HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid-season Devils defense rankings #3

View Poll Results: Who is the third best Devils defender?
Henrik Tallinder 2 2.90%
Peter Harrold 0 0%
Anton Volchenkov 0 0%
Marek Zidlicky 31 44.93%
Bryce Salvador 14 20.29%
Adam Larsson 22 31.88%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Mid-season Devils defense rankings #3

1. Andy Greene (~90 percent of the votes)
2. Mark Fayne ( 21/64 or ~31% of the votes)

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:23 PM
CerebralGenesis

Zidlicky

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:06 PM
NjDevsRR

Zid the old kid.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:21 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Zids by himself provides a completely different dimension to our defense, we'd still be in the stone age without him.

But Larsson has made SO much progress this year, and keeps continuing to grow the way we want him to.

This one is too close to call for me, I'll give Zids the slight edge because of all the hate he seems to get on this board.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 11:31 PM
Status Quo*

vCash: 50
Can't vote because of infractions but Zids would be my vote just because of his offense.

Status Quo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Went with Zidlicky. I missed the first two polls but I'm surprised Fayne still got the #2 spot. I think he should be there, but I would've thought this season might have hurt his status in the eyes of fans.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Zids but mostly for offense. And I've seen a lot of talk around here lately about people wanting to re sign Zids next year for a one-two year contract. My take? I'd most definitely be cool with having him back for $3 million a year for two. Only if it means Volchenkov is bought out, and even better if we could get something for Tallinder too. If Volch goes and even if Tallinder stays though I'd still be delighted to have him back. Would be cool if he could even mentor Gelinas too at one point.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Devils86

We must see two different Larssons...I see someone who doesnt skate well,cant shoot,gets coned way too often and handles the puck like a grenade,,but other than that hes a star

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
If you look at Larsson and see someone who can't skate well, then I can't imagine you're being objective about anything else.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Larsson was actually doing real well for a stretch there when he first got into some games earlier this season. He's still playing fine to me. Any team that has Anton Volchenkov playing over Adam Larsson in the year 2013 is a joke.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:34 AM
VaxjoDevil

Zid, but I could have gone with Sal.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:46 AM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
If you look at Larsson and see someone who can't skate well, then I can't imagine you're being objective about anything else.
Watch Larsson try to start skating backwards, accelerate quickly, or change direction and his footwork is poor. His straight ahead skating is nice and fluid. I would hope that his good straight ahead skating means he'll eventually pick up better footwork.

Devils731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Salvador should have won the last one, I'm going with him again. Warrior, blocks shots, hits people, and doesn't get coned often like that other idiot who tries to play the same style (hint: Volchenkov).

EDIT: **** me! I voted Larsson by mistake. ****.

Chessarmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
He goes forward fine..but his feet are slow..He makes up for it with his reach,,,laterally he doesnt skate well and thats his biggest issue

Old
04-01-2013, 01:36 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Greene

Fayne
Zidlicky
Larsson

Salvador
Harrold

Tallinder
Volchenkov

IMO

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:38 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
He goes forward fine..but his feet are slow..He makes up for it with his reach,,,laterally he doesnt skate well and thats his biggest issue
Larsson's reach/stick-play is pretty amazing. His strongest asset right now. I've honestly not seen any other defender in the past few years pull it off to such an extent.

He'll let players beat him to the outside but his stick knocks the puck away 90% of the time. The two defensive area I think he needs improving on are tying the guy in front of the net up (he is not very good right now in these situations) and making smart decisions with the puck to get it out of the zone (decent).

Old
04-01-2013, 02:00 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Larsson's reach/stick-play is pretty amazing. His strongest asset right now. I've honestly not seen any other defender in the past few years pull it off to such an extent.

He'll let players beat him to the outside but his stick knocks the puck away 90% of the time. The two defensive area I think he needs improving on are tying the guy in front of the net up (he is not very good right now in these situations) and making smart decisions with the puck to get it out of the zone (decent).
I think he makes solid choices with the puck but he doesnt handle it well so even when those decisions are correct the play some times breaks down from a lack of puck handling skills.I will stick by my view that unless he vastly improves his overall skating his ceiling is a very good SAH D man (Not that there is anything wrong with that) Its what Victor Headman has become and what Tyler Myers hopes he still can be

Old
04-01-2013, 02:02 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Larsson's defense has shown signs of brilliance, but his offense (which was supposedly impressive) has been non-existent this year. He has regressed significantly in that department. I want to see him look like a smooth skater out there, instead of treating the puck like a grenade, he needs to skate it out more. I know he has the capability to do so, why play such a limited stay at home style? If the coaches are telling him to do this, seems like a bad idea to me. He has a good shot, good offensive instincts, but they're nowhere to be found right now

Chessarmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 03:01 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
I think he makes solid choices with the puck but he doesnt handle it well so even when those decisions are correct the play some times breaks down from a lack of puck handling skills.I will stick by my view that unless he vastly improves his overall skating his ceiling is a very good SAH D man (Not that there is anything wrong with that) Its what Victor Headman has become and what Tyler Myers hopes he still can be
I'm going to stick with what almost every single scout was saying before the draft about this guy's potential. He just needs to be given enough time to adjust to the NHL game. The proverbial 'slowing of the game' that is IMO even more important for defensemen than forwards.

I look for a few things in young players to gauge their potential. The things that can't be taught.. hockey sense, great instincts and raw physical talent. Larsson has all of those. He's lacking in areas that, well, I'm happy he lacks in relatively. He can work on his skating game (see: Tavares) and his breakout abilities.. but you're not taking almost any other young defenseman and teaching them how to see the game like Larsson does. That's years of development that are already irreversible.

I think the guy can be very, very good. I'm quite happy with what we've seen so far, especially considering he hasn't been asked (or allowed) to work offensively as of yet. I'm okay with that. I want a defenseman... after all. He's going to be a damn good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
Larsson's defense has shown signs of brilliance, but his offense (which was supposedly impressive) has been non-existent this year. He has regressed significantly in that department. I want to see him look like a smooth skater out there, instead of treating the puck like a grenade, he needs to skate it out more. I know he has the capability to do so, why play such a limited stay at home style? If the coaches are telling him to do this, seems like a bad idea to me. He has a good shot, good offensive instincts, but they're nowhere to be found right now
He's being held back and it's not a terrible thing. Think who they have behind the bench right now.. one of the best stay at home defensemen to play the game. Let him learn that game and then make small adjustments that open things up offensively. I'd rather that than a guy who is being too offensive and needs to make small adjustments defensively (see: Zidlicky, at times).

His shot needs work. It's not scaring anybody... but a 20 year old slapshot shouldn't really inspire fear in the NHL. But his offensive instincts are superb.

We have to all keep in mind that this guy was just thrown into the NHL at the age of 19. He didn't get to play a season in the AHL to help the transition, he went right into the fire. The game will slow down for him, as it does for everyone. He'll settle in.. and then he'll start anticipating when he has time and room to skate the puck up rather than quickly dumping it off.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:17 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Zids brings something we'd lack without him, yes, but I feel good when Larsson is on the ice which I can't say about anybody else on this list.

Larsson, baby.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
I think it is the coaches that are holding him back offensively. He is being taught to make the safe play first. This is not a bad thing for a young defenceman.

For the poll, I think it's easily Zidlicky.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Larsson's poor skating skills are his biggest weakness.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:43 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

zidlicky’s ‘offense’ is not worth his liability, by a long shot. he fills a need, but does so at the expense of his own end coverage.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Zidlicky

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Salvador should have won the last one, I'm going with him again. Warrior, blocks shots, hits people, and doesn't get coned often like that other idiot who tries to play the same style (hint: Volchenkov).

EDIT: **** me! I voted Larsson by mistake. ****.
Salvador is not our best defenseman or even the third best. He's a decent SAH guy who got overpaid because of one good playoff run.

Minus, Zidlicky's defensive mistakes, he makes up for it in points. Something Sal does not do.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote