Use Burmi Or Trade Him

Old
03-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I agree that Kane is great as usual, and should get more ice, I was also saying this last year when Kane played 14 minutes per night. This is my point, what Noel is doing to Burmi this year he did to Kane last year. What did Kane do wrong last year? HE ONLY PICKS ON YOUNG PLAYERS! I really like Noel but this is my only beef with him, how many times have you seen him yell at someone on the bench, three times for me, on Kane, Burmi and Scheif. Don't you think Noel was pissed today when Buff gave up and let a guy walk in 3 on 1. Of course he was, but he will never yell at a vet. This is my frustration.
I completely disagree with this assertion. The coach here is no more difficult on young players than is any other coach in the league. The difference between older players and young players is that older players are professional men who've earned the right due many years of reliable service to make mistakes without being publicly berated for it; they are simply expected to know better in the future in other words given their years of experience. Young players have not really earned that right.

How can you claim that Noel "will never yell at a vet" BTW? If he does yell at older players it most surely is done behind closed doors because that is one of the perks of being a longtime player. Young players that don't adhere to systems play conversely can expect to find themselves eventually stapled to the bench, especially those that have been doing so for two seasons running.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:48 PM
puck stoppa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I completely disagree with this assertion. The coach here is no more difficult on young players than is any other coach in the league. The difference between older players and young players is that older players are professional men who've earned the right due many years of reliable service to make mistakes without being publicly berated for it; they are simply expected to know better in the future in other words given their years of experience. Young players have not really earned that right.

How can you claim that Noel "will never yell at a vet" BTW? If he does yell at older players it most surely is done behind closed doors because that is one of the perks of being a longtime player. Young players that don't adhere to systems play conversely can expect to find themselves eventually stapled to the bench, especially those that have been doing so for two seasons running.
Just because you have the best avatars doesn't mean you know anything

puck stoppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Just because you have the best avatars doesn't mean you know anything
I'll just accept that as a concession that you agree with what I said.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:00 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
I'll just accept that as a concession that you agree with what I said.

Im too much of a fan of his to do that. (And I dont know why but it just burns me so bad when Ladd turns the puck over, and the other team scores) I was just looking at guys drafted the same year as him and many others seem to be slow in their development. Johansen, Neiderreiter, Connolly and Granlund are all developing at their own rate. All of these guys have bright futures in my opinion and I would say the same thing about Burmi as well.

Old
03-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 264
Quote:
Im too much of a fan of his to do that. (And I dont know why but it just burns me so bad when Ladd turns the puck over, and the other team scores) I was just looking at guys drafted the same year as him and many others seem to be slow in their development. Johansen, Neiderreiter, Connolly and Granlund are all developing at their own rate. All of these guys have bright futures in my opinion and I would say the same thing about Burmi as well.
If Burmi is around in 5 years you can rest assured that Noel will not yell at him. Because he will be a vet and will already have gone through it. With the caveat that Noel is around, of course.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:12 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
If Burmi is around in 5 years you can rest assured that Noel will not yell at him. Because he will be a vet and will already have gone through it. With the caveat that Noel is around, of course.
Maybe it's part of team initiation.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:42 AM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
Buff was benched on the next PP after giving up on that play.

Burmi needs to be sent a very serious message. There is very serious flaws in his game, especially with the puck. The type of defensive game he plays is not compatible with the type of offensive game he plays, as well as higher skill linemates.

He needs a serious one on one with lots of video to back it up. He makes glaring errors even the most uneducated hockey fan can pick out, and continues to make these errors. These include:

- Holding on to the puck too long
- When crossing the blue line with the puck he tends to spin towards the boards, with his back towards the play and stays there until he loses the puck
- Not making himself available for the puck carrier in the offensive zone
- Not dumping and chasing properly, which our system demands unless there's a very quick transition and we catch the other team off guard
- Not shooting enough or driving towards the net

Last edited by allan5oh: 04-01-2013 at 12:48 AM.
allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:02 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
He has to clear waivers though now... no turning back now
It was more of a point and less of a suggestion.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Buff was benched on the next PP after giving up on that play.

Burmi needs to be sent a very serious message. There is very serious flaws in his game, especially with the puck. The type of defensive game he plays is not compatible with the type of offensive game he plays, as well as higher skill linemates.

He needs a serious one on one with lots of video to back it up. He makes glaring errors even the most uneducated hockey fan can pick out, and continues to make these errors. These include:

- Holding on to the puck too long
- When crossing the blue line with the puck he tends to spin towards the boards, with his back towards the play and stays there until he loses the puck
- Not making himself available for the puck carrier in the offensive zone
- Not dumping and chasing properly, which our system demands unless there's a very quick transition and we catch the other team off guard
- Not shooting enough or driving towards the net
Now that you've analyzed Burmi, perhaps you can do this for some of the vets. I would suggest starting with Jokinen.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:00 AM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

Jokinen is a good soldier. I don't think he's a very smart guy, but he will do whatever the coach says. I think he's definitely lost a step. I have no explanation why he's -17 though.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:29 PM
ATLhockey437

Hang onto Burmi, would be a mistake to let him go. Kid is going to figure it out soon enough.

ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 11:56 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Jokinen is a good soldier. I don't think he's a very smart guy, but he will do whatever the coach says. I think he's definitely lost a step. I have no explanation why he's -17 though.
Love this, thought the same thing. I like Oli but he gives 100% and is -17, and yet our young guy, Burmi can't cut it.

Old
04-02-2013, 12:02 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Watched Burmi's shifts tonight and didn't notice him do much good or bad, he just doesn't stand out, pretty tough to get enthused about anything either Burmi, Jokinen or Mittens (and Wellwood) do on the ice.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:05 AM
TroubaFan1

Keep him, we are going to be losing Wellwood, Mittens, and Antropov potentially this off season. With three spots potentially opening up front next season, Burmi, should get more time on the ice, as well as more time on the PP. A real chance to show what he's got.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:14 AM
mondo3

Burmi will shine in a couple of years when we get a coach who can accommodate his style of play

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:14 AM
kirby11

What would it take from buffalo to get burmistrov? Only untouchables: Cody Hodgson, Mikhail Grigorenko, and Tyler Myers. Tyler Ennis is on a plane of "I'd really prefer not to trade him, but would strongly consider it if needed" mostly because without him we have no speed/decent secondary scoring this year

Last edited by kirby11: 04-02-2013 at 12:21 AM.
kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:17 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Winnipeg and Buffalo could work something out...

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Watched Burmi's shifts tonight and didn't notice him do much good or bad, he just doesn't stand out, pretty tough to get enthused about anything either Burmi, Jokinen or Mittens (and Wellwood) do on the ice.
Not much memorable from the whole season. Actually, 2 things - he poked ahead a pass to Kane in a game, and Kane scored on the breakaway. 2nd was him getting smoked by Orpik last week when he tried to dance in. Also someone linked a youtube video of a good wrist shot that he made a year or two ago.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Fuelled by Passion

Trade him to Detroit....

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:24 AM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:

Didn't you argue that Burmistrov was a NHL vet because he was half way to qualifying for pension? Now you say the vets get different perks that young players, like Burmistrov, don't.

So what is he? A vet or a young player?

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:30 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Didn't you argue that Burmistrov was a NHL vet because he was half way to qualifying for pension? Now you say the vets get different perks that young players, like Burmistrov, don't.

You've really taken those separate comments and placed them out of their intended context and are simply arguing semantics for the sake of it. He clearly is a player that is not tenured enough to get by on a demonstrated history of not playing the way he has been requested to play by this club over the past two seasons. He may have played 180 games or so in the NHL yet he often performs like a raw junior. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 04-02-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old
04-02-2013, 07:36 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
Burmi will shine in a couple of years when we get a coach who can accommodate his style of play
so the coach should accommodate his style to just one player, as opposed to the rest of the team?

It should be the one player adjusting to the coach.

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:03 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
so the coach should accommodate his style to just one player, as opposed to the rest of the team?

It should be the one player adjusting to the coach.
IMO no coach is going to accommodation Burmi's current style of play. Even the most talented players in the league for the most part play a North - South game. Those players with the talent to be creative have learned to use it selectively to generate offense not to negate it. When/if Burmi learns this he will soon leave Noel's doghouse.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:09 AM
KCjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post

it’s graded on three sliding scales. The games played = vet scale. The age = young player scale. And finally the I don’t like this player = make my argument to fit whatever point I want to make at the time scale.

We all have our favorites and least favorites, for whatever rational or irrational reasons. He doesn’t like Burmi and it doesn’t matter what anyone says, you won’t convince him otherwise. I don’t like Hainsey, and you’ll never convince me he’s a Top 4 D-man.

KCjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:16 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
The player should be accomodating the system the coach is implementing. IF a player is either too dumb or too stubborn to work within the system he shouldn't be playing at this level. A successful team certainly doesn't hire coaches to satisfy the likes of Burmistrov who has proven ziltch in the NHL.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote