HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 10:28 PM
MP92
S.R.

vCash: 500
Im not even getting my hopes up for a top 5 pick anymore. I get on board with wanting them to get one, and they start winning. So now that I kind of want them to build on these last 2 games and get in the playoffs, they'll probably start losing again. This team is driving me nuts

Old
03-31-2013, 10:28 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Two wins in a row, right? Well, they haven't won three all year and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. This isn't a good hockey club right now. I don't see a big win streak coming on anytime soon. Wednesday is Montreal, Thursday is Toronto and Saturday is Winnipeg. Honestly, I think we're looking at two losses. The team played really well against Boston on Saturday, but they got lucky against Washington today. I still think this is a team that finishes with a top five pick and from Holmgren's comments a few days ago, I think he finally gets it that you can't buy a number one defenseman and it needs to be drafted and developed. For that very reason, I feel pretty comfortable that they aren't going to deal off all their assets or make rash moves. They're probably going to sit tight and just let the chips fall where they may (I haven't spoken with anyone over the past few days as everyone has been out at OHL Playoffs scouting).

Old
04-01-2013, 12:13 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

With how decimated this team is, frankly I'm not quite sure how they've won 2 in a row. I don't know what to think..I know they are better than what they've shown but now with the injuries it's a bit ironic that they've rallied or maybe not b/c really a lot of the game is mental. Really though if this team sneaks into the playoffs by some miracle it will not serve them well for the future but as a professional team you can't just tank deliberately. Having said this I don't see a big winning streak coming but they might pull out that elusive 3 wins in a row deal...

Old
04-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
With how decimated this team is, frankly I'm not quite sure how they've won 2 in a row. I don't know what to think..I know they are better than what they've shown but now with the injuries it's a bit ironic that they've rallied or maybe not b/c really a lot of the game is mental. Really though if this team sneaks into the playoffs by some miracle it will not serve them well for the future but as a professional team you can't just tank deliberately. Having said this I don't see a big winning streak coming but they might pull out that elusive 3 wins in a row deal...
Even a top 10 pick in this draft will be good, the only player that could have a HUGE impact for the flyers would be Seth jones, and we would not be getting him so...

I

Old
04-01-2013, 08:41 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Even a top 10 pick in this draft will be good, the only player that could have a HUGE impact for the flyers would be Seth jones, and we would not be getting him so...

I
I disagree. I'm hoping they have their sights set on Nurse as a more realistic draft target. If Nurse goes fifth, I'd hope the Flyers would either be right there or could swing a deal – that would be much less costly than trading up to the top 3 – to move up and get him. After Nurse, however, are Monahan, Lindholm and Zadorov, so even having to settle with one of these 3 would be very good. The things I've read on here about Monahan have made me less than hopeful, but I have no first-hand knowledge about him and there's no HF write-up on him.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:06 PM
deftones1986

Is there ANY realistic way we could trade + be in position to get Jones & Nurse??

Don't just flame, I mean I'm ready to see some young highly respected D-men on this team and I'd be willing to give up most of our "untouchables" to do this, but I'm not so sure any of you would be.

I'd do something like 2013 2nd + 2014 1st + Read/Couturier

FOR

2013 1st (Draft Jones)

Then at #4 or 5 we take Nurse

Crazy?
Ballsy?
Flat Out INSANE?

Old
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones1986 View Post
Is there ANY realistic way we could trade + be in position to get Jones & Nurse??

Don't just flame, I mean I'm ready to see some young highly respected D-men on this team and I'd be willing to give up most of our "untouchables" to do this, but I'm not so sure any of you would be.

FOR

2013 1st (Draft Jones)

Crazy?
Ballsy?
Flat Out INSANE?
I dont think the team (most likely Florida) drafting first overall will want to trade that pick and not receive another first in this years draft, considering this is supposed to be the best draft since '03. Most likely 2013 first, Couts(depending on what pick we have), + something small. Or 2013 1st + a lot more.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

FOR

2013 1st (Draft Jones)

Crazy?
Ballsy?
Flat Out INSANE?
Absolutely insane. Way too much to move up in the draft. We have to first figure out where we ill be drafting before we can even think about moving up in the draft. If the Flyers finish out of the playoffs and are in the top 5, I say just take the BPA. Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin, Mackinnon, Nurse, would all be there. I just hope if we do struggle and miss the playoffs, somehow we win the lottery.

You are giving up way too much to move up a couple spots in the draft though.

EDIT: Missed that you didn't have our first in there. We won't get two top 5 picks in this draft! Lol there is probably a better chance of us winning the lottery than us getting two top 5ers without giving up our own.

EDIT#2: Say we are sitting 4th overall. Whoever has #1 is willing to move down because they are trying to stock pile more and more picks in this years deep draft. Going off previous deals in drafts(of course not for the top picks though) we would probably have to include our 2nd rounder and maybe 4th. Maybe a pick from the next year along with our 1st overall. There is so many variables though you just can't get a feel of what can happen yet.

Say Calgary gets 1st overall

Flyers trade #4+2nd rounder(35th)+4th(2014)
for
#1 overall

Does it make it happen, I have no clue, but teams usually don't move a bunch of players or prospects at the draft to move up. It generally is done with draft picks.

Last edited by Prongo: 04-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old
04-02-2013, 06:17 PM
whitstifier

Quote:

FOR

2013 1st (Draft Jones)

Crazy?
Ballsy?
Flat Out INSANE?
No. And, if the organization is smart, neither player will debut with the Flyers until they've spent at least a year or two in the minors. Defensemen take a whole lot of time and patience to develop and reach their projected ceilings if they ever do. The team would probably do better to draft a talented forward and then use Couturier+ to trade for a #1 or #2 defenseman since Laughton makes Couts expendable.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Jtown

Beating a struggling boston team and a huge comeback against the caps have most likely knocked us out of contention for a top 5 pick.

Calgary and Dallas are really going to be tanking hard for a high draft pick and we may look back at those two games right before the trade deadline as the reason why we did not make any deals and not get a top 5 pick.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:22 PM
deftones1986

Well thanks for not flaming me for this, I just want Holmgren to right this ship and all this talk about the Flyers being interested in the overpaid rental players....is making me nervous.

Here's crossing our fingers that he holds firm until after tomorrow and we can still talk about who we draft this year...top 5 pick or not.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:24 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Beating a struggling boston team and a huge comeback against the caps have most likely knocked us out of contention for a top 5 pick.

Calgary and Dallas are really going to be tanking hard for a high draft pick and we may look back at those two games right before the trade deadline as the reason why we did not make any deals and not get a top 5 pick.
Uh, or the injuries maybe?

Old
04-02-2013, 06:25 PM
deftones1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Absolutely insane. Way too much to move up in the draft. We have to first figure out where we ill be drafting before we can even think about moving up in the draft. If the Flyers finish out of the playoffs and are in the top 5, I say just take the BPA. Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin, Mackinnon, Nurse, would all be there. I just hope if we do struggle and miss the playoffs, somehow we win the lottery.

You are giving up way too much to move up a couple spots in the draft though.

EDIT: Missed that you didn't have our first in there. We won't get two top 5 picks in this draft! Lol there is probably a better chance of us winning the lottery than us getting two top 5ers without giving up our own.

EDIT#2: Say we are sitting 4th overall. Whoever has #1 is willing to move down because they are trying to stock pile more and more picks in this years deep draft. Going off previous deals in drafts(of course not for the top picks though) we would probably have to include our 2nd rounder and maybe 4th. Maybe a pick from the next year along with our 1st overall. There is so many variables though you just can't get a feel of what can happen yet.

Say Calgary gets 1st overall

Flyers trade #4+2nd rounder(35th)+4th(2014)
for
#1 overall

Does it make it happen, I have no clue, but teams usually don't move a bunch of players or prospects at the draft to move up. It generally is done with draft picks.
All makes sense, I just had an adrenaline rush that we could get the top 2 D-men in this years draft.

Too much coffee at work today lol.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Psuhockey

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/?show=league

Judging from these current standings, I think the Flyers will definitely finish with a Top 9 pick, unless someone unexpected wins the lottery then it would be a Top 10. Colorado and Calgary look like guaranteed top 2 with Florida right there even though they won 3 games in a row. So that leaves pick 4 as probably the highest pick the Flyers could earn. Tampa and Buffalo are playing better but Phoenix and Carolina are falling fast and Dallas just about traded its whole team. Should be a close finish.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:10 PM
FLYERSFAN18

So if we end up with say the 7th overall pick, what would it take to get to the 1st to select Jones? I am assuming that the Panthers would have the 1st

Old
04-02-2013, 11:14 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
So if we end up with say the 7th overall pick, what would it take to get to the 1st to select Jones? I am assuming that the Panthers would have the 1st
It'd be significant. Sean Couturier, Braydon Coburn, our 1st and our 2nd or something along those lines.

Think of it this way; what would make Florida so enticed, theyd forego the prospect of a potential superstar like jones, mackinnon or Drouin?

Old
04-02-2013, 11:19 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
It'd be significant. Sean Couturier, Braydon Coburn, our 1st and our 2nd or something along those lines.
I was thinking something close to that. Would hate to give up Couts. I would rather give up our first 2 picks in this and next years draft than give up Couts. That my be crazy but thats how I feel.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I would rather just move up to 5th or 6th and just select Nurse. Wouldn't cost anywhere near as much. Nurse might be there at 7 also.

Let him develop the right way though, send him back to juniors for a year than the AHL after that. We have problems rushing these kids sometimes.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:25 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
I was thinking something close to that. Would hate to give up Couts. I would rather give up our first 2 picks in this and next years draft than give up Couts. That my be crazy but thats how I feel.
I don't think that gets it done. Florida would want someone that can contribute to their success sooner. They'd ask for couturier. They need a potential #1 C to build around, and while mackinnon would be that too, I think they'd be enticed at the idea of adding Couts, plus a #2-#3 dman who's still relatively young, a high 1st to draft another likely impact player, plus a high 2nd this year.

Could be a really beneficial move for Florida.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:37 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I don't think that gets it done. Florida would want someone that can contribute to their success sooner. They'd ask for couturier. They need a potential #1 C to build around, and while mackinnon would be that too, I think they'd be enticed at the idea of adding Couts, plus a #2-#3 dman who's still relatively young, a high 1st to draft another likely impact player, plus a high 2nd this year.

Could be a really beneficial move for Florida.
I don't see them trading the pick if they get the 1st overall. It's not just the player that could help their team, MacKinnon is a player that you can market. They hype of a first overall helps. That would be really beneficial for Florida.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:43 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
I don't see them trading the pick if they get the 1st overall. It's not just the player that could help their team, MacKinnon is a player that you can market. They hype of a first overall helps. That would be really beneficial for Florida.
That's also true.

Old
04-03-2013, 01:11 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Well, we better all say our prayers to the hockey gods for us to win the lottery so we can finally have our #1 guy and keep the rest of our young players. We can dream I guess.

Old
04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

The Flyers are the fifth worst team in the standings right now. With games against Montreal, Toronto and Winnipeg, there should be at least two losses right there. I'd say that if the Flyers finish with the fifth worst record, they are in a prime spot for Nurse.

I also think Holmgren is going to go shopping at the draft and I'm pretty sure that they're going to end up with a new defender or two to add to the team.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
PropJoe

Flyers still have a shot at a top 3 pick. Look at our defense. I know we beat Boston and Washington with those guys but honestly that has to be an aberration. You don't win at the NHL level with Gus, Gervais, Huskins, and Lauridsen getting significant defensive minutes.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
kicksave27

I'm just happy we still have our first for this year and 2014, for now anyway

Closed Thread