones, and we would not be getting him so...

I
I disagree. I'm hoping they have their sights set on Nurse as a more realistic draft target. If Nurse goes fifth, I'd hope the Flyers would either be right there or could swing a deal – that would be much less costly than trading up to the top 3 – to move up and get him. After Nurse, however, are Monahan, Lindholm and Zadorov, so even having to settle with one of these 3 would be very good. The things I've read on here about Monahan have made me less than hopeful, but I have no first-hand knowledge about him and there's no HF write-up on him.

BernieParent is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  #56
deftones1986
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Is there ANY realistic way we could trade + be in position to get Jones & Nurse??

Don't just flame, I mean I'm ready to see some young highly respected D-men on this team and I'd be willing to give up most of our "untouchables" to do this, but I'm not so sure any of you would be.

I'd do something like 2013 2nd + 2014 1st + Read/Couturier

FOR

2013 1st (Draft Jones)

Then at #4 or 5 we take Nurse

Crazy?
Ballsy?
Flat Out INSANE?

deftones1986 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
  #57
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones1986 View Post
Is there ANY realistic way we could trade + be in position to get Jones & Nurse??

Don't just flame, I mean I'm ready to see some young highly respected D-men on this team and I'd be willing to give up most of our "untouchables" to do this, but I'm not so sure any of you would be.

I'd do something like 2013 2nd + 2014 1st + Read/Couturier

FOR

2013 1st (Draft Jones)

Then at #4 or 5 we take Nurse

Crazy?
Ballsy?
Flat Out INSANE?
I dont think the team (most likely Florida) drafting first overall will want to trade that pick and not receive another first in this years draft, considering this is supposed to be the best draft since '03. Most likely 2013 first, Couts(depending on what pick we have), + something small. Or 2013 1st + a lot more.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
  #58
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones1986 View Post
Is there ANY realistic way we could trade + be in position to get Jones & Nurse??

Don't just flame, I mean I'm ready to see some young highly respected D-men on this team and I'd be willing to give up most of our "untouchables" to do this, but I'm not so sure any of you would be.

I'd do something like 2013 2nd + 2014 1st + Read/Couturier

FOR

2013 1st (Draft Jones)

Then at #4 or 5 we take Nurse

Crazy?
Ballsy?
Flat Out INSANE?
Absolutely insane. Way too much to move up in the draft. We have to first figure out where we ill be drafting before we can even think about moving up in the draft. If the Flyers finish out of the playoffs and are in the top 5, I say just take the BPA. Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin, Mackinnon, Nurse, would all be there. I just hope if we do struggle and miss the playoffs, somehow we win the lottery.

You are giving up way too much to move up a couple spots in the draft though.

EDIT: Missed that you didn't have our first in there. We won't get two top 5 picks in this draft! Lol there is probably a better chance of us winning the lottery than us getting two top 5ers without giving up our own.

EDIT#2: Say we are sitting 4th overall. Whoever has #1 is willing to move down because they are trying to stock pile more and more picks in this years deep draft. Going off previous deals in drafts(of course not for the top picks though) we would probably have to include our 2nd rounder and maybe 4th. Maybe a pick from the next year along with our 1st overall. There is so many variables though you just can't get a feel of what can happen yet.

Say Calgary gets 1st overall

Flyers trade #4+2nd rounder(35th)+4th(2014)
for
#1 overall

Does it make it happen, I have no clue, but teams usually don't move a bunch of players or prospects at the draft to move up. It generally is done with draft picks.


Last edited by Prongo: 04-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Prongo is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:17 PM
  #59
whitstifier
Registered User
 
whitstifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones1986 View Post
Is there ANY realistic way we could trade + be in position to get Jones & Nurse??

Don't just flame, I mean I'm ready to see some young highly respected D-men on this team and I'd be willing to give up most of our "untouchables" to do this, but I'm not so sure any of you would be.

I'd do something like 2013 2nd + 2014 1st + Read/Couturier

FOR

2013 1st (Draft Jones)

Then at #4 or 5 we take Nurse

Crazy?
Ballsy?
Flat Out INSANE?
No. And, if the organization is smart, neither player will debut with the Flyers until they've spent at least a year or two in the minors. Defensemen take a whole lot of time and patience to develop and reach their projected ceilings if they ever do. The team would probably do better to draft a talented forward and then use Couturier+ to trade for a #1 or #2 defenseman since Laughton makes Couts expendable.

whitstifier is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:19 PM
  #60
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 11,863
vCash: 500
Beating a struggling boston team and a huge comeback against the caps have most likely knocked us out of contention for a top 5 pick.

Calgary and Dallas are really going to be tanking hard for a high draft pick and we may look back at those two games right before the trade deadline as the reason why we did not make any deals and not get a top 5 pick.

Jtown is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:22 PM
  #61
deftones1986
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Well thanks for not flaming me for this, I just want Holmgren to right this ship and all this talk about the Flyers being interested in the overpaid rental players....is making me nervous.

Here's crossing our fingers that he holds firm until after tomorrow and we can still talk about who we draft this year...top 5 pick or not.

deftones1986 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:24 PM
  #62
YuioIklo
Registered User
 
YuioIklo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Beating a struggling boston team and a huge comeback against the caps have most likely knocked us out of contention for a top 5 pick.

Calgary and Dallas are really going to be tanking hard for a high draft pick and we may look back at those two games right before the trade deadline as the reason why we did not make any deals and not get a top 5 pick.
Uh, or the injuries maybe?

YuioIklo is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 06:25 PM
  #63
deftones1986
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Absolutely insane. Way too much to move up in the draft. We have to first figure out where we ill be drafting before we can even think about moving up in the draft. If the Flyers finish out of the playoffs and are in the top 5, I say just take the BPA. Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin, Mackinnon, Nurse, would all be there. I just hope if we do struggle and miss the playoffs, somehow we win the lottery.

You are giving up way too much to move up a couple spots in the draft though.

EDIT: Missed that you didn't have our first in there. We won't get two top 5 picks in this draft! Lol there is probably a better chance of us winning the lottery than us getting two top 5ers without giving up our own.

EDIT#2: Say we are sitting 4th overall. Whoever has #1 is willing to move down because they are trying to stock pile more and more picks in this years deep draft. Going off previous deals in drafts(of course not for the top picks though) we would probably have to include our 2nd rounder and maybe 4th. Maybe a pick from the next year along with our 1st overall. There is so many variables though you just can't get a feel of what can happen yet.

Say Calgary gets 1st overall

Flyers trade #4+2nd rounder(35th)+4th(2014)
for
#1 overall

Does it make it happen, I have no clue, but teams usually don't move a bunch of players or prospects at the draft to move up. It generally is done with draft picks.
All makes sense, I just had an adrenaline rush that we could get the top 2 D-men in this years draft.

Too much coffee at work today lol.

deftones1986 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 11:08 PM
  #64
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/?show=league

Judging from these current standings, I think the Flyers will definitely finish with a Top 9 pick, unless someone unexpected wins the lottery then it would be a Top 10. Colorado and Calgary look like guaranteed top 2 with Florida right there even though they won 3 games in a row. So that leaves pick 4 as probably the highest pick the Flyers could earn. Tampa and Buffalo are playing better but Phoenix and Carolina are falling fast and Dallas just about traded its whole team. Should be a close finish.

Psuhockey is online now  
Old
04-02-2013, 11:10 PM
  #65
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
So if we end up with say the 7th overall pick, what would it take to get to the 1st to select Jones? I am assuming that the Panthers would have the 1st

FLYERSFAN18 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 11:14 PM
  #66
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
So if we end up with say the 7th overall pick, what would it take to get to the 1st to select Jones? I am assuming that the Panthers would have the 1st
It'd be significant. Sean Couturier, Braydon Coburn, our 1st and our 2nd or something along those lines.

Think of it this way; what would make Florida so enticed, theyd forego the prospect of a potential superstar like jones, mackinnon or Drouin?

orange is better is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 11:19 PM
  #67
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
It'd be significant. Sean Couturier, Braydon Coburn, our 1st and our 2nd or something along those lines.
I was thinking something close to that. Would hate to give up Couts. I would rather give up our first 2 picks in this and next years draft than give up Couts. That my be crazy but thats how I feel.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 11:23 PM
  #68
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
So if we end up with say the 7th overall pick, what would it take to get to the 1st to select Jones? I am assuming that the Panthers would have the 1st
I would rather just move up to 5th or 6th and just select Nurse. Wouldn't cost anywhere near as much. Nurse might be there at 7 also.

Let him develop the right way though, send him back to juniors for a year than the AHL after that. We have problems rushing these kids sometimes.

Prongo is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 11:25 PM
  #69
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I was thinking something close to that. Would hate to give up Couts. I would rather give up our first 2 picks in this and next years draft than give up Couts. That my be crazy but thats how I feel.
I don't think that gets it done. Florida would want someone that can contribute to their success sooner. They'd ask for couturier. They need a potential #1 C to build around, and while mackinnon would be that too, I think they'd be enticed at the idea of adding Couts, plus a #2-#3 dman who's still relatively young, a high 1st to draft another likely impact player, plus a high 2nd this year.

Could be a really beneficial move for Florida.

orange is better is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 11:37 PM
  #70
PayItForward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I don't think that gets it done. Florida would want someone that can contribute to their success sooner. They'd ask for couturier. They need a potential #1 C to build around, and while mackinnon would be that too, I think they'd be enticed at the idea of adding Couts, plus a #2-#3 dman who's still relatively young, a high 1st to draft another likely impact player, plus a high 2nd this year.

Could be a really beneficial move for Florida.
I don't see them trading the pick if they get the 1st overall. It's not just the player that could help their team, MacKinnon is a player that you can market. They hype of a first overall helps. That would be really beneficial for Florida.

PayItForward is offline  
Old
04-02-2013, 11:43 PM
  #71
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
I don't see them trading the pick if they get the 1st overall. It's not just the player that could help their team, MacKinnon is a player that you can market. They hype of a first overall helps. That would be really beneficial for Florida.
That's also true.

orange is better is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 01:11 AM
  #72
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Well, we better all say our prayers to the hockey gods for us to win the lottery so we can finally have our #1 guy and keep the rest of our young players. We can dream I guess.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
  #73
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
The Flyers are the fifth worst team in the standings right now. With games against Montreal, Toronto and Winnipeg, there should be at least two losses right there. I'd say that if the Flyers finish with the fifth worst record, they are in a prime spot for Nurse.

I also think Holmgren is going to go shopping at the draft and I'm pretty sure that they're going to end up with a new defender or two to add to the team.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
  #74
PropJoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 362
vCash: 500
Flyers still have a shot at a top 3 pick. Look at our defense. I know we beat Boston and Washington with those guys but honestly that has to be an aberration. You don't win at the NHL level with Gus, Gervais, Huskins, and Lauridsen getting significant defensive minutes.

PropJoe is offline  
Old
04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
  #75
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
I'm just happy we still have our first for this year and 2014, for now anyway

kicksave27 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.